Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What would you liek to hear more of on 1035 the new KTU

Originally posted by berniec

it comes down to basic enonomics- the CLIENTS (the people who buy commercial time) know that 18-25yr old males are not the ones running out to but their products - its the older demographic that they target. So now if you throw on a station that caters to a demo that nobody wants to try and sell to- who is going to advertise on it??

Party105 on LI does very well numbers wise (in their rather small coverage area) but i'm sure their revenue per listener is minimal compared to that of KTU/Z100/Hot97, etc

18-35 is the demographic most targeted by advertisers...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't play classics(as in 70's type stuff), I always turn off my radio when their is a classic song that comes on KTU. Definately more mix shows, instead of just Friday and Saturday night, why not every night? Tape em and put them on like at midnight-2am??? Alternating DJs every night. The Riddler thing is good at 9 o'clock, but I don't like hearing Vic Latino yelling over every song.

Satellite radio seems like a great alternative, it just needs to be cheaper (give it some time). Internet radio is another great service that many people overlook. Get that while it's free... The bottom line is, when money becomes an issue, the quality decreases (in anything, obviously). When FM radio was started, it was free-form and devoid of corporate sponsordhip. Local DJs played anything and everything they were feeling or felt the people should hear (see College radio...). Radio was used as a way to get across a message. Now it is used to sell you something. The only time you're likely to hear good music on the radio is in the middle of the night when not many people listen (Liquid Todd) or when you pop a CD in.

Originally posted by dgmodel

18-35 is the demographic most targeted by advertisers...

it higher then that for radio - trust me. Its like 25 - 54 or something like that- look at all the stations in the city that still cater to an 'older crowd - CBS FM, LiteFM, KTU with their classic dance and freestyle stuff, PLJ (Sat nite 80's/retro request hour)

young people that listen to radio dont buy products tehy hear advertiesd - there are millions of dollars of research to back me up on this one

Originally posted by dialectics

actually that's not true - 18-25 is a highly lucrative market.... we are the ones who have a lot of liquid capital and both the desire and ability to spend it. the older set has families, mortgage, car payments, etc. not as much money to throw around on gratuitous dance music eh?

ok, so a 22 year old might hear and ad and go buy a can of pepsi- a 30 year old woman hears an ad for a Cadillac and goes and buys a new car - now out of those two sales, who just made a much greater profit margin.

i'm not going to argue, i didnt do the research, but i've worked in radio since i was 15 and think i should know the deal by now...

years ago i thought i had all the answers too ;)

We gotta make NYC the dance captial of the world again like when Studio 54 was around and more contemporary, Twilo, regarded by some of the biggest DJ's in the world as the greatest club ever...since we allegedly have a Crobar coming and Spirit opening in the same space as Twilo i think now is the time to give NYC a push...lets face it, Centro Fly is gaining recognition around the world now but its the only damn club NYC has left and its doing a great great job at getting great talent....as for KTU, give a big name DJ his own radio show like Danny Tenaglia, Erick Morillo or Roger Sanchez who are all native New Yorkers...make them compete with other world renowned radio stations like Radio 1, Kiss 100, Galaxy 105 which are all in the UK and have a huge listener basis in this country via the web...and work hand in hand with the bigger clubs to promote NYC as a dance captial instead of going out to Sandbar in New Jersey and hearing a Louie Devito CD on loop...i can go on and on but im cant waste my time...ive posted this soooo many god damn times im nauseas from it already

Originally posted by berniec

it higher then that for radio - trust me. Its like 25 - 54 or something like that- look at all the stations in the city that still cater to an 'older crowd - CBS FM, LiteFM, KTU with their classic dance and freestyle stuff, PLJ (Sat nite 80's/retro request hour)

young people that listen to radio dont buy products tehy hear advertiesd - there are millions of dollars of research to back me up on this one

i was not aware of this... im going to go out on a limb and take your word for it... however i was always under the impression that the ever so crucial 18-35 demographic applied to all areas of marketing... (except travel, appliance, home goods, retirement neccessities etc.) i always figured thats why the hyped up car commercials are on, or the ads for new fashion stores, or std's and etc...

Originally posted by tunnelbandit

Play some fucking Skynyrd MAN!!!!!!

how bout some sabbath?

whens the last time you heard some of randy rhodes material on all these faggot classic rock stations play that'll play jimmie page till the cows come home...

stupid double guitar that the guy from cheap trick used... 'is he playing the top one or the bottom one' ughhhhhhhh

maybe we should just throw up a lighter and say 'ughhh do stairway to heaven again..' 'ughhhh black dog' ugh... classic rock radio stations STINK...

how about national acrobat off sabbath bloody sabbath? spiral architect? noooooooooooo people won't recognize that, and we can't go TWOFER TUESDAYS!!!! with that one... ughh... stop playing paranoid and war pigs... how about sabotage? or symptom of the universe?

ughhhh put on 'dream on' for the 9201230959036590832167th time...

'my generation' every 10 minutes... no one cares about robert daltry and his gimicky tight jeans... its stupid and no one cares...

and santana... take the wammy bar and shove it up your ass... stealing riffs from rat salad or something...

you're a classic rock station, right?? :confused:

Originally posted by joeg

whens the last time you heard some of randy rhodes material on all these faggot classic rock stations play that'll play jimmie page till the cows come home...

i was listen q104.3 the other day i was stuck in traffic, and i had it on search, so it stopped there and a fuckin NIRVANA song was on... how is that classic rock that was only about 10yrs ago...

oh shit thats old.. fuck im old... :(

Originally posted by dgmodel

i was listen q104.3 the other day i was stuck in traffic, and i had it on search, so it stopped there and a fuckin NIRVANA song was on... how is that classic rock that was only about 10yrs ago...

oh shit thats old.. fuck im old... :(

i guess when you die before your career is over its "classic"... but with that being said... randy rhodes died in a plane crash at 26... lets hear some of those 'classics'...

:mad:

Hell NO :nono:, instead of classics, how about more freestyle? I f you are looking to the 18- 35 crowd, dont you think classics is before that time :what: ? Freestyle is what that group grew up on. Another change you need to do is more mix shows. There is so much music out there and you play the same shit all the other stations play. There is alot more music out there then the Top 100. There are so many DJ's that would spin live for FREE between 1 and 5 am. You can get big names on the weekends, or you can play sets that were recorded.

There is so much you can do, and all you do is copy the rest of them. Stand out do something different, TRY IT

One more thing I think it is time to take New out of the Ktu. There is nothing new about it.

Originally posted by 1035thenewktu

More classics?

Global Party 93.1 , ktu should take some notes. Fire the whole fucking cast, gumba blah and the rest of those retarted people who annoy the shit out of everybody, if ktu wants to remain a normal radio station, they should be more global and less commercials.

Originally posted by housedog

There is so much you can do, and all you do is copy the rest of them. Stand out do something different, TRY IT

One more thing I think it is time to take New out of the Ktu. There is nothing new about it.

with the possible exception of Blink (102.7) NY is market #1, people are VERY leary to 'try' things in big markets b/c of the possibility of disaster.

I'm not jumping down anybodys throat, but I think myself and any other young guy who's ever worked in radio/tv has said all of these things before and got the explanations on why things 'just dont work that way'

Originally posted by nychunk

Global Party 93.1 , ktu should take some notes. Fire the whole fucking cast, gumba blah and the rest of those retarted people who annoy the shit out of everybody, if ktu wants to remain a normal radio station, they should be more global and less commercials.

errr...less commercials? Do you even have a clue as to how a radio station makes money? I know we all want less commercials, but asking them to do that would be like us telling your mom to start giving you less allowance.

And all those ppl who want more "freestyle" but in the same vein yell that they shouldn't play the same 5 tracks over and over again....How many friggin times do I have to hear timmy T, johnny o, stevie b, stevie v, cynthia and judy torres over and over again on this god forsaken station? Each of these "artists" had 1 hit song in the past and they fucking have them playing on repeat half the friggin day. THEN, the commercials are advertising that they are on TOUR! How old are these idiots and who are the morons still listening to their 1 songs? You'd have to amass 40 freestyle artists to have a 1 hour concert!

But I do agree with a lot of you. A great dance show that isn't limited to spewing cheesy tracks would be a great addition to NY radio. I can understand that a mass marketed station needs to cater to the mass market, but like many of us have said, there are a LOT of songs out there that has great mass appeal but get no exposure. A DJ showcase can be run by local DJ's of ALL genre's with a good rotation going. Then they can run interviews and possibly guest mix spots for great international DJ's when they are in the area (i.e. 1 hour of Tiesto, Lawler, PvD, etc when they show up in NYC, maybe the night of the show....).

Throughout the mid morning and afternoon, play some top40 hits and classics since the majority of those listening at those hours are the older generation who work. Around 4pm-7pm, play some of the cheesier tracks to cater to the student/teen crowd. Around 9-11pm have a great local DJ show that introduces new tracks and from 12-4am, have mix show that plays some of more obscure stuff.

This way, you have 1 radio station that captures the minds and souls of many generations while not leaving anyone out in the dirt.

I remember when KTU broadcasted Paul Oakenfold's set last summer from CPI... it sucked... and that is when I officially gave up on Oakenfold. I haven't listened to the radio since last summer. I get sets, albums, and make my own mixes. I really just don't need the radio. So KTU can do whatever the fuck they want for all I care. I still remember the type of ppl. that would call up... thats who they are appealing too, not real headz. I think the best thing that could have happened was that no one responded to this thread as a boycott. That would really tell KTU to fuck off, and maybe even stop calling themselves a dance radio-station, b/c that is an insult to Dance Music. :)

HI VIxxen ( nice reply earlier)

hotbarbiedoll ( nice to see you again- dont listen to that herb)

Img

and of corse to my good friend

Jeff (Head Marketing Coordinator)@ KTU

i hope this is not a test at the demographics?

this really isnt the place to add a percentage about it---

like i said before

if you want some real info that will

A) hold true

B)have backing of relevancy

C) be just as applicable to your marketing research as you would hope it to be-

then by all means

get in touch with me-:hat:

we all have our "serect lives"

youd be amazed at what some of the people on CP do in real life as a profession;)

by the way Jeff?

did you see this

AHHA

ktuliqid.gif

i am quite sick of turning on KTU because it seems liek they play more dance music from 10 yrs ago than today

i am not sayin to change the programming drastically but yo

we are in NY where there are SOOOO many DJ's

one or two mix shows a night in post 7 pm time shifts cannot be that radical of a suggestion to try

why not try and introduce some of the better european dance music to the masses.

people like louie devito are an emabarassment and the people at KTU Support him

its terrible.

i mean noone who knows anyting about the music will say LOUIE Devito -- respect

sorry

and what about tryin to support the NY club scene

advertise more NY parties instead of all the cheesy parties they advertise.

LIR does it with their parties.

how many long island events do you hear on LIR -- tons

KTU i understand has a multi state audience... but they need to be a more active part in supporting the night life.

its just plain terrible what this station and its involvement has added to the scene.

come on people

i took a internship class on radio and i do understand that in markets lik NY change is difficult.

but what i am sayin is that KTU doesnt try ANYTHING new

its been the same KTU since it started

the programming hasnt changed, the rotation styles havent changed...

WHY are they still the NEW ktu?

Originally posted by buredf

i am quite sick of turning on KTU because it seems liek they play more dance music from 10 yrs ago than today

i am not sayin to change the programming drastically but yo

we are in NY where there are SOOOO many DJ's

one or two mix shows a night in post 7 pm time shifts cannot be that radical of a suggestion to try

why not try and introduce some of the better european dance music to the masses.

people like louie devito are an emabarassment and the people at KTU Support him

its terrible.

i mean noone who knows anyting about the music will say LOUIE Devito -- respect

sorry

and what about tryin to support the NY club scene

advertise more NY parties instead of all the cheesy parties they advertise.

LIR does it with their parties.

how many long island events do you hear on LIR -- tons

KTU i understand has a multi state audience... but they need to be a more active part in supporting the night life.

its just plain terrible what this station and its involvement has added to the scene.

come on people

couldnt have said it better...and thats essentially what my previous post said...i also agree 100% that it wouldnt be a drastic change if u gave an hour or 2 slot to some good house music...KTU try something newwwwww and stop calling urself the new KTU...uve been around since 96....another good point was long islands promotion of clubs....NYC please get with the program...its like im listening to a station that caters to drunken, backward, fools from new jersey.....promoting all their clubs and playing that shit jersey shore music

if KTU plays good music, and people start to bitch that its too commercial, well then they're fucking morons. just because something's popular doesn't make it bad (or good).

besides, "underground trance" is an oxymoron just as bad as "honest politician"

We here at KTU keep are music and staff NEW and FRESH! We are made by the listener and for the listener!  Keep in mind we try to appeal to all age groups and types of people in the disco scene! Check out the late night party for all you deep dark raving type clubbers!  (Yes we know you’re out there!)

We promise to keep delivering great content if you promise to keep listening!

We are also moving are party crew into the latest club fad GLOW STICKS! That’s rite folks be ready for spotting the ktu party crew out and about handing out free glow sticks. We know what you all want!

-peace for all