Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Acosta At Spin After The New Year

know

Originally posted by ogmiami

if he made Ariel Baund the Saturday resident, he would have 80 people in the room who all got in for free. As passionate as you all are on this board, there are not enough of you to support the club and make it profitable. Not to mention that you all want a discount or guestlist.

Dade

Damn Dade, your on to us :D (btw can you put me on the list ;) )

And Tony very few of us can really understand the business of running a night yet alone a club like Dade can........

Not that I want to, it would be like knowing the Wizard of Oz is really the old man behind the curtain.

I personally think GA at Spin is a perfect fit. No one could have gone into Level at the stage he did and do well. Besides Spin is about a quarter of the size. He still has the following to do well there.

And love him or hate him, (although I am really indifferent) you have to respect that he made an international name for himself at a time when Miami was as known for music as Denver is now. And while Stryke, Ariel et all will hopefully be recognized, GA has allready done it. While IMHO the music has evolved outside of his passion, I still have to respect his accomplishments.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second what shroomy posted.

Sobeton, GA does a nice job at Level. Whether you like it or not he does have the biggest fanbase in South FL, and one of the bigger fanbases in the country. Don't let all the haters on this board sidetrack you from that. That's actually part of the reason why he has a hard time letting his sound evolve on some occasions - around the time Next Level came out Acosta tried to make his sets a bit more progressive and not as hard, but the audience loves it when he drops hard German Trance anthems. If that gives him a comfort zone then so be it. There are a few reasons as to why Level and Acosta will be parting companies. Still, while some of the other clubs in Sobe either shut down, or have a hard time on Saturdays, Level is doing well, and even have Y-100 broadcasting from the club.

Putting Acosta at a club like Spin might actually enable him to get a bit more creative and play more then just the top bangin Trance anthems from Germany and Holland (tunes which I happen to like). Then again, Ariel does a great job of warming him up, and by the time Acosta gets on, the audience expects his signature bangin sets. I'd like to see Club Spin go in the direction of the old Shadow Lounge on Saturdays, but also bring out guest Trance DJs who are rising stars and whose names aren't big enough to pack a club like Space on Friday nights.

Club Spin's new Saturday night format will just fill up a hole that Level might leave wide open. It won't have much of an effect on the successful House and Progressive nights featured at other clubs.

To be a resident DJ at a big club in Miami is very hard. You need a lot of credentials that include being able to produce records, perhaps owning a record label or record store, it sure doesn't hurt if some of your past releases have become big, . If doesn't hurt if you can attract a large audience, get international recognition, and a resume that includes gigs in a good number of cities. Aside from Acosta and Oscar, who really has those credentials in town?...

So let all the Acosta bashers have their field day and talk about how commercial and cheesy his sets are. A lot of UK or German Trance DJs play similar sets, and the records they play are usually done by well known high quality producers. Trance hasn't died in 2000, 2001 ,or 2002. It's just lost some fans, and gained a lot of others.

Now we're having a real discussion....

Tony (sobeton), You know me well enough to know that I don't consider the majority of CPers "uneducated twits" (there are a few). What I was saying does apply to you...If you don't like GA, don't go. No one expects you to blow smoke up his arse. The bottom line is that he will fill the place on Saturdays and the people who go will have a great time. Maybe not you or I, but...the club has to pay its bills.

As for him leaving Level because of lack of support...not true. He was making money for them (this from the owner) as he always did for me. He never liked it there and has wanted to leave for a while. Luis offered him a good deal and he took it.

MAZE - They built a great club for music. Maybe the best in the area. They love music. The problem is that they are not on the mainstream radar. I read all the posts here and on other boards about their opening and the one thing that no one mentioned was that NO ONE SHOWED UP. Where was the support from Miami? They have done everything that peeps on this board have asked and still no support. It's a shame.

VIPNERD - I don't know who you are or if we've ever met but I can tell you that I have lost a lot of money showcasing really talented DJs. Ask Pod or one of the other long time CPers. I continue to do it because I am a true believer. This conference I will be doing several shows that are all about up and coming talent. Unfortunately, your multiplying effect is not reflected in the attendance at these type of events. Did you go to support Maze and Markus Schultz and the rest of their lineup or did you go for the big name and see Piccotto at Space?

Ariel - I am working hard on Ariel's behalf because I think the kid is amazing. I had him open for Oakey because that's how people like the label reps and press get to know a guy like him. He will be the headline DJ at Opium one week from Saturday. There is an open list for any of you who want to support him. I'll be there to see what kind of support you all show for the local boy.

Dade

Chris > wether George has the biggest fan base; in South Florida is rather subjective. name recognition, and fan base are not synonymous. if anybody has put florida on the map in terms of dance music, and actual fan base heading my list would be Funky Green Dogs (aka Oscar G and Ralph Falcon). who incidentally have more charted billboard hits, and industry status then George has ever had. know one can deny George’s impact on the dance music scene, both globally, as well as locally, however let’s not get over zealous. :D "Aside from Acosta and Oscar, who really has those credentials in town?... " was this a real question ?? :D;)

Dade > okay I’m a little over sensitive. :D I don’t hate George, I think he is lazy, and not the right choice for Spin. that is my opinion, be it qualified or not. it’s my hope those who claim, to be such fans of George’s, will actually walk the walk, and get out and support him.. that would then presumably remove any doubts. I truly wish George the best of luck, and hope he will reach for new levels.. time will tell.. :)

It has been two years at least George run me out of Level ..... with Gold card to walk in as in my house included...... it ain't personal with him ..... but I have my preferences ......and he isn't close to one of them ......

Now ...... can what's left of his following ...... ring the bar at Spin more than those bottles from SMAC did on Saturdays?? ......

Could George's trance anthems attract new crowds to mantain him??....... I'm a risk taker...... I would had gone with Ariel ..... and with all the promotion Louis' clubs do ....... build the night for Ariel..

It is easy to talk when it is OPM ....... but IMHO ....... I like to gain big when I start a new project ........ and that is where I don't see George.....but since I haven't seen Geor

Now ...... can what's left of his following ...... ring the bar at Spin more than those bottles from SMAC did on Saturdays?? ......

Could George's trance anthems attract new crowds to mantain him??....... I'm a risk taker...... I would had gone with Ariel ..... and with all the promotion Louis' clubs do ....... build the night for Ariel..

It is easy to talk when it is OPM ....... but IMHO ....... I like to gain big when I start a new project ........ and that is where I don't see George.....but since I haven't seen George's contract ...... can't say more ........

My wish would be to have Ariel open..... and have George take over at 5 am...... no kidding.........

Thanx for your concepts thou Dave ....... I'll see U @ Opium in 9 days......

:cool::hat:

I don't know where you got the idea that Spin is staying open late for GA, Tony, but they're not. I have it on the highest authority that the place will close at 5 am, as is normal.

George drew a huge crowd at Level. There was never a slow night when he was on the decks. I have rolls of film to attest to that...I would show up at Level specifically on some nights to get massive crowd shots for their promotions. But like Dade said, George wasn't happy there, the club wasn't behind him 100%.

Anyhow, Spin is a smaller venue than Level...I'm sure the legions of GA heads will pack that place to the rafters. Louis will be a happy man at the end of the night.

For one, I applaud the effort Louis, Diego, and Biz put into getting him. I was kinda disappointed to see Spin wasted on he was on the decks. I have rolls of film to attest to that...I would show up at Level specifically on some nights to get massive crowd shots for their promotions. But like Dade said, George wasn't happy there, the club wasn't behind him 100%.

Anyhow, Spin is a smaller venue than Level...I'm sure the legions of GA heads will pack that place to the rafters. Louis will be a happy man at the end of the night.

For one, I applaud the effort Louis, Diego, and Biz put into getting him. I was kinda disappointed to see Spin wasted on some hip-hop night on a Saturday. Grant it, I'm not a huge trance fan, but it's better than nothing at this point. Besides, George knows people that many CP folk would die to see, and I can forsee them taking to the decks at Spin on Saturdays.

The two best venues in town now have somewhat respectable nights all around, why the hell all the bitching and moaning?

As for Ariel...he's a real good friend of mine, but I can tell you that his following is limited in town...you'd get 80 people that know him in the room, and anon some hip-hop night on a Saturday. Grant it, I'm not a huge trance fan, but it's better than nothing at this point. Besides, George knows people that many CP folk would die to see, and I can forsee them taking to the decks at Spin on Saturdays.

The two best venues in town now have somewhat respectable nights all around, why the hell all the bitching and moaning?

As for Ariel...he's a real good friend of mine, but I can tell you that his following is limited in town...you'd get 80 people that know him in the room, and another 200 max that would just stop in out of curiosity. Clubs don't have the kind of disposable income to take a chance like that anymore. For now in Miami, Ariel is gonna be an opener...but his day in the sun will come, I can tell you all that much. I wanna see him play out as much as anyone...

Grant it though, if Ariel was given a full night here in town, half of this board wouldn't show up anyway. I've found that quite a few people say a lot around here, but don't follow through...

I'll be one to check out George at Spin, ther 200 max that would just stop in out of curiosity. Clubs don't have the kind of disposable income to take a chance like that anymore. For now in Miami, Ariel is gonna be an opener...but his day in the sun will come, I can tell you all that much. I wanna see him play out as much as anyone...

Grant it though, if Ariel was given a full night here in town, half of this board wouldn't show up anyway. I've found that quite a few people say a lot around here, but don't follow through...

I'll be one to check out George at Spin, that's for sure. Spin is one of my favorite venues here on the beach.

Originally posted by sobeton

blame it on that damn vipnerd..:laugh::D

Originally quoted by me (Vipnerd) this morining:

"Sobeton ........... the afterhours thing is only a sarcasm on GA ......I don't like his music ...... that's all ......... let him play starting at 5 am for the poor employees and managers at Spin ....... in other words ...... why not forget about GA and let Ariel play alone!!

Sorry for any confusion.... Peace..... "

Originally posted by vipnerd

Originally quoted by me (Vipnerd) this morining:

"Sobeton ........... the afterhours thing is only a sarcasm on GA ......I don't like his music ...... that's all ......... let him play starting at 5 am for the poor employees and managers at Spin ....... in other words ...... why not forget about GA and let Ariel play alone!!

Sorry for any confusion.... Peace..... "

J/K bro..:D

Originally posted by pod

I don't know where you got the idea that Spin is staying open late for GA, Tony, but they're not. I have it on the highest authority that the place will close at 5 am, as is normal.

George drew a huge crowd at Level. There was never a slow night when he was on the decks. I have rolls of film to attest to that...I would show up at Level specifically on some nights to get massive crowd shots for their promotions. But like Dade said, George wasn't happy there, the club wasn't behind him 100%.

For one, I applaud the effort Louis, Diego, and Biz put into getting him. I was kinda disappointed to see Spin wasted on he was on the decks. I have rolls of film to attest to that...I would show up at Level specifically on some nights to get massive crowd shots for their promotions. But like Dade said, George wasn't happy there, the club wasn't behind him 100%.

For one, I applaud the effort Louis, Diego, and Biz put into getting him. I was kinda disappointed to see Spin wasted on some hip-hop night on a Saturday. Grant it, I'm not a huge trance fan, but it's better than nothing at this point. Besides, George knows people that many CP folk would die to see, and I can forsee them taking to the decks at Spin on Saturdays.

As for Ariel...he's a real good friend of mine, but I can tell you that his following is limited in town...you'd get 80 people that know him in the room, and anon some hip-hop night on a Saturday. Grant it, I'm not a huge trance fan, but it's better than nothing at this point. Besides, George knows people that many CP folk would die to see, and I can forsee them taking to the decks atbe a happy man at the end of the night.

As for Ariel...he's a real good friend of mine, but I can tell you that his following is limited in town...you'd get 80 people that know him in the room, and anon some hip-hop night on a Saturday. Grant it, I'm not a huge trance fan, but it's better than nothing at this point. Besides, George knows people that many CP folk would die to see, and I can forsee them taking to the decks at Spin on Saturdays.

As for Ariel...he's a real good friend of mine, but I can tell you that his following is limited in town...you'd get 80 people that know him in the room, and another 200 max that would just stop in out of curiosity. Clubs don't have the kind of disposable income to take a chance like that anymore. For now in Miami, Ariel is gonna be an opener...but his day in the sun will come, I can tell you all that much. I wanna see him play out as much as anyone...

I'll be one to check out George at Spin, ther 200 max that would just stop in out of curiosity. Clubs don't have the kind of disposable income to take a chance like that anymore. For now in Miami, Ariel is gonna be an opener...but his day in the sun will come, I can tell you all that much. I wanna see him play out as much as anyone...

I'll be one to check out George at Spin, that's for sure. Spin is one of my favorite venues here on the beach. [/QU Spin on Saturdays.

I'll be one to check out George at Spin, that's for sure. Spin is one of my favorite venues here on the beach.

you should consider a career in politics. ;)

Originally posted by saleen351

spin is too tiny for that music format. Like having Picotto spin in my closet...

Here is a real club

http://www.bxr.it/video/gatecAdsl.asf

Saleen,

this just goes to show, how much you truly know or have experienced regarding the Miami scene...

You were never around during the Shadow Lounge days, but to give you an idea, it was barely more than half the size of Spin & that lil' place cranked well over 3+ years. It contributed quite a bit to the electronic music movement in Miami, over the last 5 years.

Just a handful of their residents you might be familiar with...

George Acosta

David Padilla

Ariel Baund

Edgar V

Some of their guests...

Oakenfold

Picotto

Taucher

Talla

Shadow- R.I.P.

Originally posted by biznation00

George Acosta

David Padilla

Ariel Baund

Edgar V

Some of their guests...

Oakenfold

Picotto

Taucher

Talla

Shadow- R.I.P.

:( ...AMEN

R.I.P. Shadow....no club was like it and i doubt it will ever be...Thanks to Dade and Bobby for giving us three good years...:aright:

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by biznation00

Saleen,

this just goes to show, how much you truly know or have experienced regarding the Miami scene...

You were never around during the Shadow Lounge days, but to give you an idea, it was barely more than half the size of Spin & that lil' place cranked well over 3+ years. It contributed quite a bit to the electronic music movement in Miami, over the last 5 years.

George Acosta

David Padilla

Ariel Baund

Edgar V

Some of their guests...

Oakenfold

Picotto

Taucher

Talla

Shadow- R.I.P.

Been there twice, I rather stick my balls in a blender then go back there and listen to madona remixes and pay 10 bucks for a beer. Though the fish tanks were cool, by the way every club on earth back in those days were packed wall to wall. Its a different time.

Originally posted by saleen351

Been there twice, I rather stick my balls in a blender then go back there and listen to madona remixes and pay 10 bucks for a beer. Though the fish tanks were cool, by the way every club on earth back in those days were packed wall to wall. Its a different time.

not when it was Shadow Lounge....when it was Liquid;)