Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Are You A REAL DJ?

guest00901

If you only spin with CDs?

I'm helping a good friend of mine out with getting gigs in NYC and he's done a few bar/lounges already but I was thinking about it....he really only spins house with CD's and hip hop with records...if I book him at a large venue would he get hated on cause he only spins CDs??

this is gonna start the biggest vinyl vs. cd debate......:blah::frust::punch:

IMO....do oil painters hate .....the water based painters.... or do clay sculptors hate rock carvers.....IMO its all an art...how u deliver it to the people is all that matters....cd or vinyl....

remember its supposed to be about the music...

no matter what way its delivered....

I M O...:D

i totally agreed with mangle...his points are right in terms of how you bring it...but i know for a fact that in the hip hop world, cats get no respect for spinning cds...that's just how their mentaliy is...i'm not saying everyone is shitted on but for the most part, you go to a hip hop party and catz look at you funny...more or less if you use the pioneers to scratch (for hip hop), you will get some eyebrows raised though...

to me, music is music...if you can rock it, whether it's on mp3 or whatever, then you a dj, a person brining non stop aural pleasure to your ears...

with house you could get away using cd's because now a days even vinyl dj's use cd's for an accapella or even when the song isn't released yet on vinyl but for hip hop you have to use records its almost a must because hip hop is not so much how good you can beat match(which also does matter) but more how good you can scratch because most hip hop dj's who do you use cd's will let a track play then just cue the next song from the end of the previous and there really isn't any skill in that also scratching is also wat the hip hop crowd wants to hear because you can scratch and keep playing a certain part over and over when you use records but with cd's you use a loop which just repeats the part with no scratch at all...this is of course in my own opinion being one of my boys use to be a dj couple years ago when cd's weren't as popular and he said using records is just more of a thrill so being it i believe in hip hop dj's who use records not only get a chance to be creative for the crowd but also get a bigger thrill and excitement outta using records...my 200cents

matt

ok...here my 2 cents.

I never liked the whole concept of CD DJing. If it wasnt Vinyl it wasnt real DJing to me.

After trying it out and seeing the work it takes, how it has certain advantages and dis-advantages just like Vinyl, i think it is necessary to know 'how' to do both. Now-a-days with DLing music, digital everything, you have to be with the game.

I still dont condone it but it is called being Prepared. Vinyl will be around forever..i dont care what anyone says.

Tek

Everything has its day...Vinyl will not be around forever face the fact....its lasted the longest ..."YES" something will takes its place....I thnk the cd has already started...IMO....and Im sure something will come along and take the cds place....and so on and so on...besides spining cds I dont even use them...I got the computer with 5000 tracks I could ever want to listen....If I wanna go portable...sure I burn a disc for the car...or for work....but then just throw it out....not to mention I threw out 150 cds of various music that I collected since high school(10 years now)

and lets not forget about the replacement for all our discmans...."the mp3 player"

To me it doesnt really matter. Like everyone has been saying, 90% of hip-hop DJs spin vinyl simply because you can do a lot more with it than you can CDs. The newer CD players that they say can work just like turntables arent just the same, yet...the CDJ 1000s are pretty close, but still not the same. Anywho, I dont think there would be any problems with someone playing a house/trance club with strictly CDs. Anyone that bashes someone for that is ignorant.

Originally posted by sexxybabyd

If you only spin with CDs?

I'm helping a good friend of mine out with getting gigs in NYC and he's done a few bar/lounges already but I was thinking about it....he really only spins house with CD's and hip hop with records...if I book him at a large venue would he get hated on cause he only spins CDs??

most people wont even notice

i personally love spinnin vinyl...but there is so much stuff out there that just doesnt come out on vinyl or when it does come out its way past its prime.....but vinyl is just so much better to spin with u have more control.....dont think if he gets a large venue ppl will sa anything about him using just cd's, but if u look at the top ranked dj's they use nothing but vinyl

Its true, all the top jocks use CDs to some extent in thier sets. Rumor has it Deep Dish uses nearly ALL CDs! So don't worry about your friend being hated on..

Any club worth its salt will have CD decks in the booth. So don't worry too much about that.

I've switched over from vinyl to cds about 3 years ago and I haven't had any problems, except with the rare cd skippng. Sound quality can be an issue too, especially if you plan on using mp3s in your set. But overall, I prefer using cds.

James J.

Danbury, CT

personally i think he's got his act down - there are a lot of things that you can work a track with (provided you got the rite gear) from a CD (efx, loops, etc.) using one of the newer cd players (d-9000, etc.) that you just cant do on vinyl, at least without lugging around 2 copies of each record...so in my opinion for house music CD's have a BIG advantage over vinyl.

that being said, if your spinning hip hop, the ghetto childern wanna see those tables :)

Originally posted by Teknojunkee

ok...here my 2 cents.

I never liked the whole concept of CD DJing. If it wasnt Vinyl it wasnt real DJing to me.

After trying it out and seeing the work it takes, how it has certain advantages and dis-advantages just like Vinyl, i think it is necessary to know 'how' to do both. Now-a-days with DLing music, digital everything, you have to be with the game.

I still dont condone it but it is called being Prepared. Vinyl will be around forever..i dont care what anyone says.

Tek

I am soo on the same page as u...

I am a huge vinyl fan. They are warmer sounding than cd's, you can manipulate tracks better (IMO you have more control over what you are doing), and then there is that whole scratching thing ;). Nothing like it, and I am so much more comfortable with the tables than with cd players.

However, given recent developments I have begun to spin cd's AS WELL as vinyl. Now I still spin mostly vinyl but I also now use cd's which is something I never thought I would say. I used to be incredibly against it.

Basically cd's are good for throwing accas over stuff (as someone mentioned before) and for tracks that can't be found on vinyl yet (and at the rate tracks come out these days that covers a lot of tracks). They also have fun looping functions that can help you fuck with a track or make it go on for 20 minutes if u really wanted to. And then there are the fancier cd players that have come out that simulate the feel and manipulation of vinyl (plus EFX). Also, they are a lot lighter to carry than a bunch of records.

So using both is probably what most HOUSE dj's are doing these days. Even the ones everyone loves around here (Junior, JP, Danny, etc) yes, even they use cd's. The ones that travel around a lot I guarantee use them even more frequently than 12".

But I think if you are just starting out it is important not to neglect the vinyl, learn how to use the tables too. Don't forget where the whole art form came from in the first place.

However, if he wants to be a straight up LEGIT hip hop dj, don't even touch the cd.

Also every club has cd players up in their booth. Haven't been to one yet that doesn't have that these days, so I guess you can say they are there for a reason.

Originally posted by mindfaqd

In 10 years people will be debating if ur a real dj if u spin w/ minidiscs. Its all the same. Put together a quality set and the crowd won't be asking "Do u think he's spinnin' on vinyl?" They'll remember u for ur set. :D

:aright:

The days of simply cd vs vinyl are over.

there is now a moral dilema attactched as well as the technical aspect as well.

alot of us are on soulseek & simular programs.

since about 2000 the days of cd maxi singles are pretty much gone...

so the question rises: how does a 100% cd (or mp3 dj) get their music?

its kinda a moral dilema... If your totally comfortable with downloading music & playing a set of mp3s, more power to ya.

but keep in mind you are screwing your peers & the industry in the long run.

yes, there jocks using alot of cds.... like deepdish.... but I imagine these are CDR from other producers & original productions.

Im sure they dont sit on soulseek downloading tracks...

I think its not a bad tool for someone fresh on the scene to perhaps get some classics that just impossible to get...

I personally use soul seek to get things i cant get my hands on, or to preview tracks..... IVE haD 4 nights a week for almost 3years now & i might play 3-4 ripped tracks a night TOPS.

there is NOTHING wrong with playing cds...the technology has come so far, theres SOOOO much u can do....

But their is something wrong for catching 400.00 a night for playing (less than stellar sounding) mp3 rips that have been swiped & shared for THE ENTIRE DURATION OF THE NIGHT!

so far the last 13 mixed cds that i put out for websites (MAINLY)

and other various outlets for the listeners-

have all been taken VERY well by them

always asking me for more and more

and these ppl are completely about the "new sonuds"

the new tracks and they completely understand what to listen for in the mixing quality-

i will on one hand NEVER use MP3s

theres just something too artificall to me about it-

but ever since my return from the UK

i have not once used vinyl again

in fact

i sold all of it ( that wasnt stolen) when i got back-

now i can go out and do a spot anywhere for an all nighter

and literally bring ALL my music on just two shoulder bags-

what im saying is now i only use cds-

at one point a person asked me with such and inthrawled feel and atitude about them-

"where do you get your vinyl? where can i find this stuff?"

i told him he can go to about any store that sells cds-

u need to know what names to look for

( as with anything else) and make sure to GRAB that and anything else the artist has done on other cds-

most of what i get is compilatin cds-

and to this day

even that person asking me the questions

had NO idea it was all cds

once i did mention to a person " uhh i did that all with cds"

he got mad like i just stole his sole or something-

said his peice about it not being the same

and awaited my reply

i said " so two mins ago it was the greatest thing you heard this year- but now that its comming from cd tracks it different?" explain.

also i replyed that YES it is DIFF doing it with cds-

but theres a point to that

NOT ALL DJS SPINN THE SAME WAY

if they did

we wouldnt want to listen

Originally posted by mindfaqd

In 10 years people will be debating if ur a real dj if u spin w/ minidiscs. Its all the same. Put together a quality set and the crowd won't be asking "Do u think he's spinnin' on vinyl?" They'll remember u for ur set. :D

actually, minidisc decks were out before cd decks became really popular...check out pro sound or crutchfield...they might still have some in stock or some pics...

mini disc is a standard that never really picked up in the US - rite about the same time they came out CR's and CD-R/W dropped off in price and relly left mini discs with no purpose other then being used in a production enviroment (lots a reporters use them to tape interviews, or to tape a live performance, etc.)

Originally posted by jonhenry

i personally love spinnin vinyl...but there is so much stuff out there that just doesnt come out on vinyl or when it does come out its way past its prime.....but vinyl is just so much better to spin with u have more control.....dont think if he gets a large venue ppl will sa anything about him using just cd's, but if u look at the top ranked dj's they use nothing but vinyl

Thats even not true anymore especially for US dj's Tenaglia, for example said he uses %50 cd's in his sets. The vinyl is mainly a symbol of djing, people like to see the two turntables and the records spinning (including myself) but times are changing with the technology. I personally mix it up with both, but if i had to choose I'd keep my cd's cause with the new 9000's with the 5 seperate cue's loops etc justs brings your capabilities to another level..

again... the reason why people like DT & co are using cds are becuase they are cdr from other producers & original work & edits that they have done.

they are not downloading complete sets for a nights work...not hittin the cd maxi-single aisle @ virgin.

Its Tall Paul calling pete tong and goin: "Hey I just finished the new mix, you'll have it tommorow...get it on the show and shop it to a label for me mate" (not literally;) )

preferance wise for a mixing dj, if u can mix on one, you can mix on the other....its not orthropedic surgury. its coke & pepsi.

remember "almost" all of the global/jetset djs are also the dance community's producers... so of course they are goin to rock only the newest joints right from eachothers hands.