Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Boggs & Strawberry

nomembername

Name just one 1st baseman in your lifetime that can field as good as Don Mattingly... he is the best I have ever seen - period. Number of stolen hits, and catching terrible balls thrown from 2nd, ss and 3rd are uncountable. His defense saved many, many runs. I've yet to see a 1st baseman scoop balls out of the dirt as consistenly as Don... now a days they make a half assed attempt to catch the ball and it goes straight to the first base wall.

as much as i love Donnie and as great as his defense was , keith hernandez was a better fielding first baseman

I wouldnt expect anything less from Yankees fans Just like cases will be made for the former Red Sox greats that were the focus of the team at their time.....

But I'm going on pure reason here. My case for Jose Canseco is a perfect example. Jose DOMINATED the sport during the prime of his career....hitting, running, and fielding being seecond to none. Now does he deserve to be in the hall of fame?

Mattingly had his run and was a solid first baseman....but he had a shortened career (whatever the reason doesnt matter) and his numbers as well as overall play and longevity are mediocre at best amongst hall of famers

nah bro....we got nothing to battle about till next spring. I'll wait till than to start arguing again

;)

(gotta admit, it displays the bitterness in this rivalry and its not like it will ever end)

yeh things will get heated again im sure earlier than that though , once the first few free agent signings take placce

I dont agree with your canseco argument though cuz he was a home run hitter pure and simple , 2-3 good yrs with stolen bases

struck out a ton , didnt hit for avg. kept coming back when he should have retired.plaugued by steroid allegations and several arrests

those things are keeping him out of the hall

Donnie had about 5-6 HOF seasons and 6 below average seasons. (Offensively for a 1st baseman). He's not going to get in and he shouldn't... It's the same arguement with Guidry... Very nice career, but just not enough HOF type of seasons to warrant consideration..

as much as i love Donnie and as great as his defense was , keith hernandez was a better fielding first baseman

For some reason I don't hold National League fielders at the same grading scale as American Leaguers... National League fielders have the benefit of one less batter every game that you have to face. The batting average for pitchers back in the 80's was probably .080. Maybe it's a stupid arguement, but that's just me. :)

For some reason I don't hold National League fielders at the same grading scale as American Leaguers... National League fielders have the benefit of one less batter every game that you have to face. The batting average for pitchers back in the 80's was probably .080. Maybe it's a stupid arguement, but that's just me. :)

if thats the case, we can open up the whole arguement about pitchers in the hall of fame from the national league or pitching prior to the DH

....but thats something none of us want to get into so lets drop it completely

i hear ya

i just remember arguing ad naseum for yrs with my met fans friends , but eventually conceded that Hernandez was a little bit better as a fielder , and alot better at sniffin coke