Clubplanet Nightlife Community

If you could have a Phazon in any club in NYC...

Originally posted by kingartur

I think its goin to be corny if all the clubs had the same system

yea same here...i mean it kinda seems like shit is going that route..i mean ya got arc,roxy,shelter and who knows whats next with one....but actually...what would be the big deal really? I mean...a really damn good sound system is more or less essential in any club ya know?

Originally posted by quoth

yea same here...i mean it kinda seems like shit is going that route..i mean ya got arc,roxy,shelter and who knows whats next with one....but actually...what would be the big deal really? I mean...a really damn good sound system is more or less essential in any club ya know?

. . Yeah, to an extent . . However some rooms develop flavor that the system can complement . . . A warmth that's distinct to the space . . If everything is engineered the same, you lose that distinctness . .

. . . It's a trade off .. .

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . Yeah, to an extent . . However some rooms develop flavor that the system can complement . . . A warmth that's distinct to the space . . If everything is engineered the same, you lose that distinctness . .

. . . It's a trade off .. .

the system's equalized according to room geometry and speaker placement. unless the two rooms are EXACTLY the same length, height and width wise then two systems will never sound the same. that's why they pay audio guys to come into clubs to EQ their sound, cuz its different for each place.

plus what's this deal with ppl thinking "phazon" is like some sort of single system that they come in and just put in? its not....its just basically like any other club where the guy comes in, discusses what they need and how much $$$ they're willing to pay and he designs a system using basically off the shelf parts. its good because the guy's just a really good consultant. ppl act as if its some gear he designed himself which it isn't.....he tweaked some mixers and some crossovers and that's about it. too much hype if you ask me.

Originally posted by dr0ne

plus what's this deal with ppl thinking "phazon" is like some sort of single system that they come in and just put in? its not....its just basically like any other club where the guy comes in, discusses what they need and how much $$$ they're willing to pay and he designs a system using basically off the shelf parts. its good because the guy's just a really good consultant. ppl act as if its some gear he designed himself which it isn't.....he tweaked some mixers and some crossovers and that's about it. too much hype if you ask me.

. . . Ding Ding!! . . correct . . .If I'm not mistaken, they're stacks and cabinets are all JBL . . . Just rebranded and Maybe , just maybe, tweaked . ..

. . . Ding Ding!! . . correct . . .If I'm not mistaken, they're stacks and cabinets are all JBL . . . Just rebranded and Maybe , just maybe, tweaked . ..

yes.....mostly JBL but other parts too. The guy tweaks some of the crossovers, i doubt its rebranded.

considering clubs like code, MoS, TLV, Stereo, the End, and Fabric (among others) that have awesome systems that are not Phazon, I'd like to see more variety in clubland. Phazon does get too much hype anyway. As for what club needs a new system, I'd vote Centro. Theirs sucks.

its not like every club in ny sounds the same eve nif we didi have ALL PHAZONS

its the quality of work steve puts into his Systems that make them supior to most......i love what Steve can do, and iv heard EVERYONE of his installs in person, From ibiza, to london, to amsterdam to NY, fuck iv even heard it in Tokyo.....so

over all, his ability, to tweak, and perfection, makes him the Best out there, and heads up, cause were getting to more phazons, 2 :) Crobar> ofcourse.......and a little birdie is telling me The Church?

welll see

But shut up, everyone complains about EVERYTHING, lol

come this fall, we will have the ost phazon Systems in any other city, in the world

how can anyone complain?

Ny is kinda picking up, lets be happy kids..

Smile FUCKERS

Hahahah

Originally posted by jaysea

But shut up, everyone complains about EVERYTHING, lol

come this fall, we will have the ost phazon Systems in any other city, in the world

how can anyone complain?

Ny is kinda picking up, lets be happy kids..

Smile FUCKERS

Hahahah

hey shut up we're not complainers! just bastards......bastardly dastardly cynical people. thank you.

A phazon system consists of an overall design from Steve Dash as he analyzes the materials and dimensions of the room. Roxy is obviously a different room than arc, so there were specific considerations when choosing the cabinents. Cabinent design is basically just physics. Most are built to his specs at custom shops altho there are some off the shelf units we use. Processing is done via his own analog crossovers and eq's as well as his own software in top end digital processors. Even when off the shelf cabinents are used, the programming of the processors is custom instead of using the oem programs.

There will be a phazon mixer out soon which was designed from the ground up. It is currently at the metal shop phase, which basically just means it has to be packaged.

Once the system is designed, the cabinents are tested and further programming is done at another location to look for any real world quirks that may slightly vary in the code.

It isn't just picking out a few boxes out of a catalog and making a smiley face out of the eq, each job calls for very specific details.

I'm glad y'all notice, it makes doing the installs that much more fun

take it from someone that gets his hands dirty

Ah people that understand that there is no miracle piece of equiptment called a 'phazon' that you put into a rack and call it a day. As far as I am concerned they are over-rated. They do use JBL gear, they do a MINOR modification to the crossovers in the JBL cabinets. They have a rack mount EQ that they 'say' is tweaked with something custom (dont really thing it matters much). thats about it. Other then that they are a consulting sound engineering firm that comes out and installs equiptment. I have personally done a number of club installs (largest one is in toronto) and you can get the same, or better sound then any Phazon system if the system is designed by someone who knows what they are doing, and designs and tweaks the system around the rooms acustical layout. The key is getting the system EQ'd so that you can null out any reflections that you may get from walls, or other solid objects- at their own respective resonant frequencies they will

a.)vibrate and sound like shit- blurring the low end

b.)reflect the highs in the music- meaning that the people in the club hear the same sound twice- once coming out of the speaker cabinets, and again a few millsec later after it refects.

those are the top 2 reasons that cause people to be unhappy with a clubs sound system. With the proper planning for the interior construction as well as the sound system almost any space can be made to sound good. The key is getting someone who knows what they hell they are doing in to do the consulting...and in NYC this is just another example of how politics/name recognition and who knows who's buddy spoil it for everyone...

Bern

Comments below:

Originally posted by Randy

Processing is done via his own analog crossovers and eq's as well as his own software in top end digital processors. Even when off the shelf cabinents are used, the programming of the processors is custom instead of using the oem programs.

There is still nothing unique about a Phazon install though..the only thing that sets them apart is that the installer knows how to run a TC Electronics Finalizer or equivalent DSP and can tweak it...and honestly in the year 2002 the fact that they are still using analog crossovers dosnt say much...

Once the system is designed, the cabinents are tested and further programming is done at another location to look for any real world quirks that may slightly vary in the code.

It isn't just picking out a few boxes out of a catalog and making a smiley face out of the eq, each job calls for very specific details.

Basicly it is- you just said that the off the shelf DSP are just programmed by a Phazon tech to tweak them...sounds to me like its more like

-survery the room, do some simple math to figure out the specs for cabinets.

-pick a few boxes (Crossovers, DSP, etc) out of a catalog

-set them up

-let someone who knows what the hell they are doing, and dosnt have a tin ear like many in the industry do, tweak the boxes to get the best sound out of them.

just my 2 cents worh of observations...

Bernie

Originally posted by Randy

A phazon system consists of an overall design from Steve Dash as he analyzes the materials and dimensions of the room. Roxy is obviously a different room than arc, so there were specific considerations when choosing the cabinents. Cabinent design is basically just physics. Most are built to his specs at custom shops altho there are some off the shelf units we use. Processing is done via his own analog crossovers and eq's as well as his own software in top end digital processors. Even when off the shelf cabinents are used, the programming of the processors is custom instead of using the oem programs.

There will be a phazon mixer out soon which was designed from the ground up. It is currently at the metal shop phase, which basically just means it has to be packaged.

I'm glad y'all notice, it makes doing the installs that much more fun

take it from someone that gets his hands dirty

i don't think anyone is dissing their setup....compared to other clubs phazon setups leaves them in the dust. but of course, thats cuz most of the time those clubs are setup by a friend of a friend of some schmoe who works at guitar center and got his 18 month bullshit associate degree in "sound engineering" and now thinks he knows his shit.

what irks me about their whole marketing hype is that they make it seem like they're using some fucking revolutionary whizbang star trek technology of the year 3000 when in fact it's the same concepts, technology and equipment used in many other places, with the difference that they actually have the skill to set it up properly.

listen im an MSEE and my field was DSP so i know all this shit you're talking about....i know its not just picking up some JBL's at the Wiz and hanging them off the celing, but cmon....easy on the hype.