Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hardstyle?

bbbastard

When I lived in Holland I loved hardstyle for a while...

And I'm not talking hardhouse, I mean real hardstyle, Lady Dana, DJ Luna, Pavo, Technoboy etc...

It's great music to just dance to... or well, more like jump, but I got tired of it really quick. It's all pretty much the same riff and beat etc... But it would definitely spice things up in Miami a bit ;)

I have a good hard style,wanna see? :cool:

And yes we do need to have Edgar V play some after hours,you all know how I feel about the hardstlye wether its hard trance or techno.Edgar spins good @ crobar but for those that havent heard him for afterhours ,u just dont know. :updown:

Hardstyle seems to mainly be big in Holland with former Happy Hardcore and Dutch Hardhouse heads.

By Happy Hardcore I mean mid 90s Paul Elstak or Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo stuff. By Dutch Hard House, I'm talking about some of those insane records like The Crazy Drummer "Party Drumz" that came out between the late 90s to the early 2000s.

Italy seems to be the other country where Hardstyle is big, and is mainly being produced by former Hard trance DJs like DJ Vortex. Anyone remember DJ Vortex "Incoming" ?

In Germany Hardstyle has somewhat of a smaller fanbase, though there are quite a few German Hardstyle producers (mostly former Hard trance producers). Basically in 2000-2001 everyone in Germany was copying the sound of Hennes & Cold "Second Trip", Scot Project "Overdrive", Cosmic Gate's "Fire Wire", Kai Tracid records, etc. By the end of 2002 there was a growing split between older German Trance producers who started shying away from the harder sounds, while new producers were taking German Hardtrance into a very Poppy direction using 80s remakes (ie Staccato, Rocco, etc.), and while another set of new producers started making the same type of easy Hardstyle records that Holland was coming out with. Basically the German and Italian Hardstyle scenes started out around the same time, but while in Germany most of the Trance DJs went back either in a PVD Trance direction, or a poppier Euro-Trance direction, in Italy the Hardstyle scene started overtaking the local Trance scene, along with Picotto style Techno (Joy Kitikonti, Mario Piu, etc.). Obviously there's still some quality Trance in Italy by the likes of Nu NRG, or Max Savietto.

I guess Hardstyle hasn't really taken off in England yet, b/c UK Hardhouse (BK, Lisa Lashes, Anne Savage, Nick Sentience, etc.) is still very popular there, while Party Techno, which is the style Fergie and DJ Montana (yes, Tiesto's good friend from Holland) are known for, is also pretty big.

To be honest with you, like that girl from Holland said, Hardstyle gets boring real quick. There's only a handful of DJs, such as Lady Dana, that can turn out a decent Hardstyle set. Like Koky wrote, Hardstyle is mainly big with the younger crowds, ie those under 18 year olds that attend the big Dutch festivals, and those 16-19 year old Dutch kids who are still somewhat new to the club scene.

In Germany DJ Dean is known for playing some Hardstyle at his Tunnel residency in Hamburg, but his sets are usually very long in which he'll play some very COMMERCIAL Vocal Euro Trance, some quality Trance, a bit of Tech, some Hardstyle, and more.

I kinda doubt Hardstyle will make it big in America for the following reasons:

1) UK Hardhouse has yet to really make it big in America, and that style is MUCH more accessible than Hardstyle

2) There wasn't a big Happy Hardcore (early Scooter, Ultra Sonic, Dune, Ravers Nature, old Carl Cox, RMB, Hixx & Trixxy, etc. even some Prodigy records border on it) American fanbase while that style was huge in Europe in the mid 90s. In fact, most of America's young Ravers (remember when there were candy kid ravers? LOL) , especially on the West Coast, only took notice of Happy Hardcore in the late 90s when it was already proclaimed dead in Europe.

CHRles, I must say I agree with most of what you have said...

I must also admit that most americans I have spoken to about hardstyle don't actually know the difference between UK Hardhouse, Hard techno and Hardstyle... So you did a great job defining them....

It surprises me that UK Hardhouse hasn't yet become popular in the states. I know Lisa Lashes spun here for Conference, but if a lot of people went, I'm not sure... Many people don't really differentiate between Hardtrance and UK Hardhouse so I would assume that it would be popular here, but I guess the sound just hasn't been picked up and promoted by many dj's in this part of the world.

However, I wouldn't really compare hardstyle to happy hardcore, hardstyle is much darker... I guess if you took the "cheese factor" out of most of the happy hardcore and come to the basis, known as Gabber or just regular hardcore or terror, then you can find the core of hardstyle... Consequentially, with the "dying down" of happy hardcore many of the former HH dj's now spin hardstyle... ex. Lady dana ;)

Hardstyle is definetly not for Divas or Lamers thats for sure . And i admire girls who are into that genre of music ...fast paced , banging music & women is simple irresitable .

Hun, you'd be surprised... In holland you have those types with high heels and little designer purses who just stand around at hardstyle events... feel like kicking them sometimes... hehehe

But hardstyle is definitely not for lamers no, I've had friends yell at me for dragging them to hardstyle parties when they were expecting cheesy trance or something hehehe.... :bounce::bounce:

Anyone know where I can go in Miami to listen to some good hardstyle. Just got back from Italy and I was wondering if any club plays this type of music here.

Just came back from Italy about a month ago and didn't hear anything resembling anything even close to hard there. I'm just curious what clubs did you hear this music at.

Do you guys know of any dj stores in S. FL that sale Hardstyle?

Importing those records is getting WAY to expensive!

If your getting hardstyle records in south florida you're most probably paying import prices .

here's a good alternative ...TUNNELAMERICA.COM

If your getting hardstyle records in south florida you're most probably paying import prices .

here's a good alternative ...TUNNELAMERICA.COM

That site is cool ....but I need vinyl:)

btw,

Ringmastercrew let us know next time your friends are playing out.

A lot of people dont know about hardstyle in Miami even though they probably HAVE heard it, but confused it with hard trance.

Think of Cosmic Gate, Voodoo & Serrano or even Space Brothers:

hard hitting bass with less anthem breakdowns & more of a vocoder feeling.

Want a sample? Listen to an 'oldie' but goodie: Second Trip (Scott Project Remix)

This is a sound definitely NOT for the house heads, trancy but hard - balls to the walls.

Usually it's spun anywhere from 145-155 BPM, very popular with candy kids and newbies to trance that dont know any better.

Would it take off in MIA?? Dont know! :idea:

Miami is a trend follower...not a leader...

I think Miami needs fresh new sounds, and people to be more open minded & creative

to bring what I call: the 'OH SHYT FACTOR' back into the crowds.

That's my 2 cents..............................50 is a bitch!

:spin: