Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Jr. @ Sf

rezin

Originally posted by djgrod

(Matt- Good party Fri night- I went for my B-Day... Music was good. Liked hearing Take Me Down as I walked in.... Did I hear LES are coming back soon?)

Yeah were workin on bringin em' back! Their so damn busy right now but they will be back soon! Ali & Mac had a good time last time they played!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by bumpdaddy

This whole thread is getting waaay outta control. They both have had high points and low points in their careers. To bash either of them is just ignorant.

All of you people who claim that SF is nothing without Johnathan Peters obviously don't know that it was actually Junior and a guy named Christian Visca who opened Sound Factory in 89 and he was the driving force behind it untill 95 when the original club closed. Everyone seems to forget his residencies at Palladium, Tunnel and Ultimately Twilo, right around the time the new Sound Factory opened. What about all of you Junior bashers who were singing the praises of his Exit residency not too long ago? Lets also not forget the long list of artists he's worked with over the years producing and remixing.. Madonna... whitney Houston Mariah etc. etc. . Not bad for a guy from philly who got his start as a clerk at downstairs records in the early 80's.

Now lets talk a little about Johnathan Peters. I would agree that he definately was instrumental in making the New Sound Factory what it is/was. For those of you that remember his debut there was Valentines day in 97 where he drew a crowd of almost 3,000 people his first night. (the club itslef opened new years eve 96-97)', Ironicly his first residency there was friday nights. To take it a step further he was hired away from Save the Robots and Mirage (now Exit) in 97 because his 2 year friday/saturday residencies there drew a huge following. The funny thing is iall the talk back then was about how Sound Factory was nothing with Junior. At that time Eddie Baez was the Saturday resident and was doing good numbers. A few months passed and Sound Factory Fridays became the hot party because of JP's willingness to play almost anything to keep the crowd moving and people loved it. Eddie's Saturday night was going downhill fast and thats not good in the early stages of a club's opening. Richard Grant was struggling back then to protect his investment and asked JP to spin both Friday and Saturday night and he accepted. Eddie went on to Palladium where he had much better luck and for some time JP did both nights untill eventually switching to stictly saturdays. Keep in mind that while all this is going on he's running Deep Records (His Label) During the week.

Not bad for a guy who started playing records at Cafe Iguana after dinner on weekends...

So what happens now??? Neither one has a residency. Who knows?? I will say one thing... These guys are very different from each other and have both had good runs...I think Junior is at the end of his. He's 57 going on 58 and has alienated alot of his former fans...not to mention 80% of females who've attempted to be fans.. Jp seems to have a very loyal following and is less concerned with who he's playing to and will probably continue to grind it out for years to come. It's time to give the guys who are coming up a shot. If you can be a little open minded you might be pleasantly surprised. Neither one of these guys came up overnight........

Brilliant post. You're right - Junior has alientated many, many of his fans over the years. I've always enjoyed hearing Junior, but he's made some big mistakes in the past. Peters, while I don't care for his present musical style, will play for any crowd - gay or straight. For that, I give him credit.

We need to stop bashing both DJs and respect both of them. The main person responsible for JP's departure is RICHARD GRANT. If anyone wants to bash someone, they should bash HIM.

Originally posted by princessofsf

todd it is a fact throughout the course of the New Years party there were 11,500 people through the door. They set a record for the largest door count at a single club event. I got those numbers from someone that works at Exit, actually t was just under11,500 we rounded it off.

Privilege in Ibiza has a capacity of over 10k (you can look that up if you like)...and is often PACKED during the summer - meaning that way over 11,500 people come in and out there on a big night so stop spouting and chill.

and the reason why is was such a huge night at Exit is:

1. NYE

2. all the JP headz came to support him after his leaving SF - he wouldn't have done numbers like that otherwise

3. 18+ crackheadz filled the place up. Most other clubs didn't cater to that crowd.

If you had put PVD in Exit that night for 18+ you would have seen the same numbers. Or DT for 18+ if he hadn't spun in the city for several months prior cause he'd lost his residency.

Wait till JP gets a new regular thing before talking shit. He was pulling about 1k on regular nights for months before leaving SF

Bump's post was right on although i dont like JP or JR that much and have bashed both in the past...hes right...JP does pack the number and when JP gets experimental hes not that bad ( but he is so slow to introduce new music)....and please outside of NYC JP couldnt pack a wedding dance floor....so before you start jumping on 11,000 people bandwagon realize that its all relative....

Bump's post was right on although i dont like JP or JR that much and have bashed both in the past...hes right...JP does pack the number and when JP gets experimental hes not that bad ( but he is so slow to introduce new music)....and please outside of NYC JP couldnt pack a wedding dance floor....so before you start jumping on 11,000 people bandwagon realize that its all relative....

Guest shortyrockrox
Originally posted by rollindeep11

I'm not getting in the middle of this JP VS JV stuff, but JP does very well outside of NYC, he has packed out places in Cancun, Vegas, Boston and South Beach. Probably others places as well but I wouldn't know for sure.

I like Factory, and I will check out the parties mentioned....I think I have heard Shawn Ink at Disco or Cheetah...and if he plays similar to JP it's worth checking out. Eddie Baez is also a friend of mine and I would love to see him at Factory!

JP going back would be nice too, but I don't know about all these rumors surrounding his "departure"....sounds like RG and JP have both had their egos checked and can now focus on bringing the party back, the crowd back, and most importantly, the MUSIC back!

Originally posted by mattm2o

Yeah were workin on bringin em' back! Their so damn busy right now but they will be back soon! Ali & Mac had a good time last time they played!

:D:hoparound - Glad to hear that. We enjoyed them just as much. Keep this party goin man..... Fri was a lil light, but no big deal. Still had a blast for the B-Day....

Originally posted by djstevemelnick

11,000 people, and who provided this info.... JP Himself. Half the people were old - exit heads returning for old times sake, the other half just makes it a regular theme night @ SF. Face it you're argument is basesless and stupid @ that. I've been listening to JP since probably b4 you knew what pubic hair. You have no clue what you're talking about so why don't you leave the discussions to the adults here. You're "I went to SF for the first time at SF Beach Party 2003 and JP is GOD" mentality is what has ruined our scene today, that is , people just like you. In fact it is people like you that ruined JP. Do us all a favor and put JP's dick back in your mouth so that we don't have to read your factless, baseless, pointless, and might I add just plain dumbass posts. You know nothing of the history of the scene in NYC obviously.

You know what man- Your a grade a peice of shit..... Are you able to read. I said in my last post that I was done making posts about this..... But then you gotta push the button huh? Beach Party '03 was my first night @ SF huh???? Mmmmmm NO. First time @ SF was JP's B-Day in '00. So that would mean I have been going there for quite some time.... Don't talk shit to me, cause I know pleanty about the place, it's history and all that..... I don't like hearing Jonathan play Luz for 45 minutes..... Frankly there have been times that I walked outta there really dissapointed. I've got no problem admitting it..... I've ruined the "scene" huh??? I go out almost every weekend, SUPPORTING the "scene".... Get a fucking clue as to what your talking about. I'd rather hear JP play Boots, Kemical,Aftermath,Relentless, then to hear Luz anyday....anytime...... Just drop it I said my peice. Or do you have to be the bitch and get in the last word. Like I said in my other posts- (in case your speak and spell went down I'll repeat it.) I'm finished arguing about it. JP isn't there JR isn't now either... What goes around comes around..... THE END

Originally posted by princessofsf

numbers were bad every where in New York over the last year genius. Its called bad economics. My friends at Hogs and Heifers said numbers were down there this year and thats a little gold mine. My friends in the restuarant bizz said the same thing. I also have friends that are strippers and they said this is the worst year they have ever had in New York. If you think it was JP's fault #'s were down you would be wrong. If that was the case Exit would not have been packed on New Years and it was. Even though #'s might have been slightly down JP's worst night was still better than JV's best night at SF.

I agree with the economics statement above, but that is about it. I think Junior and Jonathan are both better DJs than any of us will ever dream of being. They both have a great ability to make this thing we call music. I hope they both land on their feet and get gigs at wonderful clubs. I plan on listening to them both in the future!

Originally posted by shortyrockrox

I'm not getting in the middle of this JP VS JV stuff, but JP does very well outside of NYC, he has packed out places in Cancun, Vegas, Boston and South Beach. Probably others places as well but I wouldn't know for sure.

jon has packed places like sobe,vegas and cancun during spring break and holiday weekends which have i high nyc/nj crowd thats the only reason he packed places.jon worked at the white party in sobe a few years back and the place didnt like him at all.