Clubplanet Nightlife Community

House Music Sucks.

Nothing can put a crowd into slumber faster than house music or rohypnol -- and I don't like either. House music fans were few and far between at this year's Ultra. People graviated to trance, techno, and breaks.

Edgar V

Sounded as if he were personally reviving techno. Very nice set = Detroit sound with German flavor.

Oscar G

No comment.

Perry Farrel

Trainwrecked numerous times during his set and at one point had a mate comeover and mix a couple of tracks while he got his bearings straight. Horrible.

Way Out West

No comment. I made way for my cohorts and quickly went over to the main ampitheatre for a more agressive sound.

Junkie XL

One of his best live performances yet. Etheral and thought provoking with a violin fugue intro and outro and star-quality stage presence. Thumping beats and genre bending tunes do nothing short of making this guy likeable by everybody, considering he has remixed almost everybody who's anybody. Did I mention he played LOUD?

Tiesto

Aside from the sound getting cutoff during his second track, he trainwrecked only once, but gave a nice dishing of energetic melodic trance. Which raised spirits and got the crowd moving.

Paul Oakenfold

Flawless mixing, intuitive tweaking, no sound hiccups whatsover, the founder of Ultra (I always forget his name and I believe it was his brother -- the guy with the pony tail) came over to the sound engineer's booth where I was to catch some of the show. Albeit Oakey's set was dashed with acid tracks as well as commercial numbers, it just seemed to lack the hands-in-the air mentality of Tiesto's.

Chemical Brothers

Completely lame. This clearly should have been a live set and not a DJ set. They lost my vote.

Ferry Corsten

As predicted, he put people in a very upbeat mood. Staggering 140 beats, appregiated synth lines, and all around joy to watch spin because of his crowd participation and promotional activities ("Punk") he got the crowd chanting and singing along.

RITM

As usual, did nothing short of keep people with their jaws on the ground and photographers and filmakers scrambling to get a good shot.

Richie Hawtin initially stood on the side of the stage scratching his head and eventually going deeper backstage as Bunny paved the way for electronic groups everywhere.

As many of you know, this years Ultra was filmed for Pay-Per View distribution. The overall frenzie graviated towards the performances from people who know how to get crowds going and the traditionally house folks weren't doing it. The progressive tent was playing some nice tunes, but lacked, together with a better location, crowd energy. Don't get me wrong house sounds great when you're at home, or washing your car, but it truly sucks in a venue.

A recent scientifc study revealed that people dance more often, and for longer periods of time without sitting down, when beats per minute clock in at 138+. Slower beats make people want to relax or grab a drink.

The only thing that will save house music is live PAs.

Otherwise, it's dead.

:blown:

Even though there's been some bland House coming out recently, there's still some great stuff coming out as well. I wouldn't say House music sucks just b/c of one festival. You've got to put things into perspective.

A lot of the House fans don't even go to Ultra, they tend to go to a lot of the smaller parties, or to some of the big club nights.

You must also remember that Ultra is an all ages event, with many of those kids never having been to a club in Miami or other cities. Their tastes aren't always as mature or as sophisticated when compared to some of the people who you will run into at some of the House parties.

Just something to keep in mind from a fellow Trance head ;)

Guest saleen351

i'm gonna have to laugh with jimmy t aswell. This is easily the dumbest post ever on cp...

House production is on fire this past 12 months. Unstoppable choon after choon. House is finally back, and it's all nyc house. Jose, Harry, and Eric are leading the pack.

I dare anyone to find a better set than

1. Morillo on EM radio 1

2. Harry Choo Choo Romero Radio 1 E mix

3. oscar g valentines day at Space

Spinstar, i'm not gonna attack you with the whole trance vs house thing, i don't have to, beacause in a few years when you get older, you'll get house, some people just take longer than others, but your reviews sound like someone who is on a substance all day long. You want energy? PM me, i'll rattle off 50 tracks that will energize any venue, from a beach, to a club, to a lame ass event like ultra.

I have to agree, to a limited extent, walking around yesterday to a bunch of small free house parties I was thinking about how house music can be pretty damn boring sometimes

my high light of yesterday afternoon would have to be Sneak at the Brique Rouge party, this guy knows how to entertain a crowd, the other guys there played some very interesting music too, but at times it just got too interesting, as in not so fun...

Originally posted by mdamon7278

Yeah House and Saleen's posts always put me to sleep or I would be taking shits listening to it, LOLOL!!!

Damon 2.0

in the grand scope of things- history will forget all of the above music- it is repitious- and mostly boring-

Originally posted by saleen351

i'm gonna have to laugh with jimmy t aswell. This is easily the dumbest post ever on cp...

House production is on fire this past 12 months. Unstoppable choon after choon. House is finally back, and it's all nyc house. Jose, Harry, and Eric are leading the pack.

I dare anyone to find a better set than

1. Morillo on EM radio 1

2. Harry Choo Choo Romero Radio 1 E mix

3. oscar g valentines day at Space

Spinstar, i'm not gonna attack you with the whole trance vs house thing, i don't have to, beacause in a few years when you get older, you'll get house, some people just take longer than others, but your reviews sound like someone who is on a substance all day long. You want energy? PM me, i'll rattle off 50 tracks that will energize any venue, from a beach, to a club, to a lame ass event like ultra.

:lol3: I agree with Saleen except that house is not back only in NYC house flavor...

Mazi (Chicago) easily laid down one of the most phenomenal sets at Luna late last year. Chris Lum (SanFran) and Mark Grant (Chicago) have rocked Sonar recently. I could think of many more live sets that could tear NY house a new asshole (not that I have anything against Erick Morillo or Harry Romero).

:D:hat:

Let's not get personal mates about the age issues and such. Focus on musicianship and technical proficiency. Since most of you in here are aboslutely clueless about notation, musical scales, chordal progressions, and time signatures... I'l try to keep it as elementary as possible.

Downtempo music can be very entertaining if it is done right. House music in its most primitve form consists of primarily three things:

a standard 4/4 beat that goes on for about 7 minutes

(ocassionally muting the kick)

a bassline that rarely strays from a 4 measure length

a synthsized drone somewhere in the middle

an occassional voacal, but for the most part an organic feel and utilization of organic-sounding percussions and such.

Trance can build and offer a dynamic range reminiscent of the great composers. It offers sonic textures in its rhythms. The melodies change around and are not monotonic. And most of all the melodic structure is not restricted to 4 bar measure max.

I've been to Chicago, Detroit, LA, Washington, NY, of course, Miami. I have seen it all. I'm older than most of you, and have seen producers make house music when it was all we had. Unfortuntely, the bar has been raised and the 80s are over.

House music doesn't generate crowds. Nor do house CDs fare very well at sales counters. It doesn't compare.

Get off the band wagon, and the crack.

Originally posted by spinstar

Let's not get personal mates about the age issues and such. Focus on musicianship and technical proficiency. Since most of you in here are aboslutely clueless about notation, musical scales, chordal progressions, and time signatures... I'l try to keep it as elementary as possible.

Downtempo music can be very entertaining if it is done right. House music in its most primitve form consists of primarily three things:

a standard 4/4 beat that goes on for about 7 minutes

(ocassionally muting the kick)

a bassline that rarely strays from a 4 measure length

a synthsized drone somewhere in the middle

an occassional voacal, but for the most part an organic feel and utilization of organic-sounding percussions and such.

Trance can build and offer a dynamic range reminiscent of the great composers. It offers sonic textures in its rhythms. The melodies change around and are not monotonic. And most of all the melodic structure is not restricted to 4 bar measure max.

I've been to Chicago, Detroit, LA, Washington, NY, of course, Miami. I have seen it all. I'm older than most of you, and have seen producers make house music when it was all we had. Unfortuntely, the bar has been raised and the 80s are over.

House music doesn't generate crowds. Nor do house CDs fare very well at sales counters. It doesn't compare.

I've seen /heard more than you- youre analysis doesnt hold up in the real world professor

Name your largest venue, name your favorite house DJ, and I can name at least 5 trance DJs that will sell more advance tickets.

olive garden and dominoes pizza sell a lot of shit also- bfd-

I happen to like both Olive Garden and Dominos Pizza, as do some of the House DJs/ producers in case you were "cleverly" insinuating on cheese :)

As for Spinstar, there are classicaly trained producers in both the House and Trance fields.

I think if another Ultra were to be held during another timeframe, with the same lineup, but not during WMC week, then you'd see a stronger support for House.

Look at how many House music parties are held this year at the WMC versus how many Trance parties. Based on this twisted logic, your logic, it would appear Trance sucks and House is king...

Basically, if you're trying to convert people to hop on the Trance bandwagon your approach is all wrong.

I like them both, and if I'm forced to spend the rest of the year listening to just one genre, or one DJ, I think I'm in for a very boring year.

yikes. this thread is turning uglier by the minute.

im not the type to bash other genre's of muzik as opposed to let's say, the general populous on here.. but i will say this much. anyone who closes themselves off to a particular sound is dumb and also fail to see the grand scheme of things. anyone who technically bashes electronik muzik has really nothing better to do with himself.

what people fail to see is that this is a struggling industry in addition to being a small industry. there needs to be some kind of coherency to make it all survive.

that is all.

-d

BABBO is a fucking tool like the other's know's absolutely nothing about music you seriously need to shut your fucking mouth and stop playing tough guy behind the computer..............

SPINSTAR know's his shit whether you like it or not like myself he is oldschool and been in the game a long fucking time and was watching kat's drop vinyl when most of you were in your diaper's,so here we ago again with another House vs. TRANCE fucking thread...............

There are a select few "HOUSE"DJ'S that can completely sell out a venue but when the fuck have you seen an event that cater's to complete house head's where there are more than just a few thousand people????????

GOD'S KITCHEN,GATECRASHER,CREAMFIELDS,LIVERPOOL,Just a few venue's to name we are not here talking about packing a club like CROBAR or even SPACE for that matter that hold's a maximum capacity of a few thousand people if that..............................

Over the past few year's house music has definately had an impact on the scene but by no mean's can you fight the fact that TRANCE has and alway's will dominte the masses...................................

umm.. sounds more like you're on the bandwagon. Using cd sales and crowd numbers is a stupid way to prove which music is 'good'. You're musical analysis was also pointless... House grooves A LOT more than trance, it has stronger bass lines and a funky beat unlike the generic trance beat: bass..hi-hat..bass..hi-hat.. House is rhythm and beat oriented, which is why it has to stay solid throughout, where as Trance is based on melody. Anyway I like both trance and house, but you're dissing house for the wrong reasons. Chicago house is where its at, and also RHV's sets and cd's are always great, tho I haven't seen or heard from him in a while. House music doesn't suck :)

I'll have to agree with a lot of the comments made by spinstar, however, the statement that "house music sucks" is not one of the comments I really agree with. I thought the house tent was really ripping it up, and the disadvantage there was that there were to many people trying to get into the small tent. However, the comments referring to the lack of crowd enthusiasm in the house stage are hard to refute. For the times that I was in the house tent, I noticed that a lot of people were just standing there watching the lights and not dancing or anything. Maybe some people were just in the wrong tent at the wrong time I guess. All I can say is that James Holden had me moving to the beat when he was spinning :D

Although, I arrived too late to catch Edgar V, and the house tent was too full to even think about getting in when Oscar G was spinning, so I can't comment on their performances at ultra (although I'm sure they ripped it up).

However, like spinstar noted, Way Out West was a bit more downtempo, but still rather good. And of course, Tiesto ripped the crowd up really well :)

The chemical brothers didn't seem to really be my thing, so I went to catch some of the other performances.

Paul Oakenfold was a bit too downtempo for my liking as well.

Of course though, Ferry Corsten did very good with what little time he had. He had the entire crowd jumping with rock your body and digital punk :cool:

And as for Rabbit in the Moon.... *jaw hits floor* Definitely gets my vote for best visual performance at Ultra! The music really wierded me out, but the performance was nothing short of excellent.