Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Goodbye to Strictly Rhythm...

What a shame! It's funny how you read some of these posts where people find nothing wrong with downloading music. They say how it doesn't hurt anyone.....well I guess this proves they are wrong !

ADV :(

personally i think they should shut down most of the domestic labels with the exception of a select few

the american dance labels do not have a clue

why are labels like tsunami, blackhole, idt, etc signing all this great music and the american a&r have their heads up their assholes.

in wmc this past yr people like mike mcdavid and george calle where made fools of by the people because they do not sign so much good stuff that is offered to them

i was in the listening panel and i heard two insane trance records played and george calle one of the listeners and the guy from robbins were like, they are at best ok.

me and everyone else in the place said what the hell is wrong with these guys.

Bured I was on the promotions panel this week for the Billboard Dance Music Summit. And someone their made a comment like yours and I am sorry I do not agree. you are seeing the Tree not the Forrest. If someone like STRICTLY shuts down it is another nail in the coffin of US DANCE. I am just really sad that the people that put out such eternal and memorable tracks like Junior's "If Madonna Calls" is gone. Maybe it's because internally they didn't keep up with the Jone's but still every one here is scared if closing like this start a trend.

dammmmmmmn i didnt even think of it like that--

Groovy and G2 are done also then correct?? Dammmn...

wow this really sucks....CCD is right tho...Plus u gotta remember, a lot of people are always gonna feel like Foreign labels are superior to domestic ones no matter what we put out over here.

hey mike

nah see here where i think the problems starts

first of all it starts with the fact that NY does not have a radio station that promotes the music therefore it only hits a small amount of people (ie. clubbers)

therefore thats the first problem

I think the US does have some great trance producers that relatively unknown for the simple reason that the US labels do not pay attention to trance..

let me give u an example..

let me give u an example.. this record called xit2nowhere

its a great trance record written by a fellow US producer.

but came out in Europe.

Why?

i guarantee not one domestic label gave it a chance.

i understand that its a nail in the coffin for the dance scene.

but we need to look beyond that and start with the more important things like radio.

KTU has to be epitomy of stupidity when it comes to dance music.

the fact that idiots like louie devito and other DJ like the riddler, etc who drop the same stupid commercial tracks every week on their so called mix shows is the start of the problem..

but at the same time, if the promoters of NYC would actually start a buzz for some of the higher quality music, and develop the interest that might help too.

theres a reason u walk around in miami and u hear people blasting trance and everything around that from progressive to hard and in NYC its just not the case.

you are correct there is a problem and I agree with a lot of what u said, but i also LIVE the problem. I was at the same wmc u were...at some of those same seminars with those guys.

My trance track was not good enuff for domestic labels yet it is now about to be picked up by an Italian Label.

I could honestly sit here and type for days about the issues u discussed but dont feel like it right now. Yes domestic labels and ktu could be doing a better job, but being that they are all we have right now...

the only reason strictly shut down is because is was partially bought out by warner..the finances got so complicated and screwed up they couldnt operate as a true independent...they have had massive hits in the past..witch doctor, all of dj pierre hits...its a shame they were running like for over 10 years

...i was actually surprised to hear they were still around...i was up in the studios some 4 years ago...got to meet with a few people...gladys and davey gold...etc...either way you look at it, they were impactive on this industry...another one bites the dust...

Originally posted by dr0ne

correct me if i'm wrong but is this not the label that provides the world with such fine and distinguished talent such as darude, fragma, and vengaboys?

to correct you, Strictly was the label that SMARTLY picked up these tracks after they were released internationally and released them domestically--A practice that other labels have also done over here to keep themselves sucessfull and in business and keeping them able to put out other tracks.

They gotta make money to stay afloat somehow while everyone just downloads aways

Mike Bugout

Originally posted by djmikebugout

to correct you, Strictly was the label that SMARTLY picked up these tracks after they were released internationally and released them domestically--A practice that other labels have also done over here to keep themselves sucessfull and in business and keeping them able to put out other tracks.

They gotta make money to stay afloat somehow while everyone just downloads aways

Mike Bugout

well then kudos to them for bringing such fine tracks such as sandstorm and toca me. tracks that take me by the hand on a massive euphoric dreamy uplifting epic epic journey into a world of glowing fantasy.

you people are all missing the point

the point is that these labels arent surviving because they arent putting out music that is making them enough money to stay afloat.

why is it in Europe practically every major name has his own label, IE, Tsunami Ferry, Armin, Armind, Oakie Perfecto, etc and the list can go on.

And its not just the trance guys because mauro piccotto has bxr

tiesto blackhole which is lookin more towards progressive

why is it we arent seeing this in the states?

this is another part of the problem

IT ALL STEMS FROM THE MUSIC MY FRIENDS

You people all say that strictly put out these sick tracks.

as far as i am concerned not good enough to keep them afloat--

pretty sad

Again missing the point Guys. Yes we here in NY and major cities consider a lot of tracks cheesy and way under par. However not all our GREAT dance labels go after middle america and commercial markets. Yes Louie Devito's CD's are not what you like but the kidsthat buys that now will expand his or her tastes. They will evolve but like most they don't get it yet. But I will reiterate this is a bad thing for all electronic and dance labels.

yes it is a bad thing

but lets face the idea that the people here need to broaden their horizons and step up our artists

we need to support the artists that are out there making these slamming tracks and not people like devito and the riddler and all the other KTU idiot DJ's (minus vicious) if u consider him one