Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I hate Crobar (a review....)

OK, I went to Crobar last night to see Sander K, waited on line with Tony, Erin and Liz in the rain at like 11:30. When we got up to the bouncer he told Tony to step off the line because he didn't like what Tony was wearing, the bouncer specifically said that he wanted guys wearing "button down shirts".

So we stepped off the line, and I went over to the bouncer to talk to him for a second. Now, at this point in my clubbing career I know how to properly speak to a bouncer -calmly and with a respect that he is working and has a difficult job. I pointed to the fact that we were there with two girls, (two guys, two girls is a ratio they like) I also told him that I was only there to support the dj and that I was on the dj's personal guestlist and that we would stay for an hour or two and then be on our way. The bouncer basically told me that his boss didn't want anyone dressed casually in and that there was nothing he could do about it. To the bouncers credit, he was polite and professional and after he told me that, I replied "fair enough" and we left.

I hate the fact that I have to go to such lengths to get into these clubs to hear the music that I want to hear. I am always respectful, I don't get into fights or grope people, and I spend plenty of money at the bar. It is ridiculous that I can not get into Sanders party after I have supported him for so long....I remember when he wasn't as popular as he is now, when he couldn't fill a club as large as Crobar, I attended every one of his parties when he was a resident at Arc, and I buy all of his CDs. The door at Crobar wasn't even particularly difficult to get into, in fact we were the only people that I saw that were bounced off the line.

I guess I am just posting this to vent. I'm not even really that mad that we didn't get in, I just find it pretty ironic that out of all the people on line they decided to pick on me. Tony wasn't dressed like a dirtbag so I don't even understand their reasoning. I don't even really like these new clubs like Crobar and Avalon, if Sander wasn't playing there I wouldn't even look twice at the place. It's funny that I had been there once before and got right in and it was the last time Sander played there. So in short, sorry everyone that I didnt meet up, it wasn't from lack of trying.

Instead we went to Robots for some techno. Anyways, I dropped a line to Emma from Chaotica, she does Sander's north america bookings, and asked her to consider booking sander at a more fan-friendly venue next time.

-Joe

OK, I went to Crobar last night to see Sander K, waited on line with Tony, Erin and Liz in the rain at like 11:30. When we got up to the bouncer he told Tony to step off the line because he didn't like what Tony was wearing, the bouncer specifically said that he wanted guys wearing "button down shirts".

So we stepped off the line, and I went over to the bouncer to talk to him for a second. Now, at this point in my clubbing career I know how to properly speak to a bouncer -calmly and with a respect that he is working and has a difficult job. I pointed to the fact that we were there with two girls, (two guys, two girls is a ratio they like) I also told him that I was only there to support the dj and that I was on the dj's personal guestlist and that we would stay for an hour or two and then be on our way. The bouncer basically told me that his boss didn't want anyone dressed casually in and that there was nothing he could do about it. To the bouncers credit, he was polite and professional and after he told me that, I replied "fair enough" and we left.

I hate the fact that I have to go to such lengths to get into these clubs to hear the music that I want to hear. I am always respectful, I don't get into fights or grope people, and I spend plenty of money at the bar. It is ridiculous that I can not get into Sanders party after I have supported him for so long....I remember when he wasn't as popular as he is now, when he couldn't fill a club as large as Crobar, I attended every one of his parties when he was a resident at Arc, and I buy all of his CDs. The door at Crobar wasn't even particularly difficult to get into, in fact we were the only people that I saw that were bounced off the line.

I guess I am just posting this to vent. I'm not even really that mad that we didn't get in, I just find it pretty ironic that out of all the people on line they decided to pick on me. Tony wasn't dressed like a dirtbag so I don't even understand their reasoning. I don't even really like these new clubs like Crobar and Avalon, if Sander wasn't playing there I wouldn't even look twice at the place. It's funny that I had been there once before and got right in and it was the last time Sander played there. So in short, sorry everyone that I didnt meet up, it wasn't from lack of trying.

Instead we went to Robots for some techno. Anyways, I dropped a line to Emma from Chaotica, she does Sander's north america bookings, and asked her to consider booking sander at a more fan-friendly venue next time.

-Joe

dude..foward this overr to Sander himself...

im sure he will take care of it next time...

let them know!

begging to get into these super clubs is such bullshit. you're going out to have a good time, not to hope that someone lets you into their party. the clubs should cater to you, aren't you the one dropping $150 - $200 a night? they should do what they can to get you in the door, not the other way around. how sweet it was going to vinyl @ 5 am on saturday mornings.

thats pretty fucked up! I have also read the same thing on another board. WTF is goin on with these clubs. Oh now all of the sudden they want to have a dress code. Music is made for pppl to do dance and have a good time. Not by what ppl are wearing. I could understand if u were dressed like a bum or a thug. But the kid was clearly not. They were just looking for a pay off probably

thats pretty fucked up! I have also read the same thing on another board. WTF is goin on with these clubs. Oh now all of the sudden they want to have a dress code. Music is made for pppl to do dance and have a good time. Not by what ppl are wearing. I could understand if u were dressed like a bum or a thug. But the kid was clearly not. They were just looking for a pay off probably

the dress code thing is bullshit, i've never been denied anywhere and i never wear button downs cause frankly i dont like the way i look in them. But this is def bullshit, RIP the days of showing up at SF in shorts, addidas pants, etc at 5am after gettin home from work at like 1 and takin a short nap :(

some places really need to get a grip...all this upscale and bottle service bullshit is whats made the scene take a turn for the worst recently IMO

is it so difficult to dress up when goin to these big clubs? Avoid the problems altogether and just go dressed up. No big deal.

Peace out

I have to agree here. What is the big deal about dressing up even if you dance? I mean for a girl it is different, I can't imagine how painfull it would be to dance in heels. But I always show up in a nice pair of pants, loafers (rubber soled ones), and a button down (and usually a blazer now that it is chilly) and it doesnt inhibit my dancing at all...now I may not be nearly as good as some of you at tearing up the dancefloor (I have more heart than skill lol) but I don't really see how dancing in a t-shirt and sneakers is that much more comfy. I understand that it's a matter of principle for many of you, but if a club is going to be really lax on the dresscode you are going to start complaining about the "vibe" and how it feels so chinatown. Afterall, none of the smelly asians in avalon that everyone complains about on here would be able to get by the door in crobar - the asians that are there are completely different and are pleasant. If clubs in the city catered only to those that are just about the music, they would be empty and run out of business.

see now this is the one biggest reason i dont like CROBAR-

that dam door policy- i understand there are rules - i understand the want a certain clientel but seriously

you cant say that a thug from east 40th in brkln isnt going to have a button down shirt in his closet

nor can you say that one of ny's hottest coke pushers isnt going to have only timberlands in his closet either.

Yes they make the rules but what is the point they are trying to make?

-its always dark inside -

-you always remember what a woman is wearing

-you never remember what a guy wears

-and who wants to have a bunch of hot sweaty bodies next to them on the floor?

because lets be honest FELLAS!!

wear a tshirt or something comfortable to a club and dance all night - you get warm if you keep drinking

wear a button down shirt and stand next to the bar withthe same drink in your hand for 30 mins and your already makin secret rings in that fukin NON 100% cotton shirt with buttons makin your chest feel like its in a sardine can.

I just dont understand the ponit for it this "type" of manditory dress code.

there is a simple 3 dollar solution to all your woes. it's called coat check. wear a button down, and if for some reason you still feel like you're wearing a straight jacket from the way you're describing it, you can check it in. tada, problem solved and you don't miss your favorite dj.

and btw i wear button downs out, not all the time but i do, and i don't nurse the same drink by the bar for half the night. and it doesn't get that much hotter than a tshirt anyway, and even if it does, i can't take it off, that's what the buttons on it are for.