iamme

Good idea??  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Good idea??

• Yes
    • No
    • I want a penguin

here's the deal:

want to relearn/master French so i can actually use it in my career. right now at a job which is bleh and in a place i dont care to be...whatever...so thinking of doing an intensive french program in France for 3 months.

it seems like this is the only convenient time i will be able to do it. if i get another job i like or is in the direction i wish to go it will be much harder to do something like this...or if i go for my MBA or another graduate degree ill be tied up for a while. so...

i like this idea cuz 1) i can put that ish on my resume and it should open some more opp's 2) get the fvck out of MD 3) its a pseudo vacation 4) did i mentioned i'd not be in MD?

this will more or less wipe out my savings but the experience and having french as an asset might trump whatever savings i liquidate...

opinions/ideas?

french is one of the most useful languages - spoken throughout europe, good for business, good for the IMF, Worldbank, and UN in general (great place to work)...

..and it'll be that much easier for me to learn italian when ive amstered french! :D

Why not??

Is it going to kill you if you do? NO..so just go for it..it's always good to know another language..why do even need a poll to help you decide this??

poll just got thrown up there. its an investment in myself, yes, but i also will be draining all my savings cuz i cant work there unless im paid under the table. i guess it comes down to $$$ once again :smile2:

poll just got thrown up there. its an investment in myself, yes, but i also will be draining all my savings cuz i cant work there unless im paid under the table. i guess it comes down to $$$ once again :smile2:

Well then you cant expect us to help you decide..because you're not really looking for opinions if it's all about financial issues..ju know?

I say do it (and get me a penguin while you're at it) ;)

international biz i guess....

but it would really help if i wanted to get into the Worldbank/IMF/FAO (wher emy dad worked in Rome)....2 of there "official" languages are required...i hope to have 3 by the time im able (if i can even get an interview) to join

i think you should jump on arabic...

i think it will take longer than 3 months for that...even though i can understand it, i cant read, write, and have serious trouble putting together sentences. i cant even recite the alphabet anymore. arabic is much tougher than french.

let me tell you iamme (coming from a fluent french speaker)

The best way to learn a language is to be immersed in that language completely. Seeing it in magazines, advertisements, television, and in conversation, you will learn the language better than in any classroom

I regret not going to France for a Semester in College. I would have gone to the sorbonne, and i didn't cuz i was in a relationship (foolish, i know).

Where is the program located? I think you should do it. It will be fun, exciting, and you will never regret not doing it.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a pm

Bonne Chance... :D

like i told funk..

u can work in France, Surinam, Algeria, French Guyana, Haiti, parts of Spain, Corsica, Quebec if u re-learn french.....

i duno...i wouldnt jump on it....id rather learn Spanish

well, i have a solid base when it comes to French. I would be able to pick up Spanish easier if i was fluent in French.

gmc: its located in Paris

i duno..goin thru french to learn spanish..when u already have a base in it..seems kinda time consuming...why take the scenic route when u can just go express?

i really have no proper answer for that...besides convenience i guess (i have a cousin in paris, french should be my second language (LEB), and it will be easier to learn at the moement)

and look....

people are gonna trash france and the french people, but i gotta tell you, i've been to Paris 3X in the last 6 yrs, and there's something magical there. There's so much to do, the metro is easy, the food is the BEST, i can go on....

Plus it's such a beautiful city. You'll learn the language so well if you go there

My father was treasurer of an international ocean mining company and he spoke french which assisted in his business trips to New Caledonia, France, Belguim, and parts of Africa.

dude do you get girls with that line, cause that shit aint working on me...