Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bling's Review of Doc Martin @ Crobar

Bling

Andrew Chibale said it best on a thread on CJ when he stated: "IT's all about the locals". Tonite was definitly about the locals as they put on a hell of a show at Crobar, with Doc Martin unfortunately disapointing.

I arrived around 11 pm. Got my two drink tickets at the door and walked in. Got the usual Vodka tonics and headed upstairs.

The decorations at Crobar on this night were simple. Multicolored balls of varying sizes hanging over the club. Over the main room bar there was a huge banner tied up and a group of balls in the center all clustered together.

Ani Phearce set

Ani delieverd a smooth opening set. I was there for quite a while alone behind the booth just enjoying the music until the first board members arrived. (James and Annette).

IT was a pleasure to finally meet and speak to Ani (who recognized me right away ). He then gave me, James and Annette a drink ticket each...

Some of the tracks Ani dropped were:(thanks to the track ID god Ramon for these)

1) - Coldplay - God Put a Smile on Your Face

2) Jose Nunez - Billingual (Subliminal)

3) Kings of Tommorow - Finally

4) Mylo - Drop The Pressure (Breastfed)

5) Britney Spears-Toxic ... btw love the song....

6) - Max Linen - Flashback (Phonetic)

Great set and excellent setup for Doc Martin.

Doc Martin set.

By the time Doc took the decks at 1 the club was semi packed. It never really got crowded ever behind the dj booth even during his set. He arrived with his girlfriend or wife and took over the reigns.

I went up to him and told him how I heard great things about his set at Nerve and was looking foward to his set tonite. (Got a pic as well with him)

His set was completely lacking any soul this nite. IT had no energy. The vibe was lacking. Not many were dancing at all on the main room floor.

I know he is a fantastic House DJ but tonite was not his nite.

THe set was mostly techy .. and had a "big room " house feel to it. Nothing really funky deep to it at all. Best way to describe it was it sounded "gritty"

One thing I will commend him on his he is truly a Purist at heart. His entire set..... was on vinyl......... I havent seen that in a long time......

During his set, Ramon came in along with Miriam and her friend Janelle. Also in attendance was Sammy (Southside). Ramon agreed with me that his set was lacking. He informed me that it sounded nothing like his set at Nerve which was mostly Deep house.

At 3 am his set ended. Only a 2 hr set..next up Ralph Falcon.

Ralph Falcon set

Shocking as this may seem, this is the first time I have ever heard Ralph Falcon spin at any club. I have only previously heard him once at the Party 93.1 4th of July blast (but that doesnt count)

WHAT THE HELL TOOK ME SO LONG TO HEAR THIS MAN!!! HE OWNED THE FRIGGIN PLACE. The crowd was quickly taken off life support and just went nuts. I wont even mention tracks because that would be a disservice to the continuity and "sickness" to his set. He just dropped bombs non stop for 2 hrs. Everyone was dancing their asses off. I thought Ramon was going to have an embelysm at one point fist pumping and screaming . He even went downstairs to dance on the dance floor .

Ralph was da man................

During Ralph's set, it was a pleasure to finally speak to Emi Guerra(one of Crobar's owners) at length for the first time. All nite long Emi was trying to get me drunk LOL. First with jagerbomb then with shots. LOL ..... I reluctantly held back because I had to drive ugh!!!

We had a great discussion about the business aspect of clubs which was very informative. Then he said to me "you like taking pics with hot girls huh? So then he grabbed me and brought me to his two best looking waitresses. These girls were freakin playmate style knockouts. Got a pic with both of em of course..... Thanks again Emi for being such a great host....... Oh btw Emi was she able to sell that bottle? LOL

Overall, I had a great time..... The locals delievered big time...... this entire weekend !

:huh: Doc Martin is not a deep house dj IMO. I'd say Mateo & Matos, Francois K, Danny Krivit, Jori Hulkonnen, etc are deep house dj's. The Doc plays some pretty deep tracks but more along the lines of Ovum deep-tech like Pete Moss, David Alvarado, etc.

When the Doc played at Nerve, the room wasn't full either. But he definitely delivered!

Keep in mind that he's not very well known in Miami. :D

I can remember a Crobar gig a few months back that I did some laser work at. Donald Glaude was spinning. His set started out with some of the regular boring South Beach house music and then he started to progress into some harder and techier house music. As I recall the place went nuts everytime he dropped a harder track. This whole thing with Miami and deep house has gone on for years but there are alot of great DJ's that don't spin in Miami because the crowd is isn't very open-minded when it comes to music. Take Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson and Juan Atkins for example. These guys are killer DJ's yet never get booked in Miami. Why?? Because Miami hasn't been exposed to the type of music that they play. I saw Derrick May play a smoking set in LA 2 years ago and the place was out of control.

Maybe it's time that the Miami club scene start to spread it's wings a little. Electronic Dance Music is more than Deep House and Trance.

I can remember a Crobar gig a few months back that I did some laser work at. Donald Glaude was spinning. His set started out with some of the regular boring South Beach house music and then he started to progress into some harder and techier house music. As I recall the place went nuts everytime he dropped a harder track. This whole thing with Miami and deep house has gone on for years but there are alot of great DJ's that don't spin in Miami because the crowd is isn't very open-minded when it comes to music. Take Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson and Juan Atkins for example. These guys are killer DJ's yet never get booked in Miami. Why?? Because Miami hasn't been exposed to the type of music that they play. I saw Derrick May play a smoking set in LA 2 years ago and the place was out of control.

Maybe it's time that the Miami club scene start to spread it's wings a little. Electronic Dance Music is more than Deep House and Trance.

i was there for donald glaude...what a great night that was!! the place was so packed and i've never seen so many people that were into the music like that in a while....i remember my feet killing me the next day because i couldn't stop dancing once he broke out with the tech house.....well worth it!!!

This whole thing with Miami and deep house has gone on for years but there are alot of great DJ's that don't spin in Miami because the crowd is isn't very open-minded when it comes to music.

this is very true.....unfortunately

Derrick May is an amazing dj and a great person. I saw/met him in Detroit and saw him absolutely crush City Club at a Movement afterparty.

I would love to see him on own turf though that would be special.