Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Congrats to the 9 Cooljunkie finalists.....

lavosdeldiablo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by cooljunkie

It's a difficult line to draw, because many DJ's have had residencies at one time or another. In our opinion, Oscar is still a new DJ and is eligible to enter.

Regarding Lime, that's just a coincidence.

And about AT's promoter comment, the heats are judged by a panel. The public vote result will only be announced after the winners are chosen, and will not affect the outcome.

Thanks for your reply Nick. :) IMO if a contest is going to be for true amateurs then, they should not have held any type of residencies. in order to keep the playing field even. a "bedroom DJ " who may have the skill set, who has not played at a club ,would clearly be somewhat disadvantaged.

hopefully this will be better defined next time around. in any case I wish all the finalists the best of luck. :clap:

Originally posted by sobeton

Thanks for your reply Nick. :) IMO if a contest is going to be for true amateurs then, they should not have held any type of residencies. in order to keep the playing field even. a "bedroom DJ " who may have the skill set, who has not played at a club ,would clearly be somewhat disadvantaged.

hopefully this will be better defined next time around. in any case I wish all the finalists the best of luck. :clap:

That's a very good point, but it's difficult to uphold an absolute rule like that, because some bedroom DJ's have had a 6 week shot at a club which didn't work out, and they deserve a chance too. We'd love to please everyone all of the time but it's impossible :)

That's a very good point, but it's difficult to uphold an absolute rule like that, because some bedroom DJ's have had a 6 week shot at a club which didn't work out, and they deserve a chance too. We'd love to please everyone all of the time but it's impossible :)

i just find it funny i never EVER heard of the other djs yet i see oscars name on million fliers all over south beach

"amateurs " would need to be better defined. but I understand your position.. ;)

I have no residencies......no place to play really........and thats the

story.... If I had a team of promoters behind me I would be

playing everytime they have a party, and that's not so.

There are no promoters helping me for the competition, I doubt

there will be any at the spin-off's either. As far as Carlos

supporting me, well he likes my style and we kiicked-off as a good

team from the first party he through with me. Freddy... never

even liked my music and has never promoted me (just his party). carlos+freddy don't even work together anymore!

As far as lots of friends being there for me to vote at the spin-offs,

maybe I'll have 2-3 tops.

Originally posted by fostech

I have no residencies......no place to play really........and thats the

story.... If I had a team of promoters behind me I would be

playing everytime they have a party, and that's not so.

There are no promoters helping me for the competition, I doubt

there will be any at the spin-off's either. As far as Carlos

supporting me, well he likes my style and we kiicked-off as a good

team from the first party he through with me. Freddy... never

even liked my music and has never promoted me (just his party). carlos+freddy don't even work together anymore!

As far as lots of friends being there for me to vote at the spin-offs,

maybe I'll have 2-3 tops.

ok, since u put it that way..

it just sounded fishy thats all

yes, congratulations to all of the finalists (and the honorable mentions, too). it's great that cooljunkie sponsored this competition - regardless of the fine print, we're all going to benefit from hearing some new local talent. unfortunately, it's impossible to satisfy everyone when it comes to entry rules, judging, et cetera. the questions raised here seem fair, and have been honestly answered (imnsho). over at the cj forum, however, there are djs asking why their mixes didn't win, and people arguing about the legality of using software like pcdj for their entries. i hope that sort of negativity doesn't discourage the cj crew from having another contest next year. anyway, i'm looking forward to tonight's showcase. thank you, cooljunkies!

Originally posted by andrewthomas

hahaha shushhh

not everyone can tell that its aim sounds in the back ground lmaooo

yeah like I though the first one was a sound effect, but after the 20th .... :laugh: though it was a great mix should have been picked but those junkies probably just don't understand Techno

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I mean it's fun and all to have a DJ competition, but who won last year, does anybody even remember, I believe he got to play Space a few times recently, but did he even get paid? does he have a weekly residency, is he doing a lot of out of town gigs? What about Craig Demo? He should play more around here, what's deck junkie doing about that, and Kurtis Patrick has weekly residency now, but he hooked that up himself and some some of his friends

but anyway it's definitely a nice distraction during the slow summer months, but I wouldn't place too much importance on it

Originally posted by eKiTeL

yeah like I though the first one was a sound effect, but after the 20th .... :laugh: though it was a great mix should have been picked but those junkies probably just don't understand Techno

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I mean it's fun and all to have a DJ competition, but who won last year, does anybody even remember, I believe he got to play Space a few times recently, but did he even get paid? does he have a weekly residency, is he doing a lot of out of town gigs? What about Craig Demo? He should play more around here, what's deck junkie doing about that, and Kurtis Patrick has weekly residency now, but he hooked that up himself and some some of his friends

but anyway it's definitely a nice distraction during the slow summer months, but I wouldn't place too much importance on it

Wow some real bitterness there - not sure why. Michael Louis (last year's winner) is considered by Oscar G and Roland to be one of the best new DJ's in Miami, and has played Space several times, Ultra, and Opium Garden with BBC Radio 1 (and was featured on their site and promo materials), and has an upcoming booking in Atlanta. All paid. He's finishing college right now which prevents much traveling.

Craig Demo is also heading to Atlanta soon for 2 gigs, and has played Space recently as well as Nerve (warming up for Layo & Bushwacka!) and Living Room (warming up for Mr. C). He has also recently become involved in Tone Control Records who have had tunes picked up by Saeed & Palash.

Kurtis Patrick played a very slick tech house set on the Space Terrace recently and is doing well in his residency. Also played Ultra and Opium Garden at conference.

I think we're doing OK.

do any of those winning djs play anything good or all just sleepy house???

and CJ should post thier sets so we can have a listen all for ourselves

i dont see how a dj compitition is based on judges that noone knows

none said who the judges were nor how many or any info on them

how do they get to choose hos the best dj over a crowd cause the judges might have horrible taste

ya never know

Originally posted by andrewthomas

do any of those winning djs play anything good or all just sleepy house???

and CJ should post thier sets so we can have a listen all for ourselves

i dont see how a dj compitition is based on judges that noone knows

none said who the judges were nor how many or any info on them

how do they get to choose hos the best dj over a crowd cause the judges might have horrible taste

ya never know

Shorter versions of the mixes are available at our listening station in Virgin Megastore from tomorrow.

Judges are: Oscar G, Edgar V, Roland, Mike Hamersley, Us, Rob Tufts, Buster, and a few others. Pretty well rounded. It's better this way because if an audience chooses, then the DJ with the most friends wins.

if you want to hear the finalists, come to tonight's showcase at the virgin megastore. it's free, and you'll be able to check out each dj without having to endure a long set of music you might not enjoy.

as for the identity of the judges, the contest rules and format were spelled out on the cj website weeks ago. it's a free country - if you don't like this particular game, then don't play. it's nice that nick posted their names, but if i had been a judge, i certainly wouldn't want a dozen djs coming up to me at maze demanding top know why, exactly, their mixes weren't chosen, so maybe a little mystery would've been a good thing.

perhaps all of the dissatisfied djs should organize their own contest, or maybe just skip straight to forming a dj agency and take the competition to the miami marketplace.

Plus, being that this is Miami, the crowd probably won't have an iota of musical knowledge and taste.

The judges are a pretty broad spectrum anyways...DJs, writers, radio personalities, clubgoers...

Originally posted by saintjohn

if you want to hear the finalists, come to tonight's showcase at the virgin megastore. it's free, and you'll be able to check out each dj without having to endure a long set of music you might not enjoy.

as for the identity of the judges, the contest rules and format were spelled out on the cj website weeks ago. it's a free country - if you don't like this particular game, then don't play. it's nice that nick posted their names, but if i had been a judge, i certainly wouldn't want a dozen djs coming up to me at maze demanding top know why, exactly, their mixes weren't chosen, so maybe a little mystery would've been a good thing.

perhaps all of the dissatisfied djs should organize their own contest, or maybe just skip straight to forming a dj agency and take the competition to the miami marketplace.

In all honesty...there is an unwritten code to competition that I always follow.....

Gracious in defeat....humble in victory. A loss is a chance to gain knowledge, perspective and experience for growth. Anything worth having is worth earning...now quit your bitchin'!