Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Boggs & Strawberry

nomembername

are two of the new people up for possibly getting into the Hall of Fame...who do you think will be getting in this year?

Jim Abbott - 87-108, 4.25 ERA over 10 seasons (no-hitter on 9/4/93)

Bert Blyleven - 287-250, 3.31 ERA over 22 seasons

Wade Boggs - .328 BA, 1,014 RBI, 3,010 hits over 18 seasons

Tom Candiotti - 151-164, 3.73 ERA over 16 seasons

Dave Concepcion - .267 BA, 950 RBI, 101 HR over 19 seasons

Chili Davis - .274 BA, 1,372 RBI, 350 HR over 19 seasons

Andre Dawson - .279 BA, 1,591 RBI, 438 HR over 21 seasons

Steve Garvey - .294 BA, 1,308 RBI, 272 HR over 19 seasons

Rich Gossage - 124-107, 310 saves, 3.01 ERA over 22 seasons

Tommy John - 288-231, 3.34 ERA over 26 seasons

Mark Langston - 179-158, 3,97 ERA over 16 seasons

Don Mattingly - .307 BA, 1,099 RBI, 222 HR over 14 seasons

Jack McDowell - 127-87, 3.85 ERA over 12 seasons

Willie McGee - .295, 856 RBI, 352 stolen bases over 18 seasons

Jeff Montgomery - 46-52, 304 saves, 3.27 ERA over 13 seasons

Jack Morris - 254-186, 3.90 ERA over 18 seasons

Dale Murphy - .265 BA, 1,266 RBI, 398 HR over 18 seasons

Otis Nixon - .270 BA, 318 RBI, 620 stolen bases over 17 seasons

Dave Parker - .290 BA, 1,493 RBI, 339 HR over 19 seasons

Tony Phillips - .266 BA, 819 RBI, 160 HR over 18 seasons

Jim Rice - .298 BA, 1,451 RBI, 382 HR over 16 seasons

Ryne Sandberg - .285 BA, 1,061 RBI, 282 HR over 16 seasons

Lee Smith - 71-92, 478 saves, 3.03 ERA over 18 seasons

Terry Steinbach - .271 BA, 745 RBI, 162 HR over 14 seasons

Darryl Strawberry - .259 BA, 1,000 RBI, 335 HR over 17 seasons

Bruce Sutter - 68-71, 300 saves, 2.83 ERA over 12 seasons

Alan Trammell - .285, 1,003 RBI, 185 HR over 20 seasons

In this order:

Andre Dawson

Ryne Sandberg

Wade Boggs

Alan Trammell

i doubt dawson gets in. wade boggs is a shoe in.

what the hell did mattingly ever win. :finger:

only way strawberry gets in is if they add how many hits of crack he did to his hit total

What did Mattingly ever win? He's got more gold gloves than practically any player to play the game... mind you he had a bad back injury that affected his career in 87/88. No doubt would have been one of the best players in the game without that injury since he was putting up sick numbers before reaching his prime.

Needless to say - "shoulda, coulda, woulda" just don't count...

So - Boggs should defintely be in on the first try. I have no idea why Strawberry is on the list unless the category under consideration is "Number of Drugs Bust in a Career" - he leads that field.

Anyway - if Mattingly ever got into the Hall of Fame I would freak out. :)

eddie murray

olerud

mcgwire

broke ass fielder

kruk lol

mark grace

terry francona lol

bill buckner lol i can laugh now

he might not even be the best 1st baseman of his era, ifthat is the case he would not make it.

He's never gonna make it anyway... He just didn't have enough "great" seasons to get in. His back robbed him of about 3-4 prime years. The only way he gets in is if the veterans commitee vote him in 50 years from now like they did Phil Rizzuto.

His glove is about the only shining potential that he has going for him at this time. Oh well - he's the reason for me being a Yankee fan since 1987... and much of the "true" Yankee fan base. Only person people turned the tube on to watch while the Yankees played about as good as the Knicks do now a days.

His glove is about the only shining potential that he has going for him at this time. Oh well - he's the reason for me being a Yankee fan since 1987... and much of the "true" Yankee fan base. Only person people turned the tube on to watch while the Yankees played about as good as the Knicks do now a days.

i can remember wanting to be mattingly when i was young...he is the reason i started watching baseball and the reason i am a Yankee fan...

he was a mediocre hitter at best (as far as hall of famers go) and a good fielding first baseman....other than that, the only reason he is so huge is because the Yankee fan base is so huge. He is nothing spectacular outside of that.

That being said, although I dont think he will be a first ballot hall of famer, he will still make it in eventually

That being said, although I dont think he will be a first ballot hall of famer, he will still make it in eventually

This is the third year he will be up... So the first ballot stuff is out of the question already... He's not going to make it anyway...

he was a mediocre hitter at best (as far as hall of famers go) and a good fielding first baseman....other than that, the only reason he is so huge is because the Yankee fan base is so huge. He is nothing spectacular outside of that.

donnie was a dominant player at his position for a good 4-5 yr clip

was a great hitter who never struck out and played redonkulous defense at first.

compare him to your boy Nomaaahh a great 5 yrs then all of a sudden injuries plague him , although with Donnie it was a bad back , which is the worst.

Nomarr still might be able to get over his nagging injuries thing

and yeh Donnie has absolutely no shot at first ballot , and will actually have to struggle to get in.

donnie was a dominant player at his position for a good 4-5 yr clip

was a great hitter who never struck out and played redonkulous defense at first.

compare him to your boy Nomaaahh a great 5 yrs then all of a sudden injuries plague him , although with Donnie it was a bad back , which is the worst.

Nomarr still might be able to get over his nagging injuries thing

and yeh Donnie has absolutely no shot at first ballot , and will actually have to struggle to get in.

who ever said Nomah was/is or should be considered to be a hall of famer?

and 7 years of dominance doesnt make you a hall of famer......just ask Jose Canseco

who ever said Nomah was/is or should be considered to be a hall of famer?

and 7 years of dominance doesnt make you a hall of famer......just ask Jose Canseco

what we dont have a fight for a few weeks and your lookin for one??lol

i am simply comparing the careers of the two and how they both started off dominating the league at their positions allaraound and that injuries plagued them both

even if nomar retires next yr he would get on the ballot and get some votes not saying he would be in but he would get some votes

and liek we have had this convo many times over

the writers simply dont look just at numbers , did you donminate at your position /all around type player for a good stretch of time

NOt harold baines/fred mcgriff 20yrs of good #s but just never the elite player (top 2 or 3 at the position)

good fielding first baseman...

Name just one 1st baseman in your lifetime that can field as good as Don Mattingly... he is the best I have ever seen - period. Number of stolen hits, and catching terrible balls thrown from 2nd, ss and 3rd are uncountable. His defense saved many, many runs. I've yet to see a 1st baseman scoop balls out of the dirt as consistenly as Don... now a days they make a half assed attempt to catch the ball and it goes straight to the first base wall.