Clubplanet Nightlife Community

protein consumption

fineones

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you believe its important to vary your protein consumption, as in how many grams per day you should take in (on days 55+ per meal, off days 55 - per meal )

just a thought

I've read a few articles about "protein cycling". Keeping it high for 6 days. Cutting it in 1/2 on the 7th, then picking it back up again the following day. Not sure what the outcome of it is though.

Protein dreprivation leads to a production of large amounts of testosterone (supposedly) as a homeostasis affect. I guess it's similar to how a body wants to store fat if you starve yourself.

Do some google searches on protein cycling and see what you come up with.

Do you believe its important to vary your protein consumption, as in how many grams per day you should take in (on days 55+ per meal, off days 55 - per meal )

just a thought

I heard your body can't process 50+ grams of protein per meal, you're better off sticking to 30-40g. Not entirely sure about this though. As for varying, I wouldn't think its that imporant, but something worth trying.

i never explicitly cycled protein, just sorta happens that way cause on the weekends i generally have less protein than during the weekdays. be it going out or just not sticking to my weekday diet it usually ends up being less.

i also try not to go crazy, i think 50 grams should be your goal per meal, anything more than that might not even get used.

okay..i've been researching it all morning and cold barelyfind anything specific ont eh topic at hand. Heres what I came up with...Every study with results an bascially be blame the gains on other factors. Ppl cycling protein also cylcing carbs a fats. So any number of factors can report the gains they saw. As we all know but increasing or calories allows us to work out harder and see higher gains and then lowering the calories (to a certain point) for a period of time allows us to cut excess fat and save the gains we have earned. If even ONE LB of lean muscle mass it could be said to be worth it for some. As long as we can do it a few times a yr that ONE LB would add up to considerable gains. right?

so sure I can see the upside to this however it seems like too much focus on food consumption to the average weight lifter. What i like about this is you get to stay leaner for a larger part of the yr as opposed to the BULK & CUT cylceing for seasons. If this is your way of fitness dieting then go for it. I'm sure you'll see the gains you want, Buttttt i wouldnt say its from the protein cycle rather the cycling of carbs and protein together

IDK to much coffee this morning i think

i would like to see more reports on protein cycle alone while carbs and fats remain constant

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed great results from getting about 1 gram of protein per lb. I also would cut my carbs down as mucj as possible. It can be a pain in the ass.

This was my diet:

4 eggs 20g

cup of coffee

tuna fish 1 can 25g

protein shake 50g

protein bar 25g

chicken or steak 50g

drank nothing but water

but is there any downside to consuming too much protein, apart from it getting wasted, will it effect your health?

some here will argue that too much protein will cause kidney damage because the xtra protein puts too much stress on the kidneys. However, unless you already have a kidney problem, or if you're eating an insane amount of protein and you're not drinking a decent amount of water, then some extra protein in your diet will not harm you, except for an increase in protein farts.

some here will argue that too much protein will cause kidney damage because the xtra protein puts too much stress on the kidneys. However, unless you already have a kidney problem, or if you're eating an insane amount of protein and you're not drinking a decent amount of water, then some extra protein in your diet will not harm you, except for an increase in protein farts.

how much is insane?

but is there any downside to consuming too much protein, apart from it getting wasted, will it effect your health?

This is a statement that must come from years of research. Let us see your research or clinical studies to back this up.

The research should include healthy individuals consuming 300-500 grams of protein per day along with a control group that limits protein consumption to under 75 grams per day.

Thanks

Nautica

btw - if you find good studies, I am sure that most of us here will then agree. I have asked others who make statements to back it up with research and they do. I appreciated then and I will appreciate it now. This way we can all learn something.

This is a statement that must come from years of research. Let us see your research or clinical studies to back this up.

The research should include healthy individuals consuming 300-500 grams of protein per day along with a control group that limits protein consumption to under 75 grams per day.

Thanks

Nautica

btw - if you find good studies, I am sure that most of us here will then agree. I have asked others who make statements to back it up with research and they do. I appreciated then and I will appreciate it now. This way we can all learn something.

eh nautica, that wasn't a statement, that was a question?

So maybe you can answer my question?

I heard your body can't process 50+ grams of protein per meal, you're better off sticking to 30-40g. Not entirely sure about this though. As for varying, I wouldn't think its that imporant, but something worth trying.

well i take in 1 particular meal 120+g of protein

I can't answer your question. That is why I asked for a clinical study. I can say that I have not seen one that shows conclusively that it is a detriment to ones health.

Nautica

the reason i'm trying to get to the bottom of this is that, for a while i was gaining nearly 3lbs a week and then it just suddenly stopped, and i was gaining no more even though i was eating the same, i'm just wondering why it has changed and thought i may have overloaded my system with protein or something (if that's possible)

120+g of protein in one meal? Geez what are you eating? I'd say that's excessive. You must move your bowels like 10 times a day if you eat that much protein in your meals. And if you stopped gaining weight you probably need to up your calorie intake. THe more muscle you pack on the more calories you will need to maintain it and to build more. 3lbs a week may be a bit much tho. Is it all muscle weight or fat? Dont become too much of a fatty, even if youre bulking.

550g of steak, i litterally cant eat anymore in the day, i'm eating 100g oats, 50-100g rice, mass builder, protein powder, 2-3 turkey breasts, 200g tuna, 400g baked beans, 225g cottage cheese, 3-4 rye bread, litre of milk. not really gaining any fat at all. i don't know where to fit anymore calories in there?

the reason i'm trying to get to the bottom of this is that, for a while i was gaining nearly 3lbs a week and then it just suddenly stopped, and i was gaining no more even though i was eating the same, i'm just wondering why it has changed and thought i may have overloaded my system with protein or something (if that's possible)

The body wants to maintain homeostasis and stay close to its natural body weight.

Lets look at it from the opposite view and then it may become more clear. Lets say you were overweight and wanted to loose. (we will assume your frame is meant to carry around 150 lbs) If you start at 200 you will loose very rapidly at first, then the rate will slow as you approach the 150 lb mark. If you then try to go below the 150 the rate will be even slower. As you move farther below this to maybe 130 lbs. the rate will slow and most like stop (unless of course you completely starve yourself).

The same holds true for gaining. At the 130 mark you could eat and get back to 150 extremely fast. Then as you moved above this it would slow and eventually stop.

You have to put forth a special effort in not only total food consumption but you need to be able to "trick" the body into moving past these points on no growth.

Nautica

he may eat 120 g of protein, but his body will only absorb 25-30grms at most per meal...the rest of it is just gone the toilet....literally

120+g of protein in one meal? Geez what are you eating? I'd say that's excessive. You must move your bowels like 10 times a day if you eat that much protein in your meals. And if you stopped gaining weight you probably need to up your calorie intake. THe more muscle you pack on the more calories you will need to maintain it and to build more. 3lbs a week may be a bit much tho. Is it all muscle weight or fat? Dont become too much of a fatty, even if youre bulking.

The body wants to maintain homeostasis and stay close to its natural body weight.

Lets look at it from the opposite view and then it may become more clear. Lets say you were overweight and wanted to loose. (we will assume your frame is meant to carry around 150 lbs) If you start at 200 you will loose very rapidly at first, then the rate will slow as you approach the 150 lb mark. If you then try to go below the 150 the rate will be even slower. As you move farther below this to maybe 130 lbs. the rate will slow and most like stop (unless of course you completely starve yourself).

The same holds true for gaining. At the 130 mark you could eat and get back to 150 extremely fast. Then as you moved above this it would slow and eventually stop.

You have to put forth a special effort in not only total food consumption but you need to be able to "trick" the body into moving past these points on no growth.

Nautica

and what sorta tricks should i be using? i am using visualisation and stuff like that.

give yourself 5-6 hrs between meals, but during loading you can do it down to 4hrs between meals...but then not everybody is bodybuilder, i just eat 5 meals a day, down from 8! between work and other chores in life, thats the best i can pull...but back in college days, 8 meals was the norm....oh and definetly if you are a woman stay off of tuna....

so how long between meals does one need to wait so they can absorb another 25-30grms?