Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Application For A Credit Card

agreed!!! stay away from them. i have like 6 and i used to use all of them all the time. then all the bills come at once and ur fucked. now at least i only use one, but i still run up the bill all the time. im addicted to it

so trueeeeeeeeeeeeeee omg... its the easy thing to go shopping n hand over a card./. makes u feel like ur not paying 4 it and then the spending never ends lol

it's a good idea to have a credit card if you are a smart consumer. it'll build up your credit history and you'll be rewarded with cheaper interest rates when you want to take out a loan, mortgage, etc. however, as people have said above, don't go crazy and get more than 2 credit card tops to start with. you don't need to get a retail credit card, like for J Crew, etc.

1) as someone mentioned, Capital One is the best one to use for starting off. they offer a fixed (versus a variable) interest rate. good customer service, so you can fight off those late fees as needed.

2) if you are a student, look into credit cards specifically for students. MBNA sponsors many collegiate credit cards, which may offer a smaller credit limit in exchange for a competitive interest rate.

3) one from your bank (Citigroup, Chase) may also be useful since they can offer you some sort of negotiated deal since you are already a bank customer. the downside is that customer service may not be as friendly.

last bit of advice: pay off your bill every month if possible. this fairs very well for your credit ratings. don't worry about those reward programs, points, platinum cards, etc for your first card. get a good card with a low interest rate and then build up your credit from there.

you're from staten island so i would go with a citibank credit card... instead of mailing checks you can just go to any bank and pay it there.. there's one on bay street victory blvd.. hylan.. they're all over the city..

some rules for credit cards...

1) if you're in a department store and they offer you a 15 percent discount on your total purchase if you open up a credit card... go for it.. then just pay it off the next day... also if you belong to a store like nordstroms where you get points for every dollar you spend do what i do.. use their credit card.. and then pay off the same amount in cash like 2 minutes later.. good way to get free shit..

same with a regular old credit card... if you're a frequent flyer go with a credit card where you earn free miles.. if you can charge everything and pay it all off before interest starts adding up you'll be set... plus your credit will be banging.. just watch out for the late fees..

i personally pay all of my college loans and cellphone bills and other random bills with the credit card and then just pay off the credit card with my checking account.. everything is done on computers it's great :type::type:

so trueeeeeeeeeeeeeee omg... its the easy thing to go shopping n hand over a card./. makes u feel like ur not paying 4 it and then the spending never ends lol

exactly. ur thinkin u can worry about how much ur spending next month when the bill comes. then it comes and u charged a whole bunch of meals and trips to the gas station, and ur just like...wtf??? why didnt i just pay cash.

my damn problem is i hate paying those atm fees, so if im outta cash and need more money, ill use the credit card instead. and godforbid i bring my credit card to a bar....no doubt im breakin it out and startin a tab and then the next day kickin my self for gettin drunk and losing all self control

exactly. ur thinkin u can worry about how much ur spending next month when the bill comes. then it comes and u charged a whole bunch of meals and trips to the gas station, and ur just like...wtf??? why didnt i just pay cash.

my damn problem is i hate paying those atm fees, so if im outta cash and need more money, ill use the credit card instead. and godforbid i bring my credit card to a bar....no doubt im breakin it out and startin a tab and then the next day kickin my self for gettin drunk and losing all self control

lol... starting tabs is the absolute worst thing you can do...

1) they can dick you over terribly and you wont even realize it until the bill comes but by that point you'll be a blabbering incoherent mess

2) you start getting 12 dollar long island iced teas instead of 6 dollar corona's because hey you're not spending money... why not?

3) you start ordering rounds for your friends when they're out of money, when you know they are never gonna pay you back

4) you tend to drink a lot more then you planned on because you dont see the wad of 1's in your wallet diminsihing..

all in all... just bad news.. ill never do it again

k . i guess people here said it all .. if i have to add anything here it is ..

1. AMEX is not considered a credit card . it is a charge card .. it usually has a $55 annaul fee and u have to pay the balance by the end of the month

2. when applying for credit cards for the first time .. dont go crazy applying for many at one shot .. believe it or not .. anytime u get denied for a credit card it gets posed to your credit history and is looked at in a negative way .. so take ur time and if possible make sure u apply for whatever u think will accept u

3. if you dont have good credit history and job .. then consider applying through a father or a bf .. as authorized user of the account .. this way u dont go through extenvice credit check .. etc.

4. even tho Capital one is easy to get (relatively) they also charge you $6 per month or something like that .. u dont have to do this when most credit cards issue u their card for free

5. i personally find MBNA and GOLF cards pretty good, solid customer service and good cash refund

6. Citibank is not a bad card to get .. easier than most other cards and has this protection of a picture on the card for added security

7. most people are 100% correct when they adviced u not to get many credit cards . they are just easy way to get in debt

8. most people are also correct when they said that your bank would probably be an easy way to get a credit card, if you have been with them for a while ..

9. check out some special offers .. like when joining u get free miles .. or fee long distance minutes and make sure u understand those pretty well

10. if you are part of any professional organizations .. (e.g. ASCE, AMA, etc.) .. then check with them to see if they are offering any credit cards to their memebrs at a discounted price

that is it for now .. good luck dear

peace

the MASK

k . i guess people here said it all .. if i have to add anything here it is ..

1. AMEX is not considered a credit card . it is a charge card .. it usually has a $55 annaul fee and u have to pay the balance by the end of the month

that is not true. the blue card has no fee & you dont have to pay it off at the end of the month. its a credit card by amex. it is 0% for 6 months too.

that is not true. the blue card has no fee & you dont have to pay it off at the end of the month. its a credit card by amex. it is 0% for 6 months too.

hey somebitch .. you are right .. however i was referring to the AMEX the green one which is a charge card and is very popular among students ..

thanks for the correction tho

peace

the MASK

i think the AMEX card is great once you establish credit and you are good about paying your balance off monthly. why not reap the benefits of having awesome customer service, additional insurance just in case something happens to you, and rewards?

i've had my AMEX Green fee waived b/c of good credit history. and once that runs out, i'm willing to pay $55 a year for the card. if you ever have a problem with disputing a charge or a store won't let you return an item, AMEX will refund you, no questions asked.

I only have to say buy what you can afford. DO NOT max the cards out and DO NOT get more than 2 cards.

I learned the hard way and now I am going thru bankruptcy. Good thing is I am pretty much out of debt and I always have $ in my pocket. Bad thing is my credit is SHOT

yea my credit is shot right now.. im paying off my cards so its gonna be restored sometime eventually lol..

ur credit's not shot if u have a large balance though. as long as ur paying more than the minimum every month, and ur paying it on time, then ur actually gaining credit points. think about it...theyre charging u finance charges, so theyre making lots of money off of u. so in their eyes ur a great customer!!! just as long as u keep up with the bills and like i said, always pay more than the minimum. i had a HUGE balance on my card, but i paid it off over like 6 months, and my credit is bling right now. when i went to buy my car 2 yrs ago they told me i had a very high credit rating