Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ikon Management/staff Needs To Go

i went to support Gonzo for my friends party... he was amazing... although there must have been only a handful of people on the main floor, my friends and i had a riot goofing off by the bar...

the hip-hop room was mad packed as well as the latin room...

the club is way tooooooo large for anyone who is not a headline dj...

also, from my experience - I WILL NEVER GO BACK as long as the current management is there...

here's my list of reasons why, and why i believe they can't get a good crowd:

1 - LAZY IDIOTS AT THE DOOR

2 - BONEHEADS AT THE SEARCH POINT

3 - $12 Dixie Cups of Red Bull and Goose

first, on a night like Friday when it's rainy and fuckin cold and you're venue is damn empty... they kept us outside for like 10 minutes without even acknowledging we were there until i said something... then, there answer was "i am not the door guy" WELL FUCK YOU AND YOUR ATTITUDE... you're job is to make your customers happy, get them in and get them buying drinks...

then, after we get in (i heard they turned away lots of people that night too) we got to the search point... INSTANT SIGN OF A BAD CLUB... it was like walking through airport security... we had to dump our belongings in a bin while some fool searched us down like we were bringing in the military... if you're club treats it's patrons like criminials - that is who will show up...

after, I got past the security guy... they began hassling my friend about his hat... they required that he leave his hat in the "WE'RE GONNA STEAL YOUR SHIT BIN" at the door... i refused to have him leave his hat and we almost walked out until management came by and said we can keep his hat in the office! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! IT'S A FUCKIN HAT NOT A BOMB!

then, once we got in it was empty, but the kicker was - once we got upstairs in the hip-hop room, there were mad people wearing hats...

FUCK YOU IKON

when we finally decided to leave, i ran into some friends who said they called up and asked for dress code... they were told there was none and when they showed up wearing Timbs, they were hassled...

NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER GO TO THIS VENUES AS LONG AS THEY TREAT THEIR PATRONS THE WAY THEY DO.

-Shane Fontane

Between you and mario 909 you created like 12 threads about this Gonzo freak and I think you got 1 per each thread to show up. Great job promoting. I think ikon should hire a big hiphop dj to resident there and fcuk us house muzik luffers. Ur right that place is cursed with jp's dead fans deepspell! I say it is probably the tony draper effect. Once he plays in your club you are doomed. Here is my characterization of big club life.

Crobar ... Where to find thiago and some hot ass people listening to hot dj's and a great soundsystem lighting etc....

Avalon ... Where to find ny's finest drunks and chinatown e-tards.

Spirit ... Great place to learn how to do the fist pump and the SF shuffle.

Ikon.. inhabited by ny's largest crowd of ghosts and phantoms.

Enjoy my summerization. Some day it will change but for now enjoy!

:half:

Between you and mario 909 you created like 12 threads about this Gonzo freak and I think you got 1 per each thread to show up. Great job promoting. I think ikon should hire a big hiphop dj to resident there and fcuk us house muzik luffers. Ur right that place is cursed with jp's dead fans deepspell! I say it is probably the tony draper effect. Once he plays in your club you are doomed. Here is my characterization of big club life.

Crobar ... Where to find thiago and some hot ass people listening to hot dj's and a great soundsystem lighting etc....

Avalon ... Where to find ny's finest drunks and chinatown e-tards.

Spirit ... Great place to learn how to do the fist pump and the SF shuffle.

Ikon.. inhabited by ny's largest crowd of ghosts and phantoms.

Enjoy my summerization. Some day it will change but for now enjoy!

:half:

luztidara makes good points :pint::pint::pint:

Guest distort909

i think luz has no clue. lol......................

ikon is huge & needs a bunch of different promoters that do different things to work in that space. the club itself gotta say is way nice................ i loved it. but there were alot of things that i could have done with out.

the door staff is one of them :( live n learn.................. you know where im going next weekend? the 4 year anniversary of stereo in montreal.

that shoudl be a hot party :)

& Gonzo rocks! & if you were going out in the 90's you would have known that.

Well Maria,

I was at Stereo 2 weeks ago for DJ Vibe and after that experience, I realized how pathetic ny nightlife is. A bunch of clueless clubgoers going to sha-sha clubs with no soul, let a lone a decent soundsystem or promotion team.

If you think "phazon" or any of that brand name nonsense means anything (no disrepect to steve dash who is a brillian sound designer) then you really need to experience STEREO in Montreal. Phazon is just a name and Twilo was really the last expression of what that company could really do in nyc. Arc was mediocre at best.

And does anyone understand the basic concept of a nice square room, paint it black and put in a great soundsystem and booth and then book great talent? Not 2 hour UK talent and the need for VIP and laser beams and other nonsense. NYC is supposed to be the defacto standard by which other clubs and city's nightlife is measured. I hope they see the light soon and get back to the roots. NYC NEEDS SHORTY!!!!!!!!

ikon is huge & needs a bunch of different promoters that do different things to work in that space. the club itself gotta say is way nice................ i loved it. but there were alot of things that i could have done with out.

the door staff is one of them :( live n learn.................. you know where im going next weekend? the 4 year anniversary of stereo in montreal.

club was doomed ever since it re-opened as black...place is haunted and cursed by jp's dead fans...

sorry to hear the treatment of your patrons was so nasty....

since way before that. Its been doomed since the first time Bugout pressed play on the red room cd players.

club was doomed ever since it re-opened as black...place is haunted and cursed by jp's dead fans.......

thats funny cause i went there a couple of times in 2001. Always dead...

the place is just TOO FUCKIN BIG. It never gets the intamacy of a good vibe. Maybe keeping it hip hop will be good.

Sh*t, now i'm really confused about what to do for NYE. I really wanna see PvD @ IKON, but I know the shitty experience one must endure w/that venue (Exit, Black, Ikon etc). What should I do? is PvD worth the drama? or should I look elsewhere? Last NYE I was @ EXIT/BLACK for JP and I showed up at 8pm cuase it said doors open 8pm, waited 2 hrs freezing till they opened at 10pm and then I spent over an hour on the coatcheck line just to leave the place, I DO NOT wanna deal with that sh*t again, but I really wanna see PvD, any ideas?

Sh*t, now i'm really confused about what to do for NYE. I really wanna see PvD @ IKON, but I know the shitty experience one must endure w/that venue (Exit, Black, Ikon etc). What should I do? is PvD worth the drama? or should I look elsewhere? Last NYE I was @ EXIT/BLACK for JP and I showed up at 8pm cuase it said doors open 8pm, waited 2 hrs freezing till they opened at 10pm and then I spent over an hour on the coatcheck line just to leave the place, I DO NOT wanna deal with that sh*t again, but I really wanna see PvD, any ideas?

jimmy--

PvD for NYE will have no issues whatsoever or as few as there can be (obviously it's near impossible to say with thousands of people not one of them is going to have something to complain about, but it's being worked on)...planning for this party has been going on nonstop for a long time now and things will run as smoothly as humanly possible.

My sentimentsd towards Ikon are this: the venue is massive and I have seen first hand that it CAN HAVE A VIBE to it..yes, repeat and rinse out. There were at least three events were I witnessed the true beauty of NYC nitelife..one, carter/farina; two, pullen and saunderson and three, greg vickers..

people from all sorts of life coming together and dancing to one groove..now that's beauty, and yes..a vibe was there, but with a space that big it aint easy..ill tell ya that much.

Ikon has been making many renovations to the space as well, and for many that say the sound in there sucks, i have to disagree...again i will state, danny tengalia played there and he, to his credit, only plays on good systems.

NYE with PvD is going to be a very special event and one which will hopefully provide some excellent long lasting memories...

dj

Exit/Ikon whatever the heck you want to call it... I think it's best days were when this place was Carbon. I'm wondering if it had a different name before that? The last time I went to Ikon was last nye when JP played for hours. That place was packed, but again it was nye and it was a reasonable price per/person. The staff really didn't check ids at all that night. The bottom line is that this club has tried everything possible to get it done right and they have failed everytime. They brought in the likes of Tony Draper, Denny Tsettos, Jr. Vasquez, and JP and they have all left. They have changed the name of this club a plethora of times and was has that done? I don't know if the mgmt or ownership have to change, but something's got get done or this club should just get shut down. I think they need to get promotion teams to work for each room of that club, because it's such a big club. The challenge is to fill that club week after week w/ a good crowd and create a vibe for that club. Something that seems right now pretty impossible to accomplish. They need get one thing right and go from there.

There has been one constant though, and that has been the same shady door staff year after year. I think when Exit opened it all began. From what I've heard people have had the worst experiences w/ the door staff here than at any other club in the city. These guys run the door like they would Alcatraz, like prison guards do. It's a shame because they are the ones who deter most of the people away and therefore they never come back.

Wow Stereo!! It's been years since I've been to Montreal. So many great memories in this city.That place has a sick sound system and great djs too. I didn't think Stereo would last this long. I heard Sona closed down, I wonder why? There are new clubs up there that are also good too. I need to go back up there and check it out. Maria have a great time there and remember bundle up... it's mad cold up there. You should take pics if the party is that good.

i do not like the door staff there one bit...lol

it is a shame, because if there were 5,000+ people in there hanging from the rafters to some sick ass underground get nasty type shit... oh, maybe they should have raves for the 18+ crowd? it's not a club, it's a fuckin' warehouse...

Between you and mario 909 you created like 12 threads about this Gonzo freak and I think you got 1 per each thread to show up. Great job promoting....

boo! lol... just trying to spread the word... don't hate :)

love gonzo's music... as a matter of fact, his set sounded great...

from what i could see, the club did not wanna invest in the night and neither did the "head" promoters... venue was too big for such an intimate gathering...

without the right amount of $$$ that place will forvever remain empty... obviously those rare occasions with danny and now pvd may help it out... but personally, i can not see a successful club night there... it's either all or nothing in that place... anyone doing anything there needs to drop some serious cash to make that place work for the night, not every night...

just think of it as clubland's MSG :) you don't have djs at the garden every weekend, just special occasions (or use to at least)...

and they def need to get rid of the door staff... it's a fuckin prison for sure...

Guest distort909

well i think ikon black exit carbon & mirage is a great space............. i think paul van dyke will be one of the best new years eve parties in the city.........the place is just the right size for something like that. dont deter just becaues another night failed. its new years eve got damn it!

its a celebration be merry!

:)

yes i cant wait for my first stereo experiece :) i will deff be taking pictures :)

as i look as it, i started going to Exit as my first club

back when draper was resident

and its like, i've heard the story's

stay away from the place, from the story's i've heard about the place, respectively to the old timers, that were there

didnt the place burn down

wasnt it Exit, then ExitII, then Black, then IKON, then Exit

Sounds like a curse

now i prefer the place for a LARGE venue, and thats it

but hate all you want, OLD school draper friday's at 16, was Fun

but man,i was 16

:yuck:

ha, i left out some details

i used to enjoy going at 16 and rocking out

there are old story's of what that place was and what it became

i followed all those before me saying

i used to go there, i dont wanna go back

but things like, Tiesto, over an 8 hour set sold out

Van Dyk, over an 8 hour set, or as the balloons said, Van Dyck

Even draper release party sold out

New Years before The Lease With JP

theres been some good party's

but supplying a firday night party

jsut isnt the place

exit will never be the same as it was a few years back... the scene has changed... people for some reason prefer small lounges or the bottle/table type setting... nobody is in to the superclubs anymore... except for me.. i love the big clubs.. i hope something goes right with exit... it's too nice of a space to waste...