Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Horrible Hawtin

What a disgrace to Techno!! Richie Hawtin had a great crowd but refused to deliver...would tease with about 1 minute of bass and the rest on the time the dancefloor was at a complete standstill because the beats were so cheesey. He used th same technique for about 5 hrs...fading the song in and out and then playing the bass for about a minute and fading a another song in!!! Uggghhh.

shame shame shame

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh wait...richie isnt a great dj?? get the fuck out of here...just cause u didnt like his set...he's automatically sub-par???

I mean I think its a terrible combination.

Ive heard hawtin since late 90s & if you read rhythmism, 75% of the spirit attendees thought he sucked.

hence my opinion that burridge shld not be teamed with hawtin

its an opinion, try not to go insane over an opinion slightly differnet from yours. ta.

1st time being to Spirit and 1st time hearing Richie or Lee play. I really liked what Lee was playing in the begining but wasn't too overly impressed as the night went on. I had to leave after the 3rd or 4th time Richie pretty muched stopped the music (ok, turned it down quite extensivly) to get the crowd to clap for him more. Don't get me wrong, I was dancing the whole night and enjoyed the experimentation of Richie's work but after hearing Lee play a few really good songs in the begining I feel let down.

So, I am not suprised that nobody here liked richie.

Lee played mainstream tech house music....nothing special, very generic.

Richie played detroit and berlin minimal techno....he also was using a cycloops/pvdj grabber...... and a custom made Allen and Heath mixer/midi controller......he wasnt "fading out" or "teasing" he was mixing, looping, and sampling.....

it's a totally different style of music from lee burridge, and it was hillarious to see so few people understanding richie's music.

Made "made" a huge mistake putting an amaizng DJ like richie with a Mainstream KTU style dj like lee burridge.

richie does bullshit with the minimalism though....4-5th hour into his set @ fabric last thanxgiving he started really going overboard..up 2 that point he was killin it...

best i ever heard was @ entrance in montenegro 2 years ago...just banged it out all nite

Personally, I had a really good time. I thought Lee played a very nice set. He wasn't as consistant as he was for that afterhours party but it was still a lot of fun. The track he played towards the end of his set with the woman breathing loudly over the minimal beats was sick... I thought he did a nice job setting it up for Richie and they complimented each other well...

As for Richie, I understand that his music isn't for everyone and that it's an acquired taste, but if you're not into minimal techno you're asking to be disappointed. He's touring in support of his new cd (de9 transitions) which is as minimal as it gets. I can understand people not getting it or not liking it, but in all honesty what were you expecting him to play?? With Richie you have to know coming in that he's going to experiment a ton. Sometimes with that experimentation comes periods where it seems like nothing is going on. His sets just don't flow like your typical DJ. If you can deal with that it might help some appreciate his music a little more.

As for Richie's set, I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't his best and it certainly wasn't his worst. I enjoyed some of the melodic stuff he was playing around 4-5AM. From 7-8:30 or so he was just mindfucking the shit out of everyone. All in all a fun night and I'll definitely be at Cielo when Richie comes back on 10/30...

It doesn't matter what gear or production methods you use - it is the final product that matters. I don't think that "looping" gives you an excuse to be boring - Chris Leibing will work 3 decks, two samplers, loop to hell, and still sound consistiently amazing - all the while smiling for pictures.

IMHO minimal just doesn't work in a big room, or on a night when you're looking to dance. Its nice basically as fluff, or background noise. Hawtin when he goes into his experimental "let's make the song so minimal that its not even there" mode is dull, but when he busts out the hard stuff he is better than anybody.

I remember once hearing hawtin starting to play a minimal set right after a 2hr misstress barabra technofest. I waited and waited for the song to start happening, but after a while it was evident that he had no intention of keeping up the energy, and the entire crowd (aside from maybe 6 chin-scratchers up front by the stage) was completely disappointed. Where is the power of cutting up the music live if you can't adapt to a crowd? That your dad rigged your A&H for you doesn't absolve you of the need to perform.

lol

most of u think richie still plays bangin techno.

well, things have changed. and they have been like that for over 2 years now.

if u follow richie's livesets, you know that he's unpredictable. one night he'll play minimal, the following night he'll experiment. another night, he'll jack it up a notch but one thing never changes... he's always bringin something different.

so he was paired up with lee burridge. a fabric resident, one half of tyrant and a dj with over more than a decade of experience. what's the fuss? lee played an opener which i thought was outstanding. i dont think ive ever heard lee play like that in my opinion. sure he's no techno dj. he doesn't claim to be one. why all the hate? if u guys wanted someone different in the lineup. book your own party.

ps - HAWTIN DOES NOT PLAY HARD TECHNO in case u didn't know...

who the fuck says minimal techno isn't supposed to be played at 5 am... if any of you witnessed the cocoon parties in ibiza this summer, than u know that's what they were dancing to during so called 'peak time'

thank you made events for trying something different. at least someone in this city has the balls to take chances like that. respect!

if i wanted to hear loops all night i couldda just stayed home and played with my virtual dj lol cutting out the bass every fucking 10 seconds.. hahha Garbage.. and i usually give dj's i have not heard before a second chance but i'm gonna skip this shit next time.. now Lee burridge was WAYY better.. just my two cents.

What a disgrace to Techno!! Richie Hawtin had a great crowd but refused to deliver...would tease with about 1 minute of bass and the rest on the time the dancefloor was at a complete standstill because the beats were so cheesey. He used th same technique for about 5 hrs...fading the song in and out and then playing the bass for about a minute and fading a another song in!!! Uggghhh.

shame shame shame

Who the fuck R U?????

Lee's set was just amazing. One of the better sets i have heard in a while. I thought that pairing the 2 was a great idea and overall i was very pleased with everything i heard. Truthfully, imo, Lee's set was better than hawtins.

For everyone who still thinks hawtin is spinning the music he produced and pioneered 10 years ago, its time to get with the program. Hawtin may have brought heavy bass techno to the scene, but now, he has "evolved" and is trying to bring exposure to a new genre of music. If anyone would take the time to download a couple of decent live sets before going out, you would have known what to expect.

Still amongst a few people there is a common complaint that i have to agree with. The handful of times that he lowered the music to almost nothing was a bit annoying. What I dont believe is that he did that so people could applause and fill his ego. I saw it as a method of mixing and blending minimal techno with those HARD techno bass drops. Regardless of what his intentions were when bring the volume down that much, he didnt need to do it so many times.

I was there from 1am - 630am or so .. had a great time hanging out with all the wonderful people from the bored. A welcomed surprised considering I ended up going to the party by myself. Thanks again to all for contributing to one of the more memorable nights of this year!

if i wanted to hear loops all night i couldda just stayed home and played with my virtual dj lol cutting out the bass every fucking 10 seconds.. hahha Garbage.. and i usually give dj's i have not heard before a second chance but i'm gonna skip this shit next time.. now Lee burridge was WAYY better.. just my two cents.

who r u to call any1 garbage?? u heard richie once and he's garbage...get the fuck out of here...with ur limited ass nyc clubbing exposure

i didn't go to the party, so i don't know if i have any right posting here..

i've read all the reviews on all the boards and what i think it comes down to, especially with someone like richie, is that this city is not used to that sound. we havent been exposed to it in big rooms LATELY or have had someone like him paired up with another dj who plays a completely different genre.

this might be too rash, but i also think people don't know their music, especially certain kinds of music and styles that are not the norm here. i've seen richie countless times, all in small rooms however, and there's no one like him who does what he does. you truly have to understand what his intentions are...richie never made me "dance" per say but what he did do was put me into a trance and made me a worship-like entity.. i appreciated him the most when i saw EVERY SINGLE OTHER person in the room was feeling, seeing and being what i was..

i suppose if some people were off and didn't get it.. they couldnt "get there" either.

Still amongst a few people there is a common complaint that i have to agree with. The handful of times that he lowered the music to almost nothing was a bit annoying. What I dont believe is that he did that so people could applause and fill his ego. I saw it as a method of mixing and blending minimal techno with those HARD techno bass drops. Regardless of what his intentions were when bring the volume down that much, he didnt need to do it so many times.

I was there from 1am - 630am or so ..

I believe what I'm talking about started around 7 - 7:30 I believe. I left around 8:30ish and this is after he did it a few times within the hour. From what I've heard of the guy I'm sure it just wasn't one of his better nights. The best songs tho were by Lee when I first walked in a bit before midnight and no one was there. He played a few tunes that were superb.

Guest onisakura

Honestly, was never a fan of Hawtin before....and I really believe that i had to hear him live to really appreciate his style. I thought it was great. I can understand how some people that are used to banging beats and "danceable" music might not have really liked it. Though i couldn't stop moving....

Had a blast with all you guys, i had a wonderful bday weekend!!!

See you guys for Halloween. ;)