Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A message from a concerned clubber...

philippio

A big clubbing night is rapidly approaching... This coming saturday, XESS Chicago is testing the grounds of Miami's house scene by bringing us a very special treat... Frankie Knuckles!!! If the party is a success and draws in a big crowd, the promoters will definitely continue bringing in highly coveted real house talent. Meanwhile, the folks at Club Space decided it would be fun (and very beneficial to Miami's fickle house scene) to bring Paul Oakenfold and Hernan Cattaneo alongside Murk to perform on the same night in question, May 22nd. By allowing Cattaneo to open for Oakenfold's marathon 2 hour set, Space believes they are making a worthwhile contribution to house music (or something along those lines) :rolleyes:

What they may not realize, is while their Mickey Mouse club will draw in a huge crowd of clueless Perfecto clan admirers who are willing to pay $35 to listen to a load of overplayed Perfecto anthems, XESS Chicago will be evaluating the dedication of Miami clubbers to real house music. If this event goes smoothly and draws in a big crowd, XESS may very likely return with more uncompromised talent. So if you care enough about Miami's house scene and are willing to forego a Club Space outing for just one night so that you can listen to someone who put house music on the map, then for the love of house music, support Frankie Knuckles and the extremely capable and forward-thinking promoters who are bringing him to Miami!!! :D Or, if you can't live a saturday without your injection of Space poison, at least make an effort to show up to both venues!!! :D Thank you and have a nice day! :bowdown:

Woo...I thought you were gonna get a little nasty...but for the most part you kept it respectable. Its time we lay this to rest and let what is going to happen....happen. I have confidence that Frankie will have a good turnout in spite of "spacefest".

I posted this over at CJ:

Here's a list of the talent that they have had over just the last 2 years:

Derrick Carter

DJ Heather

Johnny Fiasco

Lego

Greenskeepers

Lady D

DJ Jazzy Jeff

Boy George

Jason Hodges

Luke Solomon

Miss Honey Dijon

Mark Grant

Terry Hunter

Lance Desardi

Dizzy

DJ Mes

Demarkis Lewis

Urban Jazz Naturals

Natural Rhythm

JT Donaldson

CeCe Peniston

Dajae

Ron Carroll

Slater Hogan & John Larner

Paul Johnson & Paul Anthony

Gene Farris

Tony Humphries

Stacy Kidd

John Curley

Yousef

Collete

Iz & Diz

Heather Doble

Rick Garcia

Eddie Amador

Nique

Tim Shumaker

DJ Rush

Farley Jackmaster Funk

Frankie Knuckles

Garth & Jeno

Mark and Karl Almaria

Angel Alanis

Pat Nice

Justin Long and Dan X

Joe Claussell

Biz Markie

Mike Dixon

Mark Farina

J Dub

8fatfat8

Janel Roland

Steve Silk Hurley

Hatiras

DJ Sneak

Pound Boys

Oliver Desmet

Tim Deluxe

Brett Johnson

Lawnchair Generals

Jon Cutler & E-man

Jojo Flores

Tony Senghore

Mateo & Matos

Kaskade

John Howard

Kevin Yost

Juan Atkins

Kenny Dope

Roy Davis Jr.

East Coast Boogiemen

Swirl People

Inland Knights

Wally Callerio

Chris Lum & Jay-J

Marques Wyatt

H-Foundation

Pete Moss

Goldie

David Alvarado

Doc Martin

Dayhota

David Harness

Tommie Sunshine

Donald Glaude

Bear Who?

The Pound Boys

Layo & Bushwacka

PVD/Oakenfold/Liquid Todd

Danny Howells

John Lemmon

Tell me these cats can't show Miami something they have never seen before?

Sick List Lyrik! some of those cats have been in Orlando or in the South Florida area at one point or another. BUT I'd love to see a more frequent visit from those on that list!!!

Lay this to rest It doesn't really matter if you beg plead, etc etc to anyone about going to one place or another.

Fact is whoever's going to Frankie is going to Frankie and those going to see Oakie are going to see Oakie.

I think because of the fact you have the 2 parties in one night, that most people that love both artists will go to both.

on that note this is not going to be the last time that 2 clubs will have big shows on the same night. It happens in every city that has a night life.

Usually we would hope to think that promoters and clubs would be on the same page and not book big parties on the same night. BUT THAT is never the case. Each and every club needs to make money to pay their bills. If they find out there's a big party coming they have every right to counter the party with their own party.

at least it's 2 different styles of House Music. the General public will decide which one they'll be at!!

Peace,

Don't make me breakout the Aquabooty list. No name droppin' here.

I absolutely will be out for Mr Knucles after we finish up with Norman Jay @ The Delano. I'm sure Norman will also go hear Mr Knucles when he is finished as they have been friends and colleagues for over 20 years.

2 men, over 40 years of dj experience.

Most people on this board are Space heads. Let them hear the same ass shit they always hear. They do not understand the masses are missing so much.

For those in the know, Jay and Knucles. No one comes even close.

I really hope these Chicago cats know how to promote locally. I guess we'll see this Saturday. Aquabooty will represent.

Peace

jb

I absolutely will be out for Mr Knucles after we finish up with Norman Jay @ The Delano. I'm sure Norman will also go hear Mr Knucles when he is finished as they have been friends and colleagues for over 20 years.

Most people on this board are Space heads. Let them hear the same ass shit they always hear. They do not understand the masses are missing so much.

I really hope these Chicago cats know how to promote locally. I guess we'll see this Saturday. Aquabooty will represent.

Peace

jb

Ah Joe you know we have love for what Aquabooty does for us. My intention was to only show the consistent bookings these guys have had over just the last 2 years up there....and one of the great things is they don't repeat the same bookings year in and year out...they may have the same guests back (mostly chicago jocks because its chicago), but they always have new talent coming in...keeping it fresh...unlike some of the bigger establishments down here that are content to book the same 10 DJs every year. I have always said promotion as a whole down here lacks...these guys know what they are doing.

Peace

jb

:jacked: But I don't care! If it's about house music, it's relevant and I want to read it! :D

Okay, that's it. I can't take anymore of this "Real House" propoganda.

Sorry, but Knuckles set is too damn slow for me. I was going to possibly check it out, but after reading the posts from the past few days I feel like vomitting instead.

I'd much rather go see Oakenfold who's set will contain REAL PROGRESSIVE HOUSE records of the type John Digweed and Markus Schulz plays, as well as QUALITY TRANCE of the type Tiesto and Armin Van Buuren drop.

Furthermore, Cattaneo will be there for more good Progressive, as well as Murk who's brand of House is much more to my liking then Knuckles.

Murk's style of House music is just as authentic to me as Chicago House. In fact, it's more innovative and fresh in my opinion. It's not always as slow, doesn't lean as much on 70s Disco anthems, etc. Too many of the oldschool House legends like Blaze were actually better when they were more commercial sounding in the early 90s. Now they've tried to go back to an early 80s House sound. Well, we're in the year 2004, not 1984, and I don't want to spend a night listening to nothing but early 80s style House.

As for the whole drugs comments with Oakie, please you hypocrites. The drug problems started in the early 80s in the New York and Chicago House clubs.

It's interesting to note that most of America didn't even know about House music until guys like Oakenfold started making House popular in England.

Basically what happened was DJ Armando (or some similar name) from Ibiza was in Chicago at one point in the mid 80s. He brought House music to Ibiza before the baleric island was all that famous, and yet DJs like Oakenfold were there to enjoy the music. It was Oakenfold's passion, his and that of his friends, that gave House music some real exposure in the UK, and then in America.

Oakenfold was SMART enough to then embrace genres like Progressive House and Trance, unlike most of America's pioneering House DJs. Oakenfold kept an OPEN MIND, which is more than I can say for most of America's DJ heroes. Oakenfold was also part of New York's club scene in the 70s so he's seen and done it all.

Not his fault that he's a brilliant businessman, who knows how to promote himself, how to help produce good diverse music (House, Trance, Breaks, Progressive, Goa, etc.), and to build up a set properly. His mixing skills these days aren't quite as good as they used to be, but I still find his style more enjoyable than that of many other DJs.

In closing, I'm gonna support what I like, and I'm not gonna give a crap about this overhyped "Save Real House" brainwash.

PS Knuckles is a great DJ and definitely worth checking out, but the DJs at Space are just as good IMO.

A big clubbing night is rapidly approaching... This coming saturday, XESS Chicago is testing the grounds of Miami's house scene by bringing us a very special treat... Frankie Knuckles!!! If the party is a success and draws in a big crowd, the promoters will definitely continue bringing in highly coveted real house talent. Meanwhile, the folks at Club Space decided it would be fun (and very beneficial to Miami's fickle house scene) to bring Paul Oakenfold and Hernan Cattaneo alongside Murk to perform on the same night in question, May 22nd. By allowing Cattaneo to open for Oakenfold's marathon 2 hour set, Space believes they are making a worthwhile contribution to house music (or something along those lines) :rolleyes:

What they may not realize, is while their Mickey Mouse club will draw in a huge crowd of clueless Perfecto clan admirers who are willing to pay $35 to listen to a load of overplayed Perfecto anthems, XESS Chicago will be evaluating the dedication of Miami clubbers to real house music. If this event goes smoothly and draws in a big crowd, XESS may very likely return with more uncompromised talent. So if you care enough about Miami's house scene and are willing to forego a Club Space outing for just one night so that you can listen to someone who put house music on the map, then for the love of house music, support Frankie Knuckles and the extremely capable and forward-thinking promoters who are bringing him to Miami!!! Or, if you can't live a saturday without your injection of Space poison, at least make an effort to show up to both venues!!! Thank you and have a nice day! :bowdown:

I can't believe i'm going to say this but you should not criticize the ppl who like going to Space ( to each his own ) Noone really bashes us on this board for liking house music babe.... I myself am not a big Space fan but i'm not going to lie, If it wasn't for Oakie ( and going to space back in the good ol' days ) I wouldn't be into our scene ( house )...... So lets keep things cute ok baby.... :makeout:

Space> ROCK ON..... :aright::rock:

Okay, that's it. I can't take anymore of this "Real House" propoganda.

Sorry, but Knuckles set is too damn slow for me. I was going to possibly check it out, but after reading the posts from the past few days I feel like vomitting instead.

I'd much rather go see Oakenfold who's set will contain REAL PROGRESSIVE HOUSE records of the type John Digweed and Markus Schulz plays, as well as QUALITY TRANCE of the type Tiesto and Armin Van Buuren drop.

Furthermore, Cattaneo will be there for more good Progressive, as well as Murk who's brand of House is much more to my liking then Knuckles.

Murk's style of House music is just as authentic to me as Chicago House. In fact, it's more innovative and fresh in my opinion. It's not always as slow, doesn't lean as much on 70s Disco anthems, etc. Too many of the oldschool House legends like Blaze were actually better when they were more commercial sounding in the early 90s. Now they've tried to go back to an early 80s House sound. Well, we're in the year 2004, not 1984, and I don't want to spend a night listening to nothing but early 80s style House.

As for the whole drugs comments with Oakie, please you hypocrites. The drug problems started in the early 80s in the New York and Chicago House clubs.

It's interesting to note that most of America didn't even know about House music until guys like Oakenfold started making House popular in England.

Basically what happened was DJ Armando (or some similar name) from Ibiza was in Chicago at one point in the mid 80s. He brought House music to Ibiza before the baleric island was all that famous, and yet DJs like Oakenfold were there to enjoy the music. It was Oakenfold's passion, his and that of his friends, that gave House music some real exposure in the UK, and then in America.

Oakenfold was SMART enough to then embrace genres like Progressive House and Trance, unlike most of America's pioneering House DJs. Oakenfold kept an OPEN MIND, which is more than I can say for most of America's DJ heroes. Oakenfold was also part of New York's club scene in the 70s so he's seen and done it all.

Not his fault that he's a brilliant businessman, who knows how to promote himself, how to help produce good diverse music (House, Trance, Breaks, Progressive, Goa, etc.), and to build up a set properly. His mixing skills these days aren't quite as good as they used to be, but I still find his style more enjoyable than that of many other DJs.

In closing, I'm gonna support what I like, and I'm not gonna give a crap about this overhyped "Save Real House" brainwash.

PS Knuckles is a great DJ and definitely worth checking out, but the DJs at Space are just as good IMO.

:shaky: Like I said earlier...its time to just give this a rest...with that I have no comment other than check your history and disregard your own bias....you don't know house if you think Oakenfold popularized it here in America...I take that as an insult because Oakenfold in my biased opinion don't know shite about house and what its all about...and further more you have NO CLUE ABOUT CHICAGO HOUSE if you think Chicago house of today is slow and dependent on disco of the 70's. BTW Armando is from Chicago and maybe Miami didn't know about progressive trance/house until Oakenfold...but Chicago, NYC, LA, San Fran and a lot of other places were very much aware of HOUSE before him. You usually have good thoughts on subjects like this, but the comment about house in Chicago just shows me really have no real idea on what your are saying and probably trying to base your opinion on things you have read or seen in documentaries or movies....sorry I grew up in Chicago I know first hand how the house scene is there. Chicago house has so much diverse talent and has a broad spectrum of house that generalizing it is a scene that is dependent on disco anthems couldn't be anything further from the truth. Check CZR, Derrick Carter, Terrri and Physco Bitch, Cajmere/Green Velvet, Mark Farina, DJ Heather, Paul Johnson, Paul Anthony, Diz, Justin Long...and then tell me Chicago is disco-anthemed-based house in general...if anything Chicago is home to the most diverse and fresh REAL HOUSE... no other labels, but just good ole HOUSE, out there.

:shaky: Like I said earlier...its time to just give this a rest...with that I have no comment other than check your history and disregard your own bias....you don't know house if you think Oakenfold popularized it here in America...I take that as an insult because Oakenfold in my biased opinion don't know shite about house and what its all about...and further more you have NO CLUE ABOUT CHICAGO HOUSE if you think Chicago house of today is slow and dependent on disco of the 70's. BTW Armando is from Chicago and maybe Miami didn't know about progressive trance/house until Oakenfold...but Chicago, NYC, LA, San Fran and a lot of other places were very much aware of HOUSE before him. You usually have good thoughts on subjects like this, but the comment about house in Chicago just shows me really have no real idea on what your are saying and probably trying to base your opinion on things you have read or seen in documentaries or movies....sorry I grew up in Chicago I know first hand how the house scene is there. Chicago house has so much diverse talent and has a broad spectrum of house that generalizing it is a scene that is dependent on disco anthems couldn't be anything further from the truth. Check CZR, Derrick Carter, Terrri and Physco Bitch, Cajmere/Green Velvet, Mark Farina, DJ Heather, Paul Johnson, Paul Anthony, Diz, Justin Long...and then tell me Chicago is disco-anthemed-based house in general...if anything Chicago is home to the most diverse and fresh REAL HOUSE... no other labels, but just good ole HOUSE, out there.

:jawdrop::woah:

I can't believe i'm going to say this but you should not criticize the ppl who like going to Space ( to each his own ) Noone really bashes us on this board for liking house music babe.... I myself am not a big Space fan but i'm not going to lie, If it wasn't for Oakie ( and going to space back in the good ol' days ) I wouldn't be into our scene ( house )...... So lets keep things cute ok baby.... :makeout:

Space> ROCK ON..... :aright::rock:

Ok, but if people are going to criticize my taste in music (saying that deep house, funky house etc. is boring, generic and all those other comments), you can bet your ass I'm gonna reply. I used to go to Space back in the good ole days too. I gave up on it. I was impressed by Oakenfold once... before he sold out and started commercializing what was once his take on acid house! And that's my take on keeping things cute :makeout::love:

I was impressed by Oakenfold once... before he sold out and started commercializing what was once his take on acid house!

But that's the path he chose ( it is where the $$$$$$$$$ is imo ) Like I said; to each his own.... But you know I still lovessssss you. :makeout:

Look Lyrik, if it was Green Velvet or Derrick Carter, or Psychobitch and Terri then it definitely would not be too slow for me. I'm also very much into Chicago's Steve Smooth and Bad Boy Bill.

Knuckles style these days is nice, but for my personal taste is a bit too loungy/mellow...just like some of the current sets by Masters At Work. Again, good music, and good legendary DJs, but I also enjoy some faster BPM records you know?

I'm not going to lie. My taste is probably more commercial in nature then yours. I probably would have enjoyed Knuckles more in the 90s when he was remixing Mariah and other big Pop artists, just like New York's legendary DJs David Morales and Todd Terry have done.

It's also not fair to make Space appear to be deliberately trying to sabotage Knuckles night. Like others have said, it's a different type of House music, and besides Space always tries to bring in big names. A venue that size, that focuses mainly on Dance and not Hip Hop, that can hold 2000-3000 people, has to do so in todays climate.

A venue that can hold 300-500 people can afford to take more risks by bringing in other DJs.

Look Lyrik, if it was Green Velvet or Derrick Carter, or Psychobitch and Terri then it definitely would not be too slow for me. I'm also very much into Chicago's Steve Smooth and Bad Boy Bill.

Knuckles style these days is nice, but for my personal taste is a bit too loungy/mellow...just like some of the current sets by Masters At Work. Again, good music, and good legendary DJs, but I also enjoy some faster BPM records you know?

I'm not going to lie. My taste is probably more commercial in nature then yours. I probably would have enjoyed Knuckles more in the 90s when he was remixing Mariah and other big Pop artists, just like New York's legendary DJs David Morales and Todd Terry have done.

It's also not fair to make Space appear to be deliberately trying to sabotage Knuckles night. Like others have said, it's a different type of House music, and besides Space always tries to bring in big names. A venue that size, that focuses mainly on Dance and not Hip Hop, that can hold 2000-3000 people, has to do so in todays climate.

A venue that can hold 300-500 people can afford to take more risks by bringing in other DJs.

Now thats a good point, well said. You see I knew you didn't really think it was it all about disco! Honestly Frankie's usual sound isn't the type of house I get into on a regular basis. I am going because I want to show respect to the man that had a big hand in cementing the foundation of our culture....and I have a feeling he is going to come a little more funky and harder than he usually spins ;) I also want to support these guys from Chicago because I am a house music lover and the plans these guys have lined up for talent are going to offer Miami some DJs and acts they have never seen before outside of conference. I agree its time to just kill all this back and forth shit and let people do what they are going to do. I think the Frankie party will go over very well and hope their next one with Armand has even more success...truth be told the first 2 parties these guys are throwing here are not their usual bookings...they went with what they thought Miami would react best to so they could get a good night started....both their first parties are not really my #1 choice of house music....but its whats coming after these 2 that I am really excited for...I just hope they have chance to show Miami whats in store....like they said they have already 4 months of "confirmed" talent lined up for this residency. So with that...just wanted to apologize if I got on your case a little bit...I get a little passionate when it comes to my home town and its music.

ill never bash oakey he was the reason i got into EDM .. him and Prodigy actually

but i will be goin to nerve because ive heard such good things about knuckles and to support the promoters whos bringing knuckles down.

but space will be rockin as well. i bet id have a blast at both events

MY HOUSE MUSIC IS HOME!!! EVERYONE IS WELCOME; PLEASE WIPE YOUR FEET!

I HAVE THREE WORDS FOR Y'ALL - DO WHATCHA LIKE!

All I know is I have 4 more words - NORMAN JAY + FRANKIE KNUCKLES

THAT'S IT!!! I'M LOCKING THIS THREAD!

lock.jpg

AND NO, The key I left in the lock isn't the right one so don't try it!