Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Death of the Sound Factory (1995)

Great post Silverbull.

"Despite its absurd name, Twilo..." LOL LOL LOL what do the kiddies around here think of THAT line lol

This story is also great for putting things into perspective. What we went through in 2001-03 or now or whenever has all happened before... things go in cycles and it hasn't been the end of the world (yet lol).

it seems that when trying to tell the history. you gotta make sure u are talking about and only about house music and that movement. or else people will get confused and try to talk about the rave movement. but this is a great read, i read this a couple of weeks ago.

• 2 months later...
Seen it and heard it all.

I am from Detroit, so i know well about its contributions.

All this talk about club culture, and we leave out one very important name FRANKIE BONES.

He is the one that brought the current party atmosphere and style to the United States, and he brought it from the UK, which had been having those sorts of parties for a while.

You are talking more about the R&B or DISCO house, things like studio54, etc.

I think todays scene is much more rooted in the Rave Culture, whose techno sounds were started in Detroit, the sound was brought to europe, and the culture was imported to america, more specifically Brooklyn in 1990.

I was a NASA baby myself, a little too young to really know what is being talked about here. But it is still a good read, and all the stuff about people playing the wall and showing up to be seen and not to dance almost brings a tear to my eye.

I also have to agree that you shouldn't write something like this about the NY dance scene and leave Frankie Bones out. Some love him, some hate, most are somewhere in between, but leaving him out is like writing about NY sports and leaving out Steinbrenner or Wellington Mara.

Well thats yet an other side of the culture. Frankie bones is more on the rave/techno scene side of things. So in a way he doesnt fit into exactly this story. Only after 1989 when he came back to brooklyn from the uk did he do his storm raves. This side of the culture is usually not used in refernce to the house music culture history other than a side note. Like when house gave birth to techno and techno gave birth to trance type of refernce. So yes frankie bones is a legend but not in this scene. But ask him where he got some inspiration from and he will tell you, watch MAESTRO hes on there also talking about the paradise garage and larry levan.

im personally not talking bout trance or techno im talking bout house and that is what inspired both techno and trance. Just like old school r&b, funk, jazz and rock were all played at the paradise garage alongside the sound that was emerging that became house. HOUSE is from NYC and CHICAGO , while TECHNO is from DETROIT its historically proven. TRANCE (yuck) was born out of the gates of hell,lol, but seriously was an offspring form techno.
that was absolutely amazing your a very good writer