Clubplanet Nightlife Community

TRANCE or HOUSE

mjm

Ummmm... what about breaks, brokenbeat, ambient, downtempo, techno, trip-hop, acid jazz, etc...? :confused:

what about it??

what are your thoughts on this thread??? it seems you keep avoiding it with your pointless posts. So i would like to know what you have to say??

what about it??

what are your thoughts on this thread??? it seems you keep avoiding it with your pointless posts. So i would like to know what you have to say??

I think the "or" in the threads title biasses the posters into one or another ... and he was trying to gather all genres of EDM together. ;)

i've been watching this thread and just had to add my .02... as someone who attended their 15th wmc this year, i've been through a lot of ups and down with this music. many permutations of the basic 4 on the floor disco beat. and to this day, i can only answer to the question: "i like dance music."

see, the music industry is one big pie, and dance music is a small enough sliver of that as it is. as it is, it would be absurd to claim the importance for dance music that we seem to. it means a lot to us because we "get it" but it's such a small piece of the pie that the rest of the industry gets a laugh out of us. well, i don't mind that so much, but as we have created more divisions amongst ourselves over the years and intensified those divisions and built higher walls between our sub-genres, well our collective ship has taken on water. i doubt it could totally sink but look at the decline in sales of every type of dance music, and the worldwide decline in clubnights, etc. it's still strong in some places like miami, but most of you would agree that hip hop has displace a huge amount of the dance music diaspora that was once to be found all over south beach. as one industry heavyweight told me recently regarding dance music, "nobody gives a fuck." of course he then wrote me a check for the remix i had just completed for him and thanked me, so at least *one person* gave a fuck, that day anyway.

some of you know me or of me, and the music i have made and played over the years, and some of you dont. i was resistant to the type of trance a lot of you like because it got a little too "big sounding" for me. i warmed up to it though because i toured with tiesto for 2 years and saw how much it meant to a lot of people. not that i was or am going to start making or playing tracks at 140 bpm, but i wont ever question another's vision. in fact, in retrospect, i like that type of trance somewhat better than the head-up-it's-own arse progressive that resulted as a kneejerk reaction to that type of trance... you know, the anonymous-sounding dark stuff with a kickdrum, congaloop, echoeffects and scary male vocal samples? its was great for a minute but damn, 2 years of that and people really started to hate progressive. i'm guilty of that somewhat. i'm glad prog has found its way again, and funny thing is, its the trance fans that are digging it, the old prog fans of yore are into like tech house and stuff. which i like a lot too. i just like dance music.

i could type on and one on this topic, but it would be the post equivalent of some 14 minute epic house track from 1995 and would bore most of you to tears. i'll keep it to 9 minutes instead. i just think that a big portion of dance music's strength in the 90's came from a mutli genre appreciation, and a big rave scene that always had different styles of music at every party. in the main room even. don't know if that would work now, but it's worth remembering for the paradigm shift. i just like *good* dance music.

so, agreed on one big family. and skytraveler, 'sup dude. thanks for listening still.

peace

noel sanger

woooooo wooooooo woooooooo is this the real noel sanger ?? :eek:

great fuckin post btw and even tho i preffer trance .. i love all dance music !! :bowdown:

:aright:

i used to like trance...i use to spin trance (+ house and breaks).... we're talking '92-'98ish trance though....

but once it hit the "cookie-cutter" format that it's developed (errr....abated, rather) into in the recent 5+ years, i lost interest. there are a few (very few, mind you) that are making attempts at breaking the mold, but there's little hope since the genre has hit an almost "mini-pop" bearing within the electronic music realm.

tell me...where is the Two Full Moons and a Trout (Caspar Pound rmx) of today?... no Binary Finary, no Cafe Del Mar, no Be As One, no Gamemaster... just the same recycled high-hat line for years.... same kick, same snare... same build/breakdown format with the exact same measure count sequence... same pad/strings...etc etc etc, and so on.

aside from the preset production, it seems the trance DJs (for the most part) today don't care. when PVD gets a buttload of cash to show up and does an amateur maneuver like push the 12" during a pad/string section (ie: "wheerriiirrrreeerrriirrrrr!!!"), it doesn't provide much foundation for

argument regarding overall skills of today's trance dj.

i could go on and on.... i've seen/heard this genre go through its' motions since the early 90s. there was a time where i would get excited over the next big trance track. i can't remember when the last time that was though...

fortunately, other genres continue to progress...especially tech-house. so much interesting and intelligent stuff happening in that department lately...

i used to like trance...i use to spin trance (+ house and breaks).... we're talking '92-'98ish trance though....

but once it hit the "cookie-cutter" format that it's developed (errr....abated, rather) into in the recent 5+ years, i lost interest. there are a few (very few, mind you) that are making attempts at breaking the mold, but there's little hope since the genre has hit an almost "mini-pop" bearing within the electronic music realm.

tell me...where is the Two Full Moons and a Trout (Caspar Pound rmx) of today?... no Binary Finary, no Cafe Del Mar, no Be As One, no Gamemaster... just the same recycled high-hat line for years.... same kick, same snare... same build/breakdown format with the exact same measure count sequence... same pad/strings...etc etc etc, and so on.

aside from the preset production, it seems the trance DJs (for the most part) today don't care. when PVD gets a buttload of cash to show up and does an amateur maneuver like push the 12" during a pad/string section (ie: "wheerriiirrrreeerrriirrrrr!!!"), it doesn't provide much foundation for

argument regarding overall skills of today's trance dj.

i could go on and on.... i've seen/heard this genre go through its' motions since the early 90s. there was a time where i would get excited over the next big trance track. i can't remember when the last time that was though...

fortunately, other genres continue to progress...especially tech-house. so much interesting and intelligent stuff happening in that department lately...

i would like to know .. if you lost intrest in trance so long ago .. how can you say nothing worthwhile has come out after you stopped ?? dude you are mentioning cafe del mar ?? 6 years ago roughly ???? c'mon dude , thats kinda ignorant on your side .. i have been listening to trance since then as well and i do admit alot of crap came out and was garbage .. but there were always the dj's that kept it real . and the trance of today .. there is no way you can compare the trance of yesterday too .. NOT AT ALL !! NO WAY !! the trance of today is fucking amazing compared to the trance of yesterday .. it "HAS" evolved ! you just gave up on it a bit too soon. and went along with everyone else (bandwagon) THAT TALKED SHIT ABOUT THE GENRE :rolleyes: thats what most people are known for .. now , if your taste in music changed , thats something else ! but dont say that trance went to the cookie cutter or whatever .. you were just to lazy too look for it in the right places.. and decided it was easier to change your likes according to whatever else everyone else was listening to.. ;) bring me the best set of the era you liked trance and ill bet you ill have any trance dj of today make that shit look like baby music .

bring me the best set of the era you liked trance and ill bet you ill have any trance dj of today make that shit look like baby music .

bro, I think you're exhagerating a little bit there by saying music from back then would sound like baby music...check this set from approximately 6 years ago, you'll be amazed! :eek:CLICK HERE

bro, I think you're exhagerating a little bit there by saying music from back then would sound like baby music...check this set from approximately 6 years ago, you'll be amazed! :eek:CLICK HERE

i didnt say it "was"a baby music .. i said the trance of today would make it sound like baby music .. used that as an expression only . i loved trance back then as well .. but theres just no comparison .. not even close !

Koky, I kind of see what djkable was saying. When Trance was new and fresh it was also more innocent and experimental. There's a certain linear pattern that kind of made it predictable with most tracks over the years. I happen to love newer Trance too, but I've got so much respect for the older pioneering sounds of guys like Juno Reactor, or the older BT titles. I think even Ferry Corsten admitted a couple of years back that he yearns for the days when Trance and Progressive were newer, dirtier, less polished.

Koky, I think me, you, and many others here have been able to stay Trance fans b/c we listen to different types of Trance, and we're open to listening to other stuff as well. When someone limits himself to listening to nothing but Hard Trance, or only Psychedelic, Tech Trance, Triba Housel, or Disco House, then it can get old after a while. Some of you guys diss Bling for equally liking House and Trance, but I applaud him for keeping an open mind and realizing that good music is good music regardless of genre.

Also big ups to Noel Sanger on his post for not being afraid to critique the sound he's most associated with, Progressive, and for telling others to keep an open mind with all types of Dance music.

Koky, I kind of see what djkable was saying. When Trance was new and fresh it was also more innocent and experimental. There's a certain linear pattern that kind of made it predictable with most tracks over the years. I happen to love newer Trance too, but I've got so much respect for the older pioneering sounds of guys like Juno Reactor, or the older BT titles. I think even Ferry Corsten admitted a couple of years back that he yearns for the days when Trance and Progressive were newer, dirtier, less polished.

Koky, I think me, you, and many others here have been able to stay Trance fans b/c we listen to different types of Trance, and we're open to listening to other stuff as well. When someone limits himself to listening to nothing but Hard Trance, or only Psychedelic, Tech Trance, Triba Housel, or Disco House, then it can get old after a while. Some of you guys diss Bling for equally liking House and Trance, but I applaud him for keeping an open mind and realizing that good music is good music regardless of genre.

Also big ups to Noel Sanger on his post for not being afraid to critique the sound he's most associated with, Progressive, and for telling others to keep an open ming with all types of Dance music.

I agree with you once again.

Here’s a thought. DJs, should forget the genre issue altogether and just play what they like and what the crowd wants. Don’t put a label to it. Just play it.

“If it’s got a beat, it’s dance!†--Chubby Checker WMC’05

TRANCE ruled the beach in the beginning ?!?!? maybe the beginning for some people ... i got nothing against trance, but not true

sup jimmy. long time no talk.

True like u said it was the beginning for some people. I have always liked EDM, its just i really never knew where to go & listen to that type of music until I came across one club.

WHICH ONE CLUB BACK IN THE DAYS AROUND 99-00, 01 WAS ONE OF THE HOTTEST TRANCE NIGHTSPOTS IN SOBE??

You can ask a shit load of peeps what was one of hottest nightspots back in the day when Space was just gettng started on SOBE. I'm not gonna answer I just wanna see who knowS what that place was. Then there was Level.

I had in both venues the most incredicle times i think i will ever have in a club listening to trance. I miss those days.

Grant it, the music style may have stayed the same & people started losing interest, but there are other aspects as to why trance died out. I see it as the bad fame it got & for the stereotyping the trance scene got & made it seem that the house scene was in nowhere near in comparison to the trance scene. People hear Bash on the trance scene again making it seem that house has stayed on top because of its style. I really think not.

IF someone really liked a style of music mainly trance-

WHY WOULDN'T THEY COME BACK OUT TO SHOW SUPPPORT FOR THE TYPE OF MUSIC THE WERE DIEHARD FANS OF??

Instead day in & day out trance thread after trance thread we get the ones who onced like trance Bashing on it for what? To prove what point that they are hypocrites?? i mean come on be for real.

so i say again.

Lets analyze the bashing on trance:

every trance bashing post is about kiddie ravers/ glowstix/ doing drugs & this & that.

So what about the HOUSE scene??

YOU SEE EVERYONE HAS POINTED OUT THERE OPINIONS ON EITHER SCENE WHETHER IT BE TRANCE OR HOUSE. WHICH IS PARTIALLYWHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. I'M SIMPLY POSTING ON THE STEREOTYPING TRANCE GETS.

i would like to know .. if you lost intrest in trance so long ago .. how can you say nothing worthwhile has come out after you stopped ?? dude you are mentioning cafe del mar ?? 6 years ago roughly ???? c'mon dude , thats kinda ignorant on your side .. i have been listening to trance since then as well and i do admit alot of crap came out and was garbage .. but there were always the dj's that kept it real . and the trance of today .. there is no way you can compare the trance of yesterday too .. NOT AT ALL !! NO WAY !! the trance of today is fucking amazing compared to the trance of yesterday .. it "HAS" evolved ! you just gave up on it a bit too soon. and went along with everyone else (bandwagon) THAT TALKED SHIT ABOUT THE GENRE :rolleyes: thats what most people are known for .. now , if your taste in music changed , thats something else ! but dont say that trance went to the cookie cutter or whatever .. you were just to lazy too look for it in the right places.. and decided it was easier to change your likes according to whatever else everyone else was listening to.. ;) bring me the best set of the era you liked trance and ill bet you ill have any trance dj of today make that shit look like baby music .

before you start pointing fingers, as if you know me so well.... you picked a single part out of what i was saying, yet failed conveniently to include the rest... ie: i admitted that there are few that are pushing the genre in an avant-garde direction.

you call me "ignorant", yet deny the existence of the preformatted direction most trance has taken. interesting...

i'm too lazy to look for it? such is not the case... and even if it was - who has to look for it, when it's force-fed in so many places i stop in regarding anything even related to electronic music? unless you are with me each day in the record stores and online searches, how would you know a single thing about my browsing practices?

you're right about comparing today's trance to yesterday's...except i have a complete opposite opinion of why that is... as i mentioned before, to me, it's been an abated process... why mention the tracks from years ago? because tracks like that still hold their value. a lot of today's trance is easily forgettable because of consistent redundancy from one track to the next...

again, that's my opinion. i obviously don't get worked up about this kind of stuff like you do. i don't feel the need to defend my preferred genre(s)... i love music. and i love listening and playing many various forms of it. i formulate my own opinions, not based on others'. i don't expect you to like/dislike the same things i do... but there's no basis to come at me as if i'm some "bandwagon" jumper... (speaking of, how many times has that term been used in reference to this type of discussion on this board?....who's jumpin' on and screwin' the tuba now?)...