Clubplanet Nightlife Community

age of JR at soundfactory?

JoelB

I can't beleive how bitter people are twards Junior Vasquez. You either like him or don't. But if you don't like him you have to respect he is an innovator. If it weren't for him, there would be no Sound Factory, and guess what if it werent for Junior, Jonathan Peters wouldn't have half the career he has now!

But as I always say, If it weren't for Larry Levan their would be no Nightlife in NY. If you don't know who Larry Levan is get the book!

Not for nothin... but this JR-SF thing is lookin like a huge mistake already. Have you heard much about it on any boards? Nope. I can't say how it is, cause I haven't gone myself, so I could be completely off-base about this, but something is telling me that I'm not. If this was such a huge sucussful party as they made it out to be you know JR's fans would be crowing all over the place about it. But it's been real quiet. Almost tooooo quiet.... I dunno. I respect JR, and he is a great DJ. But I think JR's time is done and if he can't make it work at his "home" (SF) then I think it's pretty obvious that JR is washed up. Things run in cycles, Frankie Knuckles and Larry Levan to JR and down the line it goes. Alot of people are bitter about it, without a doubt.It was a messy transition and it really wasn't handled well, esp after how much Jonathan has acheived @ SF. But it's done and only time will tell if this was a good move for all those involved. And as soon as JP has a new spot the SF-JR bitterness will die down too.

Show Message

Name: DCNY69

Subject: this is how it is:

Date: 12/21/2003 3:14:15 PM

playlists are useless. People always remember the same tired songs and not the new/fierce tracks played. It also makes it seem boring, uninspired. I would much rather hear whether it was great, good or mediocre. Whether the crowd lived or if there was a crowd at all.

I was all excited to go this weekend again but at the last minute I couldn't. I'd like to hear some truthful reviews, God knows we'll never get that from Spanpoppedeyes.

I sincerely do hope that Jr finds his groove at this party soon. Even for his own sake.

God knows he needs to play good and even turn it from time to time to gain lots of his fans back. Word of mouth needs to be generated in order to make this party work. But first of all, we all need to agree that is all about the music and drama in the music. Not drama in the dj.

Also we go there to hear great music, new music, unknown artists, if we wanted to hear KTU crap, we'd stay home and save ourselves $30 plus.

We'll see how the energy is for New Year's, I really hope the place gets full and we get turned. I really don't care who performs as long as the music is solid.

Sincerely,

DC

From JR's website..... Sounds like my suspicions were confirmed. Washed Up!!!!

Originally posted by mattm2o

I can't beleive how bitter people are twards Junior Vasquez. You either like him or don't. But if you don't like him you have to respect he is an innovator. If it weren't for him, there would be no Sound Factory, and guess what if it werent for Junior, Jonathan Peters wouldn't have half the career he has now!

But as I always say, If it weren't for Larry Levan their would be no Nightlife in NY. If you don't know who Larry Levan is get the book!

Thats telling them!

Long Live PARADISE GARAGE!!!! 1976-1987

I ignore the haters,most of them are too young to understand.

Guest vintagepro
Originally posted by mattm2o

If it weren't for him, there would be no Sound Factory, and guess what if it werent for Junior, Jonathan Peters wouldn't have half the career he has now!

Please explain why JP would not have "1/2 the career" he has now if it weren't for JR?

Please explain why there would be no nightlife in NY if it weren't for Larry?

Originally posted by vintagepro

Please explain why JP would not have "1/2 the career" he has now if it weren't for JR?

Please explain why there would be no nightlife in NY if it weren't for Larry?

as for your second question,you should read this book,"My Life and the PARADISE GARAGE/KEEP ON DANCIN....by Mel Cheren

Guest vintagepro

I know the story, and was trying to make a point. Yes he was a pioneer, but there was a nightlife beofre him, and would have been one whether or not he existed. Absolutely zero dissrespect intended toward Larry, but to rest the existence of nightlife on his shoulders is a bit dramatic no?

Originally posted by vintagepro

I know the story, and was trying to make a point. Yes he was a pioneer, but there was a nightlife beofre him, and would have been one whether or not he existed. Absolutely zero dissrespect intended toward Larry, but to rest the existence of nightlife on his shoulders is a bit dramatic no?

Some would say yes others no.I say No.everyone has there reasons (personal for some).

Well I've been to SF twice since JR has been there, and the only time I noticed not a lot of people there was B4 2am, but wasn't that the same problem they had with JP??

I was talking to a lot of str8 people at the party (Yes there were TONS, along with TONS of girls) that used to frequent Jonathan's party and they say the last few weeks with Junior have been the same as with Jonathan on off weeks attendance wise. New Years Eve will definitly be the deciding factor

Well I've been to SF twice since JR has been there, and the only time I noticed not a lot of people there was B4 2am, but wasn't that the same problem they had with JP??

I was talking to a lot of str8 people at the party (Yes there were TONS, along with TONS of girls) that used to frequent Jonathan's party and they say the last few weeks with Junior have been the same as with Jonathan on off weeks attendance wise. New Years Eve will definitly be the deciding factor

Originally posted by djgrod

Not for nothin... but this JR-SF thing is lookin like a huge mistake already. Have you heard much about it on any boards? Nope. I can't say how it is, cause I haven't gone myself, so I could be completely off-base about this, but something is telling me that I'm not. If this was such a huge sucussful party as they made it out to be you know JR's fans would be crowing all over the place about it. But it's been real quiet. Almost tooooo quiet.... I dunno. I respect JR, and he is a great DJ. But I think JR's time is done and if he can't make it work at his "home" (SF) then I think it's pretty obvious that JR is washed up. Things run in cycles, Frankie Knuckles and Larry Levan to JR and down the line it goes. Alot of people are bitter about it, without a doubt.It was a messy transition and it really wasn't handled well, esp after how much Jonathan has acheived @ SF. But it's done and only time will tell if this was a good move for all those involved. And as soon as JP has a new spot the SF-JR bitterness will die down too.

It's like the opening of a new club, it will take at least several weeks for things to come in order. Plus JR's crowd isnt one to be posting messages all over the place anyway, at least not %99 of them, they could care less what other people think of THEIR party. Yes lets not forget it is the people who make the party not the DJ. I went last week early and was very reminiscent of Twilo, saw lots of fellow straight people from back then who arent close-minded brain-wahsed idiots, and personally thought the party was great.

Originally posted by todd f

I dunno they said it was because of numbers that they got rid of JP but I think that maybe Richard just wanted tog et rid of all the crackheads, including JP himself. Not there there arent crackheads at JR's party but its nowhere near what JPs parties were like. ANyway are we gonna argue about this forever?

i was at SF a few months ago when JP was still there and the after hours party was nothing like it used to be..by 10am the place was dead... even when i got there about 5 it was still not what it used to be...so if its J.P or JR people are not staying as late anymore....