other than edm,

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

fine, i'll start things off. . .

lots of hip hip. . .zion i, aceyalone, herbaliser, mr. scruff, dj food, dialated peoples, awol one, emanon, talib kweli, abstract rude, unspoken heard, public enemy (always), tcq, digital underground, old massive attack. . .

the "others" and classics. . .stevie wonder, issac hayes, curtis mayfield, michael jackson, al green, nina simone, david bowie, radiohead, donna summer, grace jones, bob marley, stan getz. . .

outside of clubs/going out, i've been listening to edm less and less. . .

i haven't listened to anything non edm since 97 or 98 when I first heard Oakey's NY GU....

i guess i still listen to the radiosometimes when i'm in a car w/o a CD player, or when the shit on CSPAN is too boring...but that's about it. Most of it is just mindless recycled crap.

Originally posted by tinybutterfli

Well its no secret that I'm a U2 fan :D I pretty much love at least one song in every genre of music.... yes, even hip hop *lol* I just don't want to go to a club to hear it!

Same here - love U2, love a little bit of everything. but if I am going to go clubbing, I dont want to be at PolyEsthers...i want to be some play I can hear dance music :cool:

outside of edm, i listen to mostly indie and alt (old) rock. some bands include spoon, modest mouse, dismemberment plan, q and not u, interpol, neutral milk hotel, rocket from the crypt, jets to brazil, my morning jacket, the mountain goats, pavement, built to spill, the flaming lips, etc. i also dig trip hop/acid jazz stuff like portisehead and massive attack. there's also blues/jazz like nina simone and ella fitzgerald and booker t and the mgs. also singer/songwriters like alana davis and beth orton. there's a bunch of other bands that would take all day to list...

Music seems to suck lately....but nonetheless, still feelin these guys off the top of my head:

Nine Inch Nails

U2

Linkin Park

Metallica (their new album is dog poop sans 1 or 2 songs)

Prodigy

Weezer - still underrated i think

Dave Matthews (in small doses)

Redman, Method Man

Busta

Audioslave

frank sinatra when I need to relax, been listening to some old billy joel on occassion, pretty funny. Some De La, bunch of others, not much edm except for clubs, I don't like it when I'm sitting still on a plane or in a hotel room or even in the car. Only at home or clubs

Originally posted by scratchapella

jenn! :) not very "indie" but have you heard of phantom planet? been into them as of late. . along w/rilo kiley, the used, and makeout date. . .dug up weezer a few days ago too :D

radiohead is timeless

you really can't go wrong with weezer pre-green album.

phantom planet...hmm...isn't that jason swartsman's (sp?) band?

Originally posted by rockyblue

you really can't go wrong with weezer pre-green album.

phantom planet...hmm...isn't that jason swartsman's (sp?) band?

yes, but he left the band recently. . .now it's whatshisname from big city rock. . .i think the lead singer or one of the guitarists played a role in donnie darko too

Originally posted by pixie360

I will always have a soft spot for the beastie boys..especially when dj hurricane was with them...

I also dig classic rock, good to clean house to :D

oh i remember talking to you about the beasties! Ah... memories of the Tibetan Freedom Concert when Tribe & Beasties played back to back! SO GOOD! :D

I wish we'd have a huge summer festival here regularly. There's the HFStival but its always a lineup of bands that have one song that HFS has beaten to death on the airwaves.

Van Morrison - My fav. Beastie boys, RUN DMC, eagle, joe cocker, Jim croce, Miles davis, elton john, prince, John prine, three dog night, lynyrd skynyrd, chicago, air supply, simon and garfunkle, simon and simon, good times, the a team, greatest american hero, facts of life.

oh i remember talking to you about the beasties! Ah... memories of the Tibetan Freedom Concert when Tribe & Beasties played back to back! SO GOOD! :D

I wish we'd have a huge summer festival here regularly. There's the HFStival but its always a lineup of bands that have one song that HFS has beaten to death on the airwaves.

I know, overpriced tickets, overpriced beer and 3000 bands no one gives a sh*t about. Not for me, I like my venues under 25,000 people

Originally posted by pixie360

I know, overpriced tickets, overpriced beer and 3000 bands no one gives a sh*t about. Not for me, I like my venues under 25,000 people

I like smaller venues as well but when a summer festival is done right they can be a lot of fun!

On U2's last tour they played arenas instead of stadiums. It was so much more intimate. I think the smallest venue I saw them in was the Baltimore Arena. I wish I could have seen them play the Bayou but I think I was 4 years old :laugh:

I like smaller venues as well but when a summer festival is done right they can be a lot of fun!

On U2's last tour they played arenas instead of stadiums. It was so much more intimate. I think the smallest venue I saw them in was the Baltimore Arena. I wish I could have seen them play the Bayou but I think I was 4 years old :laugh:

:nopity: