Help a brother out. This is for the PC savvy/knowledgeable

For the past 2 months I've had this stupid spyware embedded SOMEWHERE

in my SYSTEM files.

No matter what page I set to be the Home Page, when I open IE6,

it opens up, but before it can log on to the actual home page, it takes me to:

about blank: Trusted HomePage

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

I have Adware 6.0, Spybot, Avast Antivirus, NoAdware and no matter what,

when I run all of this...they do not find the infected file!!

Once spybot found a Hijack browser file (which obviously its what is happening) but when I deleted it....the smae page is there EVERYTIME

I connect to the net!

HELP!!!!! :type:

have u tried using another browser? (netscape, aol...w/e) see if u still get that page...if you don't then the problem is with internet explorer. my friend has that prob...if the problem is with IE...then u might wanna think about formatting the comp.

btw...all that spyware crap doesn't work very well

have u tried using another browser? (netscape, aol...w/e) see if u still get that page...if you don't then the problem is with internet explorer. my friend has that prob...if the problem is with IE...then u might wanna think about formatting the comp.

btw...all that spyware crap doesn't work very well

Thanks Relik, Carlos. :pint:

Unfortunately...it seems as if I try to install Netscape, it blocks some of the essential files needed for it to run properly, so it installs halfway thru, then it gives me an error, and the install is not complete. :(

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!! MOTHERFUCKIN' BASTARDS!!!!!!! :mad:

I may have to re-format the drive. I dont wanna do that 'cause I got

28 GB of MP3's...but I just may have to back up all my shit and do a clean slate.

:(

Do NOT re-format your harddrive!!! You can deal with this problem without doing that. First question, what operating system are you using?

Ok, dont laugh BUT...

It's WIN98SE

due to the software I use to create CD's from raw files & cut tracks

into them.

I use CD Architect by Soundforge which was supported until WIN98

then they stopped making it and it doesnt work on 2000 or XP.

That's why I'm like: damn!

I know it's an old OS, but it works with what I do on a very regular basis.

Manny (mjm420) tried to help me and we went thru a lot of options but came out

empty handed.

So..........................if you got answers....I'm all ears. :)

Aight, if you have not already tried Ad-Aware followed by Spybot, go here: http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003SECURITY.htm and download both. Run them both in SAFE mode. You need to be in safe mode for best results.

If that does not work, go here: http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022-10307556.html?tag=lst-0-5 and download Hijack This. This is a program you want to be careful with, but if you run it, it will find your problem. Follow the instructions carefully. I don't know if you need to run it in safe mode, or not, but it should tell you.

Let me know how that goes. It'll take a while, I'm sure, because you'll probably end up rebooting a bunch of times.

use a diff browser like mozilla firefox...

it will take a bit of getting used to but its so much better & safer

^what he said

i switched to firefox and haven't had a single pop up window in 3 months... on top of that 'dude, click here for fresh teens' thingy that i couldn't get rid of with any program finally disappeared...

use spybot then download the update

also use a diff browser

like mozilla firefox...

it will take a bit of getting used to but its so much better & safer

Yeah i use mozilla firefox for my PC, but Safari for mac is simply the best web browser there is... IE is the worst; too many pop-ups...! :mad:

back up your stuff. re-format your hard drive and reinstall your OS. everything else IMO will achieve nothing more then a band aid soloution. which will lead to more frustrations now or further down the road. also ghost your drives if you decide to re-format; it will save you headaches... finally get the updates for your OS, there seems to be a new MS security update every month. :mad: good luck!

First of all, Make sure that you update Adware and Spybot, They both have features where you have to update its software with the latest spyware info so that it can find it, If you scan it without the updates, The programs will not find it, Also, Make sure that you are using version 1.3 of Spybot when doing the updates, Cause if your using version 1.2, The company no longer suports that version, therefore you dont get any updates on it, So be sure you have version 1.3 of Spybot and have it download the updates on it, After that, Run those scans again and it should be able to find those spywares.

Yeah i use mozilla firefox for my PC, but Safari for mac is simply the best web browser there is... IE is the worst; too many pop-ups...! :mad:

what??? Safari is HORRIBLE...what a POS...

IE sucks as well... Mozilla is MUCH better...

either way though, i get no spyware on any of them.

I use and enjoy Opera, if we are suggesting alternative browsers. However, that does not solve the issue, just hides it.

Diesel, did you try the Hijack This that I suggest to DP? Like I said, you have to be careful with it, but there is little it can't find.

Other things to do. Go to cnet.com, microsoft.com, and symantec.com, and do searches on your specific problem. Often they will have a little tool designed for specific issues.

If you are brave, or know somebody who is very good with computers, you might also try fiddling with your registry. That may be where the problem lies. Although Hijack This should find it there, if it is.

I'm still saying there is no need to reformat your drive, though. This is a fixable problem.