Clubplanet Nightlife Community

advice?

hey. fairly aprehensive about posting this, but here goes. so, i'm very soon to be 23 years old. have danced maybe a half a dozen times and still haven't truly gotten the knack of it i'm sure, but i'm not busted so if ya can move around, do it, right? and i don't even do anything but drink, maybe smoke a joint (already had my fill of the rest)... and i love it! it's a great feeling to get off the work/school week and damn, you can watch from the dancefloor just as easily as from the bar. my point is... i have no one to go to clubs with. at all. i didn't dance around with my friends growing up because we'd headbanged and moshed, instead. do i go out by myself? do i beg people who aren't into it to go? do i write a classified ad for a friend who goes to clubs? damn it now, i know i'm not that much of a loser, so do i just keep downloading dejays this site (et al) recommends from napster and dancing alone in my room or what? i mean, i don't know if i'm even dancing correctly in any way, shape or form so how can i continue motivating myself? maybe sticking to the heavy metal and industrial is a good idea?

peace. cwm26.gif

------------------

have fun!

[This message has been edited by smile23 (edited 10-23-2000).]

Hey, dancing, especially in the clubs, is an expression......your own expression. There isn't a right and wrong way to dance....if you watched people dancing at clubs at all, I'm sure you notice that many people dance in many different styles.....whatever feels good to you.....Keep practicing because that is what makes you better.....you have to feel the music beyond just hearing it to dance really well.....Plus, don't worry about not being a great dancer at first, nobody at most clubs in this city are going to make fun.....if you wanna dance, do it.....I guarantee people in clubs will support you, not diss you......Keep practicing in your room, it's the best way to improve....Peace.

Mikey

------------------

"Music is life, take a pill and go beyond that...."

Exit Fridays, The World Saturdays -- PM me or email darrelg at Hazepromotions@gateway.net

please, i dance like a total jackass, but do you think i care???? i just love the music sooo much. i really don't give a howdie doodie what anyone thinks of the way i dance and neither should you!

------------------

jumpdei.gif Boink like a bunny!!!

i was into heavy metal, hardcore before i started going to raves. i didnt know how to dance at my first rave and what i did was i was just headbanging to the music. what kind of shit did you listen to? give me an email @ dennis@urban-assault.com or im me @ MrZimaNYHC

i used to be the most self concious person. when my friends would go to clubs, i wouldn't go b/c i "couldn't" dance. i missed out on alot of things b/c i thought i "couldn't" do them. then one night we went out, and i just started to dance. everyone does their own thing. personally, i don't think anyone even pays attention. as long as ur having fun, who cares? i may look like an idiot, but im always the one w/ the BIGGEST smile on my face, having the time of my life, dancing my little heart out.

cwm37.gif

HEy Smile!!! You don't have to stick to anything. Take me for example: When I go out, I listen Hip-Hop, Reggae, Latin, Rave, etc... Anything that I can dance to. At home, you will not find but 2 CD's that contain any of this music. I am a HUGE rock head. Now I don't know if you are a NIN fan, but their music incorporates a lot of beats into it. Look at the Right CD on The Fragile, or any of his remixes. They are very danceable (is that a word?). So do what ever you want but don't give up because you feel like you only know how dance a certain way. Dancing is easy and believe me, no one is ever watching. Unless you want to be seen of course. Keep an eye out for any posts about going out. If I say that I'm gonna be somewhere you are more than welcome to come along.

------------------

"Life is a drink... Don't guzzle it down, learn to savor every moment..."

ken98_2s.jpg

-Ricfutures

You should see me dance! I haven't a clue, but I couldn't care less. I'm out to have a good time, not to impress. If you're hitting a club like Vinyl or Twilo, it's perfectly OK to go alone. I know a lot of peole who do it, including myself. You don't have to go alone anymore because you can go to the club meetups! Go to Twilo this Friday, it's going to be great. There's a meetup in the power bar where most of us will be. Peace!

------------------

Too crazy for Boys Town, too much of a boy for Crazy Town.

Screw you guys, I'm going home......

Hey Smile...

Don't stress...when I went to my first party in '96, I didn't even really understand what the DJ's were doing! And I was so nervous for the first year of going to parties about dancing...but all of a sudden you just "get" it. And believe me, not a whole lot feels better than ripping shit up on the dance floor, and another people getting off on it.

Variety is the spice of life babes! Enjoy it!

wink.gif

nic212

------------------

HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG

only one solution: pick a night where folks here are meeting up and get your butt over there.

I go to clubs by myself all the time because most of my close friends aren't into it. Either I meet up with folks there (like from this list), or I meet new friends there...it's pretty easy if you're a woman because people feel more comfortable or safer approaching you. I just try to balance my club time and my friend time.

and please, have you ever really stood back and watched people at a club dance? like really watched them? for every 1 good dancer there are about 25 spazzes or people who aren't really moving.

most people are concerned with what they look like, but few people are actualy noticing...which means most people are so self-conscious that they're too busy worrying about themselves to notice anyone else. and the exception to this are the people who are too busy rocking out in the zone to notice anyone else.

and ask anyone who was at the twirl/twilo mixer about a month or so back...I don't dance *well*, I just dance. or more accurately, I jump & wiggle around. and would you believe people still talk to me? *w*

what does all this mean? relax! and shake your booty!

FG

------------------

nurturing the embers

Originally posted by uknjx2:

please, i dance like a total jackass, but do you think i care???? i just love the music sooo much. i really don't give a howdie doodie what anyone thinks of the way i dance and neither should you!

You know what your doing Damn it!! You're justing fishing for compliments Nikky! cwm27.gif

hey smile,

if u need people to hang with just go to some of the meetups that they have here and you'll meet tons of people...last meetup had 60 or so people from what i hear. or if youd like PM me and i'll let u know where me and my friends are hangin on weekends, youre more than invited to come....you can never have too many girls to go out!!! cwm12.gif

u should just come out when the crazy loonies from this board are getting togethere. after watching them dance, you'll feel like a pro! and you'll have people to hang out with. just gotta watch out for a few, they're a little, how you say, kookoo kookoo.

------------------

chronic is the answer...

Originally posted by Crackorn:

You should see me dance! I haven't a clue, but I couldn't care less. I'm out to have a good time, not to impress. If you're hitting a club like Vinyl or Twilo, it's perfectly OK to go alone. I know a lot of peole who do it, including myself. You don't have to go alone anymore because you can go to the club meetups! Go to Twilo this Friday, it's going to be great. There's a meetup in the power bar where most of us will be. Peace!

Wait a minute! I thought you got the funky fresh dope moves? Was I mistaken? cwm5.gif

Seriously smile, I hardly know what the hell I am doing on the dancefloor. I couldn't tell you one thing from the other. I am pretty quick learner and I always like to improvise. Just go where the music takes you and its all good. Hopefully we will see you Friday night @ Twilo.

Ciao,

~*Jam*~

------------------

...I can't see you, you can't see me! :) ...

Now I know this will make you feel better. I just turned 29 this month and went to my first club...are you ready for this...at the age of 28! Just this past January was the first time for me. Of course I'm hooked now! I had the same situation as you. I was into metal, industrial and alternative. Never hung out with a dancing kind of crowd. Now I can't imagine not dancing. I don't think I'm good at it but I don't care! I've had people tell me I am but I don't believe them!! It doesn't matter anyway. If you could see how happy I am when I'm at the club dancing...well, it's a sight to see!

The first night I went I was with a couple that I'm friends with and the guy had glowsticks. I think that really helped me to get into it. At first I wouldn't move unless I had sticks. I think they take the focus off your feet which is the scariest part when it comes to dancing. You can get away with mostly armwork when you have the sticks.

Now, it's all about bouncing to me!! I used to stay in one place and just kind of do the stick thing but I reached the point where I had to just start bouncing!

Like the others have said, go to one of the meetups you won't be disappointed!

------------------

blultbar.gif

A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to it's old dimensions.

~*~*~Don't use time or words carelessly, neither can be retrieved.~*~*~

Originally posted by dennisua:

i was into heavy metal, hardcore before i started going to raves. i didnt know how to dance at my first rave and what i did was i was just headbanging to the music. what kind of shit did you listen to? give me an email @ dennis@urban-assault.com or im me @ MrZimaNYHC

I grew up on NYHC too & still go to shows & dance it up (the whole NYHC windmillin', creepy crawlin' , ya know the deal). When I first started clubbin' I just tuned down my HC dancing/moshing.

------------------

"In the underground integrity lies within, in the underground image doesn't mean a thing."

"To dream of the person you want to be is to waste the person you are."

practice practice practice you'll be fine...once you get a semblance of a move you can quickly just absorb from those around you and after a year people start asking you for tips!

cwm30.gifcwm30.gif

------------------

hapfac01.gif coming soon to a dancefloor near you------------------> boa_boy@yahoo.com

Go with the flow. Let the music take you where you want to go, let yourself be carried away. Eventually your body will move and you won't even know whats going on-all of a sudden you will be just moving dancing. Just release-it is the best feeling in the world!

cwm38.gif

------------------

The music makes the people come together...

wow. you guys are awesome. cwm38.gif i'm so happy i wrote, and so psyched that i will be doing my thing on a dancefloor near you soon! so, if i got this right, twilo this friday should be chillin and saturday at tunnel? it is halloween weekend so a little dressin up is vital too! for real, everyone shows such support and love here... cwm28.gif big hugs, k! oh, and to comment a lil on some replies... nin is to die for, and at my first club mission i did use a little of the metal rhythm toned down to get me started, excellent! and now i just close my eyes and feel the powerful sounds of the music and go with the flow. i would say my problem area has to be my arms though. i will keep my eyes open for moves. i'm a spaz with the glowsticks unfortunately, but they are great. cwm26.gif i can't get over these smilie faces people! as soon as i get the chance i'll read more entries about this coming weekend and send those pm's. woohoo, thrilled i'm not alone out here! peace. cwm12.gif

------------------

have a very merry unbirthday =D

Archived