Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Was anybody on this board around when this club was open in the 80's

This is all i could find on it.

THE SAINT

Even though I was (and still am) a Trocadero Transfer die-hard, it's hard to dismiss how great The Saint was. It's size, design and New York style qualify it as the ultimate Gay disco of the early 80's underground disco era.

Robbie Leslie was my favorite Saint DJ, and he had a special flair for long, impressive underlay mixes and a flowing style that was elegant and extremely professional. He played a "pretty" sound that could be perfectly matched with the multi-color light show of The Saint, and once he got past playing the hits at around 4 a.m., his music was inspiring and uplifting.

While I remain a hard core Bobby Viteritti morning music fan (for his slow, tweaked morning sound), Robbie (who was Bobby's light man at the Poop Deck in Florida during the mid-70's and cites Bobby as his greatest DJ influence) played with a smooth, predictable style that brought an almost formal magic to the final hours of a long Saturday night on the Saint dance floor. I once heard Robbie do a flawless 5 a.m. long mix into the original version of Diana Ross' "Aint No Mountain," which was not only cool, but hard as hell, and I literally got lost on the dance floor once while he played an extremely stylish set of pretty 132 bpm Italian import instrumental tracks that I'd never heard.

The Saint was a great place to get lost in and lose your friends for a few hours, which I always liked because if you did The Saint properly, you were pretty high and didn't have much to say to anyone. It's mazelike dimensions were intriguing and architecturally stunning, and its theatrical qualities gave the huge space a sense of grand style that was unmatched by any other club.

Dancing at the Saint was an unbelievable experience. The dance floor was covered by a 40 foot-high translucent dome that was lit from both directions. A lighting tower with 1,500 fixtures was located in the center of the dance floor and topped by a planetarium-style star projector. At the top of the dome was a hidden door that would open to reveal a huge mirror ball at various points throughout the night.

And the energy on that dance floor! It wasn't unusual for a few thousand people to be on it at the same time, with the overhead dome serving as a brilliant canvas for thousands of colors and shapes that would take you on a great trip and prevent you from ever forgetting the club. I'll never forget my first night there, when the room was blacked out and the solar system slowly faded onto the dome, then began to slowly spin--I'd never seen anything like it and still haven't.

saint%20dance%20floor%2061.jpg

07.jpg07.jpgSAINT15.jpgindex.11.jpgindex.12.jpg42.jpg

Everytime i walk by the building of its location i stand and look around and wish i could experiecne that party for one night. Same thing with 84 king street, 647 broadway, 99 prince street and of course the original soundfactory on 27th street.

the saint was amazing. also xenon and 54 from 78-82 was amazing. esp. the balcony at xenon. what went up there was simply bizzare. we had so much fun. have to tell you some nights of late at crobar have been prety good. takes me back. clubbing for life. peace.

• 7 months later...
no way. Crobar is small compared to the Saint...

The saint was fucking massive....

Palladium Was also massive.

limelight was bigger back then to, more room's, ALOT more room's.

Oh, I wasn't talking about size, more about architecture soundness if we can call it that.

152_106_DSC_4076-nueva.jpg

Every time that ice cannon goes off, I can't breathe. I remember last year at Cream I thought I was going to die. I got choked up every time that thing went off...

One thing I have to say about Amnesia... they have some unbelievable looking dancers.