Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Passion of Christ review...

djcarlosf

because this movie debuted today, it would be unfair for me to talk about it. but i will say this, to be a great director, one must be open minded; and mel gibson is so. the cinematography, actors/actresses, scenery all blends into a whole. one cannot enjoy this movie if they are to walk in there thinking omg this movie is anti-semetic or completely wrong against what i believe. please make sure you see this film, and when you do, with an open mind.

PS, if your stomach is weak, dont watch it. :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

useless movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

now the country is gonna go on a religious peak...just bcuz they saw a movie!!!!!!!!!!!! which keeps me believing that ...this country is full of a bunch of sheeeeeeeep!!!!!!!!!!! they believe what they see on t.v. and in hollywood...more than they believe in themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!

im allready hearing the poeple on talk shows...this movie makes me find my faith, and re affirms my faith......blah, blah, blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remember IM GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i tell unto all of u this movie is USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

belive in what u have between ur ears...cuz thats all uve got.......im not meaning to offend any1 with my comments.....i just make observations...and speak off of those observations!!!!!!!

OK . . . if you don't agree . . . explain why Mel's dad says the Holcaust is mostly fiction . . .

Gibson Father: Holocaust Mostly 'Fiction'

Thursday February 19, 2004 11:16 PM

NEW YORK (AP) - Days before the release of Mel Gibson's film about the death of Jesus, which some critics say could fuel anti-Semitism, his father has told an interviewer that the Holocaust was mostly ``fiction.''

Steve Feuerstein - host of ``Speak Your Piece!'' - said he interviewed Hutton Gibson for a segment of his show to be broadcast Monday by the small Talkline Communications Network.

According to a transcript released by the network, Hutton Gibson said, ``It's all - maybe not all fiction - but most of it is,'' when asked about his views on the Holocaust.

He added: ``They claimed that there were 6.2 million (Jews) in Poland before the war and after the war there were 200,000, therefore he (Hitler) must have killed 6 million of them. They simply got up and left. They were all over the Bronx and Brooklyn and Sydney and Los Angeles.''

The interview comes at a sensitive time for Mel Gibson, whose epic ``The Passion of the Christ'' is due to open Wednesday.

Some Jewish leaders say the movie could fuel anti-Semitism for its portrayal of Jews' role in the crucifixion, while conservative Christians have praised it as a moving depiction of Christ's death.

Gibson, who produced, directed and co-wrote the film, has said repeatedly that he is not anti-Semitic and that the project was a deeply personal expression of his own faith.

Hutton Gibson has an unpublished phone number at his home outside Houston and could not be reached for comment. Alan Nierob, a spokesman for Mel Gibson, declined to comment on the interview.

Hutton Gibson follows a tiny wing of traditionalist Catholicism that views the modernizing reforms of the Second Vatican Council as a conspiracy between Jews and Masons to take over the church.

The elder Gibson has stirred controversy in previous interviews with remarks on the Holocaust and Judaism, but had kept quiet in the months leading up to the release of ``The Passion.''

In this latest interview, Gibson said Jews want to take over the world. He did not know why Jews would want to achieve that, but said ``it's all about control. They're after one world religion and one world government.''

Asked in media interviews whether he shares his father's views, Mel Gibson has said that he loves his father and will not speak against him.

Zev Brenner, owner of Talkline, which he calls a Jewish network, has been calling for a boycott of all of Mel Gibson's movies.

I love it when people cry anti-semitism...

* Like they made the Germans look like saints in Schindler's list...

* Like we don't have Western movies where the Indians are the bad guys... meanwhile we slaughtered many, put them in reservations and said we "found" the land...

* Like we don't have movies that portray blacks/latino people as being stupid... could rattle over a ton of names including Dangerous Minds, Up in Smoke, etc.

Give me a break... :rolleyes:

Ummmm - wasn't "Jesus" a Jew?

Originally posted by captainpec

I love it when people cry anti-semitism...

* Like they made the Germans look like saints in Schindler's list...

* Like we don't have Western movies where the Indians are the bad guys... meanwhile we slaughtered many, put them in reservations and said we "found" the land...

* Like we don't have movies that portray blacks/latino people as being stupid... could rattle over a ton of names including Dangerous Minds, Up in Smoke, etc.

Give me a break... :rolleyes:

Ummmm - wasn't "Jesus" a Jew?

what i get from this post...is that stupid people come from all races, religions, and creeds!!!!!!!!!!!:D

a human is a human after all.....were all pink on the inside!!!!!!!:cool:

i dont care what his dad said

im here to judge the FILM, not someones beliefs or ideas. this would be the drama forum if we were to start bashing each others beliefs and ideas. i for one, thought the movie was a wonderful piece of art. for someone to compare this film to something from nazi germany i for one, think THAT is anti-semetic. as the wise mrs. said, we are people. and as people, we are all ignorant and intolerant of what we dont understand. last thing i need now is for someone to think i hate jews :rolleyes:

Originally posted by flip...

what i get from this post...is that stupid people come from all races, religions, and creeds!!!!!!!!!!!:D

a huma nis a human after all.....were all pinl on the inside!!!!!!!:cool:

Exactly... in today's world, everyone is already ready to press the button and cry the word victim. We walk on too many egg shells and for absolutely no reason.

Why can't we all just get along? :party:

I saw the movie this past Monday at a special viewing and I will say this:

To me, the movie made me, as a Catholic, truly remember and realize all the suffrage and everything that Jesus Christ did and went through for us. I think we've gotten to a point in our society today where its just too easy to "forget" about it. It wasn't a huge shocker to me (although it was quite graphic and veeery intense) how they portrayed his last few hours...afterall,(*newly inserted disclaimer* I am Catholic and according to my faith in my religion the next few words are what I believe in) that is how it happened.

Also, I found that all of the characters were very properly cast and that they all did an absolutely amazing job...everyone from Jesus to Barabas was great! Satan was also insane..seeing him literally put chills down my back. I also found that the way they flashed back to scenes from Jesus' life and childhood was ingenious and all of those scenes were very well put together as well. I do wish though that there were more of these scenes in order to inform us and remind us of why exactly Jesus was going through all of this for us and what it took for him to get this point in his life. Part of me feels that this part of the movie that was lacking behind, IMO, could have made the film even that much better and that this would have perhaps given me the type of spiritual connection that I went into the theater hoping to come out with.

However, if you are not familiar with Jesus' story and all the people that were majorly involved in his life, especially the last 12 hours, then you may find yourself being confused as to who is who and what exactly is going on. They never really go out of their way to name and explain who each person is...for many of the characters you either know who they are or you don't.

As for sparking Anti-Semitism, I think it's all bull. I did find myself getting a little upset and wanting to yell out "Stop!" when Jesus was being repeatedly beat by both the Romans and the Jews, but I knew that that's the way it happened and that's they way it HAD to happen. I just don't understand why on Earth people would get upset over something that had to happen for our own good and get upset over something that happened over 2000 years ago.

So overall:

Did I like the Movie and recommend it to others? Yes!

Did I have a deep spiritual connection with the film? No. I think maybe those that aren't too sure of their Catholic/Christian/Etc faith may though.

Did I think that it portrayed Jesus' final hours according to how it was told in the Bible? Yes.

Will it cause peole to look deeper into their faith? I believe for some it may,yes.

But will it cause people to convert to the Catholic faith? I don't think so

Is all the hype about Anti-Semitism just hype? IMO yes

I thought the movie was very good and very intense. I don't recommend watching it if you have a weak stomach or have trouble sleeping. I never have trouble sleeping due to a show or movie, but this one had me waking up throughout the night.

So anyways...get out there and see it! I'd love to hear everyone elses view points and takes on the film!

afterall, that is how it happened.

i love it when people say things like this ^^^

how the hell do you know "that is how it happened"?? were you there? did you see it first hand? no, i don't think so. you claim to know because that is how it said it happened in the bible. that's laughable since the bible was written something like 1000 years AFTER this event by someone who wasn't even there namely king james of scotland who by this point in time most likely already had a bias opinion of the stories. even the books written by the apostles right after the events varied in their accounts of what actually happened and most of the stories based on this event that are written in the bible are taken from the accounts of the apostles. if they lived it and can't even agree what happened then how the hell can YOU say "afterall, that is how it happened"??

talk about sheep...

Originally posted by marick

how the hell do you know "that is how it happened"?? were you there? did you see it first hand? no, i don't think so. you claim to know because that is how it said it happened in the bible. that's laughable since the bible was written something like 1000 years AFTER this event by someone who wasn't even there namely king james of scotland who by this point in time most likely already had a bias opinion of the stories. even the books written by the apostles right after the events varied in their accounts of what actually happened and most of the stories based on this event that are written in the bible are taken from the accounts of the apostles. if they lived it and can't even agree what happened then how the hell can YOU say "afterall, that is how it happened"??

talk about sheep...

Oh puh-lease...sheep this :rolleyes:

You honestly pushed a button with me on this one.

I said/say that because it is what I BELIEVE:rolleyes: I know very well that there are descrepancies in what the Bible says, but it doesn't change the fact that I truly believe that is what happened.

I thought that by my saying in the first line that I am Catholic that it was understood what I meant, but I guess some minds are too simple...............next time I'll make sure to add a disclaimer for you:rolleyes:

Originally posted by sunnyhost

I saw the movie this past Monday at a special viewing and I will say this:

To me, the movie made me, as a Catholic, truly remember and realize all the suffrage and everything that Jesus Christ did and went through for us. I think we've gotten to a point in our society today where its just too easy to "forget" about it. It wasn't a huge shocker to me (although it was quite graphic and veeery intense) how they portrayed his last few hours...afterall,(*newly inserted disclaimer* I am Catholic and according to my faith in my religion the next few words are what I believe in) that is how it happened.

Also, I found that all of the characters were very properly cast and that they all did an absolutely amazing job...everyone from Jesus to Barabas was great! Satan was also insane..seeing him literally put chills down my back. I also found that the way they flashed back to scenes from Jesus' life and childhood was ingenious and all of those scenes were very well put together as well. I do wish though that there were more of these scenes in order to inform us and remind us of why exactly Jesus was going through all of this for us and what it took for him to get this point in his life. Part of me feels that this part of the movie that was lacking behind, IMO, could have made the film even that much better and that this would have perhaps given me the type of spiritual connection that I went into the theater hoping to come out with.

However, if you are not familiar with Jesus' story and all the people that were majorly involved in his life, especially the last 12 hours, then you may find yourself being confused as to who is who and what exactly is going on. They never really go out of their way to name and explain who each person is...for many of the characters you either know who they are or you don't.

As for sparking Anti-Semitism, I think it's all bull. I did find myself getting a little upset and wanting to yell out "Stop!" when Jesus was being repeatedly beat by both the Romans and the Jews, but I knew that that's the way it happened and that's they way it HAD to happen. I just don't understand why on Earth people would get upset over something that had to happen for our own good and get upset over something that happened over 2000 years ago.

So overall:

Did I like the Movie and recommend it to others? Yes!

Did I have a deep spiritual connection with the film? No. I think maybe those that aren't too sure of their Catholic/Christian/Etc faith may though.

Did I think that it portrayed Jesus' final hours according to how it was told in the Bible? Yes.

Will it cause peole to look deeper into their faith? I believe for some it may,yes.

But will it cause people to convert to the Catholic faith? I don't think so

Is all the hype about Anti-Semitism just hype? IMO yes

I thought the movie was very good and very intense. I don't recommend watching it if you have a weak stomach or have trouble sleeping. I never have trouble sleeping due to a show or movie, but this one had me waking up throughout the night.

So anyways...get out there and see it! I'd love to hear everyone elses view points and takes on the film!

Great review and sums up my opinion of the film as well. Although I am sure of my faith and am a catholic, I did have a connection with the film because I had never really seen or felt what Jesus must have gone through during his last hours in that way. Glad mel made the movie and I hope the whole anti-semitism hype about the movie goes away as it really is not attack on jews and I don't think anybody is going to come out of the movie saying that jews are evil people or anything like that.

Originally posted by marick

talk about sheep...

Dude she did state she was catholic and thats how it went according to our beliefs, no need to hate and call her a sheep. Why so jumpy anyhow to make somebody feel like their beliefs are wrong. I saw this movie after waiting to see it for a long time, not because of the hype but I was actually interested in a mel gibson directed movie and more importantly a movie depicting the final hours of jesus. Not a sheep cause I went to watch this when it came out and no not all of a sudden more religious cause of what I saw on the screen, but as a Catholic the movie helped remind me of the weight of what Jesus went through for me and everybody else.

Originally posted by fliptoniaaa

useless movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

now the country is gonna go on a religious peak...just bcuz they saw a movie!!!!!!!!!!!! which keeps me believing that ...this country is full of a bunch of sheeeeeeeep!!!!!!!!!!! they believe what they see on t.v. and in hollywood...more than they believe in themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!

im allready hearing the poeple on talk shows...this movie makes me find my faith, and re affirms my faith......blah, blah, blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:werd:

Originally posted by sunnyhost

I said/say that because it is what I BELIEVE:rolleyes:

*I'm not knocking you sunnyhost, just agreeing with your above statement*

I believe I am the richest man on Earth...

Am I really? Maybe. If you are thinking in terms of "money", I am in no way rich. Now if you speak in other terms as in I am rich in friendship, quality of person, etc. then I believe I am. You may not think so, but I do. (We don't know each other, just trying to make a point ;) )

The point I am trying to make is everyone has beliefs out there. Just because you don't "believe" in one thing doesn't make you a bad person, or make you wrong or right. You believe it is right. More power to you. Enjoy what you believe. Just don't come to me expecting me to believe what you believe.

As for the movie, I would like to see it. Do I think it's a movie about "hate"? No. Some people wanna find a reason to hate on other people. Be it thru a movie, music, race, color, etc. It's sad....

Originally posted by livin42nite

Dude she did state she was catholic and thats how it went according to our beliefs, no need to hate and call her a sheep. Why so jumpy anyhow to make somebody feel like their beliefs are wrong. I saw this movie after waiting to see it for a long time, not because of the hype but I was actually interested in a mel gibson directed movie and more importantly a movie depicting the final hours of jesus. Not a sheep cause I went to watch this when it came out and no not all of a sudden more religious cause of what I saw on the screen, but as a Catholic the movie helped remind me of the weight of what Jesus went through for me and everybody else.

:aright:;)