Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Junior's Friday parties

having heard junior maybe 20 times over the last year, I thought this set friday feb 4 was one of his less interesting and the club itself lacking energy and cohesion. one month ago at spirit I preferred junior's music and while the crowd was even sparser then, it was more attractive imo. yes there was a mix of people last night but not as many junior diehards as I would see at an average discotq or crobar performance. imo spirit simply draws a low quality crowd. yes it was mixed but not a quality mix.

these songs were the notables of the evening: big love was best, also safe from harm, u used 2 hold me and house of joy. but I was disappointed that junior didnt play MORE big records. at discotq or crobar he would pull out maroon 5, losing my religion, do it properly, systems of silence & other big numbers from his radio show and recent CDs. I thought he didnt play many big numbers last night and also the rhythm beats, while intellectually or sonically interseting to hear his mechanics, were also not as involving as the progressive stuff he wld play at an average discotq or crobar. by 6, he was not leading to any huge finale, although he did play a sweet female trance-y vocal, as I wld expect from junuir at that time, so rather than stay I just left. the crowd had dwindled to 15% capacity by then and the earlier disorganized vibe became just desolate. on a scheduling basis, while I like junior once a month on fridays at spirit, I actually hope that JVM moves this party somewhere else by spring or summer. once a month at crobar or the 'new' sound factory space on 46th maybe. I just cannot enjoy spirit. junior at twilo used to be great, but this space has no vibe. [the fact that Made promotions chose spirit is very disappointing, and makes their good boookings lineup less attractive as a party option.]

I didnt think junior played his best songs nor did he do much with the instrumental passages, altho at times it was rhythmically or intellectually interesting to see what he was doing.

also, spirit did not honour the stated $25 admission at 1: am or so. the girl wanted $30 and when i said its supposed to be $25 she disagreed & demamnded $30. $5 extra doesnt make a finjacial difference but things like that give me a worse impression of the club and event organization. I had been intending to see junior every month at spirit but I think Im taking next month off, I hope the radio show is great for the next two months & that will make me come back in april. I know he can play much better than last night & the set overall was meandering and did not have the dramatic storybook that junior usually does. the crowd was uninspiring and also uninspired.

I LOVE the friday 11 pm -6-8 am schedule.

that alone made discotq genius along with the intimate setting. face it there was a VIBE EVERY time I attended discotq. the 2 spirit fridays have lacked vibe. junior still does day parties for special events. so go then.

as his crowd is growing older & also changing somewhat, the new 11-8 hours are the best idea. Crobar runs this schedule in almost every case & its packed & its rocking.

I think a problem with spirrit is its a terrible club/organization. with jon peters as saturday resident, its going to get that crowd every weekend, including fridays.

crobar is able to promote its events weekly based on the dj & the quality experience. spirit does nothing they have crappy JP & made has some good djs but since its at hellhole spirit i wont go.

DT himself saw the light hes playing crobar.

juniors crobar sets, including disgraceland when he shared the bill with other acts, had MORE VIBE and MORE junior-ites than spirit!

junior shoukld do crobar once a month, maybe a THURSDAY as thats an open day on crobars calendar.

Or crobar can bring junior in monthly as they do with sanchez, sander & sasha. look MORALES is playing Crobar now, every DJ has realized that Spirit is a sh*thouse and its sad that made books quality talent at that sh*thouse.

i sincerely hope junior looks elsewhere like crobar or the new sound factory/kitchen/morillo space.

hell an avalon one off would be fun just to see how they get along in 2005; and crazily enough a big event at Ikon.black/exit woukld be fun.

what about an EARTH reunion huge one off thsi year at Ikon?

Or do it at crobar or avalon & it will be packed.

junior at spirit is not drawing so well and the vibe is non-existant. the problem is not junior or the hours its the club.

junior made almost every discotq set memorable & thats the vibe I seek from him. and even if crobar disgraceland was a slightly odd setting, many in the crowd appreciated junior & his music was breathing & flowing at crobar.

at spirit theres no vibe on ventilation, its like 1 huge closet or the smell & feel of a high school locker room.

JVM please move junior to crobar or sound factory soon. spirit is a sh*thouse.

rating: 4 on a 10 scale.

ohhh Clinton really just shut up bro...your an ass.what did u cut and paste this from the jvm board and put it on here?IF YOU DONT LIKE SPIRIT DONT GO!!!! stop being a whiny little pussy just cuz you want Junior to play @ Crobar or the Old SF on 46th st.ive looked through your posts and how many times you talk about Junior should be at crobar blah blah blah.well hes not and thats just the way it is..WE ARE THE VIBE sounds like you go to Spirit already thinking your gonna have a bad time and thats why you do.

clinton with all respect....

well you need to take it easy and not be so aniltical about things...the money situation, well you see some of the people that go into clubs... not the nicest, eh? well those people at the door have to meet all of them... you however can just look the other way... my point is the door peps have a hard job, and if you give fuss over five bucks, well i would have made you pay fourty just for slowing things down and being a well... annoying......idk i use to love those times when you were at a club at 11am and there was maybe fourty people in the whole place... but the vibe was just as the same if it were a thousand... if the music is good, dont worry how many people are in the place... and so many people complain about the vibe...the vibe.... well you are the vibe, dont rely on other people to make you feel good... you'll be forever sad if you live life like that.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Let me put it this way: Junior in the past couple years had residencies at Exit, Discoteque, Sound Factory, and now Spirit. Every single party fell off after a couple weeks. Could it possibly be that the problem isn't the venue, but the DJ himself?

It seems like Clinton is hoping that Crobar will scoop Junior up so he could ride their wave of success. If he started playing at Crobar, that party would be amazing for a couple weeks, then predictably go downhill like his other parties. How many excuses will we hear then?

no spirit sucks with every DJ ive ever heard there except one set by morales, 1 by sanchez & one by dj vibe.

morales & sanchez split for the far far better crobar.

once dj vibe plays his made makeup gig I hope he mioves to crobar like hernan & sander & digweed & cox & DT and every smart great dj did.

anybody who says spirit is a good club is either lying or dumb.

junior can be the best dj still but not at spirit.

enjoy your JP and nj guidos.

i actually thought juniors set was one of his best in a while.. honestly i thought hes been kind of off lately but friday he was on.. good track selectiion.. mostly big records actually, kinda on the more mainstream side.. but good. mixing has improved too, not as off as usual. most fun id had at junior in a while

clinton with all respect....

well you need to take it easy and not be so aniltical about things...the money situation, well you see some of the people that go into clubs... not the nicest, eh? well those people at the door have to meet all of them... you however can just look the other way... my point is the door peps have a hard job, and if you give fuss over five bucks, well i would have made you pay fourty just for slowing things down and being a well... annoying......idk i use to love those times when you were at a club at 11am and there was maybe fourty people in the whole place... but the vibe was just as the same if it were a thousand... if the music is good, dont worry how many people are in the place... and so many people complain about the vibe...the vibe.... well you are the vibe, dont rely on other people to make you feel good... you'll be forever sad if you live life like that.

:party::werd::werd::werd::werd::werd:

Could not have said it any better.

Whats so great about Crobar? I don't think that any of the NY mega clubs are anything to brag about. I have enjoyed my self at all the mega clubs Spirit, Avalon, and Crobar. Yet, all these clubs lack a strong following. Every one just flocks around following the superstar DJs. The only club that seems to have something close to a loyal following is Spirit with JP. The only problem with that is that scene is almost over. JP and Factory were one you can not have one with out the other. NY needs fresh blood we need a club to brag about. A place where people from other cities and countries will kill to visit. This is a city of many legendary clubs: Paradise Garage, Sound Factory, Twillo, Vinyl, and Shelter. I do agree that the scene right now is ascending. Everything looks positive but one of these clubs needs to take the risk and create a solid following. Where are the Shelterheads, Factoryheads, the Twillites?

yeah its a big night scene now. coming up: morillo; then xsander at crobar.

big nights if you can represent amongt the chaos.

im a huge junior fan & he can definitely bring it. maybe I wasnt at my peak on friday. I'll be back for junior by spring maybe sooner.