Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Crobar a Gay club ?????

Originally posted by gmoney44

I not a person that has problem with gay people but the problem with crobar is that last two times that i have gone the crowd and the promotion has 80 percent gay and thats not fun for us straight people

guess ya dont get out much clubbin eh?? Im straight-so dont ask

This brings up a strange trend with door policies at clubs. It seems somewhat discriminatory. Why is it that a group of gay men going to a club is acceptable to a door person while a single ar small group of str8 men aren't ... and how do you distinguish between the two?

Now I know that Victor Calderone is Sat night resident and he has a large Gay following, so I don't know if he was there last night, that might explain that. The funny side note of that is that Victor is straight and has a wife/ kid. So the crowd should be mixed as I have read that Victor has stated that he is tired of being pidgeonholed as a "gay" DJ. So you would think that the door would be wide open.....

Originally posted by bumpdaddy

This brings up a strange trend with door policies at clubs. It seems somewhat discriminatory. Why is it that a group of gay men going to a club is acceptable to a door person while a single ar small group of str8 men aren't ... and how do you distinguish between the two?

Being gay, I always thought this was hysterical I remember having to hold my str8 friends hand going into Twilo and Tunnel or he would NOT get in because he was ummmm how would u say, a GUIDO? :laugh:

Also most men working the doors at these big clubs are gay, and therfore have GAYdar and can tell, I know all of my friends can. Also in the past gay men don't start fights and your str8 men are groping girls left and right and fighting, I am in no way saying this is anywhere near ALL str8 men but let's face it there are plenty of 'em like this.

Originally posted by djgrod

Now I know that Victor Calderone is Sat night resident and he has a large Gay following, so I don't know if he was there last night, that might explain that. The funny side note of that is that Victor is straight and has a wife/ kid. So the crowd should be mixed as I have read that Victor has stated that he is tired of being pidgeonholed as a "gay" DJ. So you would think that the door would be wide open.....

Victor wasn't there for the past two saturdays. I heard he isn't there this week either. Regardless, the crowd was mixed and the music was great.

Originally posted by icup

Victor wasn't there for the past two saturdays. I heard he isn't there this week either. Regardless, the crowd was mixed and the music was great.

I'm not sure if it's true .. but from what I understand .. his twice monthly saturday residency will begin after New Years eve

Originally posted by chris817

You have to remember you are in a gay club. They see you as gay.

If you just say thanks but I'm straight they will leave you alone

*playing devil's advocate*

so, by logical deduction, what you're saying is that it should be ok for me to grope straight women when i'm attending a "straight" club?

Originally posted by PFloyd40

so, by logical deduction, what you're saying is that it should be ok for me to grope straight women when i'm attending a "straight" club?

for once, i'm pleased you took all those stupid philosophy classes . . . good point!!!

Originally posted by PFloyd40

Of course not, i really see the same amount of groping at straight clubs or bars just as gay clubs. Its not right but it just happens

Originally posted by babbo

it amazes me the homophobia still thrives in "kids" in the year 2004- again, dam-there's still tons of lightweights out there in clubland-and especially on this board-

Whats more amazing is the "straightophobia" and the fact that gay people feel the need to exclude straight people from their parties... alla Junior Vasquez...

Originally posted by bumpdaddy

Whats more amazing is the "straightophobia" and the fact that gay people feel the need to exclude straight people from their parties... alla Junior Vasquez...

MORE amazing- ok- lol I agree w/ya bout junior v- all all her bullshit lmao

Originally posted by gmoney44

I not a person that has problem with gay people but the problem with crobar is that last two times that i have gone the crowd and the promotion has 80 percent gay and thats not fun for us straight people

getting back to the original post...

crobar is not a gay club nor is it a straight club... crobar is trying to go beyond simple labels

the idea is to be the ultimate club where there are no limitations... when I go out I want to see all sorts of people places and things... regardless of how I classify myself...

if you want to be in a room full of people just like yourself then obviously this is not for you... perhaps you should look to spend time elsewhere... no offense, just the truth

but if you are open to the idea of a club hybrid then we will see you there...

Originally posted by cnm71

getting back to the original post...

crobar is not a gay club nor is it a straight club... crobar is trying to go beyond simple labels

the idea is to be the ultimate club where there are no limitations... when I go out I want to see all sorts of people places and things... regardless of how I classify myself...

if you want to be in a room full of people just like yourself then obviously this is not for you... perhaps you should look to spend time elsewhere... no offense, just the truth

but if you are open to the idea of a club hybrid then we will see you there...

You probably wont see larry tee and mike musto there tho..... So i guess its not a gay club....

http://www1.villagevoice.com/issues/0351/flylife.php

crobar is not a "gay" club.

I think the past few years without big clubs; has made people forget the days of 5-10 years ago..when the crowd was very mixed.

Over the last few years everyone got so used to be around people "like them" in all these smaller lounges, venues. You forgot what a large "gay" presence NYC has.. especially in the clubs.

The club (Crobar) brought in all the big "gay" promoters and queens.. drafted from the old limelight days. Especially the door people..who make the club.

and it's in Chelsea... so, therefore..a highly "gay"/ mixed crowd.

I think Saturdays, Victor's residency will be predominantly gay, whether the club/VC expects/wants it or not.

I personally think Fridays will be the more "regular" and B n T crowd within time..and Saturdays will follow a more "gay" theme.

There were plenty of beautiful women when I went, it just so happens that I was there with Keoki and his man.. one of the most well known "gay" dj's in the city. I'm straight.. they aren't.. and we went together. Who cares..??!!!

Gay culture is a huge part of the club scene..you have to accept it..especially at larger venues.

Accept it, or don't go out. Thats the way I see it....