Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Avalon's BAD Reviews

It's so funny that several weeks ago everybody was posting on here about how Avalon was going to rule the clubs and wipe the floor of Spirit and Crobar. and how they were so professional that they bought the space and opened before everybody else.

Well I bet you're all eating your words now.

From my and other people's experiences so far, Avalon has done nothing but caused bad reviews.

FYI the space is exactly the same as it was when Estate did all those renovations. Avalon did NOTHING to this space except make half the dancefloor a VIP bottle service area.

The marketing and promotion for this club is all wrong!

Wrong DJ's on wrong nights promoted to the wrong crowd.

Ridiculous door policy that is obviously not working.

Terrible customer relations and not the slightest idea of what SERVICE means.

Ripping people off for bottles and then threatening to throw them out for complaining.

Most big name DJ's have complained about the booth, the system, the sound and the set up.

Not suspending turntables, No crossover or crossfader.

I mean com on! this club is yet another failed attempt at trying to revamp an old and now very tired space. RIP Limelight.

Trying to make it all chi chi and charging ridiculous prices is a receipe for disaster.

I honestly predict that Avalon will be out of business in less than 6 months, unless they try to cater to the very crowds that will keep it open.

Forget the CHI CHI CRAP and get back to entertaining the REAL CLUB PEOPLE!

I'm outta here.................

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by john62

Most big name DJ's have complained about the booth, the system, the sound and the set up.

Not suspending turntables, No crossover or crossfader.

And you heard this from?????

Floating Turntables are one thing...

Most Rotary DJ Mixers don't have a crossfader anyway. Urei, Bozak, Allen & Heath, only the Rane with the XP unit have one.

Do you know what a crossover is? Some clubs leave a 3 band crossover (or Isolator) above the DJ Mixer so the DJ can cut out the Bass, Mids or Treble over the whole system.... Most times this is already built into the mixer anyway so rarely appears. Arc has one because they have a Custom Built Steve Dash/Phazon mixer.

A normal crossover is used in the processing of the sound system and is usually not found in the DJ booth.

Were is Shorty when we need an explination

Originally posted by mattm2o

And you heard this from?????

Floating Turntables are one thing...

Most Rotary DJ Mixers don't have a crossfader anyway. Urei, Bozak, Allen & Heath, only the Rane with the XP unit have one.

Do you know what a crossover is? Some clubs leave a 3 band crossover (or Isolator) above the DJ Mixer so the DJ can cut out the Bass, Mids or Treble over the whole system.... Most times this is already built into the mixer anyway so rarely appears. Arc has one because they have a Custom Built Steve Dash/Phazon mixer.

A normal crossover is used in the processing of the sound system and is usually not found in the DJ booth.

Were is Shorty when we need an explination

Actually I heard this from several reviews posted on this and other sites.

My point being however that everyone from clubbers to DJ's dont have good things to say about this club.

Some of the DJ's that have played there already are friends of mine and they have no desire to return.

Shorty is also a good friend of mine

dj's really are not intrested in the space at all,

AND THATS NOT A GOOD THING, esp when 2 rooms twice the size are opening 8 blocks away, lol

one thing i have said, is the stage, should not be a bottle service VIP Area, that is just soooooo STUPID, isent that what the back room is for? WTF? why cut up a legendary dance floor, and make it MORE SMALLER, its not like pulling out the balconies 6 more feet, and adding chairs around it, dont make it smaller enough, lets! rope off the stage to!!

FUCK AVALON,

and im not alone in saying this, they need to change,

Ny is sick of the bottle service,

WE WANT A SICK DANCE FLOOR THATS DARK DIRTY N DEAP

bottle service and DANCE CLUB

SHOULD NEVER GO TOGETHER

oh, and there staff is rude, and fucking clue-less on how to run a fucking club, LOL

olympia>

well, with that all said im glad i didnt waste my money to go there.

but for real, why don't you write a letter to the owner or whoever and tell him this stuff? i mean complaining about it here on this board probably won't get a lot accomplished because i doubt the people "in charge" or with money to be opening these clubs are here reading your posts. i'm being serious: write a letter. you may think its a stupid idea, but it gives u a better chance to be heard.

it really is a joke....

and this is coming from somone who has been involved in the NY club scene since the mid 80's

THey had everything handed to them....

a designed club.... they did no work except a few touches here n there, new lights and a new system......

and they couldnt even do that right,

i know the booker who does the booking there, and they allready have been black listed by certain dj's. who were annoyed with the staff and eqp.

i hope managment gets there shit together, and gets this bottle service shit GONE, if u want bottle service. then take a part of the balconiy, and the sky box, and keep that for the bottle people, the rest of the club u should be free to check out, and go on advenutres looking around,

THE STAGE SET UP is a FUCKING JOKE,

it takes up half the dance floor!

maybe in time avalon will kill the stage thing, and make it about the music, and not the bottles u buy......

At this point, id rather see this building a fucking museum, then a shity club, that dosent really know what it is

Originally posted by jaysea

it really is a joke....

and this is coming from somone who has been involved in the NY club scene since the mid 80's

THey had everything handed to them....

a designed club.... they did no work except a few touches here n there, new lights and a new system......

and they couldnt even do that right,

i know the booker who does the booking there, and they allready have been black listed by certain dj's. who were annoyed with the staff and eqp.

i hope managment gets there shit together, and gets this bottle service shit GONE, if u want bottle service. then take a part of the balconiy, and the sky box, and keep that for the bottle people, the rest of the club u should be free to check out, and go on advenutres looking around,

THE STAGE SET UP is a FUCKING JOKE,

it takes up half the dance floor!

maybe in time avalon will kill the stage thing, and make it about the music, and not the bottles u buy......

At this point, id rather see this building a fucking museum, then a shity club, that dosent really know what it is

Oh and if you thought that the owners/bookers/promoters are not reading these posts, think again.

I guarantee you they reaqd this and even if they dont, they are told by employees about the comments on this and other boards.

More importantly the Club Planet members as well as naughtybooth, EZ, NCC and others represent the VERY people that Avalon should be trying to market too.

The Chi Chi crowd dont give a FUCK about the club as long as for the first 6 weeks of it being the hottest new place, they can get a table and a bottle to look all important.

trust me after about 6 weeks they will be moving on to Spirit or Crobar or Dream and any number of new places that have a special place for the bottle crowd. And it wont be on the main floor stage area.

Avalon can be shut down as quickly as it opened. Thats why Estate didn't even last 3 months. It's why Powder didn't last 2 months. Because the owners had this misconception that people wanting $300 bottles of Vodka would keep them alive. Well it didn't and for any club to try that stupidity again is asking for failure.

We have the power to make or break ANY venue in the city simply bt boycotting it. Just see how quickly the door policy changes when they get desperate.

Very well said........

is 3-4 weeks time, either u will see the change in door/and bottle service, or you will see a new party come up, with a music friendly twist, but by then ,so many of us will have talked it to shit, they probally wont last, lol

i predict its padlooked by ............hmmmmm

DECEMBER....

wanna take Bet's?

oly>

Very well said........

is 3-4 weeks time, either u will see the change in door/and bottle service, or you will see a new party come up, with a music friendly twist, but by then ,so many of us will have talked it to shit, they probally wont last, lol

i predict its padlooked by ............hmmmmm

DECEMBER....

wanna take Bet's?

oly>

I think they will do what Powder did. Fuck up their New Year's Eve party with a regular club crowd but charging A list prices and not letting anyone sit down unless they book a $1000 table then be closed after nobody goes back in January.

Remember all the reviews of Powder last New Year's and by Jan 2nd it was CLOSED!

I personally know good friends that work at Crobar and they have a VIP especially for the Bottle crowd. However the main room and longes will be for the club crowd. The can sit where they like and hear some of the worlds best DJ's in a Steve Dash designed booth.

I have great hopes that Crobar will do what the others seem to not have any clue about.

alot of owners design these area's for the people who wanna buy 600 bottles n shit, but dont realize that 80% of the club is regualr people.....id love to see a VIP section for music lover's..

much like how shelter is, but on a scale of crobar....

Esp since the body n soul crew are doing a night at crobar...

:)

i dont know, i hope avalon would of done it right, LOL

i forgot this is NY, lol sorry

Originally posted by slightofhand

jaysea, who do you define as the body n soul crew?

John Davis will most likely have control of Sunday Afternoon's at Crobar possibly beginning in the New Year.

We have also offered John the space for a possible Body & SOUL Reunion party in the near future.

Sunday party will not begin till after the New Year however.

Ding ding ding

i was told, there looking into doing something on a side room

and i think its a great step! in a good direction!

B&S would be offered the main room and any Sunday afternoon party would also be in the main room.

I completely agree. When I first went to Avalon I was not happy with what was done there, it was an overt commercialization of Limelight – w/ big twist of cheese.

A hip-hop room, 80’s room like 7 vips, and everyone is right about the stage being absurd as a VIP area too… please. The system did not fill that space right and the crowd was not a musically educated crowd. Not to mention the people they hired to dress up as club kids and look like they were hanging out there b/c it's still the hot party from that era.

I have no complaints about the staff, they seemed fine. But the club is not geared towards a music crowd and that is what NYC is really all about. When our scene got out of control it was first b/c we went and loved the music and the dark-side of NYC and THAT is what made these places the places to be.

To Crobar and Spirit: Attract us first. Get us excited. If we are in a frenzy then others will come with us and be drawn into it the way we were drawn into it…..because we are the ones that will come back for a long time to come. Avalon put the cart before the horse.

I await the meat-packing district’s revival!!!!!

(nothing like going to a club that’s down a fucking dark, fucked up side block off the West Side Highway and coming out in the morning like “huh?”)

Originally posted by bassboy

I completely agree. When I first went to Avalon I was not happy with what was done there, it was an overt commercialization of Limelight – w/ big twist of cheese.

A hip-hop room, 80’s room like 7 vips, and everyone is right about the stage being absurd as a VIP area too… please. The system did not fill that space right and the crowd was not a musically educated crowd. Not to mention the people they hired to dress up as club kids and look like they were hanging out there b/c it's still the hot party from that era.

I have no complaints about the staff, they seemed fine. But the club is not geared towards a music crowd and that is what NYC is really all about. When our scene got out of control it was first b/c we went and loved the music and the dark-side of NYC and THAT is what made these places the places to be.

To Crobar and Spirit: Attract us first. Get us excited. If we are in a frenzy then others will come with us and be drawn into it the way we were drawn into it…..because we are the ones that will come back for a long time to come. Avalon put the cart before the horse.

I await the meat-packing district’s revival!!!!!

(nothing like going to a club that’s down a fucking dark, fucked up side block off the West Side Highway and coming out in the morning like “huh?”)

aahhhhh the nostalgia! keep talkin!

:blown:

I agree with everyone. They are dooming that place with all their bullshit. I swear when I went, there were 5 roped off VIP areas, including the stage. The third floor wasn't even open. Thats rediculous. I don't know what the fuck those idiots are trying to do with that place, but they better get it straightened out by the time Ferry Corsten is in town.

It really makes no sense bc usually, the people that are going somewhere to sit at a table and buy bottles, doesnt care much about who is spinning, or really partying that much, thats just the way it seems from my past experience. So why would they cater to that type of crowd if they are gona put up the money for all these big dj's, if half the crowd could care less if a big name is spinning or just some local dj that costs alot less. It just doesnt make any sense to me.

It really makes no sense bc usually, the people that are going somewhere to sit at a table and buy bottles, doesnt care much about who is spinning, or really partying that much, thats just the way it seems from my past experience. So why would they cater to that type of crowd if they are gona put up the money for all these big dj's, if half the crowd could care less if a big name is spinning or just some local dj that costs alot less. It just doesnt make any sense to me.