Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What's Up w/Opium for WMC?

milano

It's true that the venue has been having trouble lately with the noise ordinance, (as have all outdoor venues, especially Nikki).

The owners have already taken steps to insure that it won't interfere with conference. They put some sound proofing around the dancefloor and have not had a problem in weeks. Also, the city has agreed to give them a permit to exceed the normal sound levels during the week of conference.

Anyway, it would not apply to the Radio1 party as the restrictions are only at night.

The lineup for the week is pretty much done and it's amazing. Lots of diversity. Lots of guys that we don't get here very often.

I'll post the roster next week after the last of the contracts are signed.

Peace,

Dade

it sux to see hard working people have to deal with this bullshit!!!! If you live in sobe, you should know your gonna have to deal with loud music, it goes hand in hand!!!! Maybe they should actually be at nikkis and opium, hell, after 5 cocktails, theyll be able to sleep next to the speaker!!!

Pod, why so negative all the time about Opium? I've never seen you there, yet every time someone on the board asks about the venue you have something negative to say about the crowd or the sound or the bathroom attendant...now it's dirty speakers.

I don't own or work for Opium, but I have been doing the occassional show there and I am doing the whole conference week. All I know is that it's the most beautiful nightclub in Miami by far. Actually, it's the only club that was built to be a club...Space was a warehouse, Shadow was a temple, level was a theatre... It's also among the most successful. Sure, on most nights it's about being trendy and chic...but it is also an amazing venue for music. Where else can you get four rooms includung an open air main room that all flow together like that? The whole place has been renovated and they even cleaned the speakers.

It's perfect for conference. On most nights there will be a completely different sound in each room. There is a proper stage for Live acts. I will be bringing new sound for the main room for that week. So Pod, shut up !!!

I don't go a lot, there's really nothing for me there...but the few times I have been, I've not been thrilled with the crowd and the DJs really. Conference is a different story, of course it will kick ass! Credit where credit is due, when you actively book someone, Dade, the place is different because a "better" crowd shows up, know what I'm saying? I still remember that Danny H. party you set up last year, it kicked ass. I was there till 5 AM, my friends van even got towed, but we still had a helluva time. It's a good space, with some technical issues, but that's a budget issue I guess...not every club has the money to dish out on a Funktion-One after all! But on your average Friday, I'll more than likely be over at Spin, crobar, or Maze...

I agree with you, Dan, that on a normal weekend OG is not "our Scene". But I really love the place when I take it over and do music there. I love the feel of the main room....it's very Ibiza...and I love to be able to move from room to room and hear different sounds. Give it a try this year...I think you'll be impressed.

And Matas...I love what Maze did with that place. But...can you really say it's as beautiful as Opium? I'm not talking about sound or lights...I'm talking about the actual venue.

Originally posted by ogmiami

And Matas...I love what Maze did with that place. But...can you really say it's as beautiful as Opium? I'm not talking about sound or lights...I'm talking about the actual venue.

Opium is nice, dont get me wrong...and maybe b/c Maze is the new club (flavor of the month)...but i prefer Maze...Opium is nice with the whole Mediterranean motif/open air venue...there is something about it that doesnt sell me...but i think the venue if perfect for the Radio 1 party...Nikki's last year was out of this world...the vibe, the music and the fact that u were dancing on sand and on the beach made it even better...i havent been to Opium in a long time and now with this cold weather i doubt i will...i will check it out when it gets warmer and when there is no chance for showers...;)

I don't know how many of you live here on the beach, but I was flipping throught the channels last night and caught a rerun of the hearing Miami Beach city council was having on the Opium noise complaints. There were a lot of tenants talking about how bad the noise was and the council seemed to indicate it wanted to take strong measures. The legal counsel there stated that the immediate remedies that existed for noncompliance with the noise statutes would be to either arrest the owners or shut down the venue. The Mayor stated that he absolutely did not want the owners to be arrested, but that shutting down the venue was a course of action he would consider. Landlords spoke about how they couldn't rent apatments down there anymore. People are losing money.

Now I agree that if you're just getting to town, you'd be crazy to live near such a place. That's why I chose to live north of 41st. But think about all the people who have lived there before Amnesia (Opium) got there. Why should they have to suffer through this?

I don't know - Wasn't Amnesia shut down for the same reasons? Why doesn't anyone think it can't happen to Opium if they are causing the exact same nuisance? I think they should just put a roof on the place and be done with it.

I'm sure the place will be open for conference.

My logic goes like this:

Miami Beach is a lively, exciting, noisy place. You should know this before you move there. I live on Biscayne Boulevard, since I like to catch up on my sleep from time to time, but still be close enough to the beach to do what I do. If I lived on the Beach I'd be an insomniac by now.

Basically, if you can't stand the heat, get the fuck out of the kitchen. The building which houses Opium was there as a club long before the condos on that side went up, in my mind the developers of the condos should have kept that in mind. The city too, they should have zoned it accordingly. I've bashed Opium in the past for some of their policies and practices, but I will stick up for them in their right to be an operational club.

Opium can put up all the sound walls they want, but some sap is still going to complain, some overfed, snooty, Euro-trash moron still won't be happy, some egotistical New Yorker will still complain...then they go to the council, and frankly that gets nowhere, since the council is finally realizing that without the clubs, South Beach is as good as dead. The Beach needs the clubs, from Opium, to crobar, even Club Deep!

OK...here's the deal....

1.) Opium is the only club on the beach that was built to be a nightclub. The area it is in is zoned for that use and the club is fully licensed. Even if the zoning were to be changed, the club would be "grandfathered" in.

2.) The main problem is coming from an 80 year old man who lives at Ocean Dr. and 4th Street facing the ocean. Even if he did not wear 2 hearing aids, (I'm not joking, he really wears 2 hearing aids), he still wouldn't hear anything from Opium. He just has nothing better to do.

3.) The club is actively working with the neighbors to fix the problem.

4.) The city considers conference a special event and as such has assured the club that there won't be any problems that week.

5.) Amnesia was not closed because of noise. They just went out of business.

6.) Unlike Nikki, (Nikki is on property leased from the city), Opium is on private property which means that if the city were to close them, they would be liable for a lawsuit in the tens of millions of dollars. That's why it has not happened and won't.

7.) Most of the complaints stemmed from their Sunday night Hip-Hop party...the neighbors could hear the guy on the mic yelling YO YO YO. Since they got rid of the mic, the complaints have almost stopped.

Basically.....IT'S NOT A PROBLEM!

Peace,

Dade

I personally dig Opium Gardens venue.... I think it's perfect for SoBe...

I hope it stays, and I hope to attend another party there in the near future.

As far as the old man, I'm sure we will all be bitching about something when we are in our 80's:laugh: So as long as the city supports the establishment, it'll be just fine;)

Lola:D