Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Reactions to MTV Preparty - Sasha & Moby

First of all I'd like to say that I hate MTV. I use to hate it because all they play is some cheesy pop and awful R&B and the most sleezy hip hop. But this was by far their biggest F***-up. These organizers/promoters had a perfect chance to throw the most unbelievable party in the best city for the best crowd, and they screwed everything up.

Here's my beef:

About 90% of these thousands of people came to see Sasha, and how long does he play? 25 minutes - 5 records.

Ok he's one of the best dj's in the world, how many times these MTV tech-morons have power go out? - only 3 times.

How long does some stupid hard rock band play the most aweful and annoying music? About twice as much as Sasha.

I understand that it's free and you can't expect much more, but this is just F***ing RIDICULOUS!!! :mad:

no offense, but if you knew that MTV caters to the cheesy pop, rock and hip hop crowd, wouldn't you expect them push those sorts of acts more than sasha?

don't get me wrong, i'm no advocate of the cheese MTV plays, but what else can ya expect from them...

Just imagine if Digweed had actually not been sick - were they gonna give the both of them 45 mins????? I mean thats b.s. Sasha spun 4 (well 5 if u count the f*ck up in the beginning) songs and where would've Diggers fit in? IMO this event sucked - Moby was OK, Our Lady Peace kinda substandard, and that girl who spun in the beginning was horrible. Any DJ that has to keep mixing her name into the records she was spinning is just plain awful. Glad I had nice buzz going from drinking at the Village Idiot prior to entering or else it really wouldve been a waste of an evening.

-Trancer:rolleyes:

Originally posted by magilicuti

can't expect much for free, he has a point

I disagree. This is supposed to be an industry powerhouse presenting some of the best performers in their genres. Free or not, the reviews that I'm seeing are simply laughable.

. . . there is something to be said for the fact that they went to such a length as to have people get tickets beforehand . . I mean, at least they could make sure the power stayed on the whole night . . .

. . It was probably another clever way to harvest a whole bunch of stock footage for the editing floor . . .

Flat out, it was a waste of time for most of us to get tickets that weren't needed. Especially those of us who trekked into the city to get em. Then after being at work and rushing on in, not being allowed admittance because they let whatever mob in no matter what.

It was predictable though, I was only expecting an hour for Sasha. However, the fact that the sound system was totally laughable, that did surprise me. As a matter of fact, I wouldnt doubt Sasha just plain walked off because of it......

Anyhow, show was lame in my opinion but what can you do? One good thing Ive taken from it was that MTV did at least, recognize the existance of good electronic music...:)

Originally posted by myrlin

One good thing Ive taken from it was that MTV did at least, recognize the existance of good electronic music...:)

or maybe they looked up in a magazine who was ranked the 1 and 2 djs in the world and booked them, not bothering to give them the allotment of time they deserved.

Originally posted by myrlin

Flat out, it was a waste of time for most of us to get tickets that weren't needed. Especially those of us who trekked into the city to get em. Then after being at work and rushing on in, not being allowed admittance because they let whatever mob in no matter what.

I agree with this fact.. because I know people that went all the way to the city to try and get tickets and there were no more so it deterred them from even going to the show.. sounds like they didn't miss much, but that sux that tickets were irrelevant anyways. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

you're the genius now and a tuff guy on the internet no less.

now shut the fuck up and shut the fuck up.

Originally posted by highmay

bottom line is this should have been managed better, but MTV fucked it up...

now fuck off and work on your website...

Originally posted by stashuk

Sasha didn't walk off, they cut the power off so Moby could go on, right in the middle of the most awesome peak of Expander. That's when people start heading for the exits.

Yeah. Right after sasha walked off. Almost everyone arund me just turned and started walking towards the exit. Moby started doing the whole shtick about pee and transvestites and titanic.... WTF? SHUT UP! Just because you sold a million or 2 of records doesnt mean you can be an idiot. Yeah, but you get what you pay for.

ok, i was very disappointed too. its bizarre that an MTV production couldn't get the sound system to hold together. i don't think that they "cut" the power on him so moby could go on. i think that the system went down again for hiim for some reason.

if you add up all the down time plus the time sasha spun, it was about an hour i think. and its possible that they put moby on cause sasha was like "fuck this, i can't spin if the shits gonna go down again"

either way, while disappointing and hard to believe that MTV couldn't make this work in their home town, it was free, so no big deal...

Originally posted by djqwest

you're the genius now and a tuff guy on the internet no less.

now shut the fuck up and shut the fuck up.

huh?? shut the fuck up and shut the fuck up?? in the great (paraphrased) words of Jules Winnfield: it's called English, muthafucka...do you speak it??

and am I a "tuff" guy?? you're calling me a volcanic rock??

as I've said once before:

www.m-w.com muthafucka...

. . . also, and I was thinking about this . .

. . . Theres a paradigm shift going on in the world of pop today . . . With the focus slowly drifting in the public consciousness from sacchrine pop to a more earthy (yet still painfully manufactured) 'rock' sound, the emphasis on the 'electronic' components in music today is waning . . . See. . . Beats couldn't sell itself effectively because for the majority of people there was no 'hook' in the form of easily sing-song-sing-along vox to follow, and therefore the pure version of electronic (the stuff we listen to) could never hope to attain the spectacular volume sales of say a Britney Spears . . . Electronic COULD however be stripped of its soul and the technology behind it used to build songs for the aformentioned heffer . . . and that's exactly what all the studio musicians who were responsible for writing the majority of the last 5 years hits did . . .

. . .Now that the economy is falling and everything isn't so sweet anymore, electronic is becoming, in the mainstream music spectrum of course, more and more of a 'fluff' form of music that's relegated to background noise for idiots to go out and get fucked up to on the weekends and then never listen to during their normal, straight, lives . . . . Hence the appearance of that debacle of an article in Rolling Stone . . .

. . . So stating that I have a question for people who stuck it out at the show:

For the 'bands' that were playing did the power go out?

Was the sound during their (and Moby's) performance top notch, or did it suck? . . (I believe I read that the sound sucked for Sasha) . . .