Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Did anyone see DJ Dan @ Nerve?

ogmiami

One more thing philippio: Music is as subjective as art or food. you can't expect the clubs to be packed with experts on music. At least the trance lovers write about what they saw, even if it's not as articulate as you may want it to be. You know who really don't get it, is the supposed house fans !, again where was everybody for Mauricio Aviles, Roger Sanchez at Nerve, King Britt, Marques Wyatt, Quivver (for a harder house), Tom Stephan (for more tribal) Charles Feelgood. Where were all the "house music experts" ? most of the people I spoke to at those shows either stumbled in there or where from out of town ! Anyways, I write reviews as a side thing, i really go to enjoy the music, and Traceheads DO just that. Finally, you want names, here are my favorites:

Danny T., Sergio Patricio, Xavi VII, Mauricio Aviles, Professor Angeldust, Pelucas, Tania Vulcano, Jose De Divina, Jonathan Ulysses, Francesco Farfa, Roger S., Baby Hec Romero, and for techno Sven Vath, pascal F.E.O.S. and Ritchie Hawtin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nerve is doing quite well actually 4 nights a week.. dunno where you get your info from saleen but we're right where we should be.. maybe if you come to miami and not just complain about it you would actually know what you talk about... wasn't this topic about dj dan??? just wondering.... :confused:

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by jcmia

Crobar is not a club ? Crobar is one of the nicest clubs world wide !, saleen, don't even compare crobar to anything in NYC or even worse jersey shoreline. There are plenty of new Yorkers that consider Cropbar one of the best in the NATION !.

please go get drug tested......

I'm 25. I've been going clubbing since I was 14 (in Greece).

If I were to open a club (not that I have even considered it), Miami would be one of the last places I'd consider! It would be stupid for me to close Space. Why close down a cash cow that provides so many jobs to locals and attracts the populace of our great City based solely on hype of big name dj's and false advertising? Space or 34 or whatever, is capable of closing itself down much better! Have you not yet understood that the future of what you yourself called "the serious music scene", lies in the hands of talented UNDERGROUND dj's (locals and otherwise)? If you are proudly boasting about your pioneering efforts, have you thought about how much easier and less expensive it is to bring in a dj who knows music and can rock a dancefloor (a real one, not some stupid-ass concrete monstrosity on top of a warehouse). I have a question for you...

What "serious music scene" are you proud to have pioneered in Miami???

I do not believe that all the clubs he named will close. And I definitely am one of those who will go to Crobar if I have been informed that a great party will happen. I go to Backdoor Bamby quite often because everyone is really friendly and I love the mix of house and sleazy electro. Crobar is one of my favorite clubs. Saleen, if you don't think it's a club, I respect your opinion, but explain why you think it isn't a club.

JCbliss, I wouldn't say that Nerve is doing better than when it opened. I don't know about tuesdays or saturdays but fridays are getting a bit weak. I can't really say that I care for Ariel Baund's opening sets, especially not the one he did for DJ Dan. It was just too repetitive. Stick with Oscar Fonseca. He's much better IMO. My interest last friday was lost after about 45 minutes of Ariel's warm-up. As a result, my friends (some of who also expected DJ Dan to play better) and I left at 2:30 ish. That's when the crowd started getting thin. Sundays are a great party. I'm not very keen on Stephan Luke but Amalia never disappoints and Cue works the crowd religiously every sunday.

Dude, have you heard of Zanzibar? An extremely influential club in New Jersey that for some years was the home of Tony Humphries??? Stop your fucking Jersey bashing!!! Many pioneers of real house music had graced Zanzibar's decks (among them: Cevin Fisher, MAW, Tedd Patterson, Francois K.).

Phillippio:

well then maybe they should stop Euro bashing and Miami bashing. Lots of influential DJ's started out in Miami too including Danny T, Jr.V, Oscar G (who believe or not is very influential outside Miami as well). I don't see a flock of people from around the world flocking to NJ. Worlwide I've heard more talk about Miami than NJ, so cut the bullshit, I've been clubbing since I was 14 as well ! and I'm 32. stop bashing Trance too !, personally, I can't handle it for a long time but it's a valid form of electronica !

Originally posted by ogmiami

I've been in the club business for a long time and had a huge part in pioneering the serious music scene here in Miami. The truth is that most people who go out on a Saturday night don't know shit about Dance Music. All they want is some fun. What you fail to understand is that clubs exist for everyone's enjoyment, not just the musically educated. I've done every show from the biggest of names to the super talented guy who has never had a gig and I can tell you that there is always someone who loves it and always someone who hates it....is one of them right?

I somewhat agree with you Dade.

But I do see a real problem here. It ain't attacking a clubber for liking something different from what one likes. The problem is giving to a "clueless" clubber a product to consume that could be better. And cheaper most of the time.

Going out to have fun on a Saturday nite and having fun ain't mutually exclusive. If the music that moves a dancefloor is quality and makes your guests have a good time and leave $$$ at the door and bar, then you have accomplished the objevtive of promoting quality music.

The misperception that a clubber who isn't a connoisseur of music will consume whatever is given is the key here. Quality music can move a dancefloor.

Furtheremore, I do see the wrong elements constantly being presented in people like Saleen. You need classics, aka ANTHEMS, to move a crowd? No way Jose.

Do you need a horn, used in excess as a trucker, to incentivate or raise your crowd during a mix?? ... NO. But many DJs use it. Without any disrespect for those who use it, search for your choons and mixed them properly to give the crowd the same reaction.

Last, our scene today is dictated by what we offer today. The old latin proverb ... "of giving the masses bread and circus" is wrong. Politicians do it. Leaders in every single industry do it. Today, with communication tools that put us all closer, as is this forum, you can reach more objectively a broader base. And in real time. Times have changed, and it falls upon a responsible leader to educate. Quality is fun.

Phil, Phil, Phil...

OGMiami has brought most of the quality DJs of the world into Miami. Trance, house, breaks....off the top of my head, he's booked (at various venues, including his own Shadow Lounge):

Sasha

John Digweed

BT

Hybrid

Adam Freeland

Yousef (yes, he helped set up that! You were standing about a foot away from him that night...)

Charles Feelgood

Bad Boy Bill

Judge Jules

Tall Paul

Humate

Lo-Fidelity Allstars

Infected Mushroom

Danny Tenaglia

Danny Howells

Talla

Taucher

Paul Van Dyk

Slacker

Dave Ralph

Union Jack

Sandra Collins

and a helluva lot more...

Well said Marco! It definitely doesn't take a night of anthemic tracks to move a crowd! And it definitely doesn't take a big name dj! It takes quality. When more promoters in this City realize what you already know, the scene will improve because you guys will hopefully think harder and look closer at the never-ending list of dj's that span the globe to provide more quality. In my opinion, Luna has got the right formula for success at this moment. And for the music connoisseurs, quality is not just fun, it's paramount!

Eric, as thephoenix said, I was djing at a friend's house party. I thought I had told you on wednesday. Maybe I forgot. I did read the raving reviews about you and Oscar Fonseca. Sorry I missed it. But I can't say I didn't have a great time at the party that I dj'ed. The eAst-sIDe mIsFitS know what I mean (raincrysobe and thephoenix)!

Pod, I see a long list of dj's (all flashy) some of which I like (I give him props for DT and Charles Feelgood and Yousef) and others which I'm really tired of (S+D, Taucher, Slacker, Howells and the rest). Does that mean I'm not allowed to argue with OGmiami and voice my opinion? ANd one more thing, IMO, introductions at Oxygen that night were a bit weak. I was only introduced to Craig Demo, Yousef, Danny (digital7) and I already knew you.

Add to that list...

Dave Ralph who could not get a gig in America at all when I gave him a residency.

Way Out West's first US live gig

Breeder's first US gig

Quivver's first Miami gig

and many more who nobody ever heard of before I gave them a shot.

Thanks, Pod......I was going to respond but it really would not matter. Guys like that think they know it all and have very little respect for the opinions of people actually working to make the scene better.

Phillip, if you don't like what is being done around town, grab your balls and promote a party with the type of music you like. Put your money where your mouth is.

We, (the people in the business of putting on these events), also have individual tastes in music. The thing is that we have to appeal to a broad audience. Nerve is a great example of what happens when you appeal to just the musically educated...great music and a thin crowd of people who expect to get in free and spend $20 a piece. That doesn't make for a very good business.

When Nocturnal opens we will be very musically diverse and will dive into new sounds and talent. I believe it's essential to grow the scene. We will also give the masses what they want.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by philippio

I do not believe that all the clubs he named will close. And I definitely am one of those who will go to Crobar if I have been informed that a great party will happen. I go to Backdoor Bamby quite often because everyone is really friendly and I love the mix of house and sleazy electro. Crobar is one of my favorite clubs. Saleen, if you don't think it's a club, I respect your opinion, but explain why you think it isn't a club.

JCbliss, I wouldn't say that Nerve is doing better than when it opened. I don't know about tuesdays or saturdays but fridays are getting a bit weak. I can't really say that I care for Ariel Baund's opening sets, especially not the one he did for DJ Dan. It was just too repetitive. Stick with Oscar Fonseca. He's much better IMO. My interest last friday was lost after about 45 minutes of Ariel's warm-up. As a result, my friends (some of who also expected DJ Dan to play better) and I left at 2:30 ish. That's when the crowd started getting thin. Sundays are a great party. I'm not very keen on Stephan Luke but Amalia never disappoints and Cue works the crowd religiously every sunday.

when saleen sez a club will close, A CLUB WILL CLOSE;) or not play house...

i dont see anything wrong with Phillip having an opinion..

He also respects others opinions...which makes him a good debater.

For Dade to say his opinion doesnt matter is vane...maybe Phillip just didnt know about who you brought here, Dade...

Phillip has never said he knows it all...

and he promotes the parties he likes here...maybe not with money backing but with word of mouth...

for you guys to jump down his throat is being hypocrtical...since you are doing just what you are critizing him for doing...having an opinion.

Originally posted by ogmiami

When Nocturnal opens we will be very musically diverse and will dive into new sounds and talent. I believe it's essential to grow the scene. We will also give the masses what they want.

can't wait, hopefully positive vibes will win out there, great sound + sushi! what more could you ask for? :) some good dj's too! (where can I send a demo?)

Cut the shit saleen!

Thanks Chaz!

OGmiami, like I said, I don't think I'd want to put my money in the promoting business, at least not in Miami. The music I like is not represented here and it would be a feat in itself trying to get people hooked on it. You were at Yousef. You saw what happened. The man came all the way from Liverpool and played a really funky set which I really liked. I counted no less than six people going up to the booth asking for hip-hop. The next night he played Avalon with Joeski & Onionz. A very close friend and west coast house aficionado said they rocked!!! Nothing short of amazing and the crowd was hopping. Like thephoenix said, I only promote parties by word of mouth and on this board. I will say to you what I have said to others: I sincerely apologize for being somewhat of a house connoisseur. I realize now that many promoters in the Miami scene do not like that some clubgoers are more informed than the general public because it means they have to go through the trouble of looking for quality. Such a hard task for a scene that's so deeply rooted in $$$. I do not think I know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. IMO, I know enough to be able to avoid cheese and mainstream dance parties. In addition, I'd rather dj than promote. I do not consider myself good enough to play a big venue.

OK.....

I never said that Phillip's opinion was not valid. I am glad he has one and is willing to express it. Believe me when I say I am the least vane person you'll ever meet. Any of the Cp people who know me will tell you that I care more for the scene than anyone, I have brought tons of quality artists to Miami even when it meant losing money to do it, I have never told anyone their opinion was less than mine.

What I object to is the attitude that is inherent in his posts which says, "I know more about music than you clueless people" or "Me and my friends from europe think everything here is shit." Read his posts regarding Space34 and you'll see what I mean. This topic started when he attacked people for writing positive reviews and calling them "sheep". If someone loves Edgar V and has an amazing time whenever they hear him play, does that make their review any less valid? For some reason it does to Phillip.

Here are some quotes that bothered me and prompted me to get into the discussion:

Unfortunately, we made the mistake of going to Crobar not knowing that Edgar V. was there. Upstairs it was hip-hop. The tables were covered and the guy was a wannabe dj fade mixing on CDJ's! LAME!!!

Unfortunately, I could say the same for downstairs. Edgar V's tables were closed and he was also using only cd's!!! WTF???

As I was standing there completely unmoved by the noise emanating from Crobar's speakers, all I could think was... I will need to schedule a dentist appointment first thing in the morning!!!

SUCH CHEESE!!!

It was like Edgar V's tummy finally exploded and velveeta splattered all over the main room!!!

Where's the respect in that post? Can't you say that Edgar was not doing it for you without being disrespectful? By the way, you could have read the marquee and seen that Edgar was there before going in. Also, does playing from CDs make the music less good?

But when everybody posts that this dj X was so great and that dj Y was so great after every single set they play it makes me sick. Miami should stop fixating on a few local circuit dj's and their silly adventures in clubland.

Because Phillip says so and that's that!

Please stop the countless raving reviews about dj's who do not deserve all that hype and be honest enough to place the compliments on the true dj's that actually deserve them!

I guess we can assume that you mean you, Phillip.

I'm just tired of the wanna-be DJs who think they have all the answers ranting about how everything sucks and they know how to do it better and putting down the guys who are working....while they are DJing at someone's house.

well, I would have to agree that Crobar was BAD that night...

and he chose to say it in his way.

the fact he was at a house party spinnning on sat is irrelevant...and thus you are demeaning him as he demeaned Edgar V. so what, an eye for an eye? Do as I say, not as I do?

Maybe if you had taken the high road, I might have agreed with you...but...

and he NEVER said he was a great DJ (but i think he is really good)...he said he could not handle a big club...he is NOT a pompus person..not a new jack in the least.

but...that is just my opinion....

i am done on this topic

My comment was not meant to be demeaning although I can see how you could take it that way.

What I meant was that DJs like Edgar and Oscar G and many of the others that he dismisses have paid their dues. They have worked hard, built a following and earned their slots at the clubs.

How you express your opinion is as important as the opinion itself.For a guy who aspires to make a living doing this work, it's bad to have that little respect for the guys who came before them.

Do a search for my past posts and you'll see that I preach tollerence and acceptance.