Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Girls who always stand with their arms folded = Insecurity?

marconj

A friend of mine, that I know is very insecure with herself, always stands around with her arms folded in front of her chest. Almost as if she is hiding behind her arms. Its not like she has a big chest she is hiding. Last night I'm at the gym banging out my hour of cardio, I look around and I see at least 3 or 4 girls walking around with their arms folded in front of them. Each of them seemed as if they were hiding something. One girl, really cute (young too), walking around with one of the salesmen showing her around walked around the whole gym like that.

Do you think this is a sign of insecurity or purely coincidence?

i usually do that when i have nothing to occupy my hands with...like if im listening to someone like a boss or teacher i'd fold them or put them on my lap (but the i tend to fidget so i mostly fold them)......

but it is the bitch stance more so than an insecurity thing...however since ur friend feels insecure/uncomfortable she may do because she has nothing to do with her hands

love non-verbal communication topics :cool:

there's so much still to learn about this, it's never boring (at least to those who have the patience and interest in learning about it)

im not a psycho-logist... but i'd say girls that cross their arms:

A) to do something with them

B) bitchy pose

C) self conscious about something....

yeah i read that too....but when i do it im not always being defensive so i dont think thats the full meaning

....i'm sure there are many reasons....most of the time when i do it it's because i have nothing else to do with my hands....it's just a comfortable stance for me.

.....some people always touch the person they are talking to ....some people fidget ...some cross arms........i think more than anything it is a comfort thing..but also can be a defensive thing...like a wall ...personal space etc.....if i have nothing to do with my arms...i tend to cross one to the other side and rest the other elbow on it...hard to explain lol..

i do this A LOT and it is purely for one reason: its comfortable for me. people always tell me it looks bitchy or something but that is where i am comfortable with my arms. not to hide anything or because i am insecure. maybe i've done that all my life for some reason.

i usually do that when i have nothing to occupy my hands with...like if im listening to someone like a boss or teacher i'd fold them or put them on my lap (but the i tend to fidget so i mostly fold them)......

but it is the bitch stance more so than an insecurity thing...however since ur friend feels insecure/uncomfortable she may do because she has nothing to do with her hands

I'll give both of you something to do with your hands

OH!

Body Language: Folded arms in front of you means you are in a confrontational position. You do not like the situation your in or feel threatned. Folded arms in front of you states you are not approachable and do not want someone in your personal space. Also, can be construed as a signal stay away I don't want to be bothered. Or being cold.

This definately describes the psycho I had in mind when I started this thread - and NO she is not my GF either.

It is a defensive stance, and other than the things already mentioned, it can be used to be antisocial without seeming antisocial as well.

Everyone knows on some level, even if they dont realize it, all the subtleties of body language. Just like how animals can read each other's intentions by posture alone. By standing with your arms folded (and especially your back to a wall) it says louder than words that you are not comfortable there and that you wish to be left alone.

So like i said, it's a position for the antisocial, whatever the reasons they have for being antisocial. (insecure, bitch, whatever)

maybe we should walk around with arms:

ever so slightly raised to the side of our bodies..

with our elbows pointed outward..

and our hands in a fist..

like the guys in soundfactory?

explain that one to me.

They're just permanently stuck like that....