Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What happened at Layo and Bushwacka???

fostech

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by pod

Bigger clubs like Space 34, crobar, and Maze have their own on-duty sound techs, or technical staff in the case of Space 34.

One of their jobs is, in fact, to prevent the DJ from blowing up the sound system. You usually see them in the booth with a radio and occasionally ducking over to the mixer and turning down the mains a notch or two...

when DD played the old space, where was the sound tech? They fucked it allllllllllllllllllll up that night and space like a bunch of pussies changed up the sound system just for DD... fuck dat!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'll add this...

Friday was my first time at Nerve. I was excited to see the place and hear the sound since I had heard so much about it. I have known Steve Dash for years and there are few people on the planet who know more about sound than him...especially in a nightclub setting.

Overall I had a great time and I think the place has the potential to be a standout in the market. That said, I left rather early because the sound and lighting were getting to me a little bit. As others have already pointed out, the sound was being over-driven to the point of distortion and the tuning was off. The lighting, both ambient and effect, was also very badly done, in my opinion...very bright spots...very dark spots...whatever.

I have other comments on the operation that I would love to pass on to Michael and the Nerve crew privately, if they are interested in hearing my advice...I just don't think a public forum is the place to offer these constructive criticisms. Besides, if they wanted my advice Michael would have asked for it as we are friends.

I will say this though...when it's your club...EVERYTHING IS YOUR FAULT! If the DJ plays too loud, it's your job to correct it. I have pulled guest DJs off the decks at Shadow for not listening to me when I asked them to make an adjustment. A sound check in the afternoon helps a lot because they can come to the dancefloor and get a sense of what it sounds like outside the booth. When Craig was on the sound was already painful...so I think to blame anyone of the DJs is wrong.

Michael, you know I support you and the Nerve project but the buck stops with you, Pal. All DJs play too loud if you let them and they all think they are sound techs. The key is to take the power away from them. The best trick I ever saw was at Creme in Liverpool. In the booth at Creme there are only negative EQs. Everything is tuned with the EQ maxed and the DJ has only the ability to reduce levels.

Anyway, I'll be at Nerve next Friday, (this Friday I have Felix Da Housecat at Opium), and hopefully the issues will have been worked out. Michael, give me a call if you want to hear the rest.

Cheers,

Dade

A friend of mine once had a compressor/limiter rigged so that if the DJ pushed the signal past a certain level, the overal signal level would turn down...the DJ would crank it some more, and it would have the opposite effect unless he throttled it back to a safe level..

still think it wasn't the sound that drove the people away......

i come from a third world country where there are no fazon

systems and all the crap people are complaining about.....

If there is good music....there's people dancing .... and that's

how the equation is in my head....

Miami doesn't know what a bad sound system is.

There's a descent soundsystem almost everywhere you go not

even speaking of nerves super-soundsystem.. which to me

sounded good enouqh for people to dance their arses off till the

end of the set.

Well, here we are used to quality sound systems...even mediocre sound will drive people away...I bitch up a storm if a system is anything less than the quality of Space, Nerve, or Maze...

dade,

As always I/we always, appreciate your input on both the positive and the negative, please give me a buzz I would love to speak to you further about the pros and cons as you see them ... that's what friends are for, to give a truthful opinion, so you can make adjustments if you agree ...........

again thanks for the post, and good luck with your show w/ Felix DA house cat, I'm sure you will have a great night at opium

Nerve Lounge

247 23rd street

(1 Block west of Collins next to rain)

Miami Beach, FL. 33139

305-695-8697 office

305-695-8699 fax

www.NerveMiami.com

NerveMiami@aol.com

UP COMING NERVE EVENTS FOR FRIDAY'S

May 30 ... OCEAN DRIVE PARTY & Tony Humphries ... @ Nerve

June 13 ... Dave Seaman & Infusion "Live" @ Nerve (Bliss & P:M Sessions)

first i want to say that this is great that this has turned into a very positive constructive criticism thread. a lot of good people have contributed to this thread. i think what it all boils down to is the fact that we all love nerve and want nothing but the best out of a venue that i know personally, i will be spending a great deal of nights in.

now i'd like to follow up with an agreement w/ both dade and diego. steve dash employs a full time guy to be, as danny tenaglia refers to him as, the "sound police" it's this guys job to make sure the system sounds 100% quality 100% of the time. and danny tenaglia has made it no secret that he's not happy about it. but he still has to deal with it. i'm sure if you can get spacious to comment in this thread, he'll tell you it's no easy task keeping danny happy w/ the sound etc.

back when twilo was open (and i'm not 100% sure about arc as well, as i don't know the inner workings of arc like i knew what went on behind the scenes at twilo) the dj's were not allowed to touch the eq's. only a select few were given the "keys to the box" that was locked to keep the dj's from tweaking the system out of wack. i have been in the booth at nerve, but didn't pay much attention to the setup, but i know that crobar's phazon has locked boxes as well. there is only so much the dj can do to the sound on the mixer. most dj's are not sound guys as i'm sure that's why steve has locked the eqs. like somebody posted above, the dj will blow your system completely unknowing if you give them the chance. a dj cannot hear what the system sounds like on the floor.

michael, please do not take this as any attack on you or the club, but as an educated clubbers point of view in trying to help you guys succeed. i have been to the club numerous times starting the night that digweed played, and personally i thought the system was just pushed a bit beyond its room limitations each night. some not as bad as others. layo and bushwacka being the worst and i'd say the night that jon and luis diaz played being the best the system has sounded. you mentioned that the 12 foot ceilings are an issue. with a room that small it's not necessary to push it so hard. just try notching the mains down a couple dB for a night and experiment. listen to maze's system. it's very smooth and they do not have to push it, even in a room that size.

when crobar first did their phazon, it sounded similar with ear piercing highs. it wasn't til their first conference that twilo did a party there til the sound was tweaked to perfection. maybe you should fly steve down again now that the system has been broken in for a re-tweak. couldn't hurt ;)

anyways, thanks for listening.

Yes, this thread has turned into a big positive and thanks to everyone for the input....

to answer a few of your statements

(#1)

all the eq's are of course are locked and not even in the booth as per common sense and dash

(#2)

your 100% wrong about how much lee way the equipment in the booth allows the artist, in fact w/ 2 separate cross overs (one for the dance floor & one for the monitors) plus the additional mids and highs controls located on the "phazon custom mixer" in the booth, this equipment allows the DJ's to make it sound virtually any way they want for better or worse, ..........the problem is what sounds "sweet from the booth" sounds horrible on the floor..........it very deceiving!

If it sound like its low (volume) and not enough highs in the booth (with the monitors off) than the floor sounds perfect...........also if the monitor are cranked when you tun them off your ear thinks it's hardly playing on the dance floor and thus leads the DJ to crank it up some more - there are arrows on the cross overs to mark for the DJ's the "sweet spot" set up by dash -- and quite simply that's the problem ..........if it sounds good in the booth (w/ the monitors off) the dance floor is "off".............

as far as the system being pushed - as of day one it has been set at a negative DB in the booth as someone has suggested earlier (don't forget dash is arguably the best sound guy in the world) ...and ALL THE AMPS ARE SET Way BELOW ANY KIND OF MAX.............they never run hot or even show a red clip light no matter how hard you push it.........they have so much "head room its ridicules"............the system is probably capable of going twice the volume it is set at now!

Anyway I guess Dade is right at the end of they day it is the clubs responsibility to police the situation one way or another....................at the end of the day, its a very easy problem to cure and were on it !!!!!!

thanks for the input

Nerve Lounge

247 23rd street

Miami Beach, FL. 33139

305-695-8697 office

305-695-8699 fax

www.NerveMiami.com

NerveMiami@aol.com

As a past club owner, I would take 100% responsibility for my sound. Period. A dj mixer eq is all he/she should have and that should never, ever be enough to distort the entire system. Dj's have never had a problem with me turning down a knob if they understood I was doing it for the betterment of the club experience. They want you fix it if it is horrible. as long as you explain it to them properly (understanding how artists can be)

I have a questiom as well. Were they brand new needles used that night?

Also Nerve, blaming the dj's. I don't know man, that's not cool

IN MY OPINION

yes the needles were brand new, like we always do for out of town top flight talent, and no one was blaming anyone, all you got to do is read my posts, it was not about assigning blame it all started when someone complained about the highs and the volume, and i attempted to give an explanation for the sound system and what was going on.................what club did you own? i was unaware that you had owed a venue??????

but now i think i have the answer, and that's to lock all the crossovers with covers (like crobar did in the beginning), turn all the amps down 70%, put some limiters on the system, and put a sliding bolt on the DJ door.....than maybe this thread will end...............your killing me !!!!!! with this nonsense

Nerve Lounge

247 23rd street

Miami Beach, FL. 33139

305-695-8697 office

305-695-8699 fax

www.NerveMiami.com

NerveMiami@aol.com

not to keep bringing this tread up but. . .

I read your post and it clearly puts blame of the sound situation on the dj's. I'm not starting anything here, believe me, I have, however, shared my opinion that the venue is responsible for sound quality. I think we can agree that we disagree here.

And for your information, I ran my club for 4 years in Tampa Bay. It was a dj driven lounge open 5 - 7 days a week for those 4 years. Spot was called Budious Maximus, The Greatest Lounge On Earth. I moved here actually before my club closed, so I can relate to your situation alot more than you think.

So here is what I suggest. I'm coming in with my crew for Tony Humpfries (which you really should of had us promote) and lets hear that sound system then. Tony is no youngin'. I hope you guys get it tightened up by then.

Joe Budious

p.s. who represents Nerve here on club planet? Thanks

I never knew you owned a place, it sounded like it was great place, and it's great that we will see you for the Tony humphries show it will be rocking, the man is a true master!!!!

...........and I'm sticking to my guns on this one as far as the sound goes, its the clubs job to "police" the guest DJ's but its the DJ's responsibility to keep an eye of the levels, to take a walk on the floor or anything else that needs to be done to make the system sound sweet..........if the system sounds like shit because of a poor system or install, hey the DJ cant do anything about it, nor can anyone else with out a fat check book in their hand - but if its a top notch, properly tuned system as our system is, than the artist needs to take some responsibly for the sound quality and the volume whoever that may be, for events both in the past and the future..............if not than what do we need to pay 3-10k grand for top notch talent, lets hire bedroom DJ's for $50.00 dollars and call it a day ...........

As far as the layo & bushwacker show goes it was 100% amazing and off the hook and worth every penny and we would love to see them return,, they are great DJ's and true gentleman.

Nick and the entire cool junkie family did an amazing job from a-z and again some how in typical C. P fashion this tread has turned into drama.........see u at the bar on Friday for Tony humphries and the ocean drive party

thanks again for the input

Nerve Lounge

247 23rd street

Miami Beach, FL. 33139

305-695-8697 office

305-695-8699 fax

www.NerveMiami.com

NerveMiami@aol.com

Originally posted by roxysandiego

Is it 18 and over now? My boyfriend's younger brother was there with his group of friends. They had a great time. :)

I don't think maze is 18 and younger but I'm not sure ............but I glad your friends "little brother" had a blast w/ all his friends at maze...........

are they doing a teen night there?????????

if so it's new to me!

we are strictly 21 and over

Nerve Lounge

247 23rd street

Miami Beach, FL. 33139

305-695-8697 office

305-695-8699 fax

www.NerveMiami.com

NerveMiami@aol.com

maze is 21+ along with everything else on miami beach as far as i know

we just had my little brother's 24th birthday party there a couple weeks ago, and it was awesome with ralph falcon on the tables

all i know is that the nerve system crackled in my ears too many times for me, so we all left and went to maze, and robbie rivera was kicking it hard and for real...i won't miss him next time he plays there

the funktion one system at maze is the best in miami if you ask me...

george acosta is going to be at maze i thought. what is the word about him going to be at nerve??

i thought maze was 21 and over, thanks for the confirm ...........Robbie Rivera is a friend of nerve and a great DJ and I'm glad you enjoyed his set at maze.........as far as the maze sound system it rocks, but not even on the same page as the "phazon"........but everyone is entitled to there opinion and we respect yours

Nerve Lounge

247 23rd street

Miami Beach, FL. 33139

305-695-8697 office

305-695-8699 fax

www.NerveMiami.com

NerveMiami@aol.com

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by nervemaimi

as far as the maze sound system it rocks, but not even on the same page as the "phazon"........but everyone is entitled to there opinion and we respect yours

ARE YOU SMOKING CRACK!!!!!!

By law, all clubs on the beach are 21 and over. Your brother got lucky...not for long though, since the clubs are being threatened again, ID checks will be pretty rough. Underage people are a big liability nowadays.

he is smoking A LARGE AMOUNT OF CRACK to come to that decision...

regardless of the crowd or the dj, the funktion one at maze smacks up nerve's system as well as most everyone else. only club owner propaganda can distort the reality of quality sound...

I've been to Maze twice in the last couple of months and both times it looked like there were a lot of underage peeps in there. I didn't see anyone check IDs at the door or anywhere else. The Funktion One system sounds beautiful ONLY if you're on the dancefloor...walk 20 feet away and you lose all definition...just my opinion.

agreed - the phason is a proven entity.. look at the clubs that put there sound in the hands of phason/steve dash - Twilo, Arch, Cream, Ministry of sound, Renaissance, Crobar, Nerve, Slinky - they must be doing something right - LOL

Several UK clubs use Funktion-One though....the system is fairly new in the grand scheme of things...a couple of years and it will take hold.

In my mind, Phazon isn't the do-all-end-all of sound systems. It is a wonderful thing, but the system needs to be kept up, including periodic tuning and maintenance, which I'm hoping Nerve will definitely do. Some other Phazon-equipped clubs let this slide from time to time, and it is noticeable. I've been at crobar sometimes and the sound is deplorable...then they get some engineers in there and it sounds great again.

Not for nothing, but the mid-highs in Nerve are Funktion-One AX-88s. That's what Phazon does, they take the best parts of other people's systems, and combine the results into one super-system :cool: ...take crobar's rig...in reality it's a highly site-specific JBL rig.

here are a few of the top 100 DJ's (in the world) that we have had at our club in the last three months, most of them played and a few of them just came to visit............every single one of these guys made major league positive statements about the phazon sound system - the entire list below plus guys like David morales, Timmy regisford, hector romero, Oscar g, stryke, cedric gervalis, shephan Luke, Juan meja, Jon cowan, jimmy T, Matt Martinez, and the list is endless of guys that want to play at our club BECAUSE OF THE BOOTH, THE SET UP, THE PHAZON SOUND AND THE VIBE OF THE CLUB...........and if they are unable to play because they have residencies at other clubs, that have all made positive comments on the sound..............but i guess these people have no idea what they are talking about right, hey lets listen to saleen !!!!!!

Again all posts and opinions are welcome both positive and negative - IT'S AMERICA AND WERE ARE ALL FREE TO EXPRESS OURSELVES..............but smoking crack, I don't think so .................

top 100 dj's from mixer mag (that have been/played @ nerve)

2 Sasha

3 John Digweed

13 Steve Lawler

15 Sander Kleinenberg

17 Erick Morillo

20 Roger Sanchez

30 Satoshi Tomiie

31 Masters At Work

33 Darren Emerson

38 Dave Seaman

39 James Zabiela

49 Anthony Pappa

56 Layo & Bushwacka

57 Timo Maas

61 Jimmy Van M

65 Chris Fortier

81 Tony Humphries

83 George Acosta

85 David Morales

86 Stanton Warriors

93 Tim Deluxe

Nerve Lounge

247 23rd street

Miami Beach, FL. 33139

305-695-8697 office

305-695-8699 fax

www.NerveMiami.com

NerveMiami@aol.com