Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tragedy in Marlboro

This story is about my neighbor. Don't know if anyone lives in the area but it's a devastating story. The service is at 10am at St. Gabriels on Tuesday.

Teen learning to park accidentally kills mother

Published in the Asbury Park Press 04/15/05

By A. SCOTT FERGUSON

STAFF WRITER

MARLBORO — A 16-year-old girl, learning to parallel-park on a quiet street Thursday afternoon, struck and killed her mother in what is being called a "horrible accident," the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office said.

The 44-year-old woman was pronounced dead at the scene a short time after the accident was reported to township police at 2:15 p.m., Robert A. Honecker Jr., first assistant county prosecutor, said Thursday night.

The names of the woman and her daughter were withheld by authorities pending notification of family members.

"What we have here is a very tragic situation," Honecker said Thursday night after being briefed by investigators about the day's events. "At this point, and this only a preliminary investigation right now, it appears to be a horrible accident. That's all I can say."

Investigators late Thursday were still trying to piece together what happened, but the accident occurred near East Frances and Burr avenues just north of Route 520 in the township's Robertsville section.

The teenager, who had a valid learner's permit, was practicing parallel parking with her mother standing by the car and watching. The two had even set up cones in the street, Honecker said.

Several neighbors told investigators that the girl was trying to back up when she pressed down on the accelerator, and the car went back onto the curb and struck the woman, Honecker said.

Police were called almost immediately, but the woman was pronounced dead a short time later.

While the family's name was not released Thursday, Honecker did note that the girl's father had been notified and came to the scene to take his daughter away.

Police closed streets in the area to traffic. Officers at the scene referred all questions to the Prosecutor's Office.

Authorities didn't know Thursday night if the family lived in the area where the accident happened or if the mother and daughter were just using the streets to practice driving.

In addition to police and prosecutor's investigators, the Monmouth County's Serious Collision Analysis Response Team was assisting in the investigation.

wow!! that is horrible............ how did it happen though?

i heard that the girl was practicing parallel parking and accidently hit the accelerator and the car flew back and hit the mother. this is such a sad story, especially that it happened in my town

i heard that the girl was practicing parallel parking and accidently hit the accelerator and the car flew back and hit the mother. this is such a sad story, especially that it happened in my town

well thats what the article said, but damn, maybe she thought she was hitting the brake? :shaky:

really sad tho. :(

yeah it's extremely tragic and still so hard to believe. I mean it seems like just the other day I was driving down my block and I saw her in the car with her mom. She JUST got her permit. I only saw the aftermath (police cars, police tape around the house, ambulances and all my neighbors) but supposedly her mother was telling her to straighten out and the girl thought she had put the car in drive but in reality it was reverse. Somehow after she struck her mother, she panicked and turned the wheel real quick and went into the fence on the side of their house. Now we've all put flowers at that spot. I'll be attending the funeral as well tomorrow. St. Gabriels at 10 for anyone who lives in the area or knows the family.

That is so ironic. Just yesterday in Philly, a 15 year old girl was practicing driving (without a permit), and drove up a neighbor's front yard. She was driving toward a toddler when the baby's 18 year old mother pushed the baby out of the way and got hit by the car. She was pinned under the car and died.

I remember when I got my license my dad said, "Give a kid a car and you might as well give them a gun. It could kill just as easily."

You know, something like that happened to me, but not tragic. I was learning how to drive also, but I accidentally thought the gas pedal was a break when I was backing up & I ran over my parents mailbox! I was upset about that....can't even imagine a person. OMG :unhappy: