Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ag Is Done

Music Industry, Audiogalaxy Settle

Mon Jun 17, 8:33 PM ET

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - File sharing service Audiogalaxy removed most of its music files for download Monday as part of an out-of-court settlement reached with the recording and music publishing industries.

The agreement also calls for Audiogalaxy to pay the Recording Industry Association of America ( news - web sites) and the National Music Publishers Association a "substantial sum based on Audiogalaxy's assets," RIAA and the NMPA said in a release.

Calls placed to Audiogalaxy founder Michael Merhej and other Audiogalaxy officials by The Associated Press Monday night were not immediately returned Monday evening.

RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy said financial terms of the deal were confidential.

"The agreement is that they stop the unauthorized sharing of music," Lamy said. "As to how they go about doing that is entirely up to them."

Searches for a variety of artists on Audiogalaxy's Web site Monday evening turned up the same response: "Search prohibited. You cannot request this song due to copyright restrictions. Please try a different song."

The deal ends a May 24 copyright infringement lawsuit filed against Audiogalaxy in which the RIAA and NMPA accused the firm of "willfully and intentionally" encouraging and facilitating millions of users to copy and distribute copyright work of artists.

Audiogalaxy, which grew out of a music search engine at the University of Texas, allows its more than 15 million registered users to download songs, albums, cover artwork and software.

The Texas firm reported more than 1.5 billion monthly hits in November, and makes money by selling online advertising and subscriptions for access to premium services.

Merhej has previously said that Audiogalaxy was taking measures to prevent copyrighted music from being illegally shared, but RIAA officials complained that the measures were insufficient.

The RIAA represents all the major recording companies. The NMPA represents music publishing firms as well as songwriters through its licensing affiliate, the Harry Fox Agency.

Audiogalaxy uses a peer-to-peer network system that is considered more difficult to regulate than Napster ( news - web sites), which the music industry effectively shut down in the courts last year.

"This should serve as a wake-up call to the other networks that facilitate unauthorized copying," RIAA chief executive Hilary Rosen said in the release. "The responsibility for implementing systems that allow for the authorized use of copyrighted works rests squarely on the shoulders of the peer-to-peer network."

Copyright © 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

:tongue:

How can you proudly call urself a DJ when you only CD's? I mean...dont get me wrong there are Great DJ's that use CD's but not ALL CD's. Anywayz, I talked to alot of people in some groups on AG and most are switching over to Winmx but still using the AG Messageboards to post new song titles etc...There are ways around this. AIM works too, but i dunno who i trust. Good-Bye to a great Program.

Originally posted by clubbhoppintg

How can you proudly call urself a DJ when you only CD's? I mean...dont get me wrong there are Great DJ's that use CD's but not ALL CD's. \

Great question.......

How about the fools that call themselves djs and play CDs and spin at some local bar in a desperate attempt to consider themselves wanted........

I find it amusing to witness at times people passing simplicity as an art form....like the guy at the hot dog stand who has that ever so smooth method of laying the saurkraut nice and even across the slab of pork.

How can you proudly call urself a DJ when you only CD's? I mean...dont get me wrong there are Great DJ's that use CD's but not ALL CD's. Anywayz, I talked to alot of people in some groups on AG and most are switching over to Winmx but still using the AG Messageboards to post new song titles etc...There are ways around this. AIM works too, but i dunno who i trust. Good-Bye to a great Program.

i think he was referrin to draper:laugh:

How can you proudly call urself a DJ when you only CD's? I mean...dont get me wrong there are Great DJ's that use CD's but not ALL CD's. Anywayz, I talked to alot of people in some groups on AG23 and most are switching over to Winmx but still using the AG Messageboards to post new song titles etc...There are ways around this. AIM works too, but i dunno who i trust. Good-Bye to a great Program.

well, in my opinion the whole bashing of DJs who use CDs is all a big conspiracy involving the big name DJs who 99.23% of the time also produce and put out vinyl, the record companies, the mob, the illuminati and of course, the knights of columbus.

its a well concerted effort to stigmatize those who play CDs as inferior so they'll go out and buy records instead of copying all their shit.....otherwise all the producers (who many times are the big DJs themselves) will lose the money invested in the production, funded by the mob and KoC. What the illuminati have to do with all of this? There's 23 reasons why, I could tell you all of them, but then they'd kill you, me and all my immediate relatives.

all joking aside....from a technical perspective i think its much harder to mix CDs than vinyl, thats why most CDJ's suck and get bashed on. You simply dont have the resolution you have with vinyl when mixing, not to mention ease of use. plus, what good shit ever comes out on CD anyway? if you plan on playing any half decent shit, you're gonna have to go out and buy records, period. CDs are only good when you're playing somewhere and dont feel like bringing 3 crates of records with you or when you wanna play shit you produced/remixed yourself and dont feel like paying 50 bucks for a dubplate....thats really it.

Originally posted by dr0ne

all joking aside....from a technical perspective i think its much harder to mix CDs than vinyl, thats why most CDJ's suck and get bashed on. You simply dont have the resolution you have with vinyl when mixing, not to mention ease of use. plus, what good shit ever comes out on CD anyway? if you plan on playing any half decent shit, you're gonna have to go out and buy records, period. CDs are only good when you're playing somewhere and dont feel like bringing 3 crates of records with you or when you wanna play shit you produced/remixed yourself and dont feel like paying 50 bucks for a dubplate....thats really it.

So correct to a certain degree......its easier to beat match CDs because they got the counter and the length of the track digitally right there in front of you.......but you can't replicate the different techniques or tricks that comes with using vinyl.

BTW......I wasn't only referring to Draper.....

Originally posted by djjonstephen

So correct to a certain degree......its easier to beat match CDs because they got the counter and the length of the track digitally right there in front of you.......but you can't replicate the different techniques or tricks that comes with using vinyl.

BTW......I wasn't only referring to Draper.....

im not sure how having the length counter makes mixing easier. if by counter you mean the BPM counter....anyone who trusts that thing needs serious help.

the reason I think mixing vinyl is easier is because of the resolution you have. with a CD, you can't speed up and down a record as precisely as you can with vinyl.

let's do the math:

circumference of a record = about 37.7 inches

let say its a 45RPM record. In one minute it'll spin 45 times.

that's 37.7 in. * 45 = 1696.5 in. a minute

that's a resolution of about 0.035 of a second per inch. A _really_ good DJ can mix at fractions of an inch, like 1/10 of an inch....that's 3.5 milliseconds. Most CDJ things show only in tenths of a second (10ms+) but you dont even really have that because the jogwheel thing isn't accurate half the time.

Not to mention ease of use. Have you ever tried using the damn things? Like trying to beatmatch two CDs is horrendous having to use that jogwheel fucking thing....getting a tight mix out of that you have to be really good. The CDJ1000 makes this easier effectively for the reason above: think of the record as a very high resolution "joystick" used to control time. The CDJ makes the jogwheel area larger like vinyl so you have more control (ie: timing resolution).

So for these reasons, I can't quite see how its easier to get a good mix out of CDs than out of turntables.

Originally posted by dr0ne

im not sure how having the length counter makes mixing easier. if by counter you mean the BPM counter....anyone who trusts that thing needs serious help.

the reason I think mixing vinyl is easier is because of the resolution you have. with a CD, you can't speed up and down a record as precisely as you can with vinyl.

let's do the math:

circumference of a record = about 37.7 inches

let say its a 45RPM record. In one minute it'll spin 45 times.

that's 37.7 in. * 45 = 1696.5 in. a minute

that's a resolution of about 0.035 of a second per inch. A _really_ good DJ can mix at fractions of an inch, like 1/10 of an inch....that's 3.5 milliseconds. Most CDJ things show only in tenths of a second (10ms+) but you dont even really have that because the jogwheel thing isn't accurate half the time.

Not to mention ease of use. Have you ever tried using the damn things? Like trying to beatmatch two CDs is horrendous having to use that jogwheel fucking thing....getting a tight mix out of that you have to be really good. The CDJ1000 makes this easier effectively for the reason above: think of the record as a very high resolution "joystick" used to control time. The CDJ makes the jogwheel area larger like vinyl so you have more control (ie: timing resolution).

So for these reasons, I can't quite see how its easier to get a good mix out of CDs than out of turntables.

You're right......I never said anything about quality or ease of mixing once you know what you are doing on vinyl.....LONG LIVE VINYL......but people just starting out that want that quick fix and instant dj status and title will buy some CD decks and have the machine do it for them. Not that it sounds particularly good or anything........

Whatever.......vinyl is the answer.