Clubplanet Nightlife Community

New Brunswick Nightlife

New Brunswick has not been the same since the Melody & Roxy closed. The fact that they are cracking down on all these places sux. Most of those places were alot of fun a few years ago, but lately they have all just become an upscale college bar playing the same shit that they play on Easton Ave at all the real college bars. So as far as I am concerned let them get fined for trying to be what they are not. I would only defend Nova Tera for truely being different and providing after dinner entertainment. The rest of those places sucked now anyway.

The city of New Brunswick is just being greedy right now and this too shall pass.

It's all very weak. The young professional crowd those places attract are going to be less likely to move into the new condos. Hoboken/Jersey City have it right- there should be nightlife to attract the kind of people that will keep pumping money into the city. New Brunswick doesn't have to be a college town.

How hard is it to get a caberet lic. in New Brunswick?

If it is just a matter of money, then they can pay that instead of fines. It does suck, but if some of the bars/nightclubs have a caberet lic. shouldn't everyone else who is pushing the same type of entertainment have one as well.

:hat:

I think it's a special type of liquor license and the town won't issue anymore. From what I understand, these bars did it to themselves. No one in the town cared about dancing afterhours until a few week ago when one of these places had the bright idea to bring in promoters and do a big party. Place got out of control, no security and the customers started trashing the place. Cops had to be called in and things got ugly. Town decided to eliminate the problem by enforcing the town law. These places without a caberet license got gready and one place screwed it up for them all.

"decided to eliminate the problem by enforcing the town law. These places without a caberet license got gready and one place screwed it up for them all."

I heard the same thing... But you are wrong- they screwed it up for all of us too. Central NJ doesn't have much too offer (Studio 9, Platinum, and a host of regular bars) as far as night life is concerned, this is definitely not a good thing..

"decided to eliminate the problem by enforcing the town law. These places without a caberet license got gready and one place screwed it up for them all."

I heard the same thing... But you are wrong- they screwed it up for all of us too. Central NJ doesn't have much too offer (Studio 9, Platinum, and a host of regular bars) as far as night life is concerned, this is definitely not a good thing..

Central Jersey has alot to offer in my book:

Studio 9

Deko

Poor Billys

R-Bar

Club Abyss for the 18 and over crowd

Platinum

Katmandu in Trenton

88 Keys in WoodBridge

Well maybe this is not alot to offer compared to North Jersey, but it is something, anyone know about a new place that may have opened up on route 1 in woodbridge where Vintage Vinyl is?

Let's not forget...GLO new brunswick has a caberet license. Great DJ's all week; Gerry Dun(Tuesday), Jason Ferrella(wednesday), John Feelgood (Friday) and Mark Amatucci joined by Esteban on Saturday nights.

Poorbilly's is sold from what I hear so expect a new venue there too.

Let's not forget...GLO new brunswick has a caberet license. Great DJ's all week; Gerry Dun(Tuesday), Jason Ferrella(wednesday), John Feelgood (Friday) and Mark Amatucci joined by Esteban on Saturday nights.

Poorbilly's is sold from what I hear so expect a new venue there too.

New venue at Poor Billys's huh I think it would be nice to see a change with this place, went to eat their about 2 weeks ago, and the food was really not that great. Plus I hate the nightlife they have going right now. So change may be good for Poor Billys.Forgot about Glo. What is the best night to chill at Glo?

I think it's a special type of liquor license and the town won't issue anymore. From what I understand, these bars did it to themselves. No one in the town cared about dancing afterhours until a few week ago when one of these places had the bright idea to bring in promoters and do a big party. Place got out of control, no security and the customers started trashing the place. Cops had to be called in and things got ugly. Town decided to eliminate the problem by enforcing the town law. These places without a caberet license got gready and one place screwed it up for them all.

which place was it that got promoters???? curious :)

I'm a big fan of Glo, but I left it off because you really can't dance there. The places being sanctioned will still be open late, but you won't be able to dance there either. Love it when they mix Live Music/DJ @ Glo (Congas or sax with the house music). Totally forgot about Deko too (like that place ALOT)- always have a great time there.

But...

Billy's passed it's prime 5 years ago. Abyss the same.

Kat Man Du is in Trenton, quite a hike for anyone in Middlesex/Somerset/Union County. Plus, I work in Trenton full time and wouldn't recommend anyone coming down here EVER. This place is a DUMP.

:beer:

New Brunswick is so stupid...I haven't hung out there in a year, but from what I remember those places attracted young professionals. All the crazy drunk people hung out on Easton Ave. I guess they want it to stay a college town/ghetto.

New Brunswick is so stupid...I haven't hung out there in a year, but from what I remember those places attracted young professionals. All the crazy drunk people hung out on Easton Ave. I guess they want it to stay a college town/ghetto. I guess they haven't been getting enough money from the parking tickets and open container violations lately.

I haven't been to new brunswick in ages..since te melody closed..one time a bunch of us tried Platinum and that was a hole in the wall..rancid..its good for college kids...there aren't many places in central jersey to choose from...if anyone had money and great ideas they could make a mint but alot of people go to nyc..its only 30 minutes away

I liked Platinum the couple of times I was there, but the crowd was kinda suspect. Lots of busted chicks stuffed into tiny outfits like Sausages!!

It's no hole in the wall though- Fridays there are really good (I'm told) and Saturdays aren't as busy, but it's a better crowd (less teeny boppers).

:bounce:

Platinum compared to deko..come on...platin. is in need of a major redesign. deko is classier..you actually get a glass for your drink..not a plastic cup..great djs..you can't compare the two..

platinum is a college crowd..

Melody was an alternative type place to hang out . I was not comparing those two..they are different species on another level.

back to the subject. :type:

Platinum compared to deko..come on...platin. is in need of a major redesign. deko is classier..you actually get a glass for your drink..not a plastic cup..great djs..you can't compare the two..

platinum is a college crowd..

Melody was an alternative type place to hang out . I was not comparing those two..they are different species on another level.

back to the subject. :type:

No one would ever compare those two places. DeKo is a Lounge, Platinum is a night club. Two different vibes.

The party level at Platinum is so high, there is No way drinks get put in glasses. Bunch of wild animals who know how to party!