Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who else besides me thinks Nerve's sound system is loud

Bling

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest saleen351

good post michael, however, there is no need for a phazon there.. Lets face it, nerve is not a club, it's a longe that you can dance in. Karma in lauderdale is small and has a tiny system that is crystal clear and so loud that you would never need to drop huge money on a phazon. I think joe b has a great point. Like buying a ferrari and only driving it in a school zone. Whats the point how loud it goes, there is zero need in that lounge to have earth shattering sound. Full cheaper sound would be just fine, and they'd save a bundle on the techs flying down.. Btw, DT was about to quit ARC over the phazon..... And crobars sounds like shit.... Maze is the best, and when nocturnal comes, people are going to say, phazon who???

i actually agree with mr storms - our system is the funk! sometimes its abused by dj's and gets overbearing, this is true but when used properly I dare anyone to find a better clearer sound... phason will always get my props as I think its wicked.. its just going to be my job too make sure its "used not abused"

see you all friday for Lee Burridge

J:D

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by jcbliss

i actually agree with mr storms - our system is the funk! sometimes its abused by dj's and gets overbearing, this is true but when used properly I dare anyone to find a better clearer sound... phason will always get my props as I think its wicked.. its just going to be my job too make sure its "used not abused"

see you all friday for Lee Burridge

J:D

your system is just too over bearing for that size room. I would come to nerve more often, but i don't like yelling the whole night...

1. I have had the pleasure of working with Steve Dash on several occassions. He installed a "Phazon Road System" at Shadow Lounge for Conference a few years ago. I can tell you that Phazon and Steve Dash are first rate. There are few people who know pro audio as well as Dash and anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong.

2. I believe that the system in Nerve was designed by Dash and as such should be appropriate for the room.

3. I've never seen a Phazon system without a limiter including Twilo, Home (London), and Crobar.

4. Last time I was at Nerve it was for Layo & Bushwacka. The sound was terrible. Distorted, over-driven, out-of-tune and painful to the ears. In fact, we left about an hour into L&B's set because of the sound.

5. All the original owners were there and none seemed to notice, much less care. I mentioned it to Storms during the early part of the night and nothing was done. At the time, Demo was on and it was already BAD.

6. Jon, you know how much I respect you and we are friends, but to blame the DJs, even the non-superstar ones, is wrong. The club and it's management are 100% responsible for setting up the system so that anyone can play on it. Limits and levels can be set and the DJ should be instructed as to its proper use.

7. The Rane mixer gives the DJ a lot of control. The DJ has the ability to increase the gain about 20db. That's a lot of room but if the system is tuned to take this into account, there isn't a problem.

8. Nerve has gone through some serious growing pains and seems to be finding its stride. As far as I'm concerned they are booking quality talent and doing good things for the Dance Scene. Fix the system...limit it...monitor it throughout the night...take responsibility. This is an easy problem to fix...fix it and move on to more pressing problems.

Just my humble opinion.

dade

Originally posted by ogmiami

1. I have had the pleasure of working with Steve Dash on several occassions. He installed a "Phazon Road System" at Shadow Lounge for Conference a few years ago. I can tell you that Phazon and Steve Dash are first rate. There are few people who know pro audio as well as Dash and anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong.

2. I believe that the system in Nerve was designed by Dash and as such should be appropriate for the room.

3. I've never seen a Phazon system without a limiter including Twilo, Home (London), and Crobar.

4. Last time I was at Nerve it was for Layo & Bushwacka. The sound was terrible. Distorted, over-driven, out-of-tune and painful to the ears. In fact, we left about an hour into L&B's set because of the sound.

5. All the original owners were there and none seemed to notice, much less care. I mentioned it to Storms during the early part of the night and nothing was done. At the time, Demo was on and it was already BAD.

6. Jon, you know how much I respect you and we are friends, but to blame the DJs, even the non-superstar ones, is wrong. The club and it's management are 100% responsible for setting up the system so that anyone can play on it. Limits and levels can be set and the DJ should be instructed as to its proper use.

7. The Rane mixer gives the DJ a lot of control. The DJ has the ability to increase the gain about 20db. That's a lot of room but if the system is tuned to take this into account, there isn't a problem.

8. Nerve has gone through some serious growing pains and seems to be finding its stride. As far as I'm concerned they are booking quality talent and doing good things for the Dance Scene. Fix the system...limit it...monitor it throughout the night...take responsibility. This is an easy problem to fix...fix it and move on to more pressing problems.

Just my humble opinion.

dade

couldn't agree with you more dade... I will admit that there were some off nights sound wise but the system was tweaked in the past few weeks and sounding wicked in my opinion.. I do hope to see you for Lee Burridge on friday - think you'll make it?

J

It is essential for the system to be on shape for next friday. Lasts visits to Nerve have made my ears hurt...needless to say that the monitors @ the dj booth were blown away.

lets hope Jon and his crew make sure that the sound is PERFECT for that night.

It is the chance for u guys to prove something big to Miami's scene.

Having such a monster and not operating it properly is a shame.

Is Nerve ready for the Tyrant Sounds ?????

We'll be there.....Should be Good.

---------------------------------

i don't agree about the part that i did not do anything about it, but other than that i agree 100%, the bushwacker & layo night was the worst i have ever herd any sound system anywhere - fact is they were more tweaked than 500 computer techs stuck in a room, i asked them nicely no less than 500 times to adjust the system, i even went up to the booth 50 times and set the system myself, bottom line is they just were not having it, the more they tweaked the more the sound tweeked....i should have pulled an L.P and just pulled them off the tables, but i did not want to rock the boat, you i know it was a cool junkie thing, and i did not want to hear all the bros, dudes and mates complain .... 100% my bad.............

other than that the phazon sound system is one of the most pleasant sound systems to listen to when it is played properly, it has full coverage and deep base, while allowing people to speak freely at the bar at a normal tone................bottom line is the powers at be really just don't know how to use it and i am really sorry, maybe the correct thing to do is to get a much smaller rig with a cross fader and some limiters, hey maybe even throw some indoor /outdoor speakers in the place, in case anyone throws a drink at the speakers, this way know one can blame dash for that.............

also it did not help that the speakers were moved and the extensions were taken off, they were set that way for a reason and its not like there is not PLENTY OF EMPTY SPACE ON THE DANCE FLOOR........anyway again its not worth arguing about, you guys are 100% correct, guys like storms, dash, dade, roman ricardo, sotoshi , morales, little Louie, digweed etc. and 100s more people in the biz, we all know nothing right?

So just keep up the good work, your real leaders and pioneers in the dance music scene......................

Originally posted by nerveguy

YOU CAN THANK OUR EX PARTER STORMS FOR THAT ABORTION, I ALSO WOULD HAVE LIKED A NICE SMALLER FULLER SYSTEM. OH WELL MAYBE SOON.

hey i noticed on the website how your praising the DJ booth and the phazon sound system - sounds pretty hypocritical to me don't you think.........i noticed the "about us" seems to be really well written and a great explanation of what the club is (ON THE NERVE WEBSITE) , and i was just about to give you guys props for doing something RIGHT and than i dawned on me as i looked threw my hard drive and found the text - I WROTE IT.........GUYS COME ON, CAN YOU PLEASE ATTEMPT TO DO ONE THING YOURSELF OR IS IT JUST BITE BITE, BITE, ALL DAY LONG...........BITE, COPY, STEAL.......ITS GETTING OLD.......get an original idea or buy a Vowel or something

DJSS

Comparing a sound system with no limiter to a race car with no brakes is quite rediculous. It would be more like a race car with no rev limiter. I've seen plenty of race drivers blow up engines but wouldn't dare say they don't know what they are doing. If only DJ would both to learn about the tools of their trade and know how far a system could be pushed, there would be no need for sound degrading limiters. Being a DJ myself for the past 20 years and a sound engineer for the past 15, I know I would much rather play on system without a limiter killing the dynamic range of the music. Having seen and heard the Nerve system it is quite big but maybe they did this so that they had plent of headroom and not need limiting. Who is Dan from Chicago?

Who is Dan from Chicago?

exactly, ..........dan is from Chicago and had originally put in some Funktion One stuff in Lola........he had absolutely nothing to do with the nerve install and as usual its just another inaccurate post from another cp. member (Joe budiuos, i believe)

anyway hope this answers your question

I don't get this...

MOST DJ's are NOT SOUND ENGINEERS...

Any many DJs, even the top pros, like to induldge while mixing (gasp! :eek: ), they're party people like us.

Just set the master eq to a top range, and then tone down the mixer from there. It shouldn't mess with the dynamic range, but it will prevent distortion from the mixer pushing too much to the speakers.

Simple analogy, hook up you TV to you amp, set the max volume on the TV and adjust the amp to a max tolerable level. Then turn down the TV and let granny play with the TV volume...

Or let every DJ think they're God in the booth and that their music must be LOOOUD and have it sound like crap...

Music was definately too loud last night. I love nerve and the lineups it brings but its gotta figure out what it wants to be a lounge or a small club. I'd preferably see it as a lounge with the same music of course. Turn the volume a lil lower, brighten it up just a bit the lighting last night was not good, and fix the ac. Think it could work better that way as right now its in between both a lounge and a small club and the confusion shows.

Originally posted by shroomy

Yep, still too loud, especially the highs.

And the lighting last night put me into seziures... no that wasnt me break dancing ;)

strobe lights should have a 5 second time limit.

and def a shitty night to lose one of their ac units :(

AGREED! I THINK MY EARS WERE BLEEDING THE MINUTE I WALKED INTO THE CLUB!!! BUT STILL A GREAT TIME. THIS TRANCEHEAD HAD A GREAT HOUSE NIGHT! :D

I THINK I SWEAT OFF ABOUT 10LBS!!!:tongue:

Originally posted by clubspaceguy

i have trouble hearing i just woke up its 330 pm the nerve sound system is still too loud. lol crazyc, houze kitty and lilliz77 all agreed with me last nite :)

Hey BlingBling!

I do agree with you however, please do not speak for me!

Much Love,

CrzyC

Originally posted by livin42nite

Music was definately too loud last night. I love nerve and the lineups it brings but its gotta figure out what it wants to be a lounge or a small club. I'd preferably see it as a lounge with the same music of course. Turn the volume a lil lower, brighten it up just a bit the lighting last night was not good, and fix the ac. Think it could work better that way as right now its in between both a lounge and a small club and the confusion shows.

I disagree, the whole lounge concept has been done to death like "ooo look at me I'm so sexy and sophisticated sipping my martini", I'd prefer it as a nasty little dingy underground club, and I believe that was the original concept, so they need to get rid of all those couches in the middle, they suck, and keep the lighting on the dark side, I think they spent too much on lights, the strobe effect is bad ass, however they over did it last night way too much