Clubplanet Nightlife Community

An Open Letter To Terry Mullan

ede armand

you know... way way back in the day, i got this mix tape. it was actually a copy of a copy of a copy of a mix tape. and when i say mixtape i mean an actual cassette. lol. it was called "building blocks". it was one of the dopest sets i heard at the time. then i actually got to see mullan at a rave in CT. i was floored by him and have always remained a fan.

that is, untill this weekend.

a good friend of mine booked him for an all night party this past weekend. now, my friend has a remarkable history and excellent reputation as a promoter in the underground scene over here.

he booked terry despite other promoters and dj's and club owners and fans, telling him not to. not to becuse, terry has a reputaion for not showing up.

and when i say, "not showing up", i mean like, appears at 1 out of 10 bookings.

well, he certainly lived up to that reputation saturday night.

my friend waited for terry at the airport for almost two hours.

almost 800 people were thoroughly warmed up by a sonic set from d:fuse and were completely ready to rock.

i went.

i waited.

terry never came.

no call.

no show.

AGAIN!

YES! AGAIN!

first of all, shit happens. flights suck. people get sick. ill give you that.

but, when your reputation is that of a "no-show" dj and you act like it?

and ya think, maybe, you could call if something went down? what's the excuse this time terry?

so terry, answer me this question.

you used to be known, recognized, heralded, and loved as one of the most influencial dj's and producers in the culture and, now, when anyone mentions your name, all of that is completely dissregarded and you are acknowledged as, "the no-show dj".

first of all, let's get something straight. as dj's, we play records. it's hillarious aint it! people PAY us to do this!? what a life we lead! so terry, despite all of the experience, success and knowledge someone at your level may have, please don't take yourself too seriously. we're still just spinning records here.

is it too hard for you to get on to a, paid for, plane terry? ruff life huh? i mean you could always pick up a job shoveling shit if this one is too much for you.

now, how about the fact that all of these promoters pay you a deposit to lock in the booking?

my friend called the promoter whose gig you were to play at, before his, and was told that you were a no-show there as well.

other promoters in the area have booked you and you haven't showed up there either.

so, if you are taking bookings, repeatedly, and taking these deposits and then not showing up, isn't that like stealing? i think it is.

so lets recap.

you spin records.

then people fall in love with the way you spin records and decide that they love you and want to reward you by flying you all over the world and giving you money.

then you produce your own records and mix tapes and cd's and people love them and love you so, they buy them and make you very popular. some might say "famous".

now you make more money and fly to more places, spinning records because... people loved you.

then, one day you decided that you would continue to take the money from the people that loved you but, you wouldn't give the love back.

where would you be without these people terry? where would you be without some kid like me, ten years ago (before the internet), searching for anything and everything "terry mullan"?

where would you be without that kid that booked you at the first rave you ever played?

or, the guy that flew you to your first overseas gig?

where would you be without all the kids that followed you to these gigs and bought your cd's?

where would you be without the guys that sought you out for a booking, despite your reputation?

where would you be?

as a dj, as someone who has been entertaining in nightlife for over 15 years, as an old raver and an old clubber.... i am dissapointed and fed up with the likes of you, terry mullan.

you are doing nothing for the culture, nothing for the music and most importantly, nothing for the fans. you are a thief and a liar. you are stealing from these kids, man. period.

if you had any decency in you, mr. mullan, might i suggest you make some sort of effort to make good on some of these broken promises and agreements you've made. you know, be "a man of your word" and all that.

it builds character and might actually be good for your soul.

good luck terry mullan.

sincerely,

ede armand.

I highly doubt many people in Miami even know who Terry is...or let alone would book him and I am sure Terry doesn't read the CP Miami board. Anyways I haven't heard much about Terry being a no show DJ. Every party that I went to that he was booked at back in the day in Chicago he showed up at...maybe he has a fear of flying. Hopefully he's not the type to say that the deposit he absorbed was for the use of his name on the flyer...I have heard that about some DJs. But to defend some of these Djs (and I am not saying your friends/promoters would do this) there use to be a lot of bogus event throwers that would put Djs names on flyers to pull heads even though they never booked them and then turn around and blame it as a no show. I can't say how much of that still goes on, but you never know. Terry is a sick Dj (Acid Baby)

This isn't the first time I've heard about Terry Mullan's reputation as a no-show dj. When I saw him for the first time 2.5 years ago in Dallas, a random person I talked to in the crowd told me I should feel lucky because Jeremy Word (Dallas' biggest promoter) was one of the few promoters in the country that Terry actually shows up for. When I saw him a year later in Dallas, a friend of mine from Atlanta told me over the phone how jealous she was that I got to see him twice in a year because he had been a no-show several times in Atlanta.

Granted, the man is nothing short of badass... but if he is really keeping the deposits from all these no-shows... FUCK him. Way too many other dj's of his calibur to make Mr. Terry Mullan easily forgettable.

you know... way way back in the day, i got this mix tape. it was actually a copy of a copy of a copy of a mix tape. and when i say mixtape i mean an actual cassette. lol. it was called "building blocks". it was one of the dopest sets i heard at the time. then i actually got to see mullan at a rave in CT. i was floored by him and have always remained a fan.

that is, untill this weekend.

a good friend of mine booked him for an all night party this past weekend. now, my friend has a remarkable history and excellent reputation as a promoter in the underground scene over here.

he booked terry despite other promoters and dj's and club owners and fans, telling him not to. not to becuse, terry has a reputaion for not showing up.

and when i say, "not showing up", i mean like, appears at 1 out of 10 bookings.

well, he certainly lived up to that reputation saturday night.

my friend waited for terry at the airport for almost two hours.

almost 800 people were thoroughly warmed up by a sonic set from d:fuse and were completely ready to rock.

i went.

i waited.

terry never came.

no call.

no show.

AGAIN!

YES! AGAIN!

first of all, shit happens. flights suck. people get sick. ill give you that.

but, when your reputation is that of a "no-show" dj and you act like it?

and ya think, maybe, you could call if something went down? what's the excuse this time terry?

so terry, answer me this question.

you used to be known, recognized, heralded, and loved as one of the most influencial dj's and producers in the culture and, now, when anyone mentions your name, all of that is completely dissregarded and you are acknowledged as, "the no-show dj".

first of all, let's get something straight. as dj's, we play records. it's hillarious aint it! people PAY us to do this!? what a life we lead! so terry, despite all of the experience, success and knowledge someone at your level may have, please don't take yourself too seriously. we're still just spinning records here.

is it too hard for you to get on to a, paid for, plane terry? ruff life huh? i mean you could always pick up a job shoveling shit if this one is too much for you.

now, how about the fact that all of these promoters pay you a deposit to lock in the booking?

my friend called the promoter whose gig you were to play at, before his, and was told that you were a no-show there as well.

other promoters in the area have booked you and you haven't showed up there either.

so, if you are taking bookings, repeatedly, and taking these deposits and then not showing up, isn't that like stealing? i think it is.

so lets recap.

you spin records.

then people fall in love with the way you spin records and decide that they love you and want to reward you by flying you all over the world and giving you money.

then you produce your own records and mix tapes and cd's and people love them and love you so, they buy them and make you very popular. some might say "famous".

now you make more money and fly to more places, spinning records because... people loved you.

then, one day you decided that you would continue to take the money from the people that loved you but, you wouldn't give the love back.

where would you be without these people terry? where would you be without some kid like me, ten years ago (before the internet), searching for anything and everything "terry mullan"?

where would you be without that kid that booked you at the first rave you ever played?

or, the guy that flew you to your first overseas gig?

where would you be without all the kids that followed you to these gigs and bought your cd's?

where would you be without the guys that sought you out for a booking, despite your reputation?

where would you be?

as a dj, as someone who has been entertaining in nightlife for over 15 years, as an old raver and an old clubber.... i am dissapointed and fed up with the likes of you, terry mullan.

you are doing nothing for the culture, nothing for the music and most importantly, nothing for the fans. you are a thief and a liar. you are stealing from these kids, man. period.

if you had any decency in you, mr. mullan, might i suggest you make some sort of effort to make good on some of these broken promises and agreements you've made. you know, be "a man of your word" and all that.

it builds character and might actually be good for your soul.

good luck terry mullan.

sincerely,

ede armand.

who is terry mullan??

:)

Terry Mullen is a sick DJ and one of the first of the of the newer generation DJs to keep that acid sound and bring it back up to the masses all this going back at least 10 years way before all the DJs now days trying to grab hold of that old acid feel and cash in on its rebirth. Never the less all that does go to shit if you are a shady person and have no respect for your passion...is it true....I wouldn't know...like I said before every party I went to (at least 10) that had Terry listed he played and rocked it but this was all in the mid-west.

this is sad to hear. terry is indeed a very talented dj. i do, however, know of his reputation not to show up. i've actually been booked with terry several times around the US and he's not shown up to more than half of those gigs. i was in st. louis a few months ago to teach at a red bull music academy satellite that was going on there, and apparently terry was booked at a party there a few weeks before and was a no show again. i spoke to the promoter, who had booked terry. he said he actually got a call from terry because the promoter didn't want to book him, but his agent talked him into it. the agent apparently was telling the promoter that terry was going through some family problems, etc... but that all was well now and that he'd show up. terry allegedly even called to quell the promoters fears. however, from what i'm told, terry was again a no show. i do hope that whatever terry has going on in his life will be remidied. however, you can't keep letting fans down like this. i've gotten on planes after friends and family members have died, i've gone to clubs while i've been so sick, i could barely move, and have done gigs when there was other intense stuff going on in my personal life. that stuff is never the fans fault, and they shouldn't suffer because of it. you get in that booth and forget that stuff exists and give the crowd the best show ever. period. man up terry. you're too talented to ruin your career, but i fear it may be too late...

Not to be mean, but if the DJ has such a bad reputation, why would you book him?

he's a legendary and amazing talent who's agent assures people he will be there. i think now, that its just gotten to the point of totall rediculousness.

over the last week i've been hearing stories from all over the country and they are all the same. the jig is up. i've been posting this everywhere because people should know whats going on ad put 2 + 2 together like some of us have.

it really is not cool. not cool at all.

i posted this elsewhere...

"listen, this isn't ONE party i'm talking about here. it's a pattern that has been going on now for a few years to promoters ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. ask around... like i have been, and you'll come to the same conclusion i have.

he's a carreer balker. to consistantly walk away with deposit after deposit after deposit is nothing short of stealing. period.

this, really, has gone too far. i am sick of going to parties FOR HIM and him not showing. i am sick of seeing people get let down time and again. promoter friends get ripped off... all of it.

his time slot at this party was peak hour. there are a dozen or so local dj's, that would have actually drawn more people to the party, that would have killed for the slot and done it fo free.

his behaviour is unprofessional, dissapointing, moraly wrong and, more imortantly, dissrespectful to those that love the guy.

this pattern is flagrant and needs to end.

as much as i love his music, he needs, now, to start answering to the people."

enough is enough already.

• 17 years later...

.let me start by saying Terry Mullen is now always has been and probably always will be my favorite DJ I live in Colorado and since 1996 to date I've seen Terry probably at least 20 times from clubs to Raves if I seen Terry's name I was there there were very few that I didn't find out about but basically if Terry came to Colorado since 96 I was there I will say there was two parties that he didn't go to I don't hold that against him I've had days where I missed work I will say it's a letdown to hear he's disappointed all across the country I just feel lucky myself that I have seen him as many times as I have and in my opinion of all those shows all but one he was the best DJ at the show and the one time he wasn't I think it was just his time slot ever since I first heard his music I've loved him and if I ever saw anything CD tape record or flyer with his name on it I either bought it or went I've met Terry a couple four or five times he was always been great to me he's giving me records CDs autographs I'm sad I haven't seen him playing for the past 3 or 4 years anywhere I guess that he's retired which is a giant let down for me but just know people that if you have seen Terry or if you get a chance to see Terry he will not let down let you down he's a Pioneer in this business and has brought some amazing new music to the Forefront he was the first person to play Daft Punk in the United States I bet a lot of people didn't know that. Simply for his music alone Terry is one of only a handfull that can produce and also DJ. I miss his shows and feel lucky to have been able to experience as many as I have, I hope I have not seen my final Terry Mullan show. Terry's biggest Colorado fan.