Clubplanet Nightlife Community

p-diddy will soon run things, how they should be run

For the past year, P. Diddy has been working on a electro-fueled dance-rap hybrid album, and he's hired some of the biggest names in independent electronic music to produce the disc.

One of his main collaborators is Felix Da Housecat, who

wrote 12 songs, four or five of which will make the final cut, Felix said. Other producers include Les Rythmes Digitales, Timo Maas, DJ Hell and Zoot Woman, each of whom color Diddy's world with clattering beats and delirious samples.

"Puff likes that tech bangin' stuff," Felix said. "But it's not soulless and it really has a groove. It's definitely him, and it has a gangsta sound that he brings to it."

While Diddy has never dabbled in European-flavored electronic dance music before, he came into the project with no lack of knowledge. He's listened to loads of underground records and has attended electronic music festivals, including the Winter Music Conference in Miami, where last year he studied up on the numerous hot DJs, noting what he liked and what he didn't.

"He knows cheese from credible, which really shocked me," Felix said. "He wants straight, edgy music. The beats are really stripped-down and raw, and he's totally into it. We were in Ibiza together, and when I played, he jumped on the stage and there were like 5,000 people going crazy to this bangin' stuff I was playing. He's seeing that, and he's like, 'Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is where I want to take it.' "

But while much of the still-untitled album will be upbeat and frantic, Felix said there'll also be some emotive, down-tempo numbers. Diddy likely will bring a number of guest singers into his studio in the coming weeks, but he's also doing vocals himself, and it's not what his fans are used to hearing from the rap Renaissance man.

"It's sort of like rapping, but it's so hard to explain," Felix said. "It's definitely capturing his personality and his vibe in dance, so he's not changing himself. He says, 'I want something sexy and gangsta,' so that's what we did."

Felix tested one of the songs, "Jack You," in front of 25,000 people at the Big Day Out festival in Australia. Diddy played it in a much smaller club, and both were pleased by the response.

"I think 'cuz our worlds are so different, we're able to create some really great stuff," Felix said. "People have tried to merge dance music with hip-hop, but it's never really been accomplished or finished right. That was definitely the biggest test for me."

this is funny.. this man is all over the place..

i heard that in crobar (miami) or one of those clubs.. pvd was spinnign and p diddy showed up and got int he booth with him amping up the crowd and shit and he gave paul a cd to mix but paul didn't want to play it for some reason so p diddy had one of his huge bouncers go back in the booth and take the cd back from paul.... gangsta....

"Puff likes that tech bangin' stuff," Felix said. "But it's not soulless and it really has a groove. It's definitely him, and it has a gangsta sound that he brings to it."

Oh, so he is going to bring a "gangsta sound" to dance music? Really? Hey Puff - keep your filthy, bitch-hating, n-word using, violent, "gangsta" sounds in your own genre. House music is about love and feeling good - your bling-bling bullsh*t just won't mince with it.

In Jack's House, there is ONLY HOUSE MUSIC.

Guest sxcain
Originally posted by montebrogan

Oh, so he is going to bring a "gangsta sound" to dance music? Really? Hey Puff - keep your filthy, bitch-hating, n-word using, violent, "gangsta" sounds in your own genre. House music is about love and feeling good - your bling-bling bullsh*t just won't mince with it.

haha.. puffy is so far from gangsta rap as you say lol.. very funny you that though..

Originally posted by oldtimer

this is funny.. this man is all over the place..

i heard that in crobar (miami) or one of those clubs.. pvd was spinnign and p diddy showed up and got int he booth with him amping up the crowd and shit and he gave paul a cd to mix but paul didn't want to play it for some reason so p diddy had one of his huge bouncers go back in the booth and take the cd back from paul.... gangsta....

It was space, and PVD played lets get ill for him twice, i saw puff at crobar and he got cedric gervais to play lets get ill too.

Originally posted by majinbuu

It was space, and PVD played lets get ill for him twice, i saw puff at crobar and he got cedric gervais to play lets get ill too.

if diddy came up to me and asked me to play somethin i would too. even if i was one of the world's biggest dj's. puffy knows wut he's doin when it comes to makin money. this album will sell, cuz he'll know how to make it appeal to someone.

im personally interested in wuts gonna be on it. ill def pick it up when it comes out and give it a listen. if it sux, it wont be the first cd i bought that does.

:rolleyes: anyhoo...

I can't wait to see what he does with the genre...hopefully he is taking it seriously and not just something to capitalize on...

1 have you ever heard a song this man has produced? ITS THE FARTHEST THING FROM GANGSTA.. and you say dont brin YOUR bling bling blah blah like your tallking to diddy.. lol

oh and by the way pdiddy is gay all his tunes suck ill piss onhis face

schma

Originally posted by nomembername

Don't know if it will be any good or not but I would guess he's gonna take it serious...he usually does whenever he starts a project.

i know but do you remember that alternative band that was signed to Bad Boy? He seems to jump on bandwagons and doesn't really follow through.

Originally posted by joeg

get out much? :confused:

Sure joeg, I get out plently...

And to luztidara: I have no idea what a "wanksta" is, so I can't even reply to what you wrote.

My point is that we don't need Puff in dance music. Hip hop is taking over the television, the airwaves, the sports world, the movies...you name it. Even KTU - which played some decent (but commercial house music) in the late 90s - has become mostly hip hop. I'm sick of it.

Puff, stick to what you do best - rapping over someone else's sampled beats to lyrics someone else wrote for you.

one of the main reasons house music labels are going out of business is because the listeners of this genre are soo fuckin stubborn... god forbid puffy who runs one of the biggest hip hop label dares to try and make a house album,a guy like puffy doesnt need to even touch house music and i wouldnt say he is jumpin on any sort of band wagon cause house music right now is soo not hot or even anywhere on the level hip hop is on,maybe puffy actually went to ibiza and wmc and saw a whole new side of music that he was never exposed too and it interested him enuff to actually go out and make shit happen.....if u people are soo die hard house music fans and care soo much bout ur genre of music u should support this move instead of bashing it,if pvd said im producing straight hip hop tracks from now on hip hop heads would get excited and prob embrace watever he brought to the table,and as i recall that lets get ill track was prob the most talked bout track on this message board since prob in ur eyes lol and now everyone is hatingg,im all for puffy in this move especially if he has collaborations by mary j blidge on itor any other artists he works wit,her on vocals made specifally for a house track would be major...possibilities are endless we will see when the album drops i guess

> > SaL kLuTcH

Originally posted by risekevin

Yeah the first track came out last year and it was hot!! Haven't heard it in America, but heard it all over radio and clubs in the UK.

Great techno sound.

It will never make heavy radio rotation but the song was definitely dropped in clubs all over...

Originally posted by djklutch

one of the main reasons house music labels are going out of business is because the listeners of this genre are soo fuckin stubborn... god forbid puffy who runs one of the biggest hip hop label dares to try and make a house album,a guy like puffy doesnt need to even touch house music and i wouldnt say he is jumpin on any sort of band wagon cause house music right now is soo not hot or even anywhere on the level hip hop is on,maybe puffy actually went to ibiza and wmc and saw a whole new side of music that he was never exposed too and it interested him enuff to actually go out and make shit happen.....if u people are soo die hard house music fans and care soo much bout ur genre of music u should support this move instead of bashing it,if pvd said im producing straight hip hop tracks from now on hip hop heads would get excited and prob embrace watever he brought to the table,and as i recall that lets get ill track was prob the most talked bout track on this message board since prob in ur eyes lol and now everyone is hatingg,im all for puffy in this move especially if he has collaborations by mary j blidge on itor any other artists he works wit,her on vocals made specifally for a house track would be major...possibilities are endless we will see when the album drops i guess

> > SaL kLuTcH

ugggh, i just wanted to say i disagree with this whole post but i don't have the energy to write a response. Both genres are on a downswing. if you watch interviews with any major hip hop/edm artist, they all say virtually the same. so as a resulting measure, the smart artist producer says, lets combine elements from both. we now started seeing a combination of both genres.

also, electro with hip hop vocals and beats has been around for a while. not to mention ragga and various influenced D&B. this is not breaking any new ground. just breaking new ground in the commercial arena.

sounds like an interesting hybrid project...

I personally have have nothing against Puffy... I just think that he over-saturated the media with the idea of himself... I prefer when people are more strategic with what they do... I have the feeling that he has learned his lesson regarding this

best of luck to him