Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why is club music so damn bad right now?

Let's not kid ourselves, the club music is not even close to what it use to be. I can not remember the last time that I went out and heard a new song and said, "WOW, I gotta get that track" All the stuff now has no damn energy to it. It doesn't grab people, take them on that ride and make people who don't dance want to get out there and dance. The only time people(including myself) get hyped up when I go out is, when the DJ digs deep i the crates(or CD cases for some) and goes to the tried and true old stuff from a few years back.

If someone thinks I am imagining this I would love for someone to change my mind and please tell me a "PEAK HOUR" track that is played in clubs now.

I am talking about tracks like, The Crowd Song, Anything by Plasmic Honey (It sucks they split up) Robbie Tronco - Ladies and Gentlemen. Stuff with some life to it and not a track that is constant boring beat and changes so little throughout the song.

I CHALLENGE ANYONE to name a song that compare with any of those peak hour tracks.

Take a look at the dance floors when everyone goes out, unless they are banging the old beats no one is absolutely feeling the music.

Let's not kid ourselves, the club music is not even close to what it use to be. I can not remember the last time that I went out and heard a new song and said, "WOW, I gotta get that track" All the stuff now has no damn energy to it. It doesn't grab people, take them on that ride and make people who don't dance want to get out there and dance. The only time people(including myself) get hyped up when I go out is, when the DJ digs deep i the crates(or CD cases for some) and goes to the tried and true old stuff from a few years back.

If someone thinks I am imagining this I would love for someone to change my mind and please tell me a "PEAK HOUR" track that is played in clubs now.

I am talking about tracks like, The Crowd Song, Anything by Plasmic Honey (It sucks they split up) Robbie Tronco - Ladies and Gentlemen. Stuff with some life to it and not a track that is constant boring beat and changes so little throughout the song.

I CHALLENGE ANYONE to name a song that compare with any of those peak hour tracks.

Take a look at the dance floors when everyone goes out, unless they are banging the old beats no one is absolutely feeling the music.

I agree.

Plasmic Honey and the like were the peak of what I call the XTC faze of high nrg happy build-up feel-good music. '97-'01

the thing with that style of music is that the formula got beaten to death. the same synth, the same build-up, the same idea can only be used so many times. Music has to revolve at some point anyway, and I think there is plenty of energy filled music out there, just gotta look for it. For instance Greg O`s redrilled, now that track has some energy.

tribal for some...but judging from your name, i assume you like the hard house phase...the 'good old Exit' days...but apothesis right...music evolve over here and it's not the same anymore...but even with tribal, i think ppl might be getting tired of it...maybe trance comes back thsi summer...=)...regardless, it's different here on the east coast...hard beats are still going over there in europe...and this hardcore stuff over here is strictly underground...145-150bpm is too much for me...=)

I agree w/ u 99% that the music isn't what it used to be and it never will be.

I have to take ur challenge and say Alter - Sexercize (can't remember which mix though) was a bangin' track that has come out in the last few months.

All in all though, things just aint the same. :(

i can agree that things arent the same as they used to be, but i cant agree that there are no tracks out there that have energy. if ur lookin for hard house and trance thats like 140 bpm, well, not too many quality tracks in that genre come out much anymore.

but house and tribal tracks have still been full of energy. D. Ramirez is a producer who has been on fire IMO

the music coming out this year has been incredible. .so many new producers breaking out in 2004.. i loved all the anthemy stuff from years ago as well but i have no complaints what so ever from the releases we are getting lately. .

not for nothing but those songs u mentioned are complete trash. . none of them can hold a candle to 90% of the tracks this year (and even last year)

the music coming out this year has been incredible. .so many new producers breaking out in 2004.. i loved all the anthemy stuff from years ago as well but i have no complaints what so ever from the releases we are getting lately. .

not for nothing but those songs u mentioned are complete trash. . none of them can hold a candle to 90% of the tracks this year (and even last year)

I concur

i'd go as far as saying that i kinda miss those days of plasmic honey and scot project all over the place. but as people have said, listening back to those tracks now, it's pretty basic stuff as far as production goes. my tastes have def changed since those days of bouncing around to the funeral, haha, i still love that song though. i'd say that the music now is as strong as ever if not stronger, it's evolving and i think that's a positive. i still do enjoy the oldies every once in a while though.

if your into 130bpm and faster hard house tech trance thingy then of course its terriblle. But if your into house then the hits have not stopped coming.

once a track hits 130bpms its automatically a tech,trance, or hard house song? and even then there all terrible? just because its not ur style doesnt mean its bad, and just because there hits to u doesnt mean there garbage for someone else :)

Everyone who disagreed with me failed to mention a track that a DJ would play at peak hour. Which still makes me believe that there are no such songs that you can even consider a peak hour song. Everyone who is disagreeing with me and especially the one who said it is even stronger than ever has got to be a promoter. Take a look at clubbing in the city. The amount of people who go out now is no where near what it use to be 3 years ago. THE REASON: The music has no life to it. I do not care how basic those tracks where. Onee thing is for sure, I could not make one and neither could most people who go clubbing. They did there job and everyone was happy.

Take a good hard look at the dancefloor the next time you go out, see how into the music the crowd really is and, if you can remember 3 years ago, compare the two.

The club scene totally blew up a few years ago(because of the music) and now it is dead.

well tj you obviously dont know anything about 718 sessions with danny krivit. June 6th deep. i dare you to go to that party and tell anyone in that crowd what you just said and see thier reaction. Its from 6pm till 1am. See you there.

Everyone who disagreed with me failed to mention a track that a DJ would play at peak hour. Which still makes me believe that there are no such songs that you can even consider a peak hour song. Everyone who is disagreeing with me and especially the one who said it is even stronger than ever has got to be a promoter. Take a look at clubbing in the city. The amount of people who go out now is no where near what it use to be 3 years ago. THE REASON: The music has no life to it. I do not care how basic those tracks where. Onee thing is for sure, I could not make one and neither could most people who go clubbing. They did there job and everyone was happy.

Take a good hard look at the dancefloor the next time you go out, see how into the music the crowd really is and, if you can remember 3 years ago, compare the two.

The club scene totally blew up a few years ago(because of the music) and now it is dead.

TJHardbeats,

Here are a couple of traxx I'm banging out that I consider peak hour:

Techno: Titanium - 'D'Jungle'

Tube Tech - 'Riders'

Trance: Max Savietto - 'Alone'

Nitro - 'It's all about Music'

House: Mike Macaluso - 'Where we Live'

I could go on and on. Again, these are traxx I consider peak hour. You gotta understand that there were several factors contributing to the 'hey day' of clubbing (1997-2000):

(1) XTC

(2) Economy was booming, every1 was making $

(3) Trance was a 'new' sound to most people. Cmon who can forget Airscape's 'Kiss' and all the NY produced traxx like the ones you mentioned (Funeral, Welcome to the Club, Relentless).

I used to compare clubbn these days versus the yester years and you just can't. Like others have said, music HAS to evolve and it has....tribal house is nothing new, its been around since 90's with such traxx as WitchDoktor by Armand Van Helden and Victor Calderone's 'Beat me Harder.' Same thing with trance now....the euphoric, melodic, uplifting sound is still around and Europe still bangs it out. In NY, trance is not big anymore, it had it's day, but these days, every1 is in2 tribal. Plasmic Honey, Tim Rex, Robbie Tronco all there traxx has some trance element to the them also.

In summary, I understand where you're coming from, but you have to understand that much of the music then was a new sound and thats maybe the reason you think it was way better then. There is alot of good traxx out these days, just got to find them...I agree I do wish there was a lil more variety in clubs these days with music....that's why I never miss a big name DJ coming to town, such as AVB, Tiesto, Marco V.