Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ARE DJs JUST PEOPLE THAT DIDN'T HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE IT IN A REAL MUSIC WORLD??

BEFORE ANYONE RESPONDS I JUST WANNA SAY THAT I'M NOT TRYING TO START ANY SHIT OVER HERE. IT IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION THAT DJ'S ARE PEOPLE THAT DID NOT HAVE THE TALENT TO MAKE IT IN A REAL MUSIC WORLD (POP, RAP, METAL, ETC) FOR WHATEVER REASONS (TALENT, LACK OF CHARISMA, SHOWSMANSHIP, ETC) SO THEY TURNED TO DJING. I THINK IF YOU THINK HARD ENOUGH, IT'S A LOT EASIER TO BECOME A SUCCESSFUL DJ THAN TO BECOME A BEST SELLING POP STAR!

there are easily more best selling pop stars than successful djs in america.... Id saythere are only about 20 DJs in America who make over 50 grand a year spinning.... there are wat more rock and rap acts than that....

and who says rap takes talent anyway?? just a question lol

------------------

This week's gigs:

Friday Oct 27th - Undecided

Saturday Oct 28th - Hofstra USA, Long Island

Saturday Oct 28th - 92.7 & 98.5 FM (3-5am)

www.djrussreign.com

NY METS 2000 NL CHAMPS!

Most of the top/world-class DJs are msuic artists as well...IMO DJs are more talented than just these text-book formula artists that exist nowadays.

------------------

Music saved my soul!

Thank GAWD for Twilo!

[This message has been edited by raver_mania (edited 10-30-2000).]

Originally posted by bastardino:

BEFORE ANYONE RESPONDS I JUST WANNA SAY THAT I'M NOT TRYING TO START ANY SHIT OVER HERE. IT IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION THAT DJ'S ARE PEOPLE THAT DID NOT HAVE THE TALENT TO MAKE IT IN A REAL MUSIC WORLD (POP, RAP, METAL, ETC) FOR WHATEVER REASONS (TALENT, LACK OF CHARISMA, SHOWSMANSHIP, ETC) SO THEY TURNED TO DJING. I THINK IF YOU THINK HARD ENOUGH, IT'S A LOT EASIER TO BECOME A SUCCESSFUL DJ THAN TO BECOME A BEST SELLING POP STAR!

Lets see it takes talent to DJ, you have to have charisma...you need to still do interviews, meet with owners, and be nice to fans, etc...Showmanship, you still need an act, it's a different form of an act but still you need to put on a show.

It is just as hard, look at how many DJ's actually make it to an Oakie, Pvd, S&D , DT kind of level...not many, it actually is harder for a DJ to get the big gig than a pop star to have a #1 hit...especially since these pop stars ala Hitme Spears, Backdoor Boys, Out of sync, are all marketing and have tons of other people writing their tracks for them. One hit wonders...name 30 bands that are in that category...how many DJ's can be considered on hit wonders...none, cause a DJ doenst get a #1 hit then disappear, they either make it or they don't, they don't get the fame from one night/song.

That's my brief synopsous... I won't get into it any further cause I will start turning this post inside out....this is along the lines of "Those who can't...teach" which I don't agree with either.

- Peter

cool.gif

------------------

------------------------

flash.gif

Hell no. Many NYC DJ's are highly sought after as producers for pop songs.

Junior Vasquez

Danny Tenaglia

Johnny Vicious

Hex Hector

Victor Calderone

even Plasmic Honey nowadays

These and many more get lots of work from the big record companies, in addition to their (better) underground stuff.

Originally posted by bastardino:

Your kidding right? Do you think that most of todays Pop stars have ANY talent whatsoever?? These prepackaged bullshit bubble gum pop groups are all spoon fed lyrics, dance moves, clothes, vocal lessons and everything else you know about them. Talk about lack of talent, charisma and showmanship, these people not only have none themselves, but are told by other people what to do in order to give the appearance that they have any personality. In my opinion the only thing worse than having no personality is having to use one scripted for you.

------------------

The fame, it was like a drug......but what was more like a drug were the drugs.

depends on what type of dj...

almost any dj in our scene has more talent than most pop stars (with making music). you have to be a mathematician to orchestrate a mix. (and many of these djs make their own music too, which in some cases is much more emotional and related to classical music than a pop star's cheez.) (examples: BT, Hybrid, Moby, etc...)

wedding and bar mitzvah djs don't count.

And singers with excellent vocal skills are still highly regarded musicians in my book, but currently there are only a handful that aren't electronically altered.

Still gotta give tons of respect to Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, and Natalie Merchant for being incredibly talented. A good dj/ remixer sometimes uses their vocals to create even better remixes than their original songs.

Yea, I heard in the early 90's Carl Cox, Paul Oakenfold, Paul Van Dyk, Sasha, and John Digweed were supposed to be the next New Kids on the Block........it didn't work out because "they lacked charisma" so now they all had to settle as just petty DJs.......Some people......WTF!!!!!

Mikey

------------------

"Music is life, live for the weekend....."

well think about this.....if a dj screws up once during a set, that's all anybody is gonna remember about that entire set, which can often last twice to three times the length of a pop music show. talk about pressure!

------------------

and on the 6th night god said "let there be trance, and dancing!" and on the 7th day he rested and it was damn good

It's all for the love of music. Some people pick up a guitar, drumstix, keyboard to touch the music. Some people like myself picked up vinyl and felt the music.

Picture this - You're playing a song that is incredible and look out the window and there is a few hundred to a few thousand people who are enjoying that song just like you are.

Then it skips and you're a piece of fucking shit and they hate you. cwm39.gif

------------------

He who farts in church - Sits in his own Pew

Whatever,

I love what I do.

I do it with a passion and for the love of music.

I chose to do it.

I make more money spinning 2 nights, then most people do working 40 hours a week, waking up at 5am and getting home at 8pm (I'm not saying I'm better than anyone).

Not everybody can be a dj, just like not everybody can play the "GUITAR ON MTV". It takes just as much skill to program and sequence your music. Being able to mix it is only half the battle...

And I get to sleep and party all week while bastardino sits there with his 4" cock in his hands thinking of what stupidity to write next.

Ignore this semimoronic boob, and he will go away from our board.

cwm42.gif

------------------

Don't call me baby...

hmmmm what the hell doies that mean ?? i'd say most DJs never want to make it in the " music world " ... or the " music world" you are thinking of anyway otherwise they would have bought an electric guitar or drum set instead of turntable .. any good dj practiced their skill as much as any other musician .. and many of them prob consider their turntables , their instrument . they are djs cuz they wanted to be djs... that like saying you think this guy is a cab driver because he didnt have what it takes to be a bus driver ?? or something retarded along those lines ...

his post should be bumped to "the land of unloved posts" board ...

ps - i am not a dj

------------------

header_mockup_r1_c3.gif

Originally posted by p00h:

are idiots people who didnt have enough brains to make it in the real world?

and are bastards people who didnt have enough parents to be classified as real children?

p00h: you crack me up.

------------------

Revenge is a dish best served with an appetizer of whoop-ass.

the topic of this thread makes no sense but in response to russ

Originally posted by russ reign:

20 DJs in America who make over 50 grand a year spinning....

there are definitly WAY MORE THAN 20

a lot of Djays are over paid...

Theo from LA (freecloud records) gets around 500 dollars a gig in the states

God knows what he gets when he flys overseas (god knows why? but he gets jobs in Amseterdam and the Netherlands)

and he is booked up with 2 or 3 gigs a week easy all along the mid west

actually all those Freecloud freaks has bookings like that

on top of that Ron D core gets about 1500 dollars and Simply Jeff gets about the same

D Core is worth it though

Then we have the New York Degeneretes at Sonic Groove... j/k hehe

------------------

BeatBanditsgif.gif

A crowd of 15,000 had gathered to protest the war at the Oakland Army Terminal. The Angels, in show of patriotism, attack the protesters and end up breaking a cop's leg. The Angels later send a telegram to President Johnson saying they are willing to be "a crack group of trained gorillas behind enemy lines in Viet Nam."

HST 67

I used to think the same think about DJs before I started spinning: "Where's the talent in playing other people's music?" I had been producing for a while, so I had developed a bit of a snobby opinion. But then when I started going out to parties, I found myself so incredibly moved by some of the DJs that I heard. I wanted to be able to create that feeling for other people. So, I started to learn how to spin in addition to my production work, and I found that they were excellent complements to each other. Spinning parties and exposing myself to new music had a tremendous impact on the quality of my production--I learned how to improve the structure of my songs and how to create songs that really moved people.

I think that most people who DJ do it because they love it, not because they think it's the easy way out. Believe me, making money as a DJ is just as difficult as making money as a producer. And as long as people are happy doing what they're doing, why shit on their parade?

Peace,

David Christopher

HeadRush Music

Ok first what is this "Real Music World"

I think DJ are the ones playing the "Real" music, pop stars come and go they are product of the record comapanies. DJs are masters of their own domain and they create the world and not conforming to the trend. Also if they don't play real music then why are more and more "Pop Artists" requesting the DJ to remix their stuff eg. Moby on every major artist, Junior Vasquez and Sasha remixing Madonna, Paul Okenfold touring with U2...etc.

I think if you are not selling our then then you are in the Real World of Mucis.

Peace to the underground DJs of the world!