Clubplanet Nightlife Community

FOR THOSE WANTING INFO/TIPS/ADVICE ON L.A.

weyes

this thread will just be for where to get info on what's going on in l.a., where to go, and how to otherwise find out what's going on/where to go. if you're visiting l.a. or have just come to town, this is the thread to read :) .

some good sites to search are:

www.lalate.com (run by our own lalate :D )

www.cued-up.com

www.alexinla.com (run by our own alex90028)

and gr oo v e tic ke ts (sorry i couldn't write it as a hyperlink; clubplanet won't let me. just add the appropriate "dots" and "com" and take out the spaces in the word.)

and a big favorite club to go to on saturdays is spundae, as they bring in the big name djs:

www.spundae.com

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for the sticky lol ... people are still posting their queries below asking for advices ....

I guess the best way to do this is to respond to each question outside the sticky within this sticky with the nature of the question as the subject so others can scroll for these same answers when they ask in the future.

Here we go!

TO: mzsera

a. Club One Seven, Saturdays

A NIGHT CLUB EXCLUSIVELY FOR THOSE UNDER 21

MINIMUM AGE 15...MUST PRESENT VALID ID ... located below the Highlands.

b. Club Hearthrob, Saturdays

7969 Santa Monica Boulevard (West Hollywood)

Mostly gay crowd. 18 and over.

c. The place next to Garden of Eden

18 and over... its the place on Hollywood blvd on the turn next to Garden.... very goth crowd on saturday.

Some above are guestlist only, some arent.

TO: arthurb3yahoo

For a mixed crowd (gay and straight), try:

a. Abbey.

Bar/Lounge. no cover. Great music. Beautiful venue.

b. Ultraswede.

Nightclub.... careful cuz sometimes they cut the place in 1/2 and turn the backside into a different club with a different entry (sort of confusing). Great music, very cool staff.

Ultraswede has a discount guestlist we can get you on.

TO: chaos33

For people who admit they have no clue about where to go when in LA ... think about you are looking for. Here are some picks (not too much thinking into this, just thinking real quick):

1. Most Popular Hot Spots

AD, Garden of Eden, still the Highlands

2. Largest (Physical) Hot Spots

AD, Garden of Eden, Highlands, Arena

3. Most Talkative/Approachable Crowds

Hollywood Canteen

4. Top Bars

Red Rock, Circle Bar, Dublins

5. Most Buzz

AD, Ivar, Downtown Standard

Try la.citysearch.com to see pictures of the venues and learn more about the venues... then, understand, with nonbar venues, the format changes each night often depending on the promoter.... you need to get on the guestlist generally (unless you are a woman and are gorgeous) to get in (you can't just be prepared to shell out money, that's not enough).

Venues in LA work on exclusivity.... lines ... lists.

If you want to get on any of the above lists, we can help for many of the venues.

(ps.... know that clubs are probably missing from this list ... just writing this posting with about 35 seconds of thought).

For the question about Afterhours.... so many places in LA ... depends if you want a different separate venue for afterhours or a venue that is open evening to pass 2 am ....

For Afterhours --- top choice, AD.

For Venues open late --- try Hacienda, it's new.

There a ton of other choices of course.

Originally posted by scratchapella

whatup weyes :)

i'm visiting LA in few days. . . and i've heard of spundae (they've got a party going in chicago too). . . but i wanted to know about the best venues/nights for house music? "housey" house if you know what i mean. . . not "progressive" house. :tongue:

hey scratch :)

howyoulivin VIC! :tongue:

where do you get your information?!

i've done a little searching and came up w/jack.

a weekly at derby's? and that's about it. . .

and just straightup breakbeat parties, do those exist in LA?

also, i remember hearing a promo from a crew called abstract soul djs a long time ago. . .from socal. . .are they still around?

oh! and no one mentions dress code requirements anywhere. . .? (gotta be thorough :D )

Wax on Saturdays and of course, the best in my opinion, Marques Wyatt @ Deep on Sunday nights @ 1650. I'm there every week I'm not lying around with an I.V. needle cause of what I did the night before...;)

Also, Root Down thursdays, though that blends some hip-hop/ funk as well...

Originally posted by scratchapella

oh! and no one mentions dress code requirements anywhere. . .? (gotta be thorough :D )

All these places are about the music, so just dress to make it plain, no posing there. Wax, being on Sat night is a bit dressier than the other two, but still no code.

That being said, they'd probably frown upon you showing up looking like one of the Wayan brothers in "Don't be a menace...":laugh:

scratchapella-

There's great house in LA. Friday nights, try More, it's got a nice following. On Friday, Feb. 7 Miguel Migs will be in town at King King, not to be missed. Saturday nights at King King have been really strong lately. Wax has a great Saturday night as well, it's twice a month I believe and the venue is the Martini Lounge. For Saturday afterhours try Does Your Mama Know. On Sundays, it's got to be Deep with Marques Wyatt.

Stop by the Wax Record store on Melrose. They always have flyers and the guys that work at the store are always in the know about the best house parties.

Enjoy!

Im visiting LA at the end of Feb. and need to know the places to go. I've never been to the west coast so i dont know how u party out there. What are the good clubs and by good clubs i mean places where the music is good and not by where the rich trendy people go. im into house and dnb music. i've heard of spundae and teknoklub. are either of these good. what is the dress code/age/cover? Also, i guess i should do touristy stuff while im there so what should i see, i only have 2 days so i wanna see the important stuff. thanks for any info

dan

Originally posted by clubkiddan

Im visiting LA at the end of Feb. and need to know the places to go. I've never been to the west coast so i dont know how u party out there. What are the good clubs and by good clubs i mean places where the music is good and not by where the rich trendy people go. im into house and dnb music. i've heard of spundae and teknoklub. are either of these good. what is the dress code/age/cover? Also, i guess i should do touristy stuff while im there so what should i see, i only have 2 days so i wanna see the important stuff. thanks for any info

dan

make sure to check out the links in the first few posts of this thread for most of your answers :) .

most places don't have a dress code; i've never been anywhere that has.

If you are under 18 your best bets are underground events. Stop by a few record stores, they'll have flyers. You can call them before heading out here as well. Here's a few suggestions

House:

Wax - on Melrose in LA

This Is Music - on Melrose in LA

Various:

Beat Non Stop - on Melrose in LA

Grooveriders - on Ventura in Sherman Oaks

DJ Culture - in Costa Mesa, phone # 949.646.3548

Enjoy!

Topic #5 Birthdays

In response to the question about where to go for birthdays ..... here are some choices:

1) Century Club for dinner and dancing ... if you go for the dinner, no cover ... so you save $15-20 .. there food as of last year was very good. Esp the fish.

2) Mayan --

There is something sort of cool about going to a "destination" place for your birthday ... it's such a different place, esp for people seeing the first time, that it makes the whole night feel like an excursion.

3) Santa Monica Pier--

If you like walking on your birthday .... start the evening eating on the pier at one of the great restaurants and then hit any of the bars there or walk up to 3rd street for some fun.

Finally, as an idea, if you are all from the LA area, maybe carpool a group of friends to an area you don't usually go to like Redondo Beach ... starting with dinner and then heading over to Chillers ... something like that.

Overall, it's very good advice to do something/go somewhere you don't normally go to for your birthday because it makes the night feel so much more different for your guests and you... it makes it exciting, fresh, and more memorable than just another night on the sunset strip.

red (@ arena on fridays) has a really cool b'day deal:

* the b'day girl/boy submits a list, those friends get in for $10 (instead of $20), up to 50 people

* all get in vip, where there's a yummy free buffet

* all get a free glass of champagne (b'day girl/boy gets 2 :aright: )

* a free yummy cake (vanilla 2 layers, vanilla buttercream frosting, strawberries in the middle - not the gooey jam crap, just strawberries and whipped cream, i think :drool: )

* and the b'day girl/boy gets in free

unbeatable, really :D .

for those wanting a private sort of time, the vip area is great for talking, hanging out, and noshing, before you feel like joing the rest of the party that is red. tables are reserved for you. this does require that reservations be made somewhat in advance, however.

my friend did it for his b'day, and we had so much fun (and felt we got such a good deal out of it) that we did it for mine, too :D .

just go to their website at www.nexxez.com and all the info should be under "special announcements" :aright: .

im going to be in LA for 1-2 nights in a few weeks (20 - 22 feb) and was wondering what part of LA i should stay in. i wont have a car, so i kinda would like to stay somewhere where i could walk around/get a cab fairly easily. i'd like to be sort of near a shopping district and/or clubs. ive been told to stay in hollywood if im only going to be there for a night or two. any sugesstions?