Clubplanet Nightlife Community

News Flash...bliss Rescued By Deeper Substance!!!

philippio

Let me start by saying that I didn't go to this party expecting an even playing field! I mean c'mon, Bliss vs. Deeper Substance?!?!?Demi deserved a great opening set. Instead, he had to rescue a room full of bored and unimpressed clubbers (only a handful were dancing until about 1:15) from an opener that was about as flat as a Nimitz class carrier and 100% devoid of any funk, in one word BLAND!

What happened? There was a decent crowd at around 1am. Obviously, it didn't help that promotion for this night was weak at best. IMO, Demi got a much more inspiring intro when Oscar Fonseca opened for him. The only track that stood out in the least bit (and only cause it was more tasteless than the rest) was Dirty on Junior. Probably one of the most passe and boring slices of progressively mind-numbing beats ever pressed by the London imprint. And it was in tonight's opening set welcoming a dj who lives in London.

The usual fashion show soundtrack marked Demi's entrance and when he dropped Cevin Fisher's Work It out, I was floored!!! Funky had finally arrived!!! Demi was so into it!!! The man was just jumping left and right and really putting all his soul into reviving the party! Lots of the evil "shake your arse" basslines and nasty riffs and spacey noises! Just plain old fun!!! Done proper! Later on, he dropped a sleazy mix of Antoine Clamaran's Temaso (with the moaning in full glory!). The thing that pisses me off about Nerve is that it started as a great promise to keep clubbing interesting and fun. The air in there tonight was thick with pretentiousness and attitude. The final upside to tonight... someone finally dished out a few $$$ to get a plumber to fix the men's toilets!

Demi played a great set. Different from the last time. His set simply goes everywhere.... from funky to tech house, from tribal to proggier stuff, allways with a trippy vibe. Played some killer tracks during the build up of his set....he allways builds the set taking his time(who ever stays, stays...who ever leaves, leaves). Highlight of the night for me was the "Hazed track"....old track with a modern feel, simply timeless....blew me away! Overall great appearance. My respect... Oscar.

Originally posted by philippio

Let me start by saying that I didn't go to this party expecting an even playing field! I mean c'mon, Bliss vs. Deeper Substance?!?!?Demi deserved a great opening set. Instead, he had to rescue a room full of bored and unimpressed clubbers (only a handful were dancing until about 1:15) from an opener that was about as flat as a Nimitz class carrier and 100% devoid of any funk, in one word BLAND!

What happened? There was a decent crowd at around 1am. Obviously, it didn't help that promotion for this night was weak at best. IMO, Demi got a much more inspiring intro when Oscar Fonseca opened for him. The only track that stood out in the least bit (and only cause it was more tasteless than the rest) was Dirty on Junior. Probably one of the most passe and boring slices of progressively mind-numbing beats ever pressed by the London imprint. And it was in tonight's opening set welcoming a dj who lives in London.

The usual fashion show soundtrack marked Demi's entrance and when he dropped Cevin Fisher's Work It out, I was floored!!! Funky had finally arrived!!! Demi was so into it!!! The man was just jumping left and right and really putting all his soul into reviving the party! Lots of the evil "shake your arse" basslines and nasty riffs and spacey noises! Just plain old fun!!! Done proper! Later on, he dropped a sleazy mix of Antoine Clamaran's Temaso (with the moaning in full glory!). The thing that pisses me off about Nerve is that it started as a great promise to keep clubbing interesting and fun. The air in there tonight was thick with pretentiousness and attitude. The final upside to tonight... someone finally dished out a few $$$ to get a plumber to fix the men's toilets!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ..........i like this guy......he speaks what he thinks without fear of not being comp.....:laugh: :laugh:

what club were you in??? I was the part of the handfull that was on the dancefloor while jon was on the decks and i thought he was bomb!!!!! All my crew felt the same way as well... possibly you have negative feelings towards him personally, or you were just soooo fixated on demi, that you woudnt appreciate anything jc was throwing down.... he dropped scanners-shiver ( lawler's harlem mix):eek: which by the way was the first time ive heard that here in a club!!!! he also played some peace divisions tracks and gave us cowbell early in the night....

remember that jon is trying to work the whole club and maybe couldnt get you to feel what he was feelin... everyone i talked said he was great!!! they might not be as in depth to music as you, but now who is the one that is pretentious and w/ attitude:confused: ??? I thought the party was incredible!!!!!:eek::D

i met sooo many peeps and they were all constantly smiling and bobbing their head at the least!!! topic of conversation was mostly wow great the vibe was in there... The club was not too packed, or too empty... it filled up very nice throughout the nite, and the bar wait was minimal!!!! Everyone was well grooomed, lots of hotties, and everyone seemed as they came with the intention to party and dance.... maybe we both got different views of last nite being that i was on the dancfloor 99% of the nite....

just my 2 cents....

come by and say whats up next time your at the club,

ps this club has NO intentions of slowing down.... ;) we are dedicated to bring you guys a top knotch party EVERY FRIDAY NITE!!!! my name is greg, and everone on here can tell you that im not out sell someone short...

CHEERS!!!!

Greg,

First, I'm not affiliated with any club or promoting group. It sounds like you might be. I'm not out to sell anybody short and I don't have any negative personal feelings toward any promoter. As you correctly mentioned, I was writing an objective review from my perspective. However, I firmly believe in writing an honest review that reflects my own opinion and perception of the night in question. As far as being knowledgeable about music, I only know a few things about house music (it's the only genre that interests me right now). I've learned about talented dj's by going out since I was 15. I'm now 25. I'm done with the Sashas and Digweeds and Lawlers and Deep Dishes and all the big names (except for Danny Tenaglia and a few others). You have to realize that all my opinions are based on comparisons that I make. I judge how good or bad a dj is on relative terms and my standards always change as new talent constantly emerges. I don't believe one can be absolute in this type of criticism. I honestly believe that what Miami is now dubbing "progressive house" is really not progress and it definitely isn't house. As Saleen had mentioned a while back, progressive has gotten too serious and the whole aspect of fun has gotten completely sucked out of it. It's nice to see a guy like Demi put soul back into the music.

I'm not refuting the fact that dj's like Anthony Pappa, Sasha, Diggers, Lucien Foort, Danny Howells, etc were pioneers of the progressive sound. What I'm trying to explain is that progressive needs to evolve (look at it's name for fucking christ's sake)... all these guys pioneered it 3 or 4 years ago!!! Miami seems to fixate on a scene that's 4 years too stale relative to the rest of the world. A few lounges and bars do still embrace true house. Even Crobar brings Little Louie Vega once in a while.

Another thing to remember is that many people don't differentiate between progressive and tech house. I like to think that tech-house is the "intelligent" side of progressive. Tech-house producers use much "dirtier" sounds and techniques that infiltrate on a deeper level. It's hard to explain in words. And although most dj's very cleverly avoid restricting themselves to one subgenre of house, I would have to say that Miami's best tech house is played by Oscar Fonseca, Cianci & Avila, Eric Kittell, Cue and Amalia L. all of who do not limit themselves exclusively to this sound). Many promoters (who mostly look for progressive sounds) in this City need to come to the realization that the future of this sound is in young, slowly emerging talent and not the guys with the hyped up super-inflated nametag!!! I have not yet figured out whether Jon Cowan is a promoter, a dj or a club owner. I respect him or whoever booked Demi and lots of other talent in the past. Maybe it's that some promoters underestimate the appeal of a dj that no one has heard of. I really can't explain this phenomenon that is plagueing Miami's nightlife. Is it just that it's trendy or cool to be seen at Space in 2003 for Judge Jules cause he spins in Ibiza or Deep Dish (whose early work on mixes such as Junk Science in 1996 and Yoshiesque 1 in 1999 was phenomenal) or Steve Lawler (who made himself "King of Tribal" with the first Dark Drums set in 2000)? It is almost 2004. If you like progressive, progress with the scene!!!

Phil, there's some track out there where there's a spoken word vocal that goes "Progressive isn't progress and progressive isn't house". The spoken word then goes on to list house DJs..."larry levan, that's house...danny tenaglia, that's house...louie vega, that's house..." and so on...

I honestly believe that what Miami is now dubbing "progressive house" is really not progress and it definitely isn't house. As Saleen had mentioned a while back, progressive has gotten too serious and the whole aspect of fun has gotten completely sucked out of it. It's nice to see a guy like Demi put soul back into the music.

I'm not refuting the fact that dj's like Anthony Pappa, Sasha, Diggers, Lucien Foort, Danny Howells, etc were pioneers of the progressive sound. What I'm trying to explain is that progressive needs to evolve (look at it's name for fucking christ's sake)... all these guys pioneered it 3 or 4 years ago!!! Miami seems to fixate on a scene that's 4 years too stale relative to the rest of the world. A few lounges and bars do still embrace true house. Even Crobar brings Little Louie Vega once in a while.

Keep spreading the gospel brother. Your hitting the nail on the head :aright:

rcrespo, I have Jay-J and Lum's Roots Roll Call... including the Peace Division remixes. But if there's another Roots Roll Call and that's it, I can now finally look for it! Thanks!!!

funny - with all your complaining i played the exact track you speak of.. the peace division mix to be exact... philippio, if you plan to be such a two faced individual at least i know what your all about dude.. we work week in and week out to put quality talent in Nerve on a regular basis.. you'd think people in the musical community would embrace this, not trash it. As for the way I played, hey - different strokes for different folks but the vibe was definitely good and unless my eyes failed me the dance floor was pumping during my set. You say your looking out for Demi which i find amusing because he was so impressed with the way i played that we spoke of doing some traveling together as a duo and of me playing for him @ deeper substance in London. Last week you trashed Nerve online when in fact we did over 600 people for halloween which was pretty damn good for a venue of our size. the funny part is was the email i got from you apologising for trashing nerve online... i think your exact words were that i like to be a trouble maker but in reality you said you enjoyed the night but then again that was just before you asked me to comp you and all your friends.. let the true colors shine.. as for my role in Nerve, not that its any of your business but I own the venue, i handle all of the bookings and yes, i am resident on fridays.. as for bliss being not respected or a joke as you say - do your homework dude.. we are responsible for bringing just about every artist thats played in miami in a time when miami was scared to take a chance.. these artists include seaman, nick warren, satoshi, deep dish, cevin fisher, parks and wilson amongst several others.. I was musical director and resident dj at groovejet and i think our track record there speaks for itself. bliss is also responsible for cd releases of djs like dave seaman, the renaissance america series, steve lawler, parks and wilson ect ect ect... You may not like the way i play but different strokes for different folks - everyone is entitled to there opinion.. I do find it funny though that I am one of the few US artists represented by cosmack - they handle carl cox, digweed, boy george just to name a few... ever hear of them?? I've also held residencys at renaissance in the UK and also at the kitchen which is in dublin and was owned by someone named bono from u2 - ever hear of him or respect his musical taste? this is not a he said she said or some place where someone has to list there acomplishments - mine speak for themselves and I do not have to justify anything to you or anyone else for that matter... I do ask you all one thing - we are the only venue trying to bring you original and different talent on a weekly basis - support someone and a place thats trying keep a dwindling scene alive - don't knock it or you guys will lose it all together... anyways, thats my peace - hope too see you all over the next few weeks for the stellar lineup that the nerve crew has assembled for you.... remember - its all about the advancement of the scene...

peace and love

Jon Cowan:eek: :D

I'm simply astonished that your ignorance pertaining to the evolution of music is nothing short of amazing!!!

You have not yet realized that I am posting what I observe when I come to Nerve or wherever I go out. Why do you think I come to Nerve all the time, Jon? You bring good talent. Demi, Burridge, etc... What amazes me is that as a promoter, you are wasting your time concocting pithy comebacks to my otherwise honest - if not always tactful - reviews when you really need to use that time to stop the shameful self promotion, get out of your dj booth and go out and listen to what others are playing. You can start by pm'ing a few people (ekittell, blendprod, lyrik, carlaorellana, joebudious to name a few) and asking them what went down at Luna when Oscar Fonseca and Mazi spun. I'll post a review tomorrow.

Just a little aside here; if your accomplishments speak for themselves, why are you bragging to me about them?

The reason I apologize is because you still seem to think that I'm bashing Nerve. That's the part-owner in you talking. That is definitely not what I'm doing. My purpose in posting truthful reviews is to try and trigger in you a spark of curiosity (and forward thinking) as to what Nerve could be. You are NOT the only club that brings new talent to Miami, Jon. Wake up and smell the evolution!!!

It is none of my business what goes on behind the scenes (and so, I am not aware of what he thought of your set). I support Demi because he's talented and he really gets into the music when he plays. When you play, I can see $$$ signs in your eyes. Last, but definitely not least, the friends that come with me to Nerve are none of your business. This is not about them although I respect them very much.

I'm simply astonished that your ignorance pertaining to the evolution of music is nothing short of amazing!!!

You have not yet realized that I am posting what I observe when I come to Nerve or wherever I go out. Why do you think I come to Nerve all the time, Jon? You bring good talent. Demi, Burridge, etc... What amazes me is that as a promoter, you are wasting your time concocting pithy comebacks to my otherwise honest - if not always tactful - reviews when you really need to use that time to stop the shameful self promotion, get out of your dj booth and go out and listen to what others are playing. You can start by pm'ing a few people (ekittell, blendprod, lyrik, carlaorellana, joebudious to name a few) and asking them what went down at Luna when Oscar Fonseca and Mazi spun. I'll post a review tomorrow.

Just a little aside here; if your accomplishments speak for themselves, why are you bragging to me about them?

The reason I apologize is because you still seem to think that I'm bashing Nerve. That's the part-owner in you talking. That is definitely not what I'm doing. My purpose in posting truthful reviews is to try and trigger in you a spark of curiosity (and forward thinking) as to what Nerve could be. You are NOT the only club that brings new talent to Miami, Jon. Wake up and smell the evolution!!!

It is none of my business what goes on behind the scenes (and so, I am not aware of what he thought of your set). I support Demi because he's talented and he really gets into the music when he plays. When you play, I can see $$$ signs in your eyes. Last, but definitely not least, the friends that come with me to Nerve are none of your business. This is not about them although I respect them very much.

attachment.php?s=&postid=1800540