Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bling's Tribute to a Local Legend: DJ Roland

Bling

It truly was fitting that his "playground" was the Space Patio. Underneath the stars for his party dubbed "Lunar Sessions", he would orchestrate sets that would leave lasting impressions upon all those within earshot of the speakers.

While he may no longer be underneath those stars at Space on Sunday mornings it matters not, for he has truly risen above the "stars" that he has played for so long and has become a local legend to us all.

I first heard Roland at the Old Club Space. It was a venue dear to me not so much for its decor and "flash" but more so for that Underground feel that it brought and the music that I now have come to love. Whereas Edgar V was my gateway to Trance, Roland was the DJ that introduced me to House.

Though I never once heard a Roland set at the old space patio, I remeber hearing many sets in the main room. The beginnings of my passion for house became apparent.

At the new Space, I would go quite often to hear Roland's main room sets. Each and every set unique from the rest. Buster said it best during a Space broadcast one evening: "Roland is perhaps the most versatile DJ in all of Miami". I echo those sentiments as well. I have never seen a DJ be able to spin so many different styles and do it all with class.

Performance-wise, I have a few memories that stand out in my mind.

1)About a year and half to two years ago, Roland opened for Ferry Corsten. IT was perhaps the most amazing opener I have ever heard.

2) Cafeteria sets - All of Roland's cafeteria sets are fantastic. Many of you know Cafeteria is a difficult party for me to attend, but whenever i heard Roland was there I would make it a point to be there.

3) Voodoo Lounge- Roland sets at Voodoo lounge were incredible as well. I remember the nite I went, Roland met me at the door and "thanked me for his support knowing that I live in Kendall especially." Still waiting on Tigerclaw to send me those sets LOL.

4) Roland on the Space Patio: 2 sets stand out. Morillo nite early this year, and Roger Sanchez nite.

Perhaps its fitting that my fondest Roland memory will be the last of my memories of him at Space. The second I arrived to the patio, he got me right into the DJ booth, alongside Rocky Castro and Roger Sanchez. That morning I was treated to a spectacular set from Roland once more. I truly was lucky to be able to watch the "master" work his magic from behind the decks and drive the patio wild.

Roland the "Man"

One thing I always say to everyone I know is this: "Roland has to be one of the nicest guys I have ever met in the biz."

There are several reasons why I believe this to be true.

1) The first time I went to see him at Cafteria, i was seated on the couch talking to Catalina, and Roland pushed through the crowd, shook my hand and said hello. CLASS ACT!!!

2) Main room at Space: Roland on more then a few occasions, would allow me enjoy his sets in the booth knowing that when I go to Space I go for the long haul. Furthermore, he would always offer me a drink ticket and then we would just talk and chill in the booth.

3) Specs music: About a year ago, Roland spun at Specs music on Sobe. I was one of the only ones that went to this event, along with Carlos and of course Biz. That was the first day I really got to talk to Roland at length. He signed a poster that I still have on my wall to this day saying: "To Danny Thanks For your support" Roland. He did not just write his name like many djs would but further accentuated his loyalty and admiration to his fans with justa few strokes of the pen.

Roland's love for Djing has indeed been lifelong. Since his early teens when he used to spin hip hop, latin, etc... he has enjoyed every moment of it. One only need look at his face as he spun on the Space patio. The vintage Roland grin, and his fervent clapping exemplifed that he loved playing for "us" as much as we loved to "listen" to him.

It was clearly apparent that his hop hop and latin spinning days influenced his sets on the Patio. Where else can a clubber go at 9 am on a Sunday to listen to some of the most exhilirating latin-tinged house around? NOWHERE!!

His commitment to Club Space and his tenure there since the Club's very inception proves his loyalty to his employers (whom I know became like a second family to him), and his fanbase.

I talked to Roland today on the phone on my way home and he informed me that he has been flooded with emails and support from everyone and that he was "individually responding to each and every email." If that doesnt exemplify his character the nothing does.

Roland is indeed still in his Djing' prime. I still believe we have yet to see the best out of him. and thus I say to you Sir as I did on the phone: "I will follow you wherever you will spin at in this city as will your adoring fans. "

Much love and respect,

Daniel

PS (roland will be spinning Dec 1st at Cafeteria. I want to see that place slammed !!!! I know it will...... guess ill be takin off thursday dec 2)

roly2.jpg

rolyandbling.jpg

patio.jpg

young man...u need to stop acting like a homosexual...if i was this "roland" fellow...i woulda done stomped your ass out for making some "shrine" thread about me....what u need to start doing is stop listening to that garbage that u call music and start listening to the real soul classics...

more james brown nigga! more james brown!!

young man...u need to stop acting like a homosexual...if i was this "roland" fellow...i woulda done stomped your ass out for making some "shrine" thread about me....what u need to start doing is stop listening to that garbage that u call music and start listening to the real soul classics...

:Lmao !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...i wouldn't go that far, but No need to make this sound like a Funeral speech.... relax blingster , you'll see Roland in another venue in the future .

Dog, you got problems............ He's just giving Roland his well deserved props. I'm starting to think you're a homosexual and you secretly desire Bling and are just mad because you know he's straight and he doesn't want you,lol. Neither does Roland. LOL, oh well you're heartbroken, This is miami, you're sure to find some gay muscular hunks that are your "type" . Get a life NIGGA. :ghey:

damn

this is the first im hearing about him not being at Space...guess thats what happens when u are in NYC.

all I know is Roladn is one of my favorite djs out there...

After 2 years of trying to get him up to NYC to play for me he finally came up in October and tore the place up.

im sure he will do just fine wherever he goes...and next time im down there, thats where I will be.

Hey look it's an alter-ego that was created just today! :D

Hey look it's an alter-ego that was created just today! :D

what the hell u talking bout young man.....

i be hittin up the clubs on da weekendz......not alot of 35+ spots round hea but i been going to space when u was still in yo daddys nutsack...

learn to have some respect for your elders you whippa snappa

Famous Anus? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: