Clubplanet Nightlife Community

workout frequency

alright, what would everyone say the optimal workout frequency is (for individual muscles). currently, i hit every muscle group 3 times a week... is that too often? i've always been under the impression that it takes 2 days for muscles to regenerate, and that they begin to atrophy again after 72 hours or so...

i just wanted to ask because it seems when it comes to bodybuilding, most pros seem to only hit each muscle group once a week... im sure theres reasoning behind that, but could someone explain it?

Atrophy?... when was the last time you watched the Matrix...

No you shouldn't be working out each muscle group more than two time a week. The reason why pros work out once (bodypart) a week is due to the fact that they are working out at a much higher intensity than us and another huge reason is that you indirectly work out other muscles when you work out other body parts... To put this in english - when working out benching the barbell, you are incorporating your triceps and shoulders in the exercise. Now if you are working out three times a week - you are overtraining the muscle.

What are you goals. Are you training for athletic purposes or to build muscle???

If it is the latter, then work each body part only once per week. With the exception of abs or calves.

You only grow while resting, NOT TRAINING.

Keep in mind these pros are extremely genetically gifted along with tons of AAS and they need a full week to rest their muscles. Now, with that in mind, how long do you thing you need?

Nautica

Originally posted by fldomestic

Every muscle group once a week. It takes your body about a week to "put your muscle back together" in laymans terms. Sleep alot, add about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of mass and bam.. on your way to jacked

1.5 g of protien per pound of mass? i had been under the impression (from Men's Health) that bodybuilders should be taking in more like .8 a gram per pound (with non strength athletes need only .5 or so). And that taking in signifigantly more than that would just have the rest end up as fat... does a 190 pound guy really need 285 g of protein daily?

and my goals are more to build muscle than athletic

"Mens Health"??? The sub title should be a females guide to improve their man's body.

Yes, 285 g's. It is almost impossible to eat to much protein, unless, of course, you fat and carb intake is too high.

btw if you want to read "Men's Health", "flex", or sit down with a good "Victoria Secrets" that fine, but keep in mind that Magazines are written to make money. The articles are written to sell the magazine or sell a particular product. If they do get something right, it is by pure coincidence.

Nautica

Originally posted by dirtyepic18

1.5 g of protien per pound of mass? i had been under the impression (from Men's Health) that bodybuilders should be taking in more like .8 a gram per pound (with non strength athletes need only .5 or so). And that taking in signifigantly more than that would just have the rest end up as fat... does a 190 pound guy really need 285 g of protein daily?

and my goals are more to build muscle than athletic

i could be wrong, but are you shure they said per lbs or per kg? big diffrence

Originally posted by elitesnautica

1 to 1.5 gram per lb is about par for a body builder.

Nautica

im about 183 or so and i try to take in 235g of pro, 330 g of carbs, and about 80g of fat. trying to lean out for summer slowly (once it gets closer to summer im obviously going to drop the carbs to about 150-185 a day, but keep same fat and protein)

what you think??

Seems like you have the right idea, but I would adjust the diet so that the carbs were closer to the amount of proteins and then closer to summer drop the carbs a little more.

Make sure your fats are in the form of EFA's (olive oils, fish oils, flaxseed oils, ect.....)

Nautica