Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Buzz Ends Its Nine Year Run In Washington, Dc

talk2buzzdc

Our website will remain open, as will our messageboard.

We’ll continue the Buzzlife membership policy for future Buzzlife events. Be certain to renew your membership for FREE.

For more info: www.buzzlife.com

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: FOR MORE INFORMATION:

September 18, 2002 Amanda Huie, amanda@buzzlife.com

BUZZ ENDS ITS NINE YEAR RUN IN WASHINGTON, DC

On Wednesday, September 18th, after increased pressure from the DC Government, the United States Military and the United States Federal Government, Buzzlife Productions announces that it’s weekly event, Buzz will no longer take place in Washington, DC, effective immediately.

A two and a half year investigation of DC nightclubs was launched by the military to supervise the off-duty hours of their local personnel. Unfortunately, the irresponsible behavior of a few triggered a large-scale clampdown on all military nightlife activities. In early September Nation nightclub was declared off-limits to all servicemen. However, the “witch-hunt†was not over.

In an unprecedented move, the United States Military and the DC Police Department joined forces to share information and resources targeting both the Friday night event Buzz and the nightclub Nation. Innocent patrons were harassed and Nation management was threatened with legal action that could result in the loss of their liquor license.

“It is unfortunate that events that cater to the youth of America historically become targets of government agencies,†comments Amanda Huie, Buzzlife Director of PR and Marketing. “As leaders in this industry, we will not allow Buzz to become a scapegoat, and in essence, tarnish all electronic dance music events.â€

Buzzlife, in July of 2002, exposed the injustice of The RAVE Act. This act, being pushed through the Senate, is a clear violation of civil liberties, a person’s right to choose the music they listen to, and an innocent businessman’s right to provide a venue for the music their patrons’ request. Buzzlife’s leadership resulted in national media coverage, protests around the country and the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Leahy’s decision to remove himself as a sponsor of the bill.

Buzzlife Productions is America’s leader in electronic dance music marketing and event promotion. First created in 1993 after a series of successful weekly and one-off events, the company rose to become the #1 Mega-Club in America, as voted by URB Magazine for the past four years.

“We are looking to the future,†says Scott Henry, President of Buzzlife Productions. “With a love of electronic dance music and the people in this scene, Buzzlife will continue to bring the best music to the United States.â€

Log on to www.buzzlife.com to find out what will happen next!

this wave of insanity has to be stopped :mad3: .

has anyone ever seen the music man? i see a lot of similarities between our plight and the silliness in that musical.

o, yes, we got trouble,

right here in river city.

with a capital "T",

that rhymes with "P",

and that stands for pool!

the adults get all in a tizzy over the new pool hall in town, where the young'uns are just playing - not gambling, not drinking, not engaging in any gang-type behavior... :laugh: just get the ignorant going and they can get mighty powerful.

I just called t.b. and we both want to cry. I'm alternating between not believing it, being pissed, and wanting to break down. . BuZz is where I met a great deal of my friends in DC, where I got to party with all of you. . i have so many wonderful memories.

This makes me want to quit my fu@kin' goverment job and go work in public policy.

Fu@k those military wackjobs who ruined it for the rest of us.

OK end of tirade - please don't flame I am just venting here.

'stina :(

:mad: This sux!

I at least wanted to go one last time. :( Buzz was where I met all my friends. Thankfully I hang out with most of them outside the club or I can get in touch with them.

:( :( :( What a horrible day.....Let's protest!...but I don't think it will work...errrrr

:(

Thinking about it, I'm sooo glad I went last week. It was such a great time with most of us back in vip hanging out with Satoshi... It was one of the best nights I've had there in a while. Now I just wish I hadn't left so early... :(

Vic - I heard that this has NO effect on Velvet, they're free to do what they want...

Godammit!

Where am I gonna go to stay up till 6am now?

Where am I gonna go where I always know that I'll find people that I can enjoy the music with somebody I don't even know without saying a word?

Where am I gonna go where I know people aren't evaluating me when I walk up to the bar and trying to determine what I do or what I drive?

Where am I gonna go where I know I can have a good time w/o getting drunk?

Where am I gonna go to enjoy being dressed like a phreak?

Where am I gonna meet up with my friends that I don't get time to see during the week?

I can certainly do w/o Buzz for a week or two, but not knowing when the next massive will be? That kills. It's not like we can just look forward to this fall's Ultraworld event, either. Fuck!

Well, I'll be there Saturday. My bf old roommate was gonna take him there for his b-day. That doesn't sound right. His roommate is bi. We were gonna go both nights. This also makes me think of something else my other friend was gonna celebrate her b-day at Buzz to. Ahhhhh.

( I'm an Old Skool Legend now)

I assume that drugs had a lot to do with the closure.

Not that I expect the government to do anything intelligent, but this is fucking stupid.

People do drugs. They can't change that.

Now... they can either leave clubs open, realizing that some people will do drugs there but also knowing that there will be paramedics nearby...

... or they can keep shutting down the clubs, driving the music and the drugs underground where people will only get hurt even worse than they do now.

On second thought, all those deaths and injuries will give them an excuse to pump more money into the War on Drugs.

*sigh*

Buzz was a guaranteed good time for me, the best club night I ever went to. I'll miss it a lot.

:mad: This shit better get fixed quick. :mad: I know I havent been going there lately ( thank God I went last Friday) but It was good to know I could whenever I wanted and see top notch DJ talent in a positive atmosphere. I feel anger and disbelief. I don't even know what else to say :(

i remember going down to Buzz during the mid-90s and always having a goodtime. i probably could have gone up to NYC to see the same acts, but decided to go down to DC because i felt it was less pretentious at Buzz.

i always had a great time there and i'm sorry to see it end

:blank:

:(

KUDOS TO ALL THE LATE NITES AT BUZZ!!

MANGLADESH

LISTENING TO GREAT DJS

VIP HOT SPOT

BUMPING INTO MANGLED CPERS :D

MEET UP BY DJ BOOTH

RANDOM AFTER HOURS

TEARING THE DANCE FLOOR UP

MEETING NEW FACES THAT WERE IN THE SAME MODE I WAS ;)

ABSOLUTE MADNESS!

Im sure though through all of this sudden change, BUZZ will prevail and the MUSIC and the MEMORIES will never stop!!!!!

ROLLLLLLCAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

~The affects that music have on our souls is in a realm that no one can ever touch or take away from us; embedded into the deepest part. ~

Originally posted by malanee

Wow - even though I knew it was coming I'm still in shock.

I'm not surprised that Velvet wasn't affected. It caters to an older, more politically connected crowd than Buzz does. But believe me there are just as many drugs - if not more!

And probably a lot of military dudes too!

Guest jroo

ok, whats the big deal? they didnt shut down nation. buzz should do what all these corporations that are in financial trouble do, shut down, assume a new identity and start back up right were they left off. i dont get it. is buzz shut down as a promotion group? are they saying that nations cant be open on fridays? what the fuck, call that shit zzub and get the dj's in there!! music cant be stopped. and why is velvet so fucking special!!???? fucking bullshit. they dont get searched at the door, **edited for content*** summed up as BULLSHIT that velvet gets better treatment. period.

I feel your pain, Jroo.

I think the main reason that Velvet is being left alone is because the patrons of Velvet are a lot more likely to be Lawyers and Politicians. They're got a lot more money than us and they're higher up the rule-making food chain than us.

Also, it's BUZZ that got in the spotlight for fighting the RAVE act. It's BUZZ that Fox 5 put in a bad light.

The rule makers want to stop thier kids and young adults from going out and getting fucked up. They don't care as much about what happens to a 34 year old gay man on saturday night.

It's not fair, though, because the millitary witchhunt was started because of millitary members going to the gay Velvet night, and it seems to me that they have even more drugs there than Buzz does.