Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The rise and fall of MCCXXIII/Spank

dcsocialdiva

Which DC nightclubs rule your nights?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which DC nightclubs rule your nights?

• Nation
    • Five
    • Mie N Yu
    • Red
    • Andalu
    • 18th Street Lounge

HOT OR HYPE: Want the skinny on DC's clubs? We've go a few opinions here, other than those listed on the DC Social Insider.com Dance page, and we're not being that sweet about it. Get the real 411 on dc's nightclubs. New reviews every month starting in Sept, 2003.

MCCXXIII/SPANK (1223) 1223 Connecticut Ave NW Washington, DC 202-293-1850 Alas, one of Washington's hottest nightspots has deteriorated into a nightmare .

It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. Actually... it is the worst. Tourists and newbies continue to visit MCCXXIII/Spank for its name and its outdated reputation as "the place to go,†but what once was unrivaled in DC’s distinctive club scene is now tired and dingy, lifelessly holding on to its glory days. The VIP's and avant-garde elite no longer fill the club once vibrant with cosmopolitan intensity, where self-styled intellectuals and fashionistas converged within its walls and "beds".

Once upon a time, a trip to its secured upper floors was like a night in Ibiza, alas due to feebleminded doormen, inept concierge/hostesses, oh-so-painfully-slow waitresses, and notably high prices MCCXXIII/Spank is a mere shadow of her former self. The club is now mediocre at best, hostile, crass and appalling at worst.

Club-squatters in worn-out clothing and discouraged nightlife denizens wander around aimlessly in front, while the doormen look vacantly around, listlessly standing nearby with much ado about nothing as if willfully ignorant of the march of time. Add to that the vapid and dull hostess and things just don't get better. Once inside, relief in the form of a beverage can be as remote as water in the Sahara. Thirsty? Count on staying that way... more online at www.dcsocialinsider.com

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I love your screen name.

Secondly, you are correct, I should have qualified the original statement better by saying that it "felt" like a night in Ibiza. Afterall, when it first opened in 1998 that how we were perceiving it - new, exotic, exciting, liberating and very fashionable; especially to someone in their early twenties. The whole city was alive with colour , movement and energy. The Dot com's were blasting through the ceiling on Wall Street, Clinton had not yet had the Lewinsky scandel and MCCXXIII came on the scene. Such a place hadn't really been seen on Connecticut or in downtown.

Now don't get me wrong, Washington is still very much alive with exhilaration and passion, fresh faces and ideas, culture and colour; however, 1223 is not.

Admittedly, they now have a well done website and great promoters who currently bring in some big celebrity names, but that does not make up for the souless nature the club now possesses. Review after review, and posting after posting - all over the web MCCXXIII has been getting rated by the public and those ratings continue to spiral downword. Our subscribers have emailed us time and time again, that our previous review needed to be updated and now it has.

On another note, we've never received or heard of any complaints from our subscribers or others about the music or DJ's, just the rest of the staff.

I really hope they do something to turn that negative image around soon, it would be a pleasure to hear something positive again about a place I once enjoyed so much.

Well it's not even that I don't agree with you that 1223 has declined. I didn't live in DC until 2000 but even then it was definitely different. I'd say it suffers from the same problem as any club that gets a reputation for being "the place to go" - everyone tells everyone else then all of a sudden everyone else gets let in and it's just not quite what it was when there was a crowd that worked really nicely together.

And that doesn't happen just at the upscale nightclubs either. Some people on the board may disagree with me but it happened at Vinyl in New York also, which was for a long time the best friday night party music wise and crowd wise, but as more and more people heard about it, it got far less underground and now it's totally guido-ed out, Danny T is on the mic telling people to stop fucking up every two seconds, and that flow that the night had isn't quite there.

As for this:

Now don't get me wrong, Washington is still very much alive with exhilaration and passion, fresh faces and ideas, culture and colour; however, 1223 is not.

I'm not really sure.. while you're right about 1223... and I feel like the scene is still doing still doing alright... I can't decide if it was better before or after I moved to Italy. Five has excellent nights, saw a great DJ there last night, and there are some others that do nicely, but I'm hoping that the return of Buzzlife to DC will pick things up a little.

while i welcome the unkind words towards 1223, Vixen has a great point. I could give two shits about the bouncers, bartenders, and "out dated" apparell. What makes a decent night is the music. Fuck Spank. But if I saw Saeed and Palash spin a nice set and could make a little room to dance, I'd have a great time.

Nation and Five (Fridays) lack all of that uppity nonsense you lament. But the vibe is great, the people (for the most part) are there for the music, and they have quality DJs who take the art and their performance seriously.

That should be the standard bearer for a great club night.

This thread has been very enlightening, intelligent and thought provoking. You've inspired me to research the local music scene even more thoroughly. I want to thank you for the fresh perspective on our area's nightlife, sometimes we, as humans, tend to stick with what we know and fail to expand our perceptions of what is hot now. On that note, you've given me an epiphany.

We're currently working on new content: DC's Top Ten Promoters, I think DC's Top Ten DJ's would really work with that...hot, hot hot.

Let me know your thoughts on the ideas and if you have some DJ suggestions (nights and location) for us to check out and include. It's time for some fresh ideas and content; thank you for the awakening :funny:

Hey Diva, check your email - I sent one through the address on your website :)

As far as DJs to check out goes - keep looking at this board. Nietzsche (aka Revaluation), Buster, Ray Kang, Kuro, Sung, and many others on this board are great DJ's and play at various clubs around the area. They usually post threads when they have an event lined up. As you'll see in the email, I also DJ and would be happy to talk to you about the female front if you'd like.

Thanks for taking an interest in the scene - I think it's really important that people like you are willing to get a perspective on how the DJ/music scene is, and then share what you find with the general public. That sort of thing, I feel, is what will help bring so much hidden talent to the spotlight where it belongs :)

FunkyFresh - you certainly found some pics, naughty me :D

Vixen - thanks again. I'll check my inbox and start prowling the music scene this week. I've been to Red, Five, Nation, Modern and a ton of other places, but I will be much more in tune with the music and DJ's this time around. I really appreciate your input and will be sure to check out everyone you recommended, including yourself. I'll have to bring some friends to get the real feel :)

Thanks again.

I'm not sure there has been a complete halt to DC's nightlife. It just seems as if we're waiting for something incredible - and the anticipation seems to go on and on.

I think things started to get a little iffy after a series of events in the area over the past few years put a damper on things - but not for long :)

With the crash of the Internet boom, September 11 and the sniper - things just got wierd for us.

Originally posted by teriaki

no man. the upstairs is a nightclub. the upper floors are like a night in Ibiza.

must be a magical experience. . . either that or you got really fucked up when you were there. :D

i didn't know they had music upstairs . . . is it of the salsa and merengue and house and international and techno/trance and old skool variety :confused:

Originally posted by tinybutterfli

someone told me people walk around with trays of chocolate and you can have the candy for free! I'm sold. Plus I hear the food there is really good! :)

yeah, the food is pretty good. i'd go back for the food, dunno about the music selection upstairs.