Clubplanet Nightlife Community

FOR THOSE WANTING INFO/TIPS/ADVICE ON L.A.

weyes

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, im heading out to L.A. again in March. I'm a fan of all genres of music but my girl is more so into hip-hop. Is there a club you guys could reccomend for me where I'm gonna hear some good hip-hop and be able to pop a bottle or two as well.

Thats one thing i also didnt understand: In NY, every club you go to people are popping bottles left and right. I come to L.A. and i dont see it happen once. Whats the deal??

Oh yes there is .... I think LA has the best hiphop scene ... it's just sort of hard because some djs like to mix it up with other stuff. Like some old school, funk, even funky house.

Best hiphop night I know is Ski Sushi on Saturdays.

Actually, Joya Saturdays has recently been super hardcore hiphop ... sometimes El Dorado ... gosh... there are so many more. DJ AM think on Fridays at Garden of Eden -- not positive.

Hope that helped.

If you like a smaller venue that has ahs great trance, check out FroBar in Venice off Main St. It is across the Circle Bar and rocks evey weekend. Cover is $5 to 10$ and drinks a well priced and strong. Swing the red, hanging lights at the bar while you pound a redbull-vodka.......

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, 3 pages and nobody mentioned my site, lol....

http://alexatucla.tripod.com/welcome.html

Should answer most of your questions!!

Even has a messageboard!!!!!!

Also a good Hip Hop club is Flirt on Fridays!!!

IF you guys want to check it out, I am throwing a new Sunday Social Afternoon Club, starting this Sunday, March 9th.

All the info here=====> http://deepervibe.com/recovery.htm

It should be a fun lil club , it's free to get in, cheap drinks , free breakfast early on and Hollyw Addams from Groove Radio spinning, plus Oliver Twist next week....

If you have questions, just e-mail me!!!!

Sorry, been absent lately Weyes, been busy, esp with the newLALate.

Hi everyone!

A lot of people hit up LALate.com with the question ... "hey, what place is new, cool, or older and making a comeback, and I should hit up?"

Well, here's the CLUB TO DO LIST for this Spring in LA.... places we should all hit up before late spring rolls around.

1) Nacional .... Really beautiful interior. If you like the sleek, cigar colored walls and deep leather low frame chair feel in a club with a fireplace outside (my favorite), you'll love this place. And stop by the restaurant next door --- great reasonably priced food (same owners, I think).

2) Cinespace. Great ratios (1:1 at least) ! Space is average in its design, although the smoking patio is very nice (but not enough ventilation). Staff: very nice.

3) Ivar. Was the "it" place until Nacional took the title, arguably.

4) AD. Still going strong ... but dont go on weekends, lines are too long.

5) Barfly. Making a comeback. Midweek, new promoters, free stuff, very almost no attitude crowd (yes! at barfly! midweek, that is.)

6) HERMOSA. Nope.... not a club, but the town. If you haven't ventured down the coast, then read this one website, pubclub, that teaches you about where to go. LALate is going to go and give you an update, but based upon the pictures, emails, and reviews we've heard, it aint you attitude Chaya Venice crowd, aint your sometimes slow Mainstreet Santa Monica crowd.

7) Orion. You can't figure this place out. But if you have the patience to wait in line with at least 2,000 people at a mere 9:30 pm you will know what this place is so popular.

.....And there is more to come! And in just a few weeks, LALate will give you info about one venue that is already pulling 250 on a tuesday and is coming with a wed night that will re-pull the 500+ (yes, unbelievable) that it pulled last year thanks in part to our and very other sites' word of mouth, a non cover venue .... stay tuned. It will be unbelievable.

LALate

thanks so much for the updates, lalate :spin2: !!! i really love 'em :D:aright: .

Originally posted by lalate

...3) Ivar. Was the "it" place until Nacional took the title, arguably....

i've heard that ivar's comeback is creating quite a stir, and, if i've heard something, that really is saying a lot :laugh2: <--- not exactly in the loop, a lot of the time.

the scumfrog's gonna be there on april 10th, and i've gotta go!!! i'll probably be hitting that one solo, it being a thursday, but i think it'll be well-attended, generally speaking.

Thanks weyes for the kind comments. Wish was more time to post last few weeks ... been busy, plus the newLALate has been doing exceptional.

In regards to IVAR, you know, it's one of those thangs that, there are so many great venues in LA that if you show up at a reasonably early hour and if you still have to wait in line with almost no indication of when you are going to get in from staffing it's really sort of not worth it. Can't say that's the case at IVAR.

But recently came out of Cinespace upstairs at about 11 pm, was comp'd (through a five star hotel for hotel guests) for IVAR downstairs and the doorstaff just sort of really didnt care. Think in general if the venue is hot it still should never leave people waiting in line for more than 5 minutes. It's really not cool, because they got competition and you can go elsewhere.

Last year, saw at Joya, two girls, just because they were "large" but certainly pretty, were left at the door for ages (maybe 1/2 hour) while ohter skinny girls got in. That's really not cool.

You should definitely hit up IVAR, but dont get there late (and bring a jacket, because that is a cold part of Hollywood ,,, right near Vine, wide streets, wind tunnel, etc.)

...But recently came out of Cinespace upstairs at about 11 pm, was comp'd (through a five star hotel for hotel guests) for IVAR downstairs and the doorstaff just sort of really didnt care. Think in general if the venue is hot it still should never leave people waiting in line for more than 5 minutes. It's really not cool, because they got competition and you can go elsewhere.

Last year, saw at Joya, two girls, just because they were "large" but certainly pretty, were left at the door for ages (maybe 1/2 hour) while ohter skinny girls got in. That's really not cool...

i gotta say i agree with that; that shows that l.a. is a decent town full of respectful, no-bullshit people. in nyc, the waiting around, velvet-rope shit is pretty much standard and expected at a lot of the clubs.

i have a friend who spent her formative club years in nyc, and thinks that l.a. is "spoiled" 'cause it doesn't stand for the ridiculously long lines and out-of-line preferential treatment that goes on there. but i've waited over 2 1/2 hours for at least 3 parties in new york, in the winter, when i had a presale ticket (otherwise, i would've left. the lineups and the $40 both meant a lot to me.).

anyway, all this's to say that i'm with you, and very glad that someone who dedicates so much of his time to "the scene" thinks that the long lines and discrimination (for whatever reason: gender, a certain look :rolleyes: , age) is just not right.

Thanks weyes for the kind comments. Wish was more time to post last few weeks ... been busy, plus the newLALate has been doing exceptional.

In regards to IVAR, you know, it's one of those thangs that, there are so many great venues in LA that if you show up at a reasonably early hour and if you still have to wait in line with almost no indication of when you are going to get in from staffing it's really sort of not worth it. Can't say that's the case at IVAR.

But recently came out of Cinespace upstairs at about 11 pm, was comp'd (through a five star hotel for hotel guests) for IVAR downstairs and the doorstaff just sort of really didnt care. Think in general if the venue is hot it still should never leave people waiting in line for more than 5 minutes. It's really not cool, because they got competition and you can go elsewhere.

Last year, saw at Joya, two girls, just because they were "large" but certainly pretty, were left at the door for ages (maybe 1/2 hour) while ohter skinny girls got in. That's really not cool.

You should definitely hit up IVAR, but dont get there late (and bring a jacket, because that is a cold part of Hollywood ,,, right near Vine, wide streets, wind tunnel, etc.)

Good call with the lines bro. I'm originally from back East so I am used to long lines. I think its ridiculous to make people wait on lines longer than 45 minutes. Plus, it brings additional attention from law enforecement groups, as if there wasn't enough pressure on clubs as it is. Look at how many clubs in NY are having problems staying open.

Thanks cubbie.

Actually, use to live in NYC for years (formative years were in NYC for partying here) ... so seen it too.

Plus, venues should learn, that if you go there sort of regularly, have ur staff remember the faces of your patrons... we do it with restaurants and some bars.... why not lounges and clubs?

Nothing worse -- being told your drink is $12 ... giving a nice tip ... getting no response that you gave a tip .... and being treated like you are just a credit card transaction.

lol

Topic #7: Getting Ready for Spring.

Thought it would be a good idea to give some advice, cuz it's often difficult, in figuring out what we should do regarding club atttire as we merge from cool weather to that nice spring evening weather soooooon this March and April.

Here's some perhaps obvious tips for many and new thoughts for a few about what to wear when the wearing starts to get warmer at night.

1) The Leather jacket.

No more. Leave it at home. You're going to faint inside some of the poorer ventilated venues (venue owners, you know who you are).

2) Jean Jacket and Similar

Switch over to a thinner cover in replacement of the full jacket. Here are some tips:

a) Button Down Shirt Jacket.

Some thicker button down shirts can be worn over something else out like a jacket. It's a cool look and it works. When you're ready to dance, tie it around your waist.

B) Jean Jacket.

It's still in ... especially if a cord' jacket or black.

3) Layer-gear

Layer! Layer! Layer! Leave something underneath (t for guys or tanks, for example) that you can go down to if you are going to bust a groove on the dancefloor for 2 hours nonstop

4) The Wristband

It's back! Hell yah. It's useful and cheap.

5) Enrique Iglesias' Hat

The Enrique hat look for guys with the wool hat -- it's cool, but you're going to faint in some of these clubs this spring. Trust me! So leave the headgear at home till the winter.

And one final note ....

let's start a petition to ban those people who hand you one towel at a time in the restrooms at the clubs --- lol ! If you dancing and sweating and want the full paper roll, they should get out of the way ! (just kiddin).

I kept going to the LA guestlists bit, and it was deserted...and i was thinking no guestlists in LA...? No guestlists in LA......L..A...?!! So glad to see its the site not the city thats empty!

Does anyone in the LA area worry about terrorism? Im worried now about flying over, and nightclub bombs etc - is this unecessary?

Well --

after 9/11 I would say attendance in nightlife fell off at least 75%.

This week I think nightlife was only down about 15-30% because of the war. We'll see next week. FYI - we invovled with over 3 dozen lists in a given weekend. LA is "list" central (for better or worse lol)!